Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. 10:42 - May 10 with 4127 viewsLord_Lucan

Serious question as it happens.

At what age did your body start to feel the wear and tear, does it get much worse and how do you help with this.

I've had a couple of years or so of getting a bit achy in the mornings I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting older. The easiest way to describe it is that I feel like I need a spray of WD40 in the mornings.

I was recently advised I have a lack of vitamin D so I am now on 50,000 MIUs a week.

Just wondered if there were any top tips and to whether it stabalises or gets worse and doesn't stop until you croak.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:06 - May 10 with 1526 viewsgtsb1966

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 11:53 - May 10 by J2BLUE

50,000 IU a week? Is that doctor recommendation or self prescribed? It's quite a dose.

Isn't 4000 a day the maximum recommended dose?
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:09 - May 10 with 1512 viewsurbanblue

Hi Lucan, I'm 62 and having played football up to veterans level until 48 as I went into my 50's those old aches started really kicking in. I took up swimming regularly and swim a kilometer 3 times a week. The best excercise both for cardio and a work of the muscles without jarring or damaging as you get with running etc

Then about 6 years ago my partner at the time, a yoga fanatic, bought me a yoga beginners class as a present. Having grown up with a generation that thought yoga was for wimps and not 'real' excercise I went begrudgingly. It was all a bit too 'Whoo Whoo' at the time for me but the stretches I learnt were great and I now practise them at home while listening to a podcast at home regularly. The increased flexibility and movement I found over time blew me away. Within a few months, touching toes, I went from not being able to get my hands much past my knees to being able to put my palms flat on the floor.

Now here's the thing. My normal routine is half an hour of stretches, but every morning I do a condensed version of 10 minutes that loosens the aches in the muscles. Any aches and creakiness can soon really lessen with a few stretches followed by a shower which I often take cold. That really sends the blood to the muscles which really helps. I mean 'really' helps!

Then I have a roll up with a coffee .....

Somehow, I don't think yoga would be your thing. It certainly wasn't mine (I still call it stretches) but boy, I wish I'd done the exercises when I played football.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 12:11]
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:12 - May 10 with 1504 viewsWallingford_Boy

Stretch daily.

And definitely before and after exercise.

Tight hamstrings = lower back problems.

Its all about stretching.

RIP Sir Bobby

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:21 - May 10 with 1476 viewsJ2BLUE

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:06 - May 10 by gtsb1966

Isn't 4000 a day the maximum recommended dose?

Not sure. I think that's quite a conservative limit but not 100% sure. Dr Fauci takes 6000 IU a day. I take 4000.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

[Redacted] on 12:21 - May 10 with 1474 viewsvictorywilhappen

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:09 - May 10 by urbanblue

Hi Lucan, I'm 62 and having played football up to veterans level until 48 as I went into my 50's those old aches started really kicking in. I took up swimming regularly and swim a kilometer 3 times a week. The best excercise both for cardio and a work of the muscles without jarring or damaging as you get with running etc

Then about 6 years ago my partner at the time, a yoga fanatic, bought me a yoga beginners class as a present. Having grown up with a generation that thought yoga was for wimps and not 'real' excercise I went begrudgingly. It was all a bit too 'Whoo Whoo' at the time for me but the stretches I learnt were great and I now practise them at home while listening to a podcast at home regularly. The increased flexibility and movement I found over time blew me away. Within a few months, touching toes, I went from not being able to get my hands much past my knees to being able to put my palms flat on the floor.

Now here's the thing. My normal routine is half an hour of stretches, but every morning I do a condensed version of 10 minutes that loosens the aches in the muscles. Any aches and creakiness can soon really lessen with a few stretches followed by a shower which I often take cold. That really sends the blood to the muscles which really helps. I mean 'really' helps!

Somehow, I don't think yoga would be your thing. It certainly wasn't mine (I still call it stretches) but boy, I wish I'd done the exercises when I played football.

[Redacted]
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:26 - May 10 with 1451 viewsurbanblue

[Redacted] on 12:21 - May 10 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Hope you're doing well mate. Sorry we never managed to hook up and have that beer a few years ago. Not in Oz any more? You coming back some time?
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:26 - May 10 with 1450 viewsJ2BLUE

Sounds like Lucan needs one of these:

Swimming treadmill.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:29 - May 10 with 1445 viewsKropotkin123

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 11:48 - May 10 by BloomBlue

It gradually gets worse, everything starts to break-down but it will all go away once you crock it.

Seriously I actually found things don't necessarily break-down more they just take a flipping lot longer to heal. In my early 60s I did the nerves in one arm, it took probably 4 months for it to get back to normal, whereas if I had been in my early 20's it probably would have been 2 weeks at max.

I found exercise to be key in helping everything to keep moving and taking the dogs out every day for long walks helped greatly. Although I would add a lot of the oldies I know who have been exercising for years often had it worse, ie regular joggers having hip replacements on both hips in their early 60s. Also obviously what you eat/drink will impact you, but I don't believe in a 'one size fits all' when it comes to food and drink I think you have to try and understand what works for you.

My current GP is great, tells it how it is and often his answer is "it's you age you have to live with it". But he always makes a good point as we get older we never change things, the chair we sit it 'we never change it' the bed we sleep in 'we never change the mattress, we don't even turn it' . So the things we use are breaking down which often add to the problem ie waking up with a back pain caused by the mattress , a pain that will now take longer to go away because of our age.

Unfortunately ultimately the body does start to break-down as we get older, but I do feel you can help manage it

It's a really good point. In my early 20s I was getting back pain. As soon as I got a new mattress, the issues went away.

I think age must compound issues like that.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:52 - May 10 with 1407 viewsBarcaBlue

Born in '65 too. Started the aches and pains a couple of years ago, took up hiking and that's helped a lot - probably just the first mild exercise in 30 years but that's my thing now and feel a lot better for it.

For general health you need a rock star barometer. Choose a couple, say Keith Richards and Shaun Ryder and if they're still active and breathing you probably have plenty of time left.
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:59 - May 10 with 1398 viewsnoggin

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 11:03 - May 10 by Radlett_blue

It's age, simple as that. All you can do is manage it - try to stay reasonably fit by being active & try not to let your weight keep creeping up. A stretching routine each morning can help.

That's about it I reckon. Pills and potions are not the answer, imho.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:02 - May 10 with 1383 viewsMeadowlark

Is there an online version of these stretches?
Sounds perfect.
[Redacted] on 13:05 - May 10 with 1370 viewsvictorywilhappen

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:26 - May 10 by urbanblue

Hope you're doing well mate. Sorry we never managed to hook up and have that beer a few years ago. Not in Oz any more? You coming back some time?

[Redacted]
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:06 - May 10 with 1365 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Greetings Lucan.
I will concur with the other posters re taking supplements like cod liver oil, turmeric, vitamin D etc. It doesn’t stop you needing WD40 first thing in the morning but it certainly helps. As my job requires being active and a fair amount of physical labour, I ache like a bastard some mornings but is much worse if I don’t take them for a few days. Take myself off fishing if stress levels and aches and pains get a bit too much and all is well with the world again.
Get a decent hair trimmer for the unwanted hair that will start sprouting from your ears and nose too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:22 - May 10 with 1314 viewsurbanblue

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:06 - May 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

Greetings Lucan.
I will concur with the other posters re taking supplements like cod liver oil, turmeric, vitamin D etc. It doesn’t stop you needing WD40 first thing in the morning but it certainly helps. As my job requires being active and a fair amount of physical labour, I ache like a bastard some mornings but is much worse if I don’t take them for a few days. Take myself off fishing if stress levels and aches and pains get a bit too much and all is well with the world again.
Get a decent hair trimmer for the unwanted hair that will start sprouting from your ears and nose too.

... and make sure you're never too far from a urinal!
[Redacted] on 13:22 - May 10 with 1314 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:23 - May 10 with 1311 viewslongtimefan

I’m 60 this year and the last 5 years have seen quite an increase in general body issues, aches and pains (especially joints) and a notable deterioration in general body strength. Much of this is probably just age but I think a lot of it related to back problems that forced me to give up all my sporting activities around 7 years ago. Up until then I’d referee a couple of matches a week and play cricket during the summer and kept pretty fit, though even from early forties it was quite noticeable that recovery time from any injuries extended quite dramatically. Fortunately over the last two years my back problems have eased and I’m at least able to go for daily walks now which has had a real beneficial effect, both on my weight and general well-being.
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:28 - May 10 with 1292 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 13:22 - May 10 by urbanblue

... and make sure you're never too far from a urinal!

Indeed. I do make a mental note of places to piss nowadays when out and about.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 14:24 - May 10 with 1246 viewsLord_Lucan

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 11:53 - May 10 by J2BLUE

50,000 IU a week? Is that doctor recommendation or self prescribed? It's quite a dose.

Doctors prescription.

Weird thing is I take it in one dose once a week.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 14:37 - May 10 with 1227 viewsKeno

My one serious contribution to this thread is to try and stay positive and mentally active.

I am a firm believer in positive thinking and not letting too many negative, dark thoughts creep in. And no at times that isnt always easy.

Over the years I have learnt a few triggers and methods of helping with that and as I get older I find they become more important.

Yes bits ache (knees, feet and shoulder), yes I have tinnitus, yes I cant run a mile in four hours let alone four minutes but I think trying staying bright and not letting anything get to you too much is as important as some of the other bits mentioned in the thread

so, altogether now

Always look on the bright side of life ......

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 15:37 - May 10 with 1173 viewsLord_Lucan

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 12:12 - May 10 by Wallingford_Boy

Stretch daily.

And definitely before and after exercise.

Tight hamstrings = lower back problems.

Its all about stretching.

"Stretch daily.

And definitely before and after exercise"

WTF!! - As far as I am concerned stretching IS exercise.

NSOldie - How the hell are you? Good to see you are about.

Urban - I would be interested in knowing more about the yoga thing.

Both of you - My biggest fear is emphysema but I have an important question. I like smoking but would give up if I knew it would prevent emphysema - but I would be annoyed if I gave up and still got it. What do you think?
[Post edited 10 May 2021 15:42]

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 16:31 - May 10 with 1132 viewsLeaky

Enjoy life you could be dead tomorrow.
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 16:37 - May 10 with 1118 viewseireblue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WN1FKSL/
Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 16:39 - May 10 with 1114 viewsnoggin

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 15:37 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

"Stretch daily.

Both of you - My biggest fear is emphysema but I have an important question. I like smoking but would give up if I knew it would prevent emphysema - but I would be annoyed if I gave up and still got it. What do you think?

Stop smoking. COPD is one of the most progressive and uncomfortable diseases, and once you have it, it won't get better. It will destroy your life. I see it every day in my work and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Even if you already have it, stopping can slow it considerably.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 16:39 - May 10 with 1114 viewsjeera

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 15:37 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

"Stretch daily.

Not emphysema but the other big one:

Many moons back a chap I knew on Felixstowe's weekday market had just given up smoking.

I was there as he was chatting to an elderly couple about it when the old girl asked his age.

He relied he had just turned 30 and she ummed and ahhed a bit and then announced he might have saved himself if he was lucky.

I hadn't seen him in donkey years but discovered last year he has since died of you know what.

Whether emphysema can still catch up with you years down the line in a similar way i don't know but giving up can't be a bad thing, especially as you want to give yourself the best chance of seeing the grandkids growing up a bit.

As for matey, I have wondered before if you might have known him too through his line of trade and have meant to ask once or twice.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Elder TW4TDERS body malfunctioning advice. on 16:42 - May 10 with 1100 viewsbluelagos

Everyone reaches tipping point sooner or later. You've had a good run Lucan, years of alcohol, tobacco and no doubt some other substances. All good fun and why not.

Now it's downhill. Body starting to say enough is enough.

Your choice is to look after yourself or carry on a downward spiral. It's that simple.

Lagos had some some guys who lived on the edge. And died young. It happens. No point sugar coating it - you takes and makes your choice.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024