Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Voter ID 08:48 - May 11 with 9136 viewsGuthrum

Not seen this discussed on here. The Government will be bringing in legislation requiring photo ID in order to vote in person. That's all well and good for those with a driving licence and/or a passport.

But there needs to be a cheap and easily accessible scheme for those who do not have either. Many of such people will be the poor or the elderly (who may have not renewed the ones they had). Those groups are also the least internet accessible. Otherwise you are effectively dienfranchising those people or, at the very least, putting a price upon the ability to vote.

Such a scheme of voting photo ID would have to be very affordable, even for those on benefits (subsidised, even), easy to access (both on- and offline) and secure (something these things have not always been).

All this in the name of eradicating something which is an infinitesimally small problem (one conviction for impersonatin at a polling station in the 2017 election: https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Fraud-allega ). Presumably because they think introducing a national ID card system would create too much of a row (again).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Voter ID on 10:31 - May 11 with 878 viewsEwan_Oozami

Voter ID on 10:19 - May 11 by Bluefish

Is it really though? Is it really too much to expect someone to show ID for voting for the leaders of the country? The most important and open to corruption thing that we do in our lives.

We all happily show ID to buy alcohol (at times in our lives), go on holiday, collect a package, drive a car, open a bank account, register a kid for school, start a job etc etc

Seems just a lazy argument when it comes to voting

It's not the ID as such that's the issue, people can normally bring something that confirms their identity - it's the forms of identity that will be allowed that's the issue..

Oh, and people aren't voting for the leaders of the country, they're voting for someone in a particular party to represent them - not sure voting is the most important thing people do in their lives either (at least as far as they are concerned) - and many the things you mention below are not relevant to the people the Govt is aiming at with this measure....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Voter ID on 10:32 - May 11 with 874 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 10:07 - May 11 by itfcjoe

They'll allow pension books or something to be used - it will be deliberately aimed at the young, and the poor

Pension books ?

An aside to this, is a couple of years back Ihad to renew my driving license, meaning an updated photo.

Being an inveterate miser, I rummaged through a box of photos and found two photo booth ones I had left over.... from my last driving licence.

I added one to the form, which was identical, and duly sent it off. Back it came ok, meaning I now have a photo licence that is around 15 years out of date, and has me with a sun tan, as well.

What happens when people are challenged at the vote ? Will others have to wait ?

It smacks of the 'right' yet again opposing the lawful democratic process.

Forced MPs to the Supreme court to uphold the sovereignty of Parliament, likewise the legislative to block moves to close Parliament. Every progress towards universal suffrage over the years has been met with opposition from the right of politics. This is just another crude attempt at reversing that progress.

A leopard does not change its spots
Voter ID on 10:44 - May 11 with 850 viewsBluefish

Voter ID on 10:31 - May 11 by Ewan_Oozami

It's not the ID as such that's the issue, people can normally bring something that confirms their identity - it's the forms of identity that will be allowed that's the issue..

Oh, and people aren't voting for the leaders of the country, they're voting for someone in a particular party to represent them - not sure voting is the most important thing people do in their lives either (at least as far as they are concerned) - and many the things you mention below are not relevant to the people the Govt is aiming at with this measure....

Not voting for the leaders of the country is an odd take

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Voter ID on 10:46 - May 11 with 851 viewsClapham_Junction

Voter ID on 10:31 - May 11 by Ewan_Oozami

Even if it's non-photographic ID, there are still many people that won't have it, particularly young and less wealthy people. I live in a rented flat and council tax and utilities are included in my rent. All my bank statements are online, so I get very few formal letters with my name and address on.

I do have a driving licence, but many people in areas like mine where 60% of households don't have a car won't have.
Voter ID on 10:54 - May 11 with 835 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 10:46 - May 11 by Clapham_Junction

Even if it's non-photographic ID, there are still many people that won't have it, particularly young and less wealthy people. I live in a rented flat and council tax and utilities are included in my rent. All my bank statements are online, so I get very few formal letters with my name and address on.

I do have a driving licence, but many people in areas like mine where 60% of households don't have a car won't have.

It cannot be identity as in utility bill etc, as that simply invalidates the idea. How can one bill be used by 3 adults....what does it prove ?

the photo is to ensure that the John Smith on the ballot paper is the same as the John Smith on the corresponding ID.

Though the thought has to be that if this is Johnsons idea then someone will whisper in his ear, and like pretty much all other lunacy he spouts it will be dropped.
Voter ID on 10:55 - May 11 with 830 viewsEwan_Oozami

Voter ID on 10:44 - May 11 by Bluefish

Not voting for the leaders of the country is an odd take

It's not a Presidential election.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Voter ID on 10:56 - May 11 with 825 viewslongtimefan

I still have a valid non-photo driving licence!
Voter ID on 10:58 - May 11 with 816 viewsWeWereZombies

Voter ID on 10:54 - May 11 by HARRY10

It cannot be identity as in utility bill etc, as that simply invalidates the idea. How can one bill be used by 3 adults....what does it prove ?

the photo is to ensure that the John Smith on the ballot paper is the same as the John Smith on the corresponding ID.

Though the thought has to be that if this is Johnsons idea then someone will whisper in his ear, and like pretty much all other lunacy he spouts it will be dropped.

Also, in other parts of the World thumbprints are used for voter identification so why has that not been suggested? Hmmm, I wonder how many Tory voters would not turn up at the Polling Station if they were worried about their right to vote being compared with Police records - or have I been watching too much 'Line of Duty'?
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:07]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Voter ID on 11:14 - May 11 with 793 viewsBluefish

Voter ID on 10:55 - May 11 by Ewan_Oozami

It's not a Presidential election.....

Yes dear quite obviously and that would be leader not leaders

Voter ID on 11:16 - May 11 with 793 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 10:58 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

Also, in other parts of the World thumbprints are used for voter identification so why has that not been suggested? Hmmm, I wonder how many Tory voters would not turn up at the Polling Station if they were worried about their right to vote being compared with Police records - or have I been watching too much 'Line of Duty'?
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:07]

simply put some form off mark on their hand etc, that wears off after a day or so

or do what train ticket collectors do, and in this case clip a hole in their lug

and if unsure as to whether they are seen as totally out of touch, one of Johnsons fellow idiots put this up in defence

""Showing ID is something people do when they pick up a parcel at the post office or a library book."

the ID there does not require a photo
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:19]
Voter ID on 11:25 - May 11 with 774 viewsWeWereZombies

Voter ID on 11:14 - May 11 by Bluefish

Yes dear quite obviously and that would be leader not leaders

Not representatives then?

Voter ID on 11:36 - May 11 with 761 viewsIpswichKnight

Voter ID on 11:16 - May 11 by HARRY10

simply put some form off mark on their hand etc, that wears off after a day or so

or do what train ticket collectors do, and in this case clip a hole in their lug

and if unsure as to whether they are seen as totally out of touch, one of Johnsons fellow idiots put this up in defence

""Showing ID is something people do when they pick up a parcel at the post office or a library book."

the ID there does not require a photo
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:19]

Who is checking for fake documents? Polling staff? I work in this area and can tell you all that one nation state is collecting US and UK citizens identity documents through a dedicated phishing attack ( mainly directed at professionals and universities and people are stupid enough to fall for it, no coincidence that there has been a GCHQ/NCSC campaign out about LinkedIn ). Fake documents are rife on the dark web and on sale via places like Snapchat, WhatsApp and other social media channels ( one even popped up on TWTD last year ).
Voter ID on 11:36 - May 11 with 760 viewsbrazil1982

Voter ID on 09:10 - May 11 by Clapham_Junction

Even if voluntary, free ID is introduced, I'd imagine a relatively large chunk of people won't get it because either they don't understand that they have to, don't understand the process, or don't have time to do it.

Must be hell when they collect a parcel from the sorting office.
Voter ID on 13:02 - May 11 with 723 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 11:36 - May 11 by brazil1982

You don't need photo ID to collect a parcel.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Voter ID on 13:37 - May 11 with 698 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 13:02 - May 11 by Herbivore

I do wonder if some folk even have a brain to engage

meanwhile it gets worse as the time scale for non UK residents (British) being allowed to vote is to be extended to beyond 15 years

a sort of representation without taxation

and one rather disturbing question is who decides where your vote is allocated i.e. what constituency.

as

"given that voter registers no longer exist for periods that go back earlier than 15 years. We have to find some way of allocating those individuals to constituencies and verifying a previous place of residence.”

so if you are 16, at work and paying tax you cannot have a say by voting - however if you left the country 50, 60, 70 years ago you can now vote, and even decide where your vote will be used

and you won't even have to have photo ID to vote either
Voter ID on 13:39 - May 11 with 692 viewsBluefish

Voter ID on 13:02 - May 11 by Herbivore

Yes you do

Voter ID on 13:54 - May 11 with 667 viewsClapham_Junction

Voter ID on 13:39 - May 11 by Bluefish

Yes you do

No you don't. From the Royal Mail website, the list of acceptable ID includes:
- Credit or debit card
- Bank or building society cheque/savings book

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/146/~/how-to-collect
Voter ID on 13:55 - May 11 with 660 viewsBluefish

Voter ID on 13:54 - May 11 by Clapham_Junction

No you don't. From the Royal Mail website, the list of acceptable ID includes:
- Credit or debit card
- Bank or building society cheque/savings book

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/146/~/how-to-collect

I've always taken photos ID. You need photo ID to collect many click and collect parcels. Go outdoor wouldn't give me my daughters walking boots

Voter ID on 14:14 - May 11 with 642 viewsWeWereZombies

Voter ID on 11:36 - May 11 by brazil1982

Those poor postmen, will nobody think of the postmen...

[edit} and if they are collecting a sackload do they have to show ID for each separate parcel?
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:20]

Voter ID on 14:20 - May 11 with 636 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 13:39 - May 11 by Bluefish

Yes you do

Nope.

Voter ID on 14:22 - May 11 with 633 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 13:55 - May 11 by Bluefish

I've always taken photos ID. You need photo ID to collect many click and collect parcels. Go outdoor wouldn't give me my daughters walking boots

You may have always taken photo ID to pick up from the Royal Mail depot but you don't need to. When I've done click and collect with Go Outdoors I've only had to show them the email on my phone, never had to show photo ID. The things you need photo ID for are pretty minimal.

Voter ID on 15:34 - May 11 with 608 viewstractordownsouth

It’s voter suppression. If it was actually about proving ID, the government could just ask voters to bring their polling card.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Voter ID on 15:41 - May 11 with 588 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 13:55 - May 11 by Bluefish

Wrong, photo ID only applies, as

What do I need to bring to collect my order?
There are a few things we’ll need to see when you visit our store to collect your order. So, please don’t forget to either:
- Bring a copy of this email, or
- Your mobile phone to show us a text message to prove the order is yours

Can someone collect on my behalf?
If you’re too busy, or simply enjoying yourself in the great outdoors, we’re more than happy for someone else to collect your order. But to prevent fraud, all we ask is that the person you’ve nominated must present your email or text message and their photo ID (passport or photo driving licence).

I didn't even need photo ID to find that out either - instead I used the cunning trick of looking on their website
Voter ID on 15:53 - May 11 with 569 viewsPinewoodblue

Bus passes for young, and old, include a photo. Let's wait and see what is in the detail.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Voter ID on 16:14 - May 11 with 549 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 15:53 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

Bus passes for young, and old, include a photo. Let's wait and see what is in the detail.

Perhaps Parliament should follow that line.

It would save this afternoons response and debate.

And would make the Queens speech rather redundant, as that did not include any details either
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024