Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Voter ID 08:48 - May 11 with 9139 viewsGuthrum

Not seen this discussed on here. The Government will be bringing in legislation requiring photo ID in order to vote in person. That's all well and good for those with a driving licence and/or a passport.

But there needs to be a cheap and easily accessible scheme for those who do not have either. Many of such people will be the poor or the elderly (who may have not renewed the ones they had). Those groups are also the least internet accessible. Otherwise you are effectively dienfranchising those people or, at the very least, putting a price upon the ability to vote.

Such a scheme of voting photo ID would have to be very affordable, even for those on benefits (subsidised, even), easy to access (both on- and offline) and secure (something these things have not always been).

All this in the name of eradicating something which is an infinitesimally small problem (one conviction for impersonatin at a polling station in the 2017 election: https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Fraud-allega ). Presumably because they think introducing a national ID card system would create too much of a row (again).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Voter ID on 11:17 - May 12 with 1352 viewsSwansea_Blue

Voter ID on 11:01 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

You don't, but if you pick up a polling card belonging to someone else you have all the details you need to vote.

I'm amazed to see so many people opposed to showing ID to vote. Makes me wonder what the real reason is for this opposition?

Looking forward to this measure being implemented. As I said, long overdue and the fact all the right people are having a meltdown over it shows it's a very good decision.

The real reason I suspect is beacuse there is provably not an issue with voter impersonation, whereas it has been shown that introducing ID does impact significantly on the numbers of people who vote. Democracies are supposed to make it easier for people to vote. That has to be policed of course, and it is. There were only 6 cases of voting fraaud in all the 2019 elections, local, national and European. And not all of those 6 were due to imprersonation (I think only 1 was, may be more, but tinty, tiny number).

Whereas we're looking at potentialllly 000s of people being discouraged from voting if these measures come in. And proportionally those groups most adfected are less likely to vote Conservative. So there's your real reason.

I don't think 'owning the libs' is a particulalry smart way to judge the effectiveness of process changes either.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Voter ID on 11:18 - May 12 with 1352 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

You don't, but if you pick up a polling card belonging to someone else you have all the details you need to vote.

I'm amazed to see so many people opposed to showing ID to vote. Makes me wonder what the real reason is for this opposition?

Looking forward to this measure being implemented. As I said, long overdue and the fact all the right people are having a meltdown over it shows it's a very good decision.

There are two things yanking my chain about this and neither are about the issue of Voter ID per se.

First it is addressing a minor problem - there are more pressing issues that need to be addressed "to protect democracy, the transparency and integrity of" politics in this country (most, unfortunately, involving the current and at least one former Prime Minister and questions of accountability).

Second we have no idea of how this will all work specifically for those who do not currently have some sort of "acceptable" photo ID. The concern is that all the noises being made about free ID and a simple process will turn out to be just that, noise.

There will be other issues to be extrapolated from this step (compulsory ID cards, ID cards for football, vaccination ID, etc) which may or may not prove to be valid. Of course there are also questions about why this piece of potential legislation made it into the Queen's speech ahead of, to take a random example, an employment bill looking at (amongst other things) zero-hours contracts.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Voter ID on 11:57 - May 12 with 1320 viewsClapham_Junction

I would have no problem with this if the UK had a national ID card system like many other countries and everyone had an ID card. But the fact we don't means that many people will be impacted - as has been pointed out repeatedly, it's being done because the government knows that the people who are less likely to have or get ID cards are people who vote against them.
Voter ID on 13:04 - May 12 with 1297 viewsHARRY10

I would hardly describe the right people as having a meltdown, they are simply pointing out the lies that underpin this nonsense. Those right people being Civil liberties groups, electoral reformers and senior MPs on both sides of the Commons.

And those in the know have Max Hardy said in 16 years as a criminal barrister he has “never done an electoral fraud/ voter impersonation case” and doesn’t know anyone who has.

Even Matt Hancock admitted this morning that there only six cases of voter fraud at the last election. About the same number of cases Johnson is facing of 'trying to hide from Parliament gifts he had trousered'.

And some might further compare the bloated buffoons support for this with his previous thoughts on ID cards - he voted 12 times against them.

And I doubt it has gone unnoticed that the same forelock tugging rightie toadies have crawling out of the woodwork in defence of something they have never bothered with before.

However their 'betters' know best it would seem.... yet again.
Voter ID on 13:13 - May 12 with 1278 viewsThe_Last_Baron

What we need now is a crack down on postal voting and proxy voting. Two other areas which need tightening.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Voter ID on 13:14 - May 12 with 1281 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 13:13 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

What we need now is a crack down on postal voting and proxy voting. Two other areas which need tightening.

Your Trump impression is a really lame act. It got tired some time ago now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Voter ID on 13:16 - May 12 with 1271 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Voter ID on 13:14 - May 12 by Herbivore

I feel your pain sir.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Voter ID on 13:19 - May 12 with 1256 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 13:16 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

I feel your pain sir.

I'm sure you do. You have to live with being you full-time.

Login to get fewer ads

Voter ID on 13:19 - May 12 with 1257 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 13:14 - May 12 by Herbivore

as the righties would have

'better to live on your knees, than to stand up for yourself'
Voter ID on 13:25 - May 12 with 1235 viewsTJS

I voted conservative at the last election (I normally vote Lib Dem) but I will definitely not be voting conservative again if this goes through.
Even if you could register for free photo ID it would still be another obstacle in the way of people casting their vote.
Voter ID on 13:33 - May 12 with 1214 viewsm14_blue

Voter ID on 13:25 - May 12 by TJS

I voted conservative at the last election (I normally vote Lib Dem) but I will definitely not be voting conservative again if this goes through.
Even if you could register for free photo ID it would still be another obstacle in the way of people casting their vote.

What on earth about this current iteration of the tories appealed to a Lib Dem voter??

Genuine question.
Voter ID on 13:37 - May 12 with 1200 viewsTJS

Voter ID on 13:33 - May 12 by m14_blue

What on earth about this current iteration of the tories appealed to a Lib Dem voter??

Genuine question.

I couldn't vote Lib Dem as they wanted to directly cancel the democratic result of the referendum (even though I voted remain).
Voter ID on 14:03 - May 12 with 1167 viewsEwan_Oozami

Voter ID on 13:37 - May 12 by TJS

I couldn't vote Lib Dem as they wanted to directly cancel the democratic result of the referendum (even though I voted remain).

So you voted *against* a party that wanted to overturn a democratic referendum but would never in be in position to do so, and *for* a party that wanted to introduce the democracy-reducing voter-suppressing voter id scheme which would most likely be in a position to do so??

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Voter ID on 14:09 - May 12 with 1147 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 14:03 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

So you voted *against* a party that wanted to overturn a democratic referendum but would never in be in position to do so, and *for* a party that wanted to introduce the democracy-reducing voter-suppressing voter id scheme which would most likely be in a position to do so??

And a party that had literally a few months before the GE illegally prorogued the democratically elected Parliament in order to try to force through what it wanted. I do find it odd that the Tories can do almost anything and people will still vote for them. Other parties have to work hard to convince people to vote for them, the Tories just have to exist.

Voter ID on 14:30 - May 12 with 1118 viewsHARRY10

He is lying, as the referendum result could not be 'overturned' -it was only ever advice, not binding.

The decision on that advice was to be taken by MPs through Parliament being sovereign. Something that had to be reinforced through the courts, as the Torys sought to block that sovereignty - much as the executive again tried to block the legislative by closing Parliament.

And adding the word democratic rather suggests the meaning of the word is not understood and was used to somehow validate a bit of incorrect twaddle.
Voter ID on 14:32 - May 12 with 1115 viewsSarge

Voter ID on 16:17 - May 11 by clive_baker

Great.

Voter IQ next.

This is an absolute necessity but would amount to massive voter suppression as it would remove the entirety of the Conservative base.
Voter ID on 14:32 - May 12 with 1115 viewsTJS

So I should never vote Lib Dem as they will never be in a position to do anything ??
Voter ID on 14:35 - May 12 with 1102 viewsEwan_Oozami

Voter ID on 14:32 - May 12 by TJS

So I should never vote Lib Dem as they will never be in a position to do anything ??

Not at all, but right there is the argument for PR.....

Voter ID on 14:40 - May 12 with 1083 viewsTJS

Voter ID on 14:35 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

Not at all, but right there is the argument for PR.....

I voted in favour of electoral reform in the referendum 10 years ago.
Shame nearly all Labour and Conservative supporters voted against it.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:41]
Voter ID on 14:46 - May 12 with 1066 viewsClapham_Junction

Voter ID on 14:40 - May 12 by TJS

I voted in favour of electoral reform in the referendum 10 years ago.
Shame nearly all Labour and Conservative supporters voted against it.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:41]

A (narrow) majority of Labour supporters voted in favour in the AV referendum.

According to the paper linked below, "among those casting a ballot, 80 per cent of Liberal
Democrat identifiers voted Yes in the referendum and fully 88 per cent of Conservative
identifiers voted No. However, Labour partisans were closely divided, with 46 per cent
voting No and 54 per cent voting Yes."

http://repository.essex.ac.uk/3592/3/54a185d30cf267bdb902c13d.pdf
Voter ID on 14:58 - May 12 with 1051 viewsTJS

Voter ID on 14:46 - May 12 by Clapham_Junction

A (narrow) majority of Labour supporters voted in favour in the AV referendum.

According to the paper linked below, "among those casting a ballot, 80 per cent of Liberal
Democrat identifiers voted Yes in the referendum and fully 88 per cent of Conservative
identifiers voted No. However, Labour partisans were closely divided, with 46 per cent
voting No and 54 per cent voting Yes."

http://repository.essex.ac.uk/3592/3/54a185d30cf267bdb902c13d.pdf

OK - I stand corrected.
It doesn't change the fact that Labour leaders have never really properly supported electoral reform though.
Voter ID on 15:02 - May 12 with 1039 viewsEwan_Oozami

Voter ID on 14:58 - May 12 by TJS

OK - I stand corrected.
It doesn't change the fact that Labour leaders have never really properly supported electoral reform though.

They will be very soon, thanks to the LCER group (worth following on Twitter)

Voter ID on 15:12 - May 12 with 1026 viewsCrawfordsboot

I suspect that this has very little to do with voter rights and gerrymandering. Instead it will serve as a very useful diversion from serious issues that threaten to catch the tories once the COVID dust has settled. Contracts for fellow pigs with snouts in the trough, undeclared benefits, lobbying etc.
Voter ID on 15:22 - May 12 with 1011 viewsClapham_Junction

Voter ID on 14:58 - May 12 by TJS

OK - I stand corrected.

Except for the one who campaigned for it in that vote
Voter ID on 16:24 - May 12 with 969 views26_Paz

Completely agree.
Those who think this is some kind of nefarious attempt at ‘cheating’ by the Tories need to consider that it tends to be older people who won’t have a passport or driving licence. Older people overwhelmingly vote Tory so if the Tories are doing this to try and ‘steal’ elections it would make no sense whatsoever!

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024