Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert 13:57 - May 11 with 5079 viewsRadlett_blue

I thought he was a poor appointment at the time, having had little success in 6 years after leaving the Budgies. However, I think we can now see that the squad he inherited from Hurst was nowhere near good enough to stay up or cruise to promotion.
He got Hurst's 2018 signings - all no more than average League 1 performers.
A good Championship keeper who had lost his form.
A few solid Championship players who were in decline e.g. Chambers, Skuse, Sears.
A bunch of youngsters, who with the exception of Downes still haven't really proven themselves as even solid League 1 players.
A few indifferent loan players.
Most of his signings, on a negligible budget, weren't terrible.
So, while he wasn't great, the real problem was the mess he inherited. Cook got even less out of this squad & he has a huge job on his hands for next season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:07 - May 11 with 1181 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:09 - May 11 with 1175 viewsBluefish

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:26 - May 11 by TieDyedIn95

How much of that was his choice, and how much of that was Evans though?

Lambert may not have had the luxury of throwing them under the bus as Cook has, just see what O'Neil said about Lambert offloading Janoi Donacien and being told because we spent a lot on him, we couldn't sell because we wouldn't make it back, so thus he hung on. How many more were like this? In fact the transfer window we had when we could have stayed up was drastically underfunded, and if Evans thought that was enough he should have had no complaints about the League One losses because when your staring relegation in the face and the best you can afford is half fit Judge, Keane and ... Colin Quaner then you get what you deserve. We did, and have done, for years. Peanuts, monkeys and so on.

Lamberts approach was to somewhat baby these guys and you can kind of see why, whenever the going got tough they collapsed like a pack of cards. He signed a couple of great players on paper in KVY and Norwood and they have both been injured, if they had both been fit all season for both this and last we'd have probably made the playoffs each time. That's how fine a margin success and failure was for Lambert was here.

If he'd have shut his trap he'd have probably had a bit more sympathy from the support but I genuinely think he wanted the sack at the end.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:26]

Just so we are clear have you just said the highest paid player in our history was on peanuts?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:10 - May 11 with 1175 viewsBluefish

FOPRP

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:10 - May 11 with 1179 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:58 - May 11 by PJH

I know that you keep ruling out various games that Lambert was nominally in charge to suit your arguments but I am interested as to how you arrive at 17 points from his last 16.

It seems to me that if his last game 'in charge' was Northampton it is 18 points, if Oxford it is 19 and if Peterborough it is 20.

Northampton

You're right too. It's actually both 18 points for both managers.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:12 - May 11 with 1156 viewsPJH

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:10 - May 11 by chrismakin

Northampton

You're right too. It's actually both 18 points for both managers.

So you will edit your factually incorrect statement?
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:13 - May 11 with 1155 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:00 - May 11 by chrismakin

Sir Philip can certainly vouch for the paranoia. It's been known

In regards to his absence at the training ground and his mannerisms. It was discussed at length on here many times. ( not started by me) there was a direct mention at the time of how out of the club he was a joker etc but you never saw that side of him which was needed.

That's very different to "he barely spoke to players during the week and when he did speak he was miserable, paranoid and upset everyone."

As i said, surprising there's no official story on this, particularly when so many players have left and Lambert himself left quite a while ago.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:16 - May 11 with 1153 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:03 - May 11 by clive_baker

Lambert spoke some sense. We had ridiculous amounts of injuries, if you look at some of the core members of our squad like Downes, KVY, Norwood, Nolan they've played <20 times this season. Woolfenden only 24. ME cut so many corners and while Lambert kept his cards close to his chest re. 'structure', there was a lot of merit in what he was saying. It's only since the new owners have come in they're actually addressing those issues.

That said I don't buy that he was unlucky, he mismanaged us and underperformed relative to the other clubs in L1. At Championship level fair enough, we didn't put up a massive fight but I never once blamed him for our relegation. Once down here, he was distant, unapproachable, generally a massive ar5e and unlikeable. Many of the players neither liked nor respected him, and he all but checked out at least a year before he was belatedly put out of his misery. He worked with one of the largest wage bills in the league, and while his permanent recruitment was OK, he bloated the squad with loan players that seemingly had little strategic thought behind. On balance he wasn't dealt the best hand, but he played his cards terribly.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 15:04]

Yeah, it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:20 - May 11 with 1138 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:12 - May 11 by PJH

So you will edit your factually incorrect statement?

I just did in my reply to you.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:21 - May 11 with 1134 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:06 - May 11 by chrismakin

The money talk hasnt come from the owners. They've confirmed how its been set up and confirmed the fans dont need to worry about the financial stability of the club. In theory they have said no different to anything Evans ever said.

And yes the rest is my opinion that's what this thread is peoples opinions.

At present we havent signed anyone.

Reports to you show we are building a side for championship. On the other hand weve been linked with a league 2 striker to..

Simple fact is we dont know yet. What we do hope though is what ever is done is sensible and works.

The owners have said there will be substantial investment in the playing squad.

But yeah, until anything happens I can't really prove anything. We'll have to wait and see as Britboy Langers used to say (whatever happened to him?!)

You don't need a warchest if you already have a half decent team. We don't. So I expect us to be shelling out a fair bit, on wages at least.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:23 - May 11 with 1125 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:16 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

Interesting. You hound me out asking for specific evidence to Lamberts personailty.

Yet you dont even question it within this posters comme its.

Personal issue with me Flashing. Care to share?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:25 - May 11 with 1120 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:09 - May 11 by Bluefish

Just so we are clear have you just said the highest paid player in our history was on peanuts?

haha, oh dear, you're still banging this drum?

It doesn't matter how many people explain to you (including Phil, if you respect his opinion) how Collin Quaner wasn't the highest paid player in our history, if you SAY it enough times it becomes true!

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:29 - May 11 with 1108 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:25 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

haha, oh dear, you're still banging this drum?

It doesn't matter how many people explain to you (including Phil, if you respect his opinion) how Collin Quaner wasn't the highest paid player in our history, if you SAY it enough times it becomes true!

Would be interesting to know how much of bennetts apparent 18k wage we were paying tho lol.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:30 - May 11 with 1108 viewsHerbivore

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:07 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

He didn't have an awful lot to spend it seems.

The fee he spent on KVY would be a record fee paid for many sides at League 1 level. The wages we were able to offer Norwood gazumped some Championship sides. Many of the loanees we've signed would be out of the reach of most clubs at this level. Lambert really can't say that he didn't have backing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:30 - May 11 with 1108 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:23 - May 11 by chrismakin

Interesting. You hound me out asking for specific evidence to Lamberts personailty.

Yet you dont even question it within this posters comme its.

Personal issue with me Flashing. Care to share?

Eh? We're talking about different things. I'm agreeing with this poster that Lambert was dealt a bad hand, but he also played it badly. So it's a bit of both.

What I questioned you on is your assertion "he barely spoke to players during the week and when he did speak he was miserable, paranoid and upset everyone."

I just think you've exaggerated things a tad. Nothing personal!

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:32 - May 11 with 1104 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:30 - May 11 by Herbivore

The fee he spent on KVY would be a record fee paid for many sides at League 1 level. The wages we were able to offer Norwood gazumped some Championship sides. Many of the loanees we've signed would be out of the reach of most clubs at this level. Lambert really can't say that he didn't have backing.

Norwood salary would get you 2 maybe even 3 standard league 1 players.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 16:03 - May 11 with 1079 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He had 2.5 years to turn things around.

He was a miserable b4stard whole sucked any morale out of the entire club.

Leave it be, he was useless.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 16:11 - May 11 with 1068 viewsHerbivore

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 16:03 - May 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

He had 2.5 years to turn things around.

He was a miserable b4stard whole sucked any morale out of the entire club.

Leave it be, he was useless.

The fact that he hung around here for at least a year too long really killed us. He didn't really want to be here, the players didn't want him to be here. When you have a toxic environment like that then it doesn't matter whether individually the players have ability, they just aren't going to perform. The players have looked physically and mentally shot to be bits for most of this season.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 21:53 - May 11 with 1000 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:30 - May 11 by Herbivore

You've based all this on League 1. I'm basing it on his entire time here, and in reality he didn't spend a lot. I think I'm right in saying the KVY transfer is the only fee he's paid? Obviously a sizeable fee for League 1, but as his only fee in his time here it's not a huge amount given he took over a Championship club. In fact he's spent the least of all our recent managers.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 22:14 - May 11 with 991 viewsHerbivore

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 21:53 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've based all this on League 1. I'm basing it on his entire time here, and in reality he didn't spend a lot. I think I'm right in saying the KVY transfer is the only fee he's paid? Obviously a sizeable fee for League 1, but as his only fee in his time here it's not a huge amount given he took over a Championship club. In fact he's spent the least of all our recent managers.

His net spend is higher than both his predecessors. I'm focusing on League 1 because that's where he took us and where most of our games under him took place. His only transfer window in the Championship saw him well backed to bring in a number of expensive loanees as well.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 22:30 - May 11 with 983 viewsjaykay

the mark of good manager is you improve a player. can anyone name one player lambert improved ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:21 - May 12 with 925 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 22:14 - May 11 by Herbivore

His net spend is higher than both his predecessors. I'm focusing on League 1 because that's where he took us and where most of our games under him took place. His only transfer window in the Championship saw him well backed to bring in a number of expensive loanees as well.

His net spend is only higher because there was nothing left to sell!

"Well backed" is rather relative. Compared to fees and wages paid out in the Championship generally these days, I wouldn't say he was particularly "well backed." You'd hope to be able to afford better than the likes of Collin Quaner if you want to survive in the Champ.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:28 - May 12 with 920 viewsitfcjoe

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:29 - May 11 by chrismakin

Would be interesting to know how much of bennetts apparent 18k wage we were paying tho lol.

Barely 10% from what I understand

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:30 - May 12 with 911 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:28 - May 12 by itfcjoe

Barely 10% from what I understand

Overpaid by 9% then lol

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:30 - May 12 with 908 viewsjayessess

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:21 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

His net spend is only higher because there was nothing left to sell!

"Well backed" is rather relative. Compared to fees and wages paid out in the Championship generally these days, I wouldn't say he was particularly "well backed." You'd hope to be able to afford better than the likes of Collin Quaner if you want to survive in the Champ.

With hindsight Quaner was rubbish, but reserve team players from PL clubs are exactly what Champ-surviving clubs can generally afford, isn't it?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 11:58 - May 12 with 889 viewsSharkey

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 22:30 - May 11 by jaykay

the mark of good manager is you improve a player. can anyone name one player lambert improved ?

I think at the time KVY said he improved after he joined Ipswich, (and that was after he'd said a lot of nice things about Colchester's staff too), because of the role he was given. KVY was not outstanding at Colchester - in the top five players yes, but not outstanding.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024