Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club 16:29 - May 21 with 2869 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The post on Sonny Bradley is a perfect example.

"Sonny Bradley turns us down, opting to sign a new contract with Luton. Ouch."

Ouch what? We aren't a Premier League club and he's opted to stay in the Championship. We're league one and Luton are Championship, of course if they improved their offer he was going to stay there, we can't compete with SCMP restraining wages.

The best we can do is sell him a dream, but realistically? He's 29 by the time we get close to the Prem, he's likely to be somewhere between 32 and 34. And given what the Yanks and co are saying, you'd expect to be signing Premier League quality to replace him anyway.

Bradley saying 'No' isn't any surprise. It doesn't mean we aren't going to get good players in. If we are going for Championship players, we are going to miss out on a lot, (a very lot), of targets.

I'd suggest no one gets excited until you see players wearing shirts, holding scarves and talking about 'sleeping giants'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:32 - May 21 with 2816 viewsTieDyedIn95

Careful now, you haven't posted in the right thread!

Joking aside, I agree though, we can't really compete on wages with the Championship. Having said that I think some players will be watching what happens here with a degree of caution because we have been a basket case of a club for some time. Whether we like it or not, we've spent two seasons bang in the middle of League One and just sacked pretty much every player. If you are looking at it from the outside you might be thinking it wise to see how it pans out rather than take a risk on being out of work again in a year, or stuck in this league.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:41 - May 21 with 2765 viewsjayessess

Some might say that pre-emptively binning your entire first team squad on the basis that you can easily upgrade them, whilst in League One and under a salary cap, is a little bit "basket case" in the first place.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:45 - May 21 with 2731 viewsgtsb1966

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:41 - May 21 by jayessess

Some might say that pre-emptively binning your entire first team squad on the basis that you can easily upgrade them, whilst in League One and under a salary cap, is a little bit "basket case" in the first place.

If you can't upgrade that lot you might as well give up. If anyone can put a good argument forward to NOT bin the last lot i would love to hear it.
I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:54 - May 21 with 2665 viewsjayessess

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:45 - May 21 by gtsb1966

If you can't upgrade that lot you might as well give up. If anyone can put a good argument forward to NOT bin the last lot i would love to hear it.

I think it was perfectly possible to upgrade any individual player in the squad. Believing you can upgrade all 20 in 6 weeks, whilst also getting good value for the 20 in contract players you're offloading? Bit "basket case" for me.

It might all work out fabulously. But let's not pretend it isn't all a little "wing and a prayer".
[Post edited 21 May 2021 16:56]

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:56 - May 21 with 2635 viewslightuser

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:45 - May 21 by gtsb1966

PC also has experience with squad rebuilds.

Let's see how it pans out.

Hopefully exciting times ahead.

COYB
I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:02 - May 21 with 2590 viewschrismakin

Whist I cant say I know much about Bradley. Having looking him up when he was linked. I can't be the only one surprised by it.. it doesnt really fit any previous PC type of signing and as far as I can tell didnt play under him and no links with any backroom staff.

Could it be an agent in action here potentially? Using a club knowing they wouldnt be able to compete financially but just enough to get luton to up their offer.

No idea if this sort of thing happens in football.. but the link itself was a surprise.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:04 - May 21 with 2576 viewshomer_123

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 16:41 - May 21 by jayessess

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... by homer_123 10 May 2021 20:58
Let's not delude ourselves how difficult a task rebuilding this squad will be.

There seems to be an assumption that our financial situation coupled with so many players out of contract means we should find it easy to attract the right players.

It might not be the case. We could easily find ourselves fighting off many other clubs for the players we want and need. Just because there will be a dearth of players on the market doesn't mean they will be the ones we want.

I hope we don't rue the missed opportunity this year with the absolute non-attempt at getting in the play-offs when Cook arrived.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If that's true on 17:11 - May 21 with 2518 viewsSwansea_Blue

they must be very happy to have had what they wished for. We've been a basket case for some time.

It's going to take while to turn this sh*tshow around unfortunately. And there will no doubt be a few bumps in the road, like missing out on a guy who's spent 90% of his career in L1/L2 and is now supposedly a major loss.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:12 - May 21 with 2516 viewschicoazul

This is an excellent point and my main worry too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If that's true on 17:16 - May 21 with 2488 viewsjayessess

If that's true on 17:11 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

they must be very happy to have had what they wished for. We've been a basket case for some time.

It's going to take while to turn this sh*tshow around unfortunately. And there will no doubt be a few bumps in the road, like missing out on a guy who's spent 90% of his career in L1/L2 and is now supposedly a major loss.

If we're missing out on that sort of guy what does it say about our prospects of attracting similar or better targets?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:18 - May 21 with 2483 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:12 - May 21 by chicoazul

This is an excellent point and my main worry too.

You're right of course, but thats why the cull wasn't as severe as expected. They'll be allowed to leave, but only once new players come in.

But to suggest that Sonny Bradley saying no somehow implies 'ouch' we're a bit sh it if we can't attract players like him is total BS.

If that's true on 17:20 - May 21 with 2473 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If that's true on 17:16 - May 21 by jayessess

If we're missing out on that sort of guy what does it say about our prospects of attracting similar or better targets?

"If we're missing out on that sort of guy"?

Signing Bradley from a mid table Championship would be on the level of Ravanelli signing for Middlesbrough. Huge.

You understand that right?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:21 - May 21 with 2457 viewsjayessess

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:18 - May 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

You're right of course, but thats why the cull wasn't as severe as expected. They'll be allowed to leave, but only once new players come in.

But to suggest that Sonny Bradley saying no somehow implies 'ouch' we're a bit sh it if we can't attract players like him is total BS.

A fine Plan B if the manager hadn't sat them all down and told them they were done here.

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:22 - May 21 with 2447 viewschrismakin

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:21 - May 21 by jayessess

A fine Plan B if the manager hadn't sat them all down and told them they were done here.

Maybe he got a reply from some that he wanted
" I want to stay and get promotion with Ipswich"

Hes tried the old test the player method before.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If that's true on 17:25 - May 21 with 2428 viewsjayessess

If that's true on 17:20 - May 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

"If we're missing out on that sort of guy"?

Signing Bradley from a mid table Championship would be on the level of Ravanelli signing for Middlesbrough. Huge.

You understand that right?

I was deliberately mimicking the language in the post I was replying to.

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:34 - May 21 with 2351 viewsjaykay

i thought he wouldn't sign for us, because he couldn't get passed all the ne players who were in the building

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:50 - May 21 with 2252 viewsChurchman

Agreed. We had 45+ people paid to play football. No combination of players could manage more than about 45 minutes bar a couple of occasions last season. Blame the chairman, manager, club cat all you like but I’d have thought that the players would have made a passable attempt to stay fit during lockdown, but nope, not our lot.

Whether a new manager is Attila the Hun or mother Theresa I’m surprised the players didn’t put a shift in for their own future careers or at least professional pride, even if they hated the club. Nope, not our lot. Best squad in the league I heard. At what exactly? Best Twitter poster, maybe. Who can boot a free kick highest and hardest into the stand, maybe. But at League 1 football, 9th and 11th says exactly what they are.

They had to go. The stench of mediocrity was all pervading. It may take a couple of transfer windows, but surely we can do better than a squad that didn’t seem to fancy the winter months (6 home defeats in 8 games) or having their easy life disturbed.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 17:51]
I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:54 - May 21 with 2210 viewsjayessess

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:50 - May 21 by Churchman

Agreed. We had 45+ people paid to play football. No combination of players could manage more than about 45 minutes bar a couple of occasions last season. Blame the chairman, manager, club cat all you like but I’d have thought that the players would have made a passable attempt to stay fit during lockdown, but nope, not our lot.

Whether a new manager is Attila the Hun or mother Theresa I’m surprised the players didn’t put a shift in for their own future careers or at least professional pride, even if they hated the club. Nope, not our lot. Best squad in the league I heard. At what exactly? Best Twitter poster, maybe. Who can boot a free kick highest and hardest into the stand, maybe. But at League 1 football, 9th and 11th says exactly what they are.

They had to go. The stench of mediocrity was all pervading. It may take a couple of transfer windows, but surely we can do better than a squad that didn’t seem to fancy the winter months (6 home defeats in 8 games) or having their easy life disturbed.

"It may take a couple of transfer windows". Well, we've definitively given ourselves one window.

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 18:23 - May 21 with 2106 viewsHerbivore

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 17:50 - May 21 by Churchman

A 9th place finish, achieved with a car crash of a manager in charge for most of the season, suggests a slightly above average League 1 side. Within that, given how terrible some of the players were, there are likely to be some good League 1 players. This League 1 toss, you don't need to be Pele to be more than good enough to play in a promotion chasing side at this level. There are several in the squad who should be plenty good enough for what we want to achieve, especially with decent coaching and a proper preseason. It seems though that Cook only really wants to work with his own people.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 18:32 - May 21 with 2068 viewspennblue

What an incredibly sane post.

Well done Sir.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 18:58 - May 21 with 1964 viewsLeoMuff

It always felt hugely ambitious to land him, i can’t imagine many scenarios where we are going to appeal more than a championship club, fair play for trying to Cook and co.

Connelly looks far more realistic, and would be a good addition

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I think some of us really really want us to be a basket case of a club on 19:05 - May 21 with 1934 viewsMrTown

It will be difficult to attract that standard of player, but to be so close to getting that deal done, it shows where we are shopping, and the fact we can financially offer good terms.

It’s May, a long long way to go this summer.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024