Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The BBC license fee 16:10 - Jun 4 with 8475 viewsBelsteadCav

After David Mitchell defence of the bbc the other day, which tv or radio show do you think is worth the license fee?

Obviously the sport coverage ( World Cup, Olympics etc )
Spring watch
Radio 2, radio 5 live and 6 music

What else do you think is worth it?

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

The BBC license fee on 11:14 - Jun 5 with 1511 viewsEnigma_Blue

The BBC license fee on 10:13 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

And another thing

'Friends' was a half decent sitcom but 'Only Fools and Horses' made it look like a work of genius...

Friends(arguably the most overrated sitcom of all time) was a poor mans Coupling.

The BBC license fee on 11:20 - Jun 5 with 1490 viewsWeWereZombies

The BBC license fee on 11:14 - Jun 5 by Enigma_Blue

Friends(arguably the most overrated sitcom of all time) was a poor mans Coupling.

Although 'Friends' predated 'Coupling' by six years...

Going back to 'Only Fools' most of what I have posted on this thread is just me being contrarian (although that theme tune does grate on me for some reason) but, having the DVD of the excellent 'Goodnight Sweetheart', I think that Nicholas Lyndhurst's talents were criminally underused in 'Only Fools'.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

The BBC license fee on 11:22 - Jun 5 with 1483 viewsHerbivore

The BBC license fee on 10:13 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

And another thing

'Friends' was a half decent sitcom but 'Only Fools and Horses' made it look like a work of genius...

At this point you should be banned to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The BBC license fee on 11:26 - Jun 5 with 1478 viewsWeWereZombies

The BBC license fee on 11:22 - Jun 5 by Herbivore

At this point you should be banned to be honest.

Let's go for it. I am sure Phil will agree with me, that theme song would have worked if Kate Bush had done the vocals. Just think about it, her singing 'God bless Hooky Street'...

The BBC license fee on 11:31 - Jun 5 with 1472 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The BBC license fee on 11:26 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

Let's go for it. I am sure Phil will agree with me, that theme song would have worked if Kate Bush had done the vocals. Just think about it, her singing 'God bless Hooky Street'...

Or The Fall. Mark Smith's take on that theme tune.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

The BBC license fee on 11:37 - Jun 5 with 1458 viewsfooters

The BBC license fee on 11:31 - Jun 5 by You_Bloo_Right

Or The Fall. Mark Smith's take on that theme tune.

Well, they did manage to get The Theme from Sparta FC on as the intro to Football Focus for a while...

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The BBC license fee on 11:48 - Jun 5 with 1446 viewsEnigma_Blue

The BBC license fee on 11:20 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

Although 'Friends' predated 'Coupling' by six years...

Going back to 'Only Fools' most of what I have posted on this thread is just me being contrarian (although that theme tune does grate on me for some reason) but, having the DVD of the excellent 'Goodnight Sweetheart', I think that Nicholas Lyndhurst's talents were criminally underused in 'Only Fools'.

I know it did but for me coupling was the 'British Friends' and was far superior.

There are actually two theme tunes for Only Fools & Horses, 'why do only fools & horses work' during the opening credits and 'hooky street ' for the closing credits. I think they both suit the show perfectly with the use of cocky rhyming slang & jargon. Chas & Dave were supposed to sing one of the theme tunes but had to pull out due to other commitments. Maybe they would have sounded better with them singing rather than John Sullivan.

Nicholas Lyndhurst was a very underrated comedy actor, he portrayed Rodney brilliantly. That's the thing about OFAH it has so many good characters, as well as Del & Rodney you also had Boycie, Marlene, Trigger, Denzel, Syd, Micky Pearce, Uncle Albert & Grandad. How may sitcoms can boast that many?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2021 11:54]
The BBC license fee on 11:56 - Jun 5 with 1428 viewsRyorry

The BBC license fee on 10:11 - Jun 5 by DebsyAngel

For me it's EastEnders, Casualty, Pointless, The Hit List, Match Of The Day and MOTD2, a lot of the BBC4 music documentaries and old Top of the Pops.

For the radio, Ken Bruce (Popmaster section), Sounds of the 80s, and Pick of the Pops and away match commentary on Radio Suffolk.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2021 10:31]

Well, this thread is turning out to be quite some vehicle for friends falling out! Casualty 😱 - don't you get enough of hospitals irl?! and Pointless, Sounds of the 80s??!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The BBC license fee on 12:02 - Jun 5 with 1418 viewsRyorry

The BBC license fee on 00:32 - Jun 5 by Enigma_Blue

Defunding the BBC doesn't mean abolishing the BBC. It means let it fund itself, like ITV does through commercial revenue.

And how the frig you have left Only Fools & Horses, arguably the greatest British sitcom of all time off your list!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2021 0:34]

Ads are exactly what some people wish to pay £159 annually to get away from (since April this year, ie £13.25 monthly, not the £14 monthly quoted on p2).

The BBC license fee on 12:08 - Jun 5 with 1414 viewsRyorry

The BBC license fee on 10:25 - Jun 5 by You_Bloo_Right

Whilst I don't want to "pile in" it has to be said that there were quite a few BBC/C4 sitcoms that were funnier than Only Fools and Horses:

Ab Fab
Blackadder
Drop the Dead Donkey
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
Hancock's Half Hour
Porridge
Steptoe and Son
The League of Gentlemen
Till Death Do Us Part
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister

I'd forgotten Drop the Dead Donkey, genius at the time.

Hancock tho - for me had same effect as nails screeching down a blackboard - can't get to the offswitch fast enough!

The BBC license fee on 12:14 - Jun 5 with 1411 viewsleitrimblue

Should have got Dennis ( minder) Waterman to belt it out in his classic mockney twang
The BBC license fee on 12:18 - Jun 5 with 1398 viewsPhilTWTD

I'd like to hear the Jello Biafra or Ivor Cutler versions personally. I'm with you on Only Fools, never been a fan.
The BBC license fee on 12:21 - Jun 5 with 1386 viewsPhilTWTD

The BBC license fee on 11:37 - Jun 5 by footers

Well, they did manage to get The Theme from Sparta FC on as the intro to Football Focus for a while...

On a related Manchester indie-football crossover note, we used Oscillate Wildly by the Smiths as the bed for the previous match's manager post-game press conference comments on Life's a Pitch for a few years. Not sure who that was down to, wasn't me. In the poor run which led to Paul Jewell's exit I suggested Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now would be more appropriate and it replaced it the following week.
The BBC license fee on 12:21 - Jun 5 with 1383 viewsfooters

The BBC license fee on 12:18 - Jun 5 by PhilTWTD

I'd like to hear the Jello Biafra or Ivor Cutler versions personally. I'm with you on Only Fools, never been a fan.

I know it's your site and all that but...

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The BBC license fee on 12:25 - Jun 5 with 1372 viewsjeera

The BBC license fee on 12:14 - Jun 5 by leitrimblue

Should have got Dennis ( minder) Waterman to belt it out in his classic mockney twang

Which might have been more authentic.

When you hear Jason and Lyndhurst speak 'in real life' you cannot help but feel all a bit conned.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The BBC license fee on 12:29 - Jun 5 with 1357 viewsstonojnr

The BBC license fee on 05:21 - Jun 5 by dickie

I think the point is, if the BBC was funded the same way as ITV lots of this amazing content would never have been made.

but the BBC is still funded by the license fee, yet we are using a list of programmes the bulk from previous decades going back almost 40 years to justify how great it still is today in 2021 ? whats it doing in 2021 that we'll talk about 40 years from now ?

I mean Only Fools and Horses stopped being made nearly 20 years ago, how does that justify continuing a system of funding in this decade and especially if the Beeb arent making Only Fools and Horses style shows anymore.

the thing is it will all come to a head within the next decade anyway because a license fee model only works if you continually convince the upcoming generations, and we are firmly in the realm now of people who were brought up on streaming services being their thing instead, to keep paying it, to replace the older generations who automatically just paid it because it was the done thing, pass away.
The BBC license fee on 12:36 - Jun 5 with 1335 viewsjeera

The BBC license fee on 12:29 - Jun 5 by stonojnr

but the BBC is still funded by the license fee, yet we are using a list of programmes the bulk from previous decades going back almost 40 years to justify how great it still is today in 2021 ? whats it doing in 2021 that we'll talk about 40 years from now ?

I mean Only Fools and Horses stopped being made nearly 20 years ago, how does that justify continuing a system of funding in this decade and especially if the Beeb arent making Only Fools and Horses style shows anymore.

the thing is it will all come to a head within the next decade anyway because a license fee model only works if you continually convince the upcoming generations, and we are firmly in the realm now of people who were brought up on streaming services being their thing instead, to keep paying it, to replace the older generations who automatically just paid it because it was the done thing, pass away.

The majority of the examples listed so far are current or recent.

Only Fools has inevitably cropped up along other past favourites, but all the other stuff on offer didn't stop with them winning the lottery.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The BBC license fee on 12:41 - Jun 5 with 1325 viewsHerbivore

The BBC license fee on 12:21 - Jun 5 by footers

I know it's your site and all that but...

Yeah, I feel Gav needs to step in here and do the right thing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The BBC license fee on 12:45 - Jun 5 with 1292 viewsRyorry

The BBC license fee on 12:41 - Jun 5 by Herbivore

Yeah, I feel Gav needs to step in here and do the right thing.

Does anyone downvote PhilTWTD and survive though? The floodgates could open ...

Watching with interest ...

The BBC license fee on 12:48 - Jun 5 with 1288 viewsleitrimblue

The BBC license fee on 12:25 - Jun 5 by jeera

When you hear Jason and Lyndhurst speak 'in real life' you cannot help but feel all a bit conned.

Post fools and horses Jason is a enormous disappointment to me. Must have been a lot of humming the theme tune by market stall owners in the 80,s early 90,s?
The BBC license fee on 12:50 - Jun 5 with 1280 viewsWeWereZombies

The BBC license fee on 12:29 - Jun 5 by stonojnr

Programmes that the BBC have recently been made and will probably still be talked about in forty years time:

Line of Duty
Fleabag
I Will Destroy You
Killing Eve
Doctor Who
The Detectorists

Also, which will run longest - Corrie or Eastenders?

The BBC license fee on 13:09 - Jun 5 with 1257 viewsLord_Lucan

The BBC license fee on 12:50 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

Programmes that the BBC have recently been made and will probably still be talked about in forty years time:

Line of Duty
Fleabag
I Will Destroy You
Killing Eve
Doctor Who
The Detectorists

Also, which will run longest - Corrie or Eastenders?

Corrie is the Rolling Stones of soaps

One thing though, BBC didn't make those programs, the writers made them and BBC produced them.

David Battersberg would still have made his nature things with or without BBC, the only difference is that you would have adverts - although you wouldn't watch them because no one watches live TV anymore, you would just fast forward through them.

Years ago you bought a takeway to save you time and also because you couldn't be arsed to cook, these days you get it delivered to save you time and because you can't be arsed to queue up.

The world has changed but The BBC hasn't.

Are BBC fans just little Englanders?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2021 13:30]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The BBC license fee on 13:29 - Jun 5 with 1227 viewsXYZ

The BBC license fee on 12:25 - Jun 5 by jeera

actors, eh? Deceptive b*stards.
The BBC license fee on 13:38 - Jun 5 with 1213 viewsDebsyAngel

The BBC license fee on 11:56 - Jun 5 by Ryorry

Well, this thread is turning out to be quite some vehicle for friends falling out! Casualty 😱 - don't you get enough of hospitals irl?! and Pointless, Sounds of the 80s??!

Each to their own! Followed Casualty since the beginning, same with EastEnders. Sounds of the 80s is great, Gary Davies is terrific, and plays more than the same old 80s songs most channels play.
The BBC license fee on 13:55 - Jun 5 with 1187 viewsGaryCooper

The BBC license fee on 10:25 - Jun 5 by You_Bloo_Right

Whilst I don't want to "pile in" it has to be said that there were quite a few BBC/C4 sitcoms that were funnier than Only Fools and Horses:

Ab Fab
Blackadder
Drop the Dead Donkey
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
Hancock's Half Hour
Porridge
Steptoe and Son
The League of Gentlemen
Till Death Do Us Part
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister

The only comedy that beats OFH is Still Game, the first six series are mint.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024