Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Footballers signed after a great international tournament 15:33 - Jun 14 with 3478 viewsMB26

What I enjoy most about international tournaments is when players have an absolute blinder of a tournament which earns them a move to a big club only for it to turn out that they aren't very good. Let's run through some famous examples, I'll start

El-Hadji Diouf & Salif Diao to Liverpool in 2002.

Keep them coming..
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:35 - Jun 14 with 2707 viewsStirlingArcher

Wasn't Poborsky untouchable at one of the major tournaments, then a bit pants at Man U?
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:35 - Jun 14 with 2704 viewsDanTheMan

Might be wrong with this but wasn't Kleberson signed off the back of a good World Cup? Same year actually, although didn't go to Man Utd until a year later.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 15:35]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:39 - Jun 14 with 2666 viewsitfcjoe

Amir Karic - Euro 2000

On a more serious note his team mate Zlatko Zahovic got a big move off the back of that tournamnet and never did anything..............and Savo Milosevic went to Parma for £25m off the back of getting the Golden Boot there and did buggar all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:41 - Jun 14 with 2637 viewsPhilTWTD

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:35 - Jun 14 by StirlingArcher

Wasn't Poborsky untouchable at one of the major tournaments, then a bit pants at Man U?

Made his name at Euro 96 if I remember rightly, as did Patrik Berger, I think.
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:41 - Jun 14 with 2633 viewsmarchy

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:35 - Jun 14 by StirlingArcher

Euro '96. See also Jordi Cruyff!
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:42 - Jun 14 with 2628 viewsmarchy

Stephane Guivarc'h to Newcastle 1998.

Actually...he was just as crap at the World Cup as he turned out to be for Newcastle.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 15:43]
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:45 - Jun 14 with 2597 viewsKeno

Finidi George?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:48 - Jun 14 with 2577 viewsChurchman

Boncho Guenchev? Or was he an international after playing for us?
Login to get fewer ads

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:00 - Jun 14 with 2535 viewsPhilTWTD

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:48 - Jun 14 by Churchman

Boncho Guenchev? Or was he an international after playing for us?

We signed him on Bobby Robson's recommendation as he didn't want him at Sporting Lisbon. He was already an international by that point (although hadn't played as many games as the clubs told the Home Office, of course).
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:03 - Jun 14 with 2495 viewsEddyJ

James Rodriguez to Real Madrid
Hal Robson-Kanu to West Brom
Andrey Arshavin to Arsenal

Maybe:
Tomas Rosicky to Arsenal
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 16:05]
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:07 - Jun 14 with 2453 viewsMediocre_Quick

Memphis Depay to United after the last euros, or was he signed the year after?
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:12 - Jun 14 with 2435 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a signing, but Mario Götze seemed to have the world at his feet when he scored the winner in the 2014 World Cup final. I think he's only managed 3 or 4 international goals since and dropped out of the Germany team fairly soon after. So that was definitely his international high point (I think he's had a pretty good club career though).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:21 - Jun 14 with 2378 viewsBluedanW

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:12 - Jun 14 by Swansea_Blue

Not a signing, but Mario Götze seemed to have the world at his feet when he scored the winner in the 2014 World Cup final. I think he's only managed 3 or 4 international goals since and dropped out of the Germany team fairly soon after. So that was definitely his international high point (I think he's had a pretty good club career though).

On the same note Toto Scillachi was golden boot in 90 world cup. He had already signed for Juventus the year before, however he never did hit his potential afterwards
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:26 - Jun 14 with 2342 viewsParsley

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:12 - Jun 14 by Swansea_Blue

Are there any players where scoring the winner in the world cup final isn't a high point? :P
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:29 - Jun 14 with 2319 viewsWeWereZombies

Sergei Baltacha was in the Russian team that finished as runners up in the 1988 Euros, he was with Dynamo Kyiv then but signed for us later that year. A better signing than Amir Karic but that's not saying much.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:30 - Jun 14 with 2321 viewsJDB23

Not quite what you were asking for but I remember after Euro 2008 I emailed the club with the suggestion of looking at one of the Polish players who I thought looked very handy, his name was Roger Guerreiro. Having just googled him, can’t say he really had a stellar career after that!
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:49 - Jun 14 with 2215 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:56 - Jun 14 with 2178 viewsStokieBlue

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:03 - Jun 14 by EddyJ

James Rodriguez to Real Madrid
Hal Robson-Kanu to West Brom
Andrey Arshavin to Arsenal

Maybe:
Tomas Rosicky to Arsenal
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 16:05]

Arshavin was pretty good for Arsenal for a couple of years.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:01 - Jun 14 with 2160 viewsDanTheMan

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:56 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

Arshavin was pretty good for Arsenal for a couple of years.

SB

Rosicky wasn't bad either, spent a long time at Arsenal.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:19 - Jun 14 with 2105 viewsSwansea_Blue

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:26 - Jun 14 by Parsley

Are there any players where scoring the winner in the world cup final isn't a high point? :P

Ha, fair point! Let's just say he never did properly deliver on that early promise (at international level).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:24 - Jun 14 with 2081 viewseireblue

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 15:45 - Jun 14 by Keno

Finidi George?

Burst onto the scene when Nigeria first entered the Africa Cup in 1963.
Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:29 - Jun 14 with 2059 viewsWeWereZombies

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:24 - Jun 14 by eireblue

Burst onto the scene when Nigeria first entered the Africa Cup in 1963.

Presumably that was a veterans tournament...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:29 - Jun 14 with 2057 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 16:49 - Jun 14 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Dumistrescu to Spurs after 1994.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:30 - Jun 14 with 2057 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That lob v Portugal in 1996!!
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 17:31]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:34 - Jun 14 with 2032 viewsEddyJ

Footballers signed after a great international tournament on 17:01 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

Rosicky wasn't bad either, spent a long time at Arsenal.

I debated whether to include both.

Neither really lived up to their initial promise, which was hyped by performances at World Cup 2006 and Euro 2008.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024