Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). 12:56 - Jul 6 with 2086 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Since moving into the countryside, the prevalence of the above have become a pain in the arse, so last weekend i purchased one of those tennis racket type thingies that have an electric current running through them to try and keep the numbers down.....and i must say what great fun i have had hitting the little bvggers Andy Murray esque. The noise and spark created as they get fried is a costant source of joy, but i'm concerned all this swatting is going to give me tennis elbow.
Apart from being more hygienic, both personally* and domestically, what's the most effective way of getting rid of the little blighters.

* I shower once a week.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:00 - Jul 6 with 1646 viewsEwan_Oozami

Get a labrador, it will hunt down flies relentlessly, but will quadruple your window cleaning bill as it head butts every bit of glass trying to nut the fly into submission and also trash your house in the process - difficult trade-off I know, but at least you can sit back and watch the entertainment!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:02 - Jul 6 with 1633 viewsfooters

You're a green fingered sort so why not fill your gaff with venus flytraps? If you get a big one and it starts saying 'feed me, feed me' I think you're on the right track...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:05 - Jul 6 with 1622 viewsSwansea_Blue

Will someone think of the fly!

"The fate of the fly is unknown"

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/french-man-accidentally-blew-up-house-while-ch

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:09 - Jul 6 with 1608 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:00 - Jul 6 by Ewan_Oozami

Get a labrador, it will hunt down flies relentlessly, but will quadruple your window cleaning bill as it head butts every bit of glass trying to nut the fly into submission and also trash your house in the process - difficult trade-off I know, but at least you can sit back and watch the entertainment!

My golden retriever snaps at them but she’s getting on a bit now, so not a feasible plan, plus her dental fees will be extravagant, as she keeps missing.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:12 - Jul 6 with 1592 viewsRyorry

I use this, extremely effective, and eco (plant based). The bigger flies such as bluebottles need 3-4 squirts, but that usually downs them & you can then squash them quickly.

https://www.pestfix.co.uk/oa2ki-pesticide-free-organic-insect-trigger-spray.asp

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:13 - Jul 6 with 1593 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:02 - Jul 6 by footers

You're a green fingered sort so why not fill your gaff with venus flytraps? If you get a big one and it starts saying 'feed me, feed me' I think you're on the right track...

A good plan in theory old fruit, but the wife’s (step) grandchildren would be traumatised. Although on second thoughts, would keep the little sods away.

Great idea

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:29 - Jul 6 with 1554 viewsjeera

Prevention is better than cure.

Chain at the front door and something over the open windows.

Not perfect admittedly as some of the blighters still find a way but it reduces the numbers significantly.

Sometimes you'll get one resting on the chain and you inadvertently bring the thing indoors with you. Watch out for those kind of tricks they use.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:40 - Jul 6 with 1530 viewsNthQldITFC

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:29 - Jul 6 by jeera

Prevention is better than cure.

Chain at the front door and something over the open windows.

Not perfect admittedly as some of the blighters still find a way but it reduces the numbers significantly.

Sometimes you'll get one resting on the chain and you inadvertently bring the thing indoors with you. Watch out for those kind of tricks they use.

'Chain at the front door'?

Must be feckn big flies round your way!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:43 - Jul 6 with 1518 viewsjeera

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:40 - Jul 6 by NthQldITFC

'Chain at the front door'?

Must be feckn big flies round your way!

That's the one!

At least you get to check what the buzzing is before committing.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 with 1496 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Whilst watching JC on Clarksons Farm he remarked that the amount of bugs and the like that used to pepper the front of you car if you were driving in the sticks has nosedived and you just don't get that any more.

Same for around the home in my opinion. Perhaps just the odd lost bee but you just don't get the half dozen blue bottles making themselves dizzy around the 'big light' like you used to
Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 with 1496 viewsBiGDonnie

Honestly, I just open a window and the little fookers find the way out eventually.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:54 - Jul 6 with 1482 viewsPinewoodblue

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 by BiGDonnie

Honestly, I just open a window and the little fookers find the way out eventually.

They may get out but will come back with their mates.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:56 - Jul 6 with 1471 viewsDeano69

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 by BiGDonnie

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:58 - Jul 6 with 1460 viewsjeera

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:54 - Jul 6 by Pinewoodblue

They may get out but will come back with their mates.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:00 - Jul 6 with 1452 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 by BlueBlueBluex2

Whilst watching JC on Clarksons Farm he remarked that the amount of bugs and the like that used to pepper the front of you car if you were driving in the sticks has nosedived and you just don't get that any more.

Same for around the home in my opinion. Perhaps just the odd lost bee but you just don't get the half dozen blue bottles making themselves dizzy around the 'big light' like you used to

Do you live in an igloo?

I would imagine the nations house fly population has moved en masse to Mid Suffolk then.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:01 - Jul 6 with 1450 viewsleitrimblue

Hi there, can I get more information on these intriguing tennis racket type thingies with the electric current running through um? Where can they be purchased? Does anyone have an image of um available? How much? Can you buy really big ones?
Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:01 - Jul 6 with 1447 viewsNthQldITFC

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:50 - Jul 6 by BlueBlueBluex2

I agree with Clarkson on that - never thought I'd use those words together! Hardly get a fly in the house these days, and I think like most non-human animals they need a bit of extra protection, so I just see them out with a sharp word.

Haven't seen any of those military types that fly around the lampshade in straight lines for ages. I think they must a pretty uptight sort of fly if you ask me.

In terms of the nasty bitey things, I haven't seen a horse fly for years. But then again I tend to lay off the stuff these days.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:06 - Jul 6 with 1433 viewsjeera

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:00 - Jul 6 by StochesStotasBlewe

Do you live in an igloo?

I would imagine the nations house fly population has moved en masse to Mid Suffolk then.

You have moved to a farming community.

Lots of stinky stuff = lots of flies.

I'm getting a few of these weird looking flies outside sitting about on the plants, not the usual housefly type but more the sort that look like they could hurt if they chose.

On the plus side, happy to report I'm seeing a fair few bees at the moment.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:16 - Jul 6 with 1418 viewsRyorry

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:01 - Jul 6 by leitrimblue

Hi there, can I get more information on these intriguing tennis racket type thingies with the electric current running through um? Where can they be purchased? Does anyone have an image of um available? How much? Can you buy really big ones?

I think at least some of them have now been deemed unsafe & banned - I certainly used to frequently inadvertantly electrocute myself when using one - not pleasant, gave me quite a shock I can tell you

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:29 - Jul 6 with 1400 viewsElephantintheRoom

Move to the south of france where the hordes of flies are eaten by rather cute lizards and geckos.

But watch out for the hornets

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:55 - Jul 6 with 1372 viewsMookamoo

I've bought one of those zappy boxes you see in kebab shops for the office. Cheap from a catering wholesalers.
Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:57 - Jul 6 with 1365 viewsjeera

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:55 - Jul 6 by Mookamoo

I've bought one of those zappy boxes you see in kebab shops for the office. Cheap from a catering wholesalers.

How do you get any work done though?

Half the day gone by poking things in there to see what happens and finding bugs to throw in for entertainment.

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 14:57 - Jul 6 with 1363 viewsDeano69

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 13:58 - Jul 6 by jeera

lol - was looking for that!

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 15:00 - Jul 6 with 1353 viewsDeano69

Swatting House Flies (and other beasties). on 15:09 - Jul 6 with 1338 viewswkj

If you just moved to the country side, please mentally prepare yourself for when they start transporting livestock and carcasses.

At this time an AK47 and ICBMs are about your only hope.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024