Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal Footie Nostalgia 11:03 - Jul 7 with 1909 viewsKeno

what are the first games you can really remember watching?

Me
Chelsea vs Leeds FA Cup Final replay 1970

1970 World Cup and wondering how on earth Brazil could play such a different form of football. The illusion shattered slightly when said to my dad "why dont we play like them' he simply replied 'all that faffing about gets so tedious why cant they just get it forward'

I also remember Colchester Leeds FA Cup game 1971 and a certain Ray Crawford

[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 11:23]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:32 - Jul 7 with 570 viewsN2_Blue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:45 - Jul 7 by midastouch

Saw Paul Gascoigne play against Oxford in the FA Cup in 1991, what a player! Will never forget it!
Oxford had a magic player that season too, Jim Magilton!

Ipswich Town 4 Charlton Athletic 4, 29 December 1990

My 2nd visit to Portman Road in the rain. Led 2-0 and 4-2, Stockwell scoring 2 and robbed of the win by a dodgy late penalty

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:38 - Jul 7 with 564 viewsVic

Liverpool v Chelsea cup final, 1971. THAT Charlie George goal!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:44 - Jul 7 with 559 viewsSomethingBlue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:32 - Jul 7 by N2_Blue

Ipswich Town 4 Charlton Athletic 4, 29 December 1990

My 2nd visit to Portman Road in the rain. Led 2-0 and 4-2, Stockwell scoring 2 and robbed of the win by a dodgy late penalty

Ha, that was my second game at PR too. What a cracker.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:54 - Jul 7 with 543 viewsBlue_Order

The ‘94 World Cup final is the first game I remember watching. I was 7 and on holiday at my Grans house in Yorkshire.

The next year I was up there I had her chucking a ball to me all week in the back garden so I could practice my Higuita scorpion kick.
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:59 - Jul 7 with 529 viewsKeno

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:38 - Jul 7 by Vic

you mean this one?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:00 - Jul 7 with 527 viewsblueislander

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:50 - Jul 7 by Crinkle59

I hate to remind myself but 1939 against Reading with my dad , think score 3-1 but won't guarantee! best remembered mid 50's at Reading Ted got only away Hat trick. A free kick that left the keeper standing!

Blimey 1939! Makes me feel young. I first went to Portman Road in 1953. I believe it was against Gillingham.
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:03 - Jul 7 with 518 viewsFBI

Only got vague memories of my first ever game, WBA vs Blackburn in the old Div 2 in 1975. I went with my dad and my grandad - we being good Black Country boys.

Fast forward to November 1976 and we're now living in Suffolk and I'm 9: Dad takes me to PR to see the Albion against Ipswich. Mariner's home debut and Trevor Whymark bags four. Lo and behold, I'm an Ipswich supporter for life.

...which made the 1978 FA Cup semi-final an interesting day at home :-)

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:07 - Jul 7 with 506 viewsBrightonBlue

Mexico '86

Brazil 3 - Northern Ireland 0

Remember the likes of Jennings, Whiteside and the amazing Sócrates
Login to get fewer ads

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:35 - Jul 7 with 483 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

This goal is the first one I ever remember watching;

[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 14:36]
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:35 - Jul 7 with 482 viewsjaykay

mine was the 1960 european cup final played in front of over 125 thousand at hampden park. it still the highest scoring final 7:3 . i still remember the great names to this day, di stefano, puskas, del sol, gento, santamaria .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 14:55 - Jul 7 with 462 viewswkj

The first live game was in the Churchmans where we beat Brum 1-0. I instantly fell in love with the goal scorer, Bobby Petta. At the end of that season, he was off to Celtic on a Bosman.

1998/1999

Richard Wright
Adam Tanner
Manuel Thetis
Jamie Clapham
Tony Mowbray
Mark Venus
Kieron Dyer
Matt Holland
Samassi Abou
James Scowcroft
Bobby Petta

Looking back, it was so great as the promotion winning team was really starting to take shape. I can always remember thinking that if Petta gave it one more season with us, we'd have gone up. He never did quite do the business after he left us, following a string of injuries with Celtic.

Now I don't know if I am remembering this right, but I seem to recall he didn't end up being a popular character towards the end - maybe playing silly beggers with contracts?

Apparently, he now works as a house music DJ, after declaring bankruptcy - as well as ending up in police custody for allegedly nicking some electronic gear.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-celtic-star-petta-hits-20902
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 14:56]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 15:29 - Jul 7 with 442 viewsjaykay

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:38 - Jul 7 by Vic

i think you must have been very young if you thought arsenal were chelsea. mind you they both london clubs so easy mistake to make

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 16:02 - Jul 7 with 418 viewsChurchman

My first game was in March 68 against Cardiff (4-2), but I don’t remember too much about the game tbh. The seats had cushions on and my grandad took me and we sat in the upper section (middle section now), towards the centre of the West Stand (Pioneer, Co-op).

The first TV game I properly recall was the 1968 Final when WBA won 1-0, though I must have seen Match of the Week before that.
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 16:57 - Jul 7 with 392 viewsbluelagos

First international was Scotland at 78 world cup. Remember lots of screamers by Dutch players, Kempes and the tickertape final.

Couple of months earlier I remember a game at Wembley and being worried Malcolm Macdonald would make good his promise to win the cup for the gunners.

Life lesson there, don't worry about cr"p you can't change, whatever will be will be.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 16:59 - Jul 7 with 387 viewsN2_Blue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:44 - Jul 7 by SomethingBlue

Ha, that was my second game at PR too. What a cracker.

haha, no way!? Was totally hooked after this game!

How old were you? I was 10, as didn't live in UK for much of my early years

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 17:04 - Jul 7 with 383 viewsWarkystache

Hatfield Peverel v Notley March 1977 - I was two! Don't remember the whole game but do remember my dad taking me in the pushchair and we stopped at the pub after.

First pro game was Spurs v Villa in 1979 on the Big Match.

First Town game was Liverpool v Ipswich 1980 on the telly. First live Town game was Ipswich v Sunderland 1984.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 17:27 - Jul 7 with 372 viewsgainsboroughblue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 17:04 - Jul 7 by Warkystache

Hatfield Peverel v Notley March 1977 - I was two! Don't remember the whole game but do remember my dad taking me in the pushchair and we stopped at the pub after.

First pro game was Spurs v Villa in 1979 on the Big Match.

First Town game was Liverpool v Ipswich 1980 on the telly. First live Town game was Ipswich v Sunderland 1984.

That Sunderland game was a tense one. I think that was the penultimate home game that season and that 1-0 win pretty much secured survival from an impossible position several weeks earlier.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 18:30 - Jul 7 with 341 viewsRadlett_blue

England v Portugal in the 1966 semi final on TV. I didn't watch the final - made a model aeroplane in the kitchen instead.
Next would have been the Spurs - Chelsea FA Cup Final.
First live game was Chelmsford v Colchester in the FA Cup in January 1968. An amazing crowd of 16,400.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024