Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Throughly enjoyed that 23:10 - Jul 11 with 1546 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thought we could have been more positive in the second half and their goal was coming for 15 minutes.

But in Gareth we trust. He got us to the final with his tactics. And we go again in the World Cup next year.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:12 - Jul 11 with 1514 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Well said.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:14 - Jul 11 with 1496 viewsScuzzer

Agreed.
At least we know we have a squad of players good enough to get to a major final.

Established 1968

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:17 - Jul 11 with 1465 viewsGlasgowBlue

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:14 - Jul 11 by Scuzzer

Agreed.
At least we know we have a squad of players good enough to get to a major final.

Indeed. We have to remember that we may have lost a penalty shoot out but we didn’t loose a game of football. These boys will be a season more mature next year.

Good times ahead.

Iron Lion Zion

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:18 - Jul 11 with 1464 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not seen you around lately buh. Hope you’re doing well, and hope your daughter is in a much better place than a few weeks ago.

Frustrating tonight as we’d got so close, but hey ho and all that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:21 - Jul 11 with 1431 viewsPinewoodblue

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:17 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. We have to remember that we may have lost a penalty shoot out but we didn’t loose a game of football. These boys will be a season more mature next year.

Good times ahead.

They won’t all get the chance.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:23 - Jul 11 with 1413 viewspointofblue

The team that deserved to win win. They asked on ITV if it was a game too far and the second half felt like that.

So many big teams were not firing on all cylinders this year - they'll be back in 18 months. We can compete but we need to control the game better when leading; that's a serious weakness at the moment.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:23]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:23 - Jul 11 with 1405 viewsGlasgowBlue

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:18 - Jul 11 by Swansea_Blue

Not seen you around lately buh. Hope you’re doing well, and hope your daughter is in a much better place than a few weeks ago.

Frustrating tonight as we’d got so close, but hey ho and all that.

Always a glass half full bloke with all things thanks. Thought I’d pop on tonight.

Iron Lion Zion

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:27 - Jul 11 with 1357 viewsCaptainAhab

Gutted but honestly in a weird way not gutted. We've done ourselves proud, those boys were brilliant. I'm also just happy to have made a final, not something I ever thought I'd see in my lifetime and we took it all the way. Well done England.
Login to get fewer ads

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:51 - Jul 11 with 1299 viewsBluedandy

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:17 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Good times ahead.

Gareth Southgate lost the final.. far too defensive for far too long.. An abundance of talent that simply was not utilised at the right moments.. Swap the managers and England win.
Throughly enjoyed that on 23:53 - Jul 11 with 1286 viewsIpswichKnight

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:51 - Jul 11 by Bluedandy

Gareth Southgate lost the final.. far too defensive for far too long.. An abundance of talent that simply was not utilised at the right moments.. Swap the managers and England win.

Who for? We’ve just made the final of a major competition for the first time in 50 odd years and you want to sack the manager… utterly bonkers!
Throughly enjoyed that on 23:55 - Jul 11 with 1274 viewsNthQldITFC

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:14 - Jul 11 by Scuzzer

Agreed.

Yes. It's a step change in the way the team plays, confident enough to keep the ball all over the pitch. We've finally caught up with the top teams in terms of the way we play. And what's more he's done it with a really young side. Great achievement the last few years, and almost certainly more improvement to come. Well done everybody in the England set up.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:57 - Jul 11 with 1264 viewsXYZ

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:51 - Jul 11 by Bluedandy

Righto. Semi and a final in the last two tournos. England's most successful manager since Sir Alf.

Genius. Bring back big Sam, eh?
Throughly enjoyed that on 00:25 - Jul 12 with 1218 viewsBluedandy

Throughly enjoyed that on 23:53 - Jul 11 by IpswichKnight

Who for? We’ve just made the final of a major competition for the first time in 50 odd years and you want to sack the manager… utterly bonkers!

Didn't say he should be sacked but Southgate was tactically out manoeuvred by Mancini just like he was in the 2nd half against Croatia in 2018.

England will never win a tournament with excessively cautious Southgate because his decision making is not good enough in those critical game management moments...
Throughly enjoyed that on 00:41 - Jul 12 with 1187 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It was won by the best team in the tournament. Well done to the Italians.

England, probably not the second best team, gave us a good run for our money. They can take pride in their conduct throughout and we supporters have plenty of reason to be proud of our team both on and off the pitch.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Throughly enjoyed that on 00:43 - Jul 12 with 1181 viewsVillageGreen

You enjoyed mediocrity? Arf
Throughly enjoyed that on 00:56 - Jul 12 with 1160 viewspointofblue

Throughly enjoyed that on 00:43 - Jul 12 by VillageGreen

You enjoyed mediocrity? Arf

We’re Ipswich Town fans - of course we did.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 0:56]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Throughly enjoyed that on 01:06 - Jul 12 with 1141 viewskiwiblue

Yes agreed held it just to 90 mins then suddenly on top again. Strange choice with Southgates history for three youngsters taking the penalties under all that pressure but in reality the better team came out winners over the whole game.
Now for town to build a strong first team squad with some dynamic youngsters to get a chance when needed.
Throughly enjoyed that on 01:52 - Jul 12 with 1108 viewsEnigma_Blue

Throughly enjoyed that on 00:25 - Jul 12 by Bluedandy

Didn't say he should be sacked but Southgate was tactically out manoeuvred by Mancini just like he was in the 2nd half against Croatia in 2018.

England will never win a tournament with excessively cautious Southgate because his decision making is not good enough in those critical game management moments...

So who should England get as manager instead? Over the years we have had the likes of Revie, Greenwood Robson, Venebles, we even went down the foreign route with the likes of Eriksson and Capello, with their supposedly superior tactical nous compared to English managers and none of them came as close as Southgate has to winning a major tournament.
Throughly enjoyed that on 02:14 - Jul 12 with 1100 viewsquirkie

Throughly enjoyed that on 01:52 - Jul 12 by Enigma_Blue

So who should England get as manager instead? Over the years we have had the likes of Revie, Greenwood Robson, Venebles, we even went down the foreign route with the likes of Eriksson and Capello, with their supposedly superior tactical nous compared to English managers and none of them came as close as Southgate has to winning a major tournament.

Gerrard.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Throughly enjoyed that on 02:17 - Jul 12 with 1090 viewsEnigma_Blue

Throughly enjoyed that on 02:14 - Jul 12 by quirkie

Gerrard.

Who only has two seasons as manager under his belt, and was gifted the S PL as Celtic were poor and it's only a two horse race over there anyway. He needs to prove himself in the Premiership first.
Throughly enjoyed that on 03:24 - Jul 12 with 1062 viewsquirkie

Throughly enjoyed that on 02:17 - Jul 12 by Enigma_Blue

Who only has two seasons as manager under his belt, and was gifted the S PL as Celtic were poor and it's only a two horse race over there anyway. He needs to prove himself in the Premiership first.

I agree, he needs to prove himself like Southgate at Middlesbro.

Southgate record

Team From To Record Ref.
P W D L Win %
Middlesbrough 7 June 2006 21 October 2009 151 45 43 63 29.8

Yes that is a 29.8% record he got there.

FFS

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Throughly enjoyed that on 06:20 - Jul 12 with 980 viewsOsborneOneNil

Throughly enjoyed that on 00:25 - Jul 12 by Bluedandy

Hats off to England, and Southgate, but I do agree to a point. He was overly cautious and brought a more positive game to Italy far too late.

Jack should have been on at 65 mins, for example.
Throughly enjoyed that on 06:25 - Jul 12 with 975 viewsBlueySwede

As an "outsider" I am quite amazed regarding the criticism aimed at Southgate. He takes England to the first major final since 1966, and still he hasn´t done anything right according to some.
I have never seen England this good, well maybe with the exception of the Robson years. Before the game I had a feeling Italy would come out on top in a tight game, still it went all the way to penalties and England could well have won it.
Throughly enjoyed that on 08:55 - Jul 12 with 859 viewsOsborneOneNil

Throughly enjoyed that on 06:25 - Jul 12 by BlueySwede

As an "outsider" I am quite amazed regarding the criticism aimed at Southgate. He takes England to the first major final since 1966, and still he hasn´t done anything right according to some.
I have never seen England this good, well maybe with the exception of the Robson years. Before the game I had a feeling Italy would come out on top in a tight game, still it went all the way to penalties and England could well have won it.

I think everyone respects what Southgate has done, but most feel he was over cautious last night, and then failed to change things early enough.

That’s all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024