Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best article I've read on Sunday 08:47 - Jul 13 with 4721 viewsTractorWood

Just thinking back to how dangerous it was at the steps to Wembley. It's so fortunate there was not a profoundly horrific occurance given the bottle neck.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-fans-wembley-euro-2020-fina

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:10 - Jul 13 with 3406 viewsSteve_M

I've just got round to reading this, it is as good as it is depressing to read it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:16 - Jul 13 with 3361 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Yep that’s spot on. Exactly how I felt leaving the ground on Sunday, secondary to the result really.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:23 - Jul 13 with 3334 viewsRadlett_blue

It seems that the degree of security outside the stadium was woefully inadequate, either through poor planning or unwillingness to pay for enough resources e.g. police. I guess COVID protocols helped create the huge logjam on Wembley Way & the organisers underestimated the number of ticketless fans who would arrive. Sadly reminiscent of Hillsborough, but fortunately no-one died or was seriously injured. Not helpful that a major final involving England was in London on a Sunday with an 8pm kick off, but that's more down to English yob mentality.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:32 - Jul 13 with 3314 viewsJakeITFC

It really was a mess wasn't it.

The semi-final was such a wonderful atmosphere before, during and after the game whereas Sunday just felt really edgy from the get go. We arrived at Wembley Way at about 5pm and it was just absolute carnage and full of people who had no tickets for the game. When I looked to go into the ground I had three separate people ask me to jib their way in with me, and then another who tried it at the gate who I told to piss off.

England's poor performance on the night didn't help the atmosphere inside the place but it just felt the whole time that it was waiting to boil over. I'm an England away fans member and so was behind the goal and I echo the sentiment of the article - it felt as though the loyal fans in there had been let down the most by all of this; years of accumulating caps at home and away qualifiers only to see their loyalty and support go to waste as some pricks barge through a disabled entrance to steal their seats (the first entrance to the ground at Wembley Way was directly to the England end, so that's where a lot of the blaggers would have got in).

In the end, I was delighted to get out of Wembley ASAP after the penalties. I was also in Moscow for the semi-final defeat to Croatia and it was night and day to Sunday here. Whilst that felt like it had a real sense of a big match done well, Wembley just felt like everything that could have gone wrong did.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:39 - Jul 13 with 3263 viewsbluelagos

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:32 - Jul 13 by JakeITFC

The semi-final was such a wonderful atmosphere before, during and after the game whereas Sunday just felt really edgy from the get go. We arrived at Wembley Way at about 5pm and it was just absolute carnage and full of people who had no tickets for the game. When I looked to go into the ground I had three separate people ask me to jib their way in with me, and then another who tried it at the gate who I told to piss off.

England's poor performance on the night didn't help the atmosphere inside the place but it just felt the whole time that it was waiting to boil over. I'm an England away fans member and so was behind the goal and I echo the sentiment of the article - it felt as though the loyal fans in there had been let down the most by all of this; years of accumulating caps at home and away qualifiers only to see their loyalty and support go to waste as some pricks barge through a disabled entrance to steal their seats (the first entrance to the ground at Wembley Way was directly to the England end, so that's where a lot of the blaggers would have got in).

In the end, I was delighted to get out of Wembley ASAP after the penalties. I was also in Moscow for the semi-final defeat to Croatia and it was night and day to Sunday here. Whilst that felt like it had a real sense of a big match done well, Wembley just felt like everything that could have gone wrong did.

There are an awful lot of very serious questions around the organisation and/or lack of it.

But does anyone have any confidence in the Met police / FA / local council / Wembley to do anything other than to try and pass the buck?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:40 - Jul 13 with 3255 viewsfooters

How, in a country where football is our national sport, and crowd troubles are well-known, weren't the authorities ready for this? I saw texters and others mention how difficult it would be to put up proper fencing along Wembley Way, so why the hell was it designed like that? Seems woefully inadequate given what we all know about how out of control footy crowds can get.

And those pushing in without tickets - I mean, how stupid can you get? We've only just had the Hillsborough case in the news recently but people don't seem to have taken any of those lessons on board. For parents having to lift children above their heads so they don't get squashed in the rush, it's so, so dangerous.

I know it was the final on home soil and all that but some things in life really are more important than football.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:48 - Jul 13 with 3232 viewsJakeITFC

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:40 - Jul 13 by footers

How, in a country where football is our national sport, and crowd troubles are well-known, weren't the authorities ready for this? I saw texters and others mention how difficult it would be to put up proper fencing along Wembley Way, so why the hell was it designed like that? Seems woefully inadequate given what we all know about how out of control footy crowds can get.

And those pushing in without tickets - I mean, how stupid can you get? We've only just had the Hillsborough case in the news recently but people don't seem to have taken any of those lessons on board. For parents having to lift children above their heads so they don't get squashed in the rush, it's so, so dangerous.

I know it was the final on home soil and all that but some things in life really are more important than football.

The problem is made worse by the building of Boxpark and other bars that are there to attract non-match-goers to the area before the games, so the perimeter has to be that close to the stadium to allow access to there.

I thought maybe only letting ticket holders get to Wembley Park station might be an answer, but I'm not sure there's anywhere suitable beforehand on the Jubilee or Met lines to make that work either.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:50 - Jul 13 with 3219 viewsbluelagos

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:40 - Jul 13 by footers

"And those pushing in without tickets - I mean, how stupid can you get? We've only just had the Hillsborough case in the news "

Presume you are clear that there was no issue with ticketless fans at Hillsborough and are instead referring to the dangers of overcrowding.

BL

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:53 - Jul 13 with 3192 viewsfooters

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:50 - Jul 13 by bluelagos

"And those pushing in without tickets - I mean, how stupid can you get? We've only just had the Hillsborough case in the news "

Presume you are clear that there was no issue with ticketless fans at Hillsborough and are instead referring to the dangers of overcrowding.

BL

Yes, yes - sorry for any confusion.

It's bad enough at some Tube stations at times so god alone knows what Sunday must have been like with that many people all pushing towards the turnstiles. With children and families in the crowd it doesn't bear thinking about.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 13:36 - Jul 13 with 3010 viewsSteve_M

The Athletic's article on the subject is also very good for those with a subscription:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Best article I've read on Sunday on 13:58 - Jul 13 with 2947 viewsTractorWood

Similar to me. I wasn't in Moscow but it was not entirely dissimilar to Marseille in 2016. Total anarchy.

I've been going for 7 years or so home and away. Did all of Euro 2016 and maybe 25 matches in total.

I do feel let down as someone who does spend time, money and wider sacrifice in following England to accumulate the caps to watch us in big games.

Uefa charge absolutely top dollar for even bottom category tickets and they can't even coordinate a decent event. Add to that police who have so far denied it happened at all and then said they had it under control which is frankly laughable. Politicians who are continuing to fan the flames of the culture war.

I just don't want to follow them anymore tbh. Was so relieved to get back to Suffolk. We didn't deserve to win on and definitely off the pitch.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:04]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 14:12 - Jul 13 with 2906 viewsTrumptonBlue

Clearly you were there and I wasn't, and I don't doubt your personal experience, but there are plenty of stories of unpleasantness around the semi-final. For example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57779541
Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:18 - Jul 13 with 2794 viewsJakeITFC

Best article I've read on Sunday on 14:12 - Jul 13 by TrumptonBlue

Clearly you were there and I wasn't, and I don't doubt your personal experience, but there are plenty of stories of unpleasantness around the semi-final. For example:

Yes, I'm sure there were - we have a support base that is largely full of cretins unfortunately.

I can only speak to the general atmosphere and my own experiences; I had good chats with Danes before and after the game on Wednesday, and I don't think that would have been possible on Sunday. Wembley Way was like a warzone rather than a party.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:34 - Jul 13 with 2749 viewshype313

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:48 - Jul 13 by JakeITFC

The problem is made worse by the building of Boxpark and other bars that are there to attract non-match-goers to the area before the games, so the perimeter has to be that close to the stadium to allow access to there.

I thought maybe only letting ticket holders get to Wembley Park station might be an answer, but I'm not sure there's anywhere suitable beforehand on the Jubilee or Met lines to make that work either.

Who's idea to build a Boxpark so ticketless fans can be near the ground needs sacking, what do they expect to happen when people have been drinking all day right next to the ground.

Also, if you want to see more of Sunday just go to any major Boxing event or Ascot as these are breeding grounds for dickheads brazenly taking drugs and looking for anarchy.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:34 - Jul 13 with 2750 viewsBlueRaider

It was unbelievable, Wembley way was disgusting, never seen it like that before with broken glass, the stickiness, bottles, cans etc all over the place.

The COVID check point basically just quit because they couldn't cope with the number of people, and probably good that they did or there could have been a crush.

There was no check point to get tickets activated, the stewards had no clue and didn't seem to have been trained fully.

People at the turnstile I was at were openly asking people to photograph their tickets for £100, the girl in front of me got in with a photo of a QR code and shot off when inside.

There was just so few people in authority around, no-one at the turnstiles until you got in.

Honestly, it would have been far more secure with old fashioned paper tickets and a bloke on a turnstile.

It is all built up round there now, and as the article says, difficult now to put a ring of steel round the stadium, not impossible though, it was just a shambles.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:35 - Jul 13 with 2740 viewsBlueRaider

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:23 - Jul 13 by Radlett_blue

It seems that the degree of security outside the stadium was woefully inadequate, either through poor planning or unwillingness to pay for enough resources e.g. police. I guess COVID protocols helped create the huge logjam on Wembley Way & the organisers underestimated the number of ticketless fans who would arrive. Sadly reminiscent of Hillsborough, but fortunately no-one died or was seriously injured. Not helpful that a major final involving England was in London on a Sunday with an 8pm kick off, but that's more down to English yob mentality.

Should have kicked off at 5pm, much better for our friends on the continent too

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:38 - Jul 13 with 2721 viewshype313

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:35 - Jul 13 by BlueRaider

Should have kicked off at 5pm, much better for our friends on the continent too

Should have kicked off at 12, given that's the request of authorities whenever we play Norwich or other derbies take place.

Pub's to open at 11, I know that sounds like the fun has been taken out, but until we as a nation can behave properly, then we need these provisions put in place.

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:38 - Jul 13 with 2722 viewsBathBlue

Best article I've read on Sunday on 14:12 - Jul 13 by TrumptonBlue

I was at both, and the Germany game as well. The final was a completely different level - very threatening atmosphere at times. Think most of the trouble from the previous matches was around central London; here it was very prevalent around the stadium.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:38 - Jul 13 with 2721 viewsBlueRaider

Best article I've read on Sunday on 10:48 - Jul 13 by JakeITFC

Wembley Park station has not changed for decades, it needs a major rebuild so it can act as the point where people get stopped, along with another one at the Wembley stadium station, and then close off all other access points

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:40 - Jul 13 with 2711 viewshype313

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:38 - Jul 13 by BlueRaider

Wembley Park station has not changed for decades, it needs a major rebuild so it can act as the point where people get stopped, along with another one at the Wembley stadium station, and then close off all other access points

The fact of the matter is that we should have never rebuilt Wembley, the National stadium should have been built on the outskirts of Birmingham around the NEC.

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:45 - Jul 13 with 2690 viewstextbackup

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:38 - Jul 13 by BathBlue

I was at both, and the Germany game as well. The final was a completely different level - very threatening atmosphere at times. Think most of the trouble from the previous matches was around central London; here it was very prevalent around the stadium.

got off the train at Liv St and the bad feeling could be felt straight away, we've all gone to football long enough to be able to pick out an actual fan, over a pissed up chav, the best way I find is to listen to the songs.... the people that don't regularly attend just cant sing a football song for love or money, out of tune.... and liv st was full of them.

walked down to our hotel, 12/15 northern chavs, shirts off, empty cans all round them, skinny as a rake.

tube to baker street, again, not proper football songs, just noise. Us lot were sat down almost cringing hearing them.

baker street wasn't too bad, most there had been for the germany and Denmark games too.

WW - hell hole.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:50 - Jul 13 with 2645 viewsitfcjoe

Best article I've read on Sunday on 15:45 - Jul 13 by textbackup

got off the train at Liv St and the bad feeling could be felt straight away, we've all gone to football long enough to be able to pick out an actual fan, over a pissed up chav, the best way I find is to listen to the songs.... the people that don't regularly attend just cant sing a football song for love or money, out of tune.... and liv st was full of them.

walked down to our hotel, 12/15 northern chavs, shirts off, empty cans all round them, skinny as a rake.

tube to baker street, again, not proper football songs, just noise. Us lot were sat down almost cringing hearing them.

baker street wasn't too bad, most there had been for the germany and Denmark games too.

WW - hell hole.

Reminds me of when England play away in easy to get to destinations like Paris or Barcelona, a real edge and some people with so little interest in football that they don’t even bother going to the game despite travelling out there

Just an excuse to cause a bit of trouble in a big crowd

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best article I've read on Sunday on 16:20 - Jul 13 with 2552 viewsFreddies_Ears

Best article I've read on Sunday on 13:58 - Jul 13 by TractorWood

Similar to me. I wasn't in Moscow but it was not entirely dissimilar to Marseille in 2016. Total anarchy.

I've been going for 7 years or so home and away. Did all of Euro 2016 and maybe 25 matches in total.

I do feel let down as someone who does spend time, money and wider sacrifice in following England to accumulate the caps to watch us in big games.

Uefa charge absolutely top dollar for even bottom category tickets and they can't even coordinate a decent event. Add to that police who have so far denied it happened at all and then said they had it under control which is frankly laughable. Politicians who are continuing to fan the flames of the culture war.

I just don't want to follow them anymore tbh. Was so relieved to get back to Suffolk. We didn't deserve to win on and definitely off the pitch.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:04]

I'm with you. I'm not quite a top capper, but I am in the top 700 or so Englandfans. I am honestly not sure I am going to go to any more England games. I appreciate home to San Marino won't attract the idiots, but that's not the point. It will take me a long time to get over the disgusting events of Sunday.

I am not honestly sure the authorities give a toss.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 16:46 - Jul 13 with 2487 viewsJakeITFC

Best article I've read on Sunday on 16:20 - Jul 13 by Freddies_Ears

I'm with you. I'm not quite a top capper, but I am in the top 700 or so Englandfans. I am honestly not sure I am going to go to any more England games. I appreciate home to San Marino won't attract the idiots, but that's not the point. It will take me a long time to get over the disgusting events of Sunday.

I am not honestly sure the authorities give a toss.

I've renewed my membership and plan to do a bit of Qatar, but I think that may be my last hurrah too.
Best article I've read on Sunday on 16:50 - Jul 13 with 2473 viewstextbackup

Best article I've read on Sunday on 16:46 - Jul 13 by JakeITFC

I've renewed my membership and plan to do a bit of Qatar, but I think that may be my last hurrah too.

after the 1/4 and 1/2 finals I really had the bug, and planned to build caps for euro2024.... then after the final, remembering its in germany, i'm not too sure that'll be a decent place to go surrounded by what else will travel over

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024