Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... 18:41 - Jul 29 with 4701 viewsBloots

...thinks it's a waste of time, happy with Cat 2.

More interested in progressing our existing players through the age groups.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:57 - Jul 30 with 845 viewsCrockerITFC

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:30 - Jul 29 by chrismakin

Really annoyed me that

Some of the questions tonight really show the various types of fans the club has.

The question along the lines of "Portsmouth - what's going on there?" was a particular highlight
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:16 - Jul 30 with 790 viewsSharkey

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:57 - Jul 30 by CrockerITFC

The question along the lines of "Portsmouth - what's going on there?" was a particular highlight

Cook’s comment along the lines of ‘Pompey fans love to think they’re so special but they can be really destructive to the team too’ was tasty !
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:31 - Jul 30 with 765 viewsTomTheWriter

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:50 - Jul 30 by timothyeo

That's nonsense.

The whole talk was relatively pointless but generally positive. The academy stuff is something i'm not happy about though.

If all you need to do is 'improve the loan programme' then no-one would have Cat 1. The reality is Cat 1 has a range of benefits and it's exactly why many clubs invest into it. We only have to look down the road to see just how beneficial it can be.

It doesn't massively surprise me though because at the end of the day these owners are all about quick turn around and making money for the fund - long term investments are unlikely. Which is a shame for the long-term future of the club, but still, with where we are now I guess we all take it.

I can fully understand Ashton’s comments about not wanting to grow into a Cat1 club right now.

Peterborough just got promoted, and were finally granted Cat 2 status this summer. League 1 isn’t w place for a Cat1 academy. Look at Sunderland, they get ripped to shreds every summer because, even though Cat1 gives you greater protection over your players, no one wants to be in a League One academy.

Cat1 would be a poor investment this season - however, once we become a settled Championship side, that’s when the Cat1 needs to be pursued. You get a greater chance of keeping your kids if your one step away from the Premier League, rather than being slapped in the middle of the professional pyramid.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:33 - Jul 30 with 762 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think that particular bloke was trying to get down the road of, “if Mr Cook is sooooo good, how come Portsmouth are still in league one? Well? WELL?”

All the time not realising Cook left the when they were promoted from L2

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:35 - Jul 30 with 751 viewsCuffy81

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:31 - Jul 30 by TomTheWriter

I can fully understand Ashton’s comments about not wanting to grow into a Cat1 club right now.

Peterborough just got promoted, and were finally granted Cat 2 status this summer. League 1 isn’t w place for a Cat1 academy. Look at Sunderland, they get ripped to shreds every summer because, even though Cat1 gives you greater protection over your players, no one wants to be in a League One academy.

Cat1 would be a poor investment this season - however, once we become a settled Championship side, that’s when the Cat1 needs to be pursued. You get a greater chance of keeping your kids if your one step away from the Premier League, rather than being slapped in the middle of the professional pyramid.

Bang on

Its about priorities right now, number one being getting out of this league.

Cat 1 will come in time - its not like we are million miles away.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:37 - Jul 30 with 739 viewstimothyeo

Sorry, I do understand it from a League One perspective but to me it sounded like there was generally no real interest full stop.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:40 - Jul 30 with 726 viewsitfcjoe

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 10:37 - Jul 30 by timothyeo

Sorry, I do understand it from a League One perspective but to me it sounded like there was generally no real interest full stop.

That was any view on the answer given as well, that there didn’t seem any ambition to step it up at any point

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:01 - Jul 30 with 678 viewsJDB23

Yes it sounded like that to me also but let’s see, maybe it gets revisited. I disagree with your statement about no long term investments being made though, there are plenty that have been spoken of. New modern pitch, big screen installed, modernisation of the stadium, training ground improvements etc. All of these things will be providing value to us in 10 years time even if under a different ownership, some of them may provide short term gain also.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:07 - Jul 30 with 656 viewsTomTheWriter

It’ll probably be based on circumstance. If we get back-to-back promotion like Norwich did about 10 years back, then you’d like to think Cat1 would be top of the priority list. If we don’t go up this year, or if we do but we struggle next year, then Cat1 probably won’t be at the top of the list.

As much as we begrudge them, Norwich are the perfect example of a well-run academy, stepping up their youth set up once they turned themselves into a play-off/premier league side.

For now, we need to focus on getting to the middle of the Championship, expanding the loan network so we have a team that can benefit from the players annually, sort of like the West Brom - Lincoln set up, and see where that all takes us. Hopefully, we can see a large amount of our youth players out playing senior football next season.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:27 - Jul 30 with 619 viewsGeomorph

Just random and nonsensical wasn’t it.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:36 - Jul 30 with 591 viewsfranz_tyson

As been said before, it’s about priorities.

Sorry, but sometimes I feel some look at the academy in equal terms as that of the first team. However good the academy is, it’s never going to supplement the core of the first team. It’s not going to drive the first team, the first team will hopefully be the one that can offer higher standards which drives the academy forward. Maybe we get a lesser quantity but more high quality academy lads come through.
Time will tell. I just want these guys to focus on the first team for the moment. It’s a big moment in our history and so many changes, so why get side-tracked? Leave Ashton for now to deal with bringing first team players in. It’s hardly as if they want to shut the academy doors.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:43 - Jul 30 with 566 viewsBlueBlood90

If Mark Ashton doesn't care about it then that's good enough for me.

I really don't understand peoples obsessions with the youth team anyway. If we can develop some of our own then great but if not who cares. I just want the best players playing for ITFC and whoever developed them or where they are born is irrelevant to me.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 12:41 - Jul 30 with 510 viewsJ2BLUE

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 11:43 - Jul 30 by BlueBlood90

If Mark Ashton doesn't care about it then that's good enough for me.

I really don't understand peoples obsessions with the youth team anyway. If we can develop some of our own then great but if not who cares. I just want the best players playing for ITFC and whoever developed them or where they are born is irrelevant to me.

Same. In an ideal world we'd have plenty of academy graduates in the team but i'm not that bothered. I just want this club to rise again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 13:50 - Jul 30 with 456 viewstimothyeo

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 12:41 - Jul 30 by J2BLUE

Same. In an ideal world we'd have plenty of academy graduates in the team but i'm not that bothered. I just want this club to rise again.

I find that sad. There's something special about local players, or long-term academy prospects, growing within the club as players and representing the first team.

Also, just because Ashton isn't interested doesn't make it right - he has a really patchy record in decision making as recent as Bristol City if you listen to any of their fans. We can't start this weird adulation thing our fans do whenever someone new comes in...
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 13:55 - Jul 30 with 439 viewsJ2BLUE

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 13:50 - Jul 30 by timothyeo

I find that sad. There's something special about local players, or long-term academy prospects, growing within the club as players and representing the first team.

Also, just because Ashton isn't interested doesn't make it right - he has a really patchy record in decision making as recent as Bristol City if you listen to any of their fans. We can't start this weird adulation thing our fans do whenever someone new comes in...

I have always supported the academy but make no apologies for my main loyalty being to the club overall. We'd all love a team of academy graduates but if we need to buy players to go back up then so be it. I think one piece of news we would all love to see is Downes welcomed back as that would solve the need for a CM signing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 14:57 - Jul 30 with 398 viewsChurchman

I agree with this.

Assuming the club progresses, I hope Cat One becomes more viable. If they believe Cat Two serves its purpose at the moment, I’m ok with that.

Tbh, I wish we were looking for Cat One but that is probably sentiment, I.e. me just wishing we’re in a better place as a club than we actually are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024