Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi 18:00 - Aug 8 with 6384 viewsBelsteadCav

If he was really in love with Barca he’d play on 100k a week, like the rest of the squad.

But hes going to PSG for 25m a year

Don’t believe those crocodile tears

All about the money

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Messi on 14:26 - Aug 9 with 1253 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 14:10 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

On the other hand you could simply have explained that it's not possible for Messi to play for free, and "why"?

It does actually seem complicated, and I'm sorry but I still don't understand why a wage total of a billion pesetas + 0 amount for Messi somehow comes to a new total of a billion & one pesetas.

That was explained in a previous post. Barça are already 25% above of what they are allowed to pay, at 95% of turnover. Messi wasn't registered as a Barça player so anything he was paid under a new contract would increase that percentage.

Messi agreed to a 50% wage cut, Barça thought they would be able to move on other higher earners, freeing up wage pressure. They couldn't so they told Messi he was unable to continue.

All this stuff about greed and blubbing is pure nonsense. As is all the posts saying he should play for free or 100k / week. There are a lot of people who have jumped on the thread without reading posts, or checking facts, or in one case just too dumb to understand the situation.
Messi on 14:48 - Aug 9 with 1233 viewsChrisd

Messi on 14:26 - Aug 9 by BarcaBlue

That was explained in a previous post. Barça are already 25% above of what they are allowed to pay, at 95% of turnover. Messi wasn't registered as a Barça player so anything he was paid under a new contract would increase that percentage.

Messi agreed to a 50% wage cut, Barça thought they would be able to move on other higher earners, freeing up wage pressure. They couldn't so they told Messi he was unable to continue.

All this stuff about greed and blubbing is pure nonsense. As is all the posts saying he should play for free or 100k / week. There are a lot of people who have jumped on the thread without reading posts, or checking facts, or in one case just too dumb to understand the situation.

What it does highlight is how poorly run football clubs are and that player's ridiculous wages are ruining football. If a club like Barcelona can get it so wrong, with their huge attendances and global commercial appeal then it doesn't hold out much hope for the rest of us.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Messi on 14:55 - Aug 9 with 1228 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 14:48 - Aug 9 by Chrisd

What it does highlight is how poorly run football clubs are and that player's ridiculous wages are ruining football. If a club like Barcelona can get it so wrong, with their huge attendances and global commercial appeal then it doesn't hold out much hope for the rest of us.

That's very true, Barça are a complete mess right now. It was only last season that the previous regime hired a media company to rubbish their own players on social media. The club's offices were also raided by the police investigating irregulariies. Both investigations are on-going so the future doesn't look bright either.
Messi on 15:43 - Aug 9 with 1193 viewsronnyd

Messi on 19:58 - Aug 8 by bluelagos

Appreciate he earns money that is in another world for many of us, but think the comment about crocodile tears are wide of the mark.

He has been at Barca since a child, he left his home country to join them still a kid. His family moved and he has known nothing other than being a Barca player. Every coach, manager and team mate he has ever had has been a Barca one.

For 20 odd years he will have felt part of a family, for that is very much what Barca is, a club that is identified almost as a national club, the Catalan club that represents their nation. At a time too when they tried to gain independence and Spain imprisoned their political leaders.

Messi throughout this turmoil has stayed with the club, with the fans. To state his tears are crocodile tears merely demonstrates a lack of understanding for all that Barca are and all they represent.

Little doubt they have been mismanaged, little doubt Messi well rewarded, but I don't for a minute doubt leaving his club, his home, a club that is all he knows, will be incredibly upsetting for him imho.

Sorry to be late on this, but, don't get the Catalan connection. Yes, he's been there since chilhood, but he is Argentinian. Is there any connect between Catalunia and the Argentine that i'm unaware of. Just asking.
Messi on 16:26 - Aug 9 with 1161 viewstractorboy1978

I believe La Liga are the only big European league that are not making allowances for COVID? Listening to Simon Jordan on Talksport he reckons the conclusion to this will be that La Liga back down for all clubs and Barca will be allowed to add another €300m odd to their turnover. And Messi will re-sign.
Messi on 16:45 - Aug 9 with 1139 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 16:26 - Aug 9 by tractorboy1978

I believe La Liga are the only big European league that are not making allowances for COVID? Listening to Simon Jordan on Talksport he reckons the conclusion to this will be that La Liga back down for all clubs and Barca will be allowed to add another €300m odd to their turnover. And Messi will re-sign.

I hadn't considered that and it makes sense. There's no love lost hetween Tebas, La Liga boss, and Barça but they don't really want Messi leaving the league either. It may be too late, it may also be that Barça are not that fussed that he's leaving. Messi hinted yesterday that Barça had done nothing to try to find a solution although he did backtrack a bit when questioned.
Messi on 16:46 - Aug 9 with 1138 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Messi on 14:48 - Aug 9 by Chrisd

Any club can get it wrong. The difference is the scale and the implications.

If an accountant, buyer or CEO makes a major mistake at a small company it might cost a few tens of thousand pounds and cost several jobs in the end.

If a higher level accountant, buyer or CEO makes a major mistake at a multi-national business, it might cost tens of millions and result in many more job losses.

There is so much more to this situation with government involvement and unforeseen circumstances but it does also look like terrible management as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Messi on 16:59 - Aug 9 with 1126 viewsjayessess

Messi on 16:46 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

Any club can get it wrong. The difference is the scale and the implications.

If an accountant, buyer or CEO makes a major mistake at a small company it might cost a few tens of thousand pounds and cost several jobs in the end.

If a higher level accountant, buyer or CEO makes a major mistake at a multi-national business, it might cost tens of millions and result in many more job losses.

There is so much more to this situation with government involvement and unforeseen circumstances but it does also look like terrible management as well.

There was a recent FT article that went into the whole mess. Part of it was the presidency from 2014 operated under the logic that because Barcelona was the biggest football club in the world that meant that (a) they had target lists of one, for which they paid more or less whatever was asked and (b) they expected to be gouged by prospective sellers and agents. So they did things like going to Dortmund to negotiate for Dembele with a negotiating target of £80m maximum and then ended up agreeing to pay twice that because they couldn't come back empty handed. In part this was also electoral politics - you win presidential elections by promising the members you'll buy or retain certain players.

So they did things like signing (then 28-year-old) Griezmann for his €120m buy-out clause, then more than doubling his wages from the £390k a week he got at Atleti to the nearly £900k. Signings that, since they were massive over-payments, couldn't be undone, because no-one would pay even close to the same wages or the same fees.

Basically, an absolute masterclass in amateurish administration.
Here's the article (paywall):
https://www.ft.com/content/c2c8565a-e282-481c-8897-0530b0c81bce?sharetype=blocke

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Messi on 18:22 - Aug 9 with 1086 viewsRyorry

Appreciate that, but it still doesn't explain why Messi playing for 0 under a new contract "would increase that percentage".

And I hope it wasn't me who you were describing as "dumb". It's clearly an extremely complex situation which doesn't even come under UK legislation.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Messi on 18:33 - Aug 9 with 1069 viewsSamWhiteUK

Messi on 18:22 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Appreciate that, but it still doesn't explain why Messi playing for 0 under a new contract "would increase that percentage".

And I hope it wasn't me who you were describing as "dumb". It's clearly an extremely complex situation which doesn't even come under UK legislation.

If the bit about him not being registered is correct, the ruling is basically that if you are over whatever percentage it is, you can't register anyone, full stop. Even paying them nothing. Yes, it is weird
Messi on 18:40 - Aug 9 with 1065 viewsjayessess

Messi on 18:33 - Aug 9 by SamWhiteUK

If the bit about him not being registered is correct, the ruling is basically that if you are over whatever percentage it is, you can't register anyone, full stop. Even paying them nothing. Yes, it is weird

It's how the salary cap would work in L1 if the EFL really meant it, tbf.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Messi on 19:05 - Aug 9 with 1051 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 18:22 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

No, I wasn't referring to you, sorry for any misunderstanding. A poster who has a history of posting on things they have no clue about, and when challenged, changes focus but with equally ridiculous assertions.
Messi on 23:18 - Aug 9 with 985 viewsRyorry

Messi on 18:33 - Aug 9 by SamWhiteUK

Ah, I see, thanks for the explan 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Messi on 23:20 - Aug 9 with 979 viewschrismakin

Messi on 19:05 - Aug 9 by BarcaBlue

No, I wasn't referring to you, sorry for any misunderstanding. A poster who has a history of posting on things they have no clue about, and when challenged, changes focus but with equally ridiculous assertions.

Almost as ridiculous as saying messi cost nothing to the club ;)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Messi on 06:23 - Aug 10 with 939 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 23:20 - Aug 9 by chrismakin

Almost as ridiculous as saying messi cost nothing to the club ;)

You do this all the time and it's no wonder people get fed up with the general constant drivel you post.

You first said that Messi was greedy and blubbing, when you realized you were wrong you ignored the blubbing and said you meant he was greedy over his years at Barça. You were shown to be wrong again but rather than admit it you pick up on a throwaway comment I made that I wouldn't be surprised if with revenue Messi generates could mean the net cost on his contract is zero.

Well, guess what? I'm not surprised

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/leo-messi-generates-more-for-barcelona-than-h

https://en.as.com/en/2021/08/09/soccer/1628510761_263647.html

I don't expect you to read either article or any similar ones a quick search brought up. That's not your style. I do expect a half arsed deflection about how you were talking about a different Messi or another club called Barcelona.
Messi on 11:16 - Aug 10 with 888 viewsBarcaBlue

There's an easy to read summary in The Guardian today explaining why it's not about the money, how he couldn't play for 100k a week (or less) and why they weren't crocodile tears

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/10/messis-exit-shows-players-
Messi on 11:34 - Aug 10 with 858 viewsElderGrizzly

Messi on 11:16 - Aug 10 by BarcaBlue

There's an easy to read summary in The Guardian today explaining why it's not about the money, how he couldn't play for 100k a week (or less) and why they weren't crocodile tears

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/10/messis-exit-shows-players-

Looks like all agreed at PSG.

£35m a season (after tax).
Messi on 12:08 - Aug 10 with 815 viewsBloomBlue

Messi on 11:34 - Aug 10 by ElderGrizzly

Looks like all agreed at PSG.

£35m a season (after tax).

It's going to get messy, how can PSG pay that sort of money under UEFA FFP rules with all the other players they have?
Messi on 15:45 - Aug 10 with 771 viewsBig_Foot_Blue

For what it's worth, it would be illegal for Messi to do that.

Spanish law says you CANNOT sign a new contract for less than 50% of the value of his last contract. The greatest player of all time, with no hesitation, accepted a 50% pay cut, the most he could by law, to stay at what he considers home.

If Barcelona wanted him they could have signed a new deal while he was still their player and spent all summer selling players to get under the wage cap. However, once he became a free agent they couldn't re-register him until they were already under the wage cap, which they couldn't manage. They would have known this for at least a week or two and yet still let Messi believe a matter of days ago that he was flying home to sign his contract. He has been lied to and then found out he has to leave his home or retire in a matter of hours, that is enough to make anyone emotional.

Poll: Which would you prefer? A win against Doncaster at 3PM today or a draw at the Emirates on Tuesday?
Blog: [Blog] Unfair Criticism?

Messi on 18:28 - Aug 10 with 730 viewschrismakin

Messi on 06:23 - Aug 10 by BarcaBlue

You do this all the time and it's no wonder people get fed up with the general constant drivel you post.

You first said that Messi was greedy and blubbing, when you realized you were wrong you ignored the blubbing and said you meant he was greedy over his years at Barça. You were shown to be wrong again but rather than admit it you pick up on a throwaway comment I made that I wouldn't be surprised if with revenue Messi generates could mean the net cost on his contract is zero.

Well, guess what? I'm not surprised

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/leo-messi-generates-more-for-barcelona-than-h

https://en.as.com/en/2021/08/09/soccer/1628510761_263647.html

I don't expect you to read either article or any similar ones a quick search brought up. That's not your style. I do expect a half arsed deflection about how you were talking about a different Messi or another club called Barcelona.

Oooo all the time. Same old boring moans and incorrect too.

You keep throwing stories out. It doesnt matter what can or cant be done by the club now. Hes been a massive part of the clubs financial problems. If it was that great. They wouldnt have their issues.
I get your point about the pull of him as a player.. so again imagine how much he could have helped the club he loved if he played for half of what he has been for years.. the profit the club could have made from him..

Anyone. Dont care who it is. Who demands that amount of money to play football each season is a greedy fker. So dont stand there crying when you've held the club to ransom for so many years.

I get it you're a barcablue. You can have your opinion. Just accept not everyone will fall for the tears.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 18:31]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Messi on 18:33 - Aug 10 with 722 viewsFunge

Messi on 18:28 - Aug 10 by chrismakin

You keep throwing stories out. It doesnt matter what can or cant be done by the club now. Hes been a massive part of the clubs financial problems. If it was that great. They wouldnt have their issues.
I get your point about the pull of him as a player.. so again imagine how much he could have helped the club he loved if he played for half of what he has been for years.. the profit the club could have made from him..

Anyone. Dont care who it is. Who demands that amount of money to play football each season is a greedy fker. So dont stand there crying when you've held the club to ransom for so many years.

I get it you're a barcablue. You can have your opinion. Just accept not everyone will fall for the tears.

Stop being a nob, our man from Barca knows what he's talking about.

Verified here:-

Messi on 18:36 - Aug 10 with 716 viewschrismakin

Messi on 18:33 - Aug 10 by Funge

Stop being a nob, our man from Barca knows what he's talking about.

Verified here:-

Me and Barca arent disgusting the whys. We are talking about the effects of messi and his historic wages.

Messi on 18:39 - Aug 10 with 710 viewsFunge

Messi on 18:36 - Aug 10 by chrismakin

Me and Barca arent disgusting the whys. We are talking about the effects of messi and his historic wages.

Mad that one of the best players of all time, gets paid insane money.
Messi on 18:41 - Aug 10 with 702 viewschrismakin

Messi on 18:39 - Aug 10 by Funge

Mad that one of the best players of all time, gets paid insane money.

Wasnt forced to demand an insane amount of money ;)

Messi on 22:12 - Aug 10 with 664 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 18:28 - Aug 10 by chrismakin

I have no idea what you are talking about, what your point is and I don't think you do either. Your subsequent posts make even less sense if that is possible.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024