Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi 18:00 - Aug 8 with 6381 viewsBelsteadCav

If he was really in love with Barca he’d play on 100k a week, like the rest of the squad.

But hes going to PSG for 25m a year

Don’t believe those crocodile tears

All about the money

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Messi on 19:47 - Aug 8 with 1315 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Messi on 19:29 - Aug 8 by BarcaBlue

The club asked him to take a 50% pay cut, he accepted and was expecting to start training last Friday. You may struggle with facts but I thought I might need to repeat it for you.

As for his previous contracts, I'm pretty sure that's what they call "negotiation", reaching a deal that both parties agree on.

I'm sure Barça have a very good idea of the revenue Messi generates each year and make an offer accordingly - it wouldn't surprise me if he's ended up costing zero. Messi was never really the problem but a series of poor signings by the previous regime. Like I said you don't have a point or a clue.

I agree with some of what you’ve said on this thread but I can’t let that ‘ended up costing zero’ comment go. He was on 132m a year. Barca certainly were not making that back from his inclusion.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Messi on 19:51 - Aug 8 with 1304 viewschrismakin

Messi on 19:46 - Aug 8 by BarcaBlue

You obviously don't have a clue, there aren't players like Messi. Barça signed players that made no sporting or financial sense - that's where most of the problem lies, not with a greedy and blubbing Messi.

But in your case if messi was zero.. imagine how it would have helped his club over the years if he was on less than he was.. that zero that you speak of could become profit ;)

Can try to sugarcoat it and blame other players etc. But its fact. He like many are greedy as fk. Thats not a problem none of us in life would turn the chance down to earn multi millions. But then dont cry when it comes to a head.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Messi on 19:54 - Aug 8 with 1295 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 19:47 - Aug 8 by The_Romford_Blue

I agree with some of what you’ve said on this thread but I can’t let that ‘ended up costing zero’ comment go. He was on 132m a year. Barca certainly were not making that back from his inclusion.

I said it wouldn't surprise me, and it wouldn't. I'm not talking about shirt sales but titles, summer / winter tours, sponsorship deals, merch, tourism etc etc etc. Messi at Barça generates a shed load of money. I don't know how much he brings in but it's not an outlandish notion that it might equate to his salary.
Messi on 19:55 - Aug 8 with 1293 viewsElderGrizzly

Messi on 18:13 - Aug 8 by Devereuxxx

Even if he played for free they wouldn't be able to register him as they have been required to bring their wage bill to under 70% of total turnover and they're at 95%. Looks like both club and player tried everything for him to stay, but it's the clubs utterly terrible economic mismanagement which has lead to this.

Indeed. Their wage bill 2 years ago was €600m+
Messi on 19:56 - Aug 8 with 1290 viewsjas0999

Exactly this. Money.
Messi on 19:58 - Aug 8 with 1285 viewsbluelagos

Appreciate he earns money that is in another world for many of us, but think the comment about crocodile tears are wide of the mark.

He has been at Barca since a child, he left his home country to join them still a kid. His family moved and he has known nothing other than being a Barca player. Every coach, manager and team mate he has ever had has been a Barca one.

For 20 odd years he will have felt part of a family, for that is very much what Barca is, a club that is identified almost as a national club, the Catalan club that represents their nation. At a time too when they tried to gain independence and Spain imprisoned their political leaders.

Messi throughout this turmoil has stayed with the club, with the fans. To state his tears are crocodile tears merely demonstrates a lack of understanding for all that Barca are and all they represent.

Little doubt they have been mismanaged, little doubt Messi well rewarded, but I don't for a minute doubt leaving his club, his home, a club that is all he knows, will be incredibly upsetting for him imho.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Messi on 20:02 - Aug 8 with 1270 viewsBarcaBlue

Messi on 19:51 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

But in your case if messi was zero.. imagine how it would have helped his club over the years if he was on less than he was.. that zero that you speak of could become profit ;)

Can try to sugarcoat it and blame other players etc. But its fact. He like many are greedy as fk. Thats not a problem none of us in life would turn the chance down to earn multi millions. But then dont cry when it comes to a head.

Jesus wept, I give up. You can't argue with stupid.
Messi on 20:04 - Aug 8 with 1262 viewschrismakin

Messi on 20:02 - Aug 8 by BarcaBlue

Jesus wept, I give up. You can't argue with stupid.

Correct you cant argue with yourself. Bit one sided.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

Messi on 20:06 - Aug 8 with 1263 viewschrismakin

Messi on 19:58 - Aug 8 by bluelagos

Appreciate he earns money that is in another world for many of us, but think the comment about crocodile tears are wide of the mark.

He has been at Barca since a child, he left his home country to join them still a kid. His family moved and he has known nothing other than being a Barca player. Every coach, manager and team mate he has ever had has been a Barca one.

For 20 odd years he will have felt part of a family, for that is very much what Barca is, a club that is identified almost as a national club, the Catalan club that represents their nation. At a time too when they tried to gain independence and Spain imprisoned their political leaders.

Messi throughout this turmoil has stayed with the club, with the fans. To state his tears are crocodile tears merely demonstrates a lack of understanding for all that Barca are and all they represent.

Little doubt they have been mismanaged, little doubt Messi well rewarded, but I don't for a minute doubt leaving his club, his home, a club that is all he knows, will be incredibly upsetting for him imho.

Bet he joins PSG tho. Such is his love purely of football and not finances of course.

Messi on 20:11 - Aug 8 with 1245 viewsbluelagos

Messi on 20:06 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Bet he joins PSG tho. Such is his love purely of football and not finances of course.

Wtt has that got to do with his being upset at leaving Barca?

You seem to be of the opinion that because he has ridiculous amounts of money, he is immune to the normal feelings people have when moving on from friends, colleagues that they are attached too.

Quite bizarre tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Messi on 21:16 - Aug 8 with 1194 viewsSitfcB

Messi on 18:02 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Made me laugh his tears. It's completely in his hands.
Cant even say it's about making a future for himself and family when hes earned what he has.

Agree, he could’ve said he’d play for £20k a week! Doubt he needs the money.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Messi on 21:18 - Aug 8 with 1194 viewsSitfcB

Messi on 18:12 - Aug 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

If your job was paying £50k a year and you loved your job, your spending would be based on £50k a year.

If your job then wen't down to £25k a year overnight, you'd end up in the shoite pretty quickly wouldn't you and would end up having to leave the job you love, to take another because you love your family more.

Messi would be fine even if he didn’t earn another penny for many many years.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 21:18]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Messi on 23:57 - Aug 8 with 1124 viewsJ2BLUE

Messi on 20:11 - Aug 8 by bluelagos

Wtt has that got to do with his being upset at leaving Barca?

You seem to be of the opinion that because he has ridiculous amounts of money, he is immune to the normal feelings people have when moving on from friends, colleagues that they are attached too.

Quite bizarre tbh.

If he had offered to play for free i'm sure they would have found a way to register him.

As others have pointed out is worth an absolute fortune. If he loves Barcelona that much he could have played another couple of years for free. Whether he should or not is another issue but if you care about the club that much that you're in tears leaving then what is the point of leaving?

Again, people might argue for his right to earn what he wants and of course they have a point but why leave a club you adore for money when he must be worth hundreds of millions?

Can't say I have a massive amount of sympathy.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Messi on 00:19 - Aug 9 with 1095 viewsRyorry

Messi on 23:57 - Aug 8 by J2BLUE

If he had offered to play for free i'm sure they would have found a way to register him.

As others have pointed out is worth an absolute fortune. If he loves Barcelona that much he could have played another couple of years for free. Whether he should or not is another issue but if you care about the club that much that you're in tears leaving then what is the point of leaving?

Again, people might argue for his right to earn what he wants and of course they have a point but why leave a club you adore for money when he must be worth hundreds of millions?

Can't say I have a massive amount of sympathy.

Exactly. Unless anyone can enlighten me as to how playing for 0 pesetas somehow adds to Barca's wage-bill?

On the wages he was on for years before this, he'll have plenty in the bank to cover his & his family's living costs.

I do think his tears were genuine tho, you can't stay in one community that's also your workplace for 20 years without feeling a massive emotional wrench at leaving it.

It all reminds me of a fav old song -

Lyrics
What do you want if you don't want money?
What do you want if you don't want gold?
Say what you want and I'll give it you, darling
Wish you wanted my love, baby

What do you want if you don't want ermine?
What do you want if you don't want pearls?

Well, I'm offering you this heart of mine
But all you do is play it cool
What do you want?
Oh, boy, you're making a fool of me

One of these days when you need my kissing
One of these days when you want me, too
Don't turn around 'cause I'll be missing
Then, you'll want my love, baby

Well, I'm offering you a diamond ring
But all you do is turn me down
What do you want?
Oh, boy, you're goin' to town on me

Well, then, you'll want my love, baby

Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: John Worsley
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 0:25]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

You’re absolutely right on 00:29 - Aug 9 with 1079 viewsunstableblue

Messi on 18:46 - Aug 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

'All about the money'...... Disagree.

It's only £480k a week before tax.
Plus appearance bonuses.
Plus goal bonuses.
Plus a hefty signing-on bonus.
Plus sponsorships.

The guy needs the money. Barca were obviously not able to pay him what he needs to live and support his family. He's probably not got a lot saved in the bank either. Say if Barca had offered him £100k a week to stay, how could you expect anyone to live on that? Could you or I? Doubt it.

How can live under these conditions

Apparently the taps in a sink he has in his Ferrari basement garage complex are only gold plated, rather than solid gold.

Should we set up a justgivingpage?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Messi on 02:53 - Aug 9 with 1035 viewsmutters

Messi on 20:04 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Correct you cant argue with yourself. Bit one sided.

May I suggest you go and read up on the facts with respects to his contract. No contract can be signed due to their current revenue to wage ratio being at approximately 95%. With Messis new contract it would be at 115%. La Liga has a rule that it can be at 70% max. Hence he can not sign for or be signed by Barca. Likewise I am lead to be believe that there is a law in place in Spain saying that a person can not work for less than 50% of their previous contract. So he reduced it to the max possible with the current situation.

Barca knew this was coming, they thought they could release other players to give them the flexibility. They have dug themselves into this corner due to years and years of financial mismanagement. They could have cashed in last year and sold him for 100m+ when he wanted out but they chose not to and force him to stay.

Now whether he is currently worth the alleged 132 per annum is up to debate but over the course of his career there he has repaid his wages easily. Its always difficult to see how much value a person adds but it's not always down to shirt sales. Have been going to the Nou camp 3 or 4 times a year for 20+ years. The amount of people I've met who have flown in from all over the world to just see Messi was unreal.

Almost the same pull as Graham Harbey..... 😜

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Messi on 09:04 - Aug 9 with 953 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Messi on 00:19 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Exactly. Unless anyone can enlighten me as to how playing for 0 pesetas somehow adds to Barca's wage-bill?

On the wages he was on for years before this, he'll have plenty in the bank to cover his & his family's living costs.

I do think his tears were genuine tho, you can't stay in one community that's also your workplace for 20 years without feeling a massive emotional wrench at leaving it.

It all reminds me of a fav old song -

Lyrics
What do you want if you don't want money?
What do you want if you don't want gold?

What do you want if you don't want ermine?
What do you want if you don't want pearls?

Well, I'm offering you this heart of mine
But all you do is play it cool
What do you want?
Oh, boy, you're making a fool of me

Well, I'm offering you a diamond ring
But all you do is turn me down
What do you want?
Oh, boy, you're goin' to town on me

Well, then, you'll want my love, baby

Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: John Worsley
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 0:25]

Some of the dancing from those on the floor in that video is absolutely horrendous!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Messi on 09:22 - Aug 9 with 929 viewsgtsb1966

I did the Barca stadium tour three years ago and it was 25 Euros. The guide said that during the holiday season they were averaging 12,000 visitors a day. You can see how covid has really messed them up amongst other things.
Messi on 09:33 - Aug 9 with 916 viewsSamWhiteUK

I'll say it one more time for those of you who are incapable of reading, listening, comprehending, or any combination the above.

Barcelona's wages are too high. They cannot sign Messi EVEN IF HE AGREES TO PLAY FOR FREE. Even without Messi, they cannot register the likes of Aguero. Messi would likely have to PAY BARCELONA to play

It's really not that complicated. But hey, I'm sure I'll get ignored as well and people will carry on talking about how he should have taken a pay cut
Messi on 09:42 - Aug 9 with 902 viewsglasso

Messi on 19:54 - Aug 8 by BarcaBlue

I said it wouldn't surprise me, and it wouldn't. I'm not talking about shirt sales but titles, summer / winter tours, sponsorship deals, merch, tourism etc etc etc. Messi at Barça generates a shed load of money. I don't know how much he brings in but it's not an outlandish notion that it might equate to his salary.

I said this on another thread, but literally only in football could you argue - as a positive - that one of your top earning employees might be a positive thing because he 'ends up breaking even.'

That's why football is in a mess. It's a business. Your employees shouldn't break even as an absolute best result, they should bring in more than they earn. Especially as - unlike normal businesses - the employees have a ton of outside incomes on top of their daily wages, which come about *entirely* because of the fact they work for this particular company.
Messi on 09:46 - Aug 9 with 892 viewsChrisd

Was thinking exactly the same BelsteadCav. All these tears and sad words, the man is a multi millionaire, if he really wants to stay why can't he live on £100,000p/w? Simply laughable the antics over his departure from the club and none of the Barcelona fans have cottoned on yet and thought to question that?!

Messi is an absolute joker!!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 12:20]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Messi on 11:47 - Aug 9 with 845 viewsOldboy

Was my favourite non Ipswich player, but no longer. Could play for a nominal wage after all he has. He has given so much to Barcelona, but they have given him wealth most can only dream of. He should play for next to nothing if he really meant that interview.
Messi on 11:50 - Aug 9 with 830 viewsTractorCam

Messi on 09:33 - Aug 9 by SamWhiteUK

I'll say it one more time for those of you who are incapable of reading, listening, comprehending, or any combination the above.

Barcelona's wages are too high. They cannot sign Messi EVEN IF HE AGREES TO PLAY FOR FREE. Even without Messi, they cannot register the likes of Aguero. Messi would likely have to PAY BARCELONA to play

It's really not that complicated. But hey, I'm sure I'll get ignored as well and people will carry on talking about how he should have taken a pay cut

+13 likes on the OP and still comments slating him when it's now been well documented on here and in the news in general. Who wants to read though?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Messi on 14:00 - Aug 9 with 762 viewsRyorry

Messi on 09:04 - Aug 9 by The_Romford_Blue

Some of the dancing from those on the floor in that video is absolutely horrendous!

😂 TWTD!

Messi on 14:10 - Aug 9 with 746 viewsRyorry

Messi on 09:33 - Aug 9 by SamWhiteUK

On the other hand you could simply have explained that it's not possible for Messi to play for free, and "why"?

It does actually seem complicated, and I'm sorry but I still don't understand why a wage total of a billion pesetas + 0 amount for Messi somehow comes to a new total of a billion & one pesetas.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024