Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) 07:46 - Sep 12 with 4675 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:45 - Sep 12 with 887 viewsNeedhamChris

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:41 - Sep 12 by chrismakin

I think PC's waiting to get a couple wins on the board before bringing in an Assistant.

Do it now, and we start winning, PC's lost all managerial credit other than his new assistant making the difference.

If that was to be case, then putting ego first is as good a reason as any to get rid anyway

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:49 - Sep 12 with 884 viewsjayessess

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:19 - Sep 12 by pointofblue

I’d normally agree but our coaching team is a mess. We have no one of any defensive nous whatsoever and no one with enough experience to be able to debate and assist Cook with in-game decision making. Every time I looked down at him yesterday he was alone, looking on - he seemingly has no one to bounce off or confide in.

This isn’t an excuse as he seemingly picked this team but I think Ashton needs to pull rank now and insist something needs to give.

I've no idea whether our coaching staff are broadly functional right now or not, but I don't think it's something Ashton can realistically pull rank on. It's beyond his purview really.

We hire a first team manager as the expert on how to set up the team on match day, how to prepare the team during the week and how to manage and motivate the players. That includes putting together the first team coaching staff. Senior management can ask questions, offer resources and maybe query stuff that doesn't seem to be working, but I don't think you can do much more than that.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:52 - Sep 12 with 884 viewsRyorry

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:41 - Sep 12 by chrismakin

I think PC's waiting to get a couple wins on the board before bringing in an Assistant.

Do it now, and we start winning, PC's lost all managerial credit other than his new assistant making the difference.

Or alternatively, "kudos to him, he had both the brain & the bottle to recognise he needed some assistance with the defensive side of things after improving our attack, and look how that turned things round to send us flying up the table*" ...

* 🤞🏼

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:53 - Sep 12 with 882 viewsbraveblue

Yes
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:02 - Sep 12 with 866 viewsmkbobby

It’s all ok people saying get rid of cook that’s their opinion especially if your a season ticket holder or pay regularly to attend but think of this ! a lot of these players came here because of this manager and his way of playing which is at least entertaining , the defensive side to the game is apparent to everyone wether you’ve played the game yourself or not but conceding does usually come down to mistakes or lapses of concentration of which can be worked on , my gripe is that the 2 central midfielders are too alike and not dynamic enough ie not dropping to collect the ball and drive us forward , evans especially does not look like he can turn with the ball and take us forward which is what I would expect a competent player to do ( watch morsy on Tuesday night do this ) the right back position is another area of problem KVY was so far off his man whilst ball watching yesterday the donancien managed to get too close and got done by the runner for me Burns has to play there in 3 at the back as a wingback
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:04 - Sep 12 with 858 viewspointofblue

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:02 - Sep 12 by mkbobby

It’s all ok people saying get rid of cook that’s their opinion especially if your a season ticket holder or pay regularly to attend but think of this ! a lot of these players came here because of this manager and his way of playing which is at least entertaining , the defensive side to the game is apparent to everyone wether you’ve played the game yourself or not but conceding does usually come down to mistakes or lapses of concentration of which can be worked on , my gripe is that the 2 central midfielders are too alike and not dynamic enough ie not dropping to collect the ball and drive us forward , evans especially does not look like he can turn with the ball and take us forward which is what I would expect a competent player to do ( watch morsy on Tuesday night do this ) the right back position is another area of problem KVY was so far off his man whilst ball watching yesterday the donancien managed to get too close and got done by the runner for me Burns has to play there in 3 at the back as a wingback

The issue is the problem with central midfield has been obvious since the second half at Cheltenham. I can understand why Cook may have written that off and tried again v MK Dons but the same thing happened. He repeated the approach against Wimbledon and lo and behold... by yesterday he should have realised he needed to try something different.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I think you HAVE to, but the time to settle the team and system is running out on 12:08 - Sep 12 with 852 viewsunstableblue

He’s assembled on paper a good squad, and going forward I think we’re an exciting prospect. I am very impressed with Burns and Bonne. I think Edwards can be special. Add in Celina and also Piggot and it’s some of the best attacking pedigree we’ve had in seasons.

I actually also like Fraser, I get the concerns. I was ready to throw Cook under a bus about Aluko, but impressed me yesterday.

The issue is that Evans and Harper have not settled after early promise…. The centre backs having yet formed a partnership, and KVY form is intermittent.

Add to that some serious issues with defensive shape, and an ability to settle the team into a more rigid structure after we have scored. This is Cooks main issue. Can he resolve it?!?!

Bar Morsy we should start to see a settled selection over the West Ham, Lincoln and Sheff Weds games…

I’m not convinced cook can fix the issues and settle new players quick enough against these better league sides.

But WE MUST WIN to build confidence

To your question- Doncaster is a MUST win game, period, no more excuses, we then have some matches where we could build from that.

Lincoln and Sheff Weds just need to show significant improvement over the debacle of yesterday defensively. And hopefully a couple of points.

But a loss to Donny, then Cook probably should go.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:34 - Sep 12 with 817 viewsN2_Blue

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:53 - Sep 12 by bluelagos

That's pretty much my position. Just maybe I'd be a bit more patient in so far as expecting a team of strangers to gel.

We have a new central midfielder to come. The defense can only improve.

And it does have to improve - but we have half of it looking promising (going forward) - so it's far from gameover imho.

But is this even true? Are we looking that promising going forward considering how open we are in the middle of the park. I don’t think we really are. Sure better than recent seasons but it’s still not exactly great or we’re making dozens of chances.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:37 - Sep 12 with 810 viewspointofblue

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 12:34 - Sep 12 by N2_Blue

But is this even true? Are we looking that promising going forward considering how open we are in the middle of the park. I don’t think we really are. Sure better than recent seasons but it’s still not exactly great or we’re making dozens of chances.

We’re 12th on xG - 1.05 goals per game. We’re 14th in terms of goals conceded, we should only be letting in one goal a game. So we’re finishing more chances than our xG suggests but we’re conceding more than we should too. If we were matching our xG we’d be about 13th right now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:07 - Sep 12 with 707 viewsphillev231069

Does Paul Cook suddenly think he is of such a quality that he thinks he doesn't need an assistant manager should probably be the question asked. On current results obviously he isn't, Southgate in charge of our national squad has one..... That says it all.
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:40 - Sep 18 with 590 viewsMaySixth

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:26 - Sep 19 with 518 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:40 - Sep 18 by MaySixth

Some fickle feckers in here.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 09:12 - Sep 19 with 502 viewsOldboy

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:40 - Sep 18 by MaySixth

Not sure there were that many saying he should go, just expecting a better start. I said 3 wins from the next 5. Well that is 1 from 1, so let's keep that going. Still think he needs an experienced assistant to help with the workload.
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:45 - Sep 19 with 461 viewsLeaky

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 07:55 - Sep 12 by phillev231069

I hope he proves me wrong but I'm done! To much of the same thing week in week out costing us games and two full weeks with the players and we conceded more goals than any other game this season. Poor management and poor coaching.

He did loose his dad so obviously perhaps his mind wasn't 100% focused
Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:55 - Sep 19 with 453 viewsjayessess

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:26 - Sep 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Some fickle feckers in here.

My standing position has been that Cook gets as long as possible, but there was a line at which keeping him wouldn't be tenable. Winless in Autumn and September would've been pretty close to that line (4 points was my bare minimum for Sep, 7 my prediction), but thankfully that's not transpired.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is anyone on here still with me that we should stick with Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:14 - Sep 29 with 327 viewsMaySixth

Morning.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024