Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
COOK IN! 08:17 - Sep 15 with 5881 viewsblueysbackside

Just what was everyone expecting?

I thought we were all on board with the new plan at the start of the season. You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS.

Just how long did we think it would take for everything to come together on the pitch?

We’ve played just a handful of games. These players — and the boss — need time. We’ve played what’s arguably our starting back five just once this season. Our stellar signings, Morsy and Celina, have not yet featured together on the pitch — and won’t for a while. Morsy has, of course, played just once.

What do you expect when there are no partnerships formed on the pitch? These take time with SO many changes. We are not integrating one or two players into this team, but 19. NINETEEN.

Write off this season, forget it. We’re not going up. Next season, perhaps. We’ve turned into the pot noodle brigade, demanding instant gratification.

Some fans in here are even giving Cook until the end of this month if he doesn’t win a League game. Utter madness.

On the first day of this season, we drew 2-2 with Morecambe. That team featured just one player - KVY - who started the last game of the previous season.

A number of peeps in here have pointed to Morecambe as another team who have made numerous changes. As I keep pointing out, what they’ve have done isn’t to the same scale.

They had five players who started that game who also started their play-off final win of last season, (with other familiar faces on the bench).

So what am I getting at?

Well, in a nutshell, I believe Cook needs at least until Xmas before we start contemplating another new manager.

If you look at our current squad, Kayden Jackson is our top appearance maker in the League (95), followed by Woolfie (64), Norwood (58) and Holy (57), none of whom are regular starters now.

So I’d argue most our players wouldn’t know their way into town, let alone the attributes of the player in front of them on the pitch.

I feel sorry for Cook. I think we’ve turned into a version of Watford in League One, with a group of players assembled with little input from the boss.

And to even try to see what 19 players can do in a game.....he hasn't got another pre-season. It's a thankless task

But do you really think that any manager at this level would have turned us into world beaters by now? Wait, be patient.

COOK IN! on 14:40 - Sep 15 with 973 viewsthecheek

We shouldn't forget that we could still have got in the play-offs when Cook took over last season but he got even less out of the previous group of players than Lambert.

Clearly with a new group it wouldn't be realistic to expect us to be walking away with the league but given the standard of the opposition results have been completely unacceptable.

I'd give him a couple more games and if no sign of improvement start looking elsewhere...
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 14:42]
COOK IN! on 15:08 - Sep 15 with 941 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

COOK IN! on 10:08 - Sep 15 by timothyeo

It's really quite depressing that our OWN fans are writing off promotion already, as an unrealistic ambition for Ipswich Town in the third tier.

I was arguing with someone about it not long ago, that Flashing Smile or something guy, that there were fans who had such low expectations. This is yet another of those coming out of the woodwork.

I expected with the large changeover in players to see some disjointed moments in games etc. That doesn't excuse the absolutely diabolical performance of Cook from when he first came in.

That some put him on a pedestal immediately and their ego's won't let them reign that in is hardly the rest of the clubs supporters fault.

We just lost against a bunch of kids, 80% of whom won't even have a professional football career.

"Stalker? I've rarely acknowledged your existence. You're not that important fella."

That's the second time in as many days you've mentioned me in threads I wasn't involved in, whilst also posting the above quote.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

COOK IN! on 17:44 - Sep 15 with 880 viewsjas0999

Unreasonable to win a game or two? Not in my view. We played Newport and a bunch of kids.at home. To lose both is unacceptable.
COOK IN! on 17:50 - Sep 15 with 876 viewsTheBoyBlue

Agree that Cook needs more time, but not much of the rest of it I'm afraid.

Write off this season? This club, this squad, no matter how much bedding in it needs should be aiming for the play-offs AT LEAST. Indeed, those players coming to join us from the Championship have been insistent that L1 is for one season only.

Unprecedented? Hardly. As others have pointed out, even just this season, Morecombe have got 19 new players in, as well as changing manager and being at a higher level the they've ever been, yet seemed to have coped. Haggling over exactly how many players from last season teams like Wigan have started with in their games doesn't disguise that they also largely have a squad of strangers, as well as a manager with far less managerial experience than Cook, yet they've also coped just fine.

We're also nothing like Watford (sadly in many ways as they have been very successful with the model you so deride). Phil has regularly said that Cook is fully involved in the players coming, Cook himself has too and many of the players have come in because Cook has worked with them successfully in the past. This is very much Paul Cook's side.

However, getting rid of Cook would be counterproductive right now. Players are bedding in (although not using last night's game to help do that largely negates that reasoning) and it is unsurprising that we have started slowly. We were warned about that. And Bolton aside (which was disgraceful), we have been unlucky not to have a win or two under belts in the league and I feel you can see where things have been coming together. Needs to happen faster though!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

COOK IN! on 19:04 - Sep 15 with 837 viewsistanblue

''You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS.''

Utter bullsh*t. Lincoln made 20 signings last season (with almost as many outgoings) yet made a flying start to the season and were in the play-off picture for the entire season pretty much. Wigan this season have already made 17 signings and are 2nd. How do you explain away these examples? Why are Ipswich the only team that 'need time to gel'? You're talking out your arse mate.
COOK IN! on 19:09 - Sep 15 with 835 viewsOldboy

I'm still on board, just wondering which way the life boats are?
COOK IN! on 19:23 - Sep 15 with 823 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 19:04 - Sep 15 by istanblue

''You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS.''

Utter bullsh*t. Lincoln made 20 signings last season (with almost as many outgoings) yet made a flying start to the season and were in the play-off picture for the entire season pretty much. Wigan this season have already made 17 signings and are 2nd. How do you explain away these examples? Why are Ipswich the only team that 'need time to gel'? You're talking out your arse mate.

So you can’t name another team who had one player in their starting XI who played the last game of the previous season. That’s fine. Like I said, unprecedented. But, you know, whatever suits your narrative.
COOK IN! on 19:31 - Sep 15 with 800 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 19:23 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

So you can’t name another team who had one player in their starting XI who played the last game of the previous season. That’s fine. Like I said, unprecedented. But, you know, whatever suits your narrative.

We started with Woolfenden, Nsiala, and KVY against Morecambe. They had a similar number of debutants to us. We had players from last season's squad on the bench, a couple of whom came on. Not really unprecedented.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

COOK IN! on 19:31 - Sep 15 with 800 viewswkj

My own interjection and the one thing that makes it hard to continue to have faith in Cook. We do not show improvement game on game. Our openener was one of the better performance so far, and Bolton being one of the worst.

Ok, so winning every game is unrealistic, but some evidence of improvement is long overdue. If he pulls it off, great - but I wont shed a tear if he's canned before the next game either.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

COOK IN! on 19:33 - Sep 15 with 796 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 19:31 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

We started with Woolfenden, Nsiala, and KVY against Morecambe. They had a similar number of debutants to us. We had players from last season's squad on the bench, a couple of whom came on. Not really unprecedented.

Did that trio start the last game of last season? Yes or no
COOK IN! on 19:40 - Sep 15 with 775 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 19:31 - Sep 15 by wkj

My own interjection and the one thing that makes it hard to continue to have faith in Cook. We do not show improvement game on game. Our openener was one of the better performance so far, and Bolton being one of the worst.

Ok, so winning every game is unrealistic, but some evidence of improvement is long overdue. If he pulls it off, great - but I wont shed a tear if he's canned before the next game either.

Yep, fair enough.... but would you not give him time now to see how we look post transfer window and then decide whether he’s the man to take us forward.
COOK IN! on 19:43 - Sep 15 with 771 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 19:33 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

Did that trio start the last game of last season? Yes or no

Whether or not they started that specific game doesn't really matter much, does it? The point you're trying to make is that virtually none of the side had played together before and that's not the case. That a couple of the players that started the first game of this season were injured for the final game of last season is irrelevant.

COOK IN! on 19:53 - Sep 15 with 746 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 19:43 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Whether or not they started that specific game doesn't really matter much, does it? The point you're trying to make is that virtually none of the side had played together before and that's not the case. That a couple of the players that started the first game of this season were injured for the final game of last season is irrelevant.

Ha ha ha. Mate, you won’t get kicked out of the forum for admitting you are wrong. I’ll be the first to take back what I said about unprecedented if your Lincoln squad stat is correct. Blimey!
COOK IN! on 19:59 - Sep 15 with 731 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 19:53 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

Ha ha ha. Mate, you won’t get kicked out of the forum for admitting you are wrong. I’ll be the first to take back what I said about unprecedented if your Lincoln squad stat is correct. Blimey!

Jesus wept, did get dropped on the head as a baby?

COOK IN! on 20:07 - Sep 15 with 717 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 19:59 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Jesus wept, did get dropped on the head as a baby?

Oh deary deary me. Donacien replaced Toto after 38 minutes so that’s 3 players who were here last season playing together (Norwood came on later). So YES the majority of the team had NOT played together. Fast forward to the Bolton game....we had an ENTIRE new back five? And Aluko wasn’t in that first game. Are you trying to be awkward on purpose,
COOK IN! on 20:09 - Sep 15 with 706 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 20:07 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

Oh deary deary me. Donacien replaced Toto after 38 minutes so that’s 3 players who were here last season playing together (Norwood came on later). So YES the majority of the team had NOT played together. Fast forward to the Bolton game....we had an ENTIRE new back five? And Aluko wasn’t in that first game. Are you trying to be awkward on purpose,

No. I along with others are just pointing out that you're talking guff.

COOK IN! on 20:12 - Sep 15 with 699 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 20:09 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Okay, bed time now. Go play with your etch a sketch for a while, eh?
COOK IN! on 20:14 - Sep 15 with 698 viewsMullet

Absolute b0llocks.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

COOK IN! on 20:15 - Sep 15 with 696 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 20:14 - Sep 15 by Mullet

Absolute b0llocks.

Yeah, this one seems a bit challenged.

COOK IN! on 20:17 - Sep 15 with 684 viewschrismakin

I've been the most Pro PC poster for a while.

And whilst there is hope I wasn't ever wrong... it is at the moment an absolute sht show at the club.

The games and performances have got worse not better.
The relationships are not forming
The gaps are not being filled behind the fullbacks

It's just absolute sht.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

COOK IN! on 20:22 - Sep 15 with 681 viewsunstableblue

COOK IN! on 20:15 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Yeah, this one seems a bit challenged.

We’ve talked about this Herbie!!!

The original post does have merit…. And a few flaws

Embrace the positive

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

COOK IN! on 20:22 - Sep 15 with 681 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 20:17 - Sep 15 by chrismakin

I've been the most Pro PC poster for a while.

And whilst there is hope I wasn't ever wrong... it is at the moment an absolute sht show at the club.

The games and performances have got worse not better.
The relationships are not forming
The gaps are not being filled behind the fullbacks

It's just absolute sht.

I agree. I just feel Cook needs time. It’s now post transfer window. Let’s see what happens.
COOK IN! on 20:23 - Sep 15 with 671 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 20:14 - Sep 15 by Mullet

Absolute b0llocks.

Post of the day.
COOK IN! on 23:11 - Sep 15 with 613 viewsKeaneish

I’m very pro-Cook as a lot of my posts have shown but I have major concerns over our defending. Sides who ship two goals a game go down, not up. The draw against Wimbledon felt like a low ebb but it’s OK, the international break is here. Shipping 5 at home which is desperate in any league could we remedied as we have a midweek game against an under-21s side…

The disappointments are growing each week. I’m beginning to think this club has a hex on it. Turn it around PC for fook sake.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

COOK IN! Fao Herbivore on 10:27 - Sep 19 with 470 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 20:09 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

I refer you to your ‘who got mocked for saying Cook needed time’ post below. Case dismissed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024