Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
May have already been mentioned but... 13:39 - Sep 29 with 1065 viewsEwan_Oozami

I thought Hladky played well last night, even though he didn't have much to do - stayed near the edge of his box a lot to play sweeper-keeper (always easier to do when your team is 10-15 yards further up the pitch than usual), claimed crosses well, and was very vocal in claiming the ball when caught in a potential keeper/defender-blunder situation - obviously has done a lot of work on the training ground with the keeper coach and defence.

If we can stop the conceding of daft goals, which we might have just cracked, then the fact we're scoring reasonably well should generate more wins...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:41 - Sep 29 with 1037 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He did. I wasn't quite so keen on him taking on the attacker which he did (successfully) a couple of times, though. Hopefully it was just the camera angle and he was actually never at any risk but it is far too high risk a strategy for a keeper to do that unless he has no real choice.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:41 - Sep 29 with 1027 viewsStu_Magoo

That Cruyff-type turn he did nearly made me empty my bowels onto the floor of the North Stand.

Does anyone know if the Salford fans considered him to be particularly eccentric? The man's a loon!
May have already been mentioned but... on 13:46 - Sep 29 with 987 viewsblueislander

I am not blaming him, because it was under orders as our Centre back are not great footballers, but he kicked more long balls than I would like. The kicks did go in the general direction of Bonne, but he failed to win any headers.Again that is not a criticism,because that is not Bonne’s forte.
May have already been mentioned but... on 13:49 - Sep 29 with 975 viewsFixed_It

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:46 - Sep 29 by blueislander

I am not blaming him, because it was under orders as our Centre back are not great footballers, but he kicked more long balls than I would like. The kicks did go in the general direction of Bonne, but he failed to win any headers.Again that is not a criticism,because that is not Bonne’s forte.

Bonne is actually really good at winning those headers - think he won just about all of them v Lincoln

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:56 - Sep 29 with 944 viewsblueislander

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:49 - Sep 29 by Fixed_It

Bonne is actually really good at winning those headers - think he won just about all of them v Lincoln

Certainly not the case last night. I didn’t see the Lincoln match but will take your word for it.
May have already been mentioned but... on 14:18 - Sep 29 with 887 viewschrismakin

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:46 - Sep 29 by blueislander

We picked up a lot of 2nd balls from those kicks though and that's key. Rarely will strikers win all headers from long kicks, it's more to get us up the pitch to pick on the 2nd balls that come from a defensive clearence.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:26 - Sep 29 with 849 viewsBluespeed225

And he sprung a quick attack with a throw, which I've been aching to see for years, Peter Schmeichel being the master from way back. Why not launch it long and quick, we have pace up front.
May have already been mentioned but... on 14:30 - Sep 29 with 831 viewsHerbivore

May have already been mentioned but... on 13:56 - Sep 29 by blueislander

Certainly not the case last night. I didn’t see the Lincoln match but will take your word for it.

He won a fair few last night, problem is as he's the lone striker there's often nobody running off him when he does win them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:34 - Sep 29 with 814 viewsSteve_M

Yes, looked like a game out (and it was a good one for a keeper to miss) had given him a little bit of space to sort himself out mentally. He obviously wasn't really tested but his all round game is decent, certainly looking for a quick ball if it was available and hs kicking is a big upgrade on Holy's.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:37 - Sep 29 with 795 viewsSomethingBlue

Looked composed and confident — rough start for him and it might have buried some new keepers, he's probably had that bit of luck with Walton getting injured and has responded very well. Good on the ball and distribution is much better than we're used to seeing. Interesting to see how things pan out once Walton is fit.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:41 - Sep 29 with 768 viewsDubtractor

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:18 - Sep 29 by chrismakin

We picked up a lot of 2nd balls from those kicks though and that's key. Rarely will strikers win all headers from long kicks, it's more to get us up the pitch to pick on the 2nd balls that come from a defensive clearence.

Exactly this.

Even if he doesn't win the header he makes it very difficult for the defender every time.

We all want to see liquid passing football for 90 minutes, but this is league 1 and sometimes a bit of percentage football is the right approach.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:48 - Sep 29 with 739 viewschrismakin

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:41 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

Exactly this.

Even if he doesn't win the header he makes it very difficult for the defender every time.

We all want to see liquid passing football for 90 minutes, but this is league 1 and sometimes a bit of percentage football is the right approach.

I don't want to see my defenders in league being given the ball to much tbh, occasionally yes, but I want us up the pitch and getting at them, taking away the risk of mistakes our end. We saw last night a couple of times we went short and got into slight trouble and on Sat did the same. I really hate the way modern football has this ball playing from the back stuff going on, I watch games on TV with my son saying everytime, wait for the mistake and 8 out of 10 times, they'll be one that leads to a shot at least for the oppo from a defensive mistake on the ball.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

May have already been mentioned but... on 16:12 - Sep 29 with 569 viewsblueislander

May have already been mentioned but... on 14:26 - Sep 29 by Bluespeed225

And he sprung a quick attack with a throw, which I've been aching to see for years, Peter Schmeichel being the master from way back. Why not launch it long and quick, we have pace up front.

Very much so. We have enough outfield players confident enough to receive a ball from the keeper, and move it quickly.

Roy Bailey had a fantastic overarm throw and used it to great effect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024