Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Listen' 11:20 - Oct 4 with 1481 viewsSharkey

Modern English language question.

Is it only footballers and other 'sports people' doing interviews, or can other people begin sentences with 'listen' (or 'look' for that matter) and it not be seen as confrontational?

By which I mean that until a few years ago people would only start with 'listen' if they wanted to show they were irritated. e.g 'Listen, get that car back to me by tomorrow or I'm taking my business elsewhere from now on', or 'Listen here, young man, how many times have I told you...' etc

What I'm asking is (and it's a genuine question), do normal people answer civil questions with 'Listen,...'. e.g. 'Did you have a good day out in London?' 'Listen, everyone had a great time.'

Or is it something footballers and football managers have learned from each other. (A bit like always referring to 'this football club' when 'this club' would do for the rest of us.)

[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 11:25]
'Listen' on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 1458 viewsFixed_It

One more thing to blame Roy Keane for.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

'Listen' on 11:33 - Oct 4 with 1419 viewsKeno

'Listen' on 11:22 - Oct 4 by Fixed_It

One more thing to blame Roy Keane for.

Let me edit that for you

So, Listen this is one more thing to blame Roy Keane for

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

'Listen' on 11:37 - Oct 4 with 1400 viewsDarth_Koont

Look, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

By the way, isn’t “Look” the politician’s “Listen”? And always before they tell a whopper?

Pronouns: He/Him

'Listen' on 13:17 - Oct 4 with 1297 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

'Listen' on 13:20 - Oct 4 with 1291 viewsPlums

Andrew Strauss was the best exponent of ‘look’. Every sentence, the man was as consistent off the pitch as he was on it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

'Listen' on 14:22 - Oct 4 with 1239 viewsartsbossbeard

'Listen' on 11:37 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

Look, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

By the way, isn’t “Look” the politician’s “Listen”? And always before they tell a whopper?

"I think I speak for the whole nation here when I say...."

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

'Listen' on 19:12 - Oct 4 with 1138 viewsMelford

'Listen' on 13:20 - Oct 4 by Plums

Andrew Strauss was the best exponent of ‘look’. Every sentence, the man was as consistent off the pitch as he was on it.

Most Aussie cricketers start every interview answer with 'yeah look' or 'yeah look mate'

Have a post match drinking game during the post-match interviews this winter every time they beat us. Taking a shot for every 'yeah look' and you won't remember the innings defeat we just suffered because you will be spannered in half an hour.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 19:16]

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

'Listen' on 19:15 - Oct 4 with 1132 viewsBlueandTruesince82

'Listen' on 19:12 - Oct 4 by Melford

Most Aussie cricketers start every interview answer with 'yeah look' or 'yeah look mate'

Have a post match drinking game during the post-match interviews this winter every time they beat us. Taking a shot for every 'yeah look' and you won't remember the innings defeat we just suffered because you will be spannered in half an hour.

Or a classic "yeah, no"

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Login to get fewer ads

'Listen' on 19:26 - Oct 4 with 1119 viewsronnyd

Martin Keown and Jermaine Jenas are biggest culprits on MOTD.
'Listen' on 19:39 - Oct 4 with 1104 viewsNBVJohn

'Listen' on 19:15 - Oct 4 by BlueandTruesince82

Or a classic "yeah, no"

Beginning your answer with ‘yeah, no’ winds me up almost as much as preceding a response with ‘what it is’

‘’Why were you not able to meet your commitment of getting my car back to me this morning?’’

‘’What it is, is that we couldn’t get the part we needed’’.

Follow that up with ‘’I can only apologise’’ which generally translates as ‘F@&k you, I am not prepared to help’’ and I am guaranteed to be seething for the rest of the day.
'Listen' on 19:44 - Oct 4 with 1093 viewsZXBlue

Its like Aussies and "look".

Sounds agressive.
'Listen' on 19:56 - Oct 4 with 1080 viewsfabian_illness

'Listen' on 19:12 - Oct 4 by Melford

My mate played that game with Mick Mills ‘You Know’ on BBC Suffolk.
Had to have his stomach pumped.
'Listen' on 20:30 - Oct 4 with 1036 viewsSeablu

'Listen' on 19:15 - Oct 4 by BlueandTruesince82

Or a classic "yeah, no"

Harry Kane and Gareth Bale do this with irritating regularity.
People who answer a question with ‘So..’ also deserve to be taken outside and shot.
Don’t get me started on ‘vocal fry’
'Listen' on 20:55 - Oct 4 with 1000 viewsfabian_illness

Adding ‘super’ to give emphasis, is another annoying one.
'Listen' on 21:33 - Oct 4 with 972 viewsBlueandTruesince82

'Listen' on 20:55 - Oct 4 by fabian_illness

Yeah no, listen, it was like, you know, super awkward, look, I mean, like really super awkward.

Add an And whatnot to the end of that I think that's the worst sentence it could be possible to say
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 21:49]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

'Listen' on 21:36 - Oct 4 with 965 viewsPlums

'Listen' on 20:55 - Oct 4 by fabian_illness

As in ‘Super Blues’?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

'Listen' on 22:09 - Oct 4 with 932 viewsfabian_illness

'Listen' on 21:36 - Oct 4 by Plums

As in ‘Super Blues’?

In this instance, it would be the super Super Blues.
'Listen' on 22:22 - Oct 4 with 918 viewsWeWereZombies

Perhaps their music collections are centred on jazz rock from the late 1960s:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

'Listen' on 22:22 - Oct 4 with 918 viewsPlums

'Listen' on 22:09 - Oct 4 by fabian_illness

In this instance, it would be the super Super Blues.

Super

'Listen' on 09:52 - Oct 5 with 827 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It is just a speech tic. For a while, according to pundits, anything that happened on a football pitch was "unbelievable".

Politicians have several of them. No politician can say to their interviewer, "You're right"; it is always "You're absolutely right". And for years the politicians' adverb of choice has been "incredibly".

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

'Listen' on 10:04 - Oct 5 with 809 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm still wondering if a sick joke is a good one or a bad one

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

'Listen' on 11:23 - Oct 5 with 765 viewsBluebell

'Listen' on 19:56 - Oct 4 by fabian_illness

My mate played that game with Mick Mills ‘You Know’ on BBC Suffolk.
Had to have his stomach pumped.

Listen, that is something I always do when listening to Mick Mills.

When I get to 50 I start screaming!

You know.
'Listen' on 11:54 - Oct 5 with 729 viewsSharkey

'Listen' on 09:52 - Oct 5 by Tangledupin_Blue

It is just a speech tic. For a while, according to pundits, anything that happened on a football pitch was "unbelievable".

Politicians have several of them. No politician can say to their interviewer, "You're right"; it is always "You're absolutely right". And for years the politicians' adverb of choice has been "incredibly".

I get that ( it’s a speech tic). I don’t live in UK and my question is really whether it has spread from sports people (being interviewed) to the rest of the populace? I mean do normal people in normal conversations start their answers with ‘listen‘( or ‘look’)? A few years ago that might have been considered rude enough to get you thumped !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024