Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes 22:02 - Oct 12 with 4710 viewsSwansea_Blue

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/flynn-downes-grimesy-and-i-complement-each-othe

In case anyone was interested in how he's getting on. I wouldn't read too much into his passing completion rate being the highest in the Championship though. He's played VERY conservatively from what I've seen. Most of those passes a 3 yarders to Matt Grimes.

I've seen a few of his performances since he came down here and think he's settled OK, but not as strong as that piece says. It's noticeable how he looks like someone with a lot to learn still in their team (which isn't a particularly good one by Championship standards) whereas with us he could look like a standout player. To me that's a damning indictment on the rest of our team over the last couple of years, rather than saying anything too much about his quality.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Flynn Downes on 22:10 - Oct 12 with 4625 viewsitfcjoe

I am in a EFL chat thing and the Swansea fans in there can’t speak more highly of him:

This was after Hudds game:

Massive 3 points for us, always good to keep a clean sheet as well, that’s 3 in a row at home. Downes was absolutley brilliant in the middle of the park, good on the ball & broke up play really well. Huddersfield much better in the 2nd half, really like Colwill & O’Brien. Laird, Manning, Paterson & Piroe all doing well for us. Big 3 points before a tough trip to Fulham midweek. Good result for our mates from the capital as well 🦢

Needed that big time. Downes&Laird best players on the pitch. Downes looking a very very smart bit of business, really surprised at his athleticism, far superior in that regard to Grimes Smith or Fulton

He’s not put a foot wrong for us, but that was by far his best game this season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes on 22:33 - Oct 12 with 4459 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Flynn Downes on 22:10 - Oct 12 by itfcjoe

I am in a EFL chat thing and the Swansea fans in there can’t speak more highly of him:

Massive 3 points for us, always good to keep a clean sheet as well, that’s 3 in a row at home. Downes was absolutley brilliant in the middle of the park, good on the ball & broke up play really well. Huddersfield much better in the 2nd half, really like Colwill & O’Brien. Laird, Manning, Paterson & Piroe all doing well for us. Big 3 points before a tough trip to Fulham midweek. Good result for our mates from the capital as well 🦢

Needed that big time. Downes&Laird best players on the pitch. Downes looking a very very smart bit of business, really surprised at his athleticism, far superior in that regard to Grimes Smith or Fulton

Similarly I heard from a contact just this last week how good he’s been for them.
Flynn Downes on 00:33 - Oct 13 with 4161 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, they’ve really taken to him. I’m not having a go at him, but I don’t see what he’s done to earn the praise. He’s been exceptionally quiet by his standards. He’s obviously been told to rigidly sit and keep things very simple. Which he’s done. But he’s not really putting himself about and making tackles, not getting forward, not producing any incisive passes. His sole role seems to be to free up Matt Grimes. That’s it. Given what we saw of him in the Championship, I think he could do a lot more. It just struck me as strange that he’s looking quite different down here.

Maybe they’ve got clear roles and a structure; that’s why I’m confused!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Flynn Downes on 09:19 - Oct 13 with 3636 viewsitfcjoe

Flynn Downes on 00:33 - Oct 13 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, they’ve really taken to him. I’m not having a go at him, but I don’t see what he’s done to earn the praise. He’s been exceptionally quiet by his standards. He’s obviously been told to rigidly sit and keep things very simple. Which he’s done. But he’s not really putting himself about and making tackles, not getting forward, not producing any incisive passes. His sole role seems to be to free up Matt Grimes. That’s it. Given what we saw of him in the Championship, I think he could do a lot more. It just struck me as strange that he’s looking quite different down here.

I think the role he's playing there always suited him more - there isn't really room for players to get up and down unless they are very good creators or can score a few goals which Downes has never done even as a youth player.

WHen he was in England squads he was very much a sitter, and being that rather than all things to all people should allow him to excel - you don't get many box to box midfielders these days in the modern shapes that teams play. Even here Morsy and Evans do very little going forwards as are there to build a base

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes on 09:51 - Oct 13 with 3481 viewsElderGrizzly

I think we always thought he was ‘limited’, but in a good way.

Harness that ability in the right position with the right coaching he would do well. He just was never and will never be a box to box, creative or goal scoring midfielder.

We asked him to do too much and that can look easier in a poor team in a poor league.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 10:08]
Flynn Downes on 10:50 - Oct 13 with 3275 viewsGarv

'It's noticeable how he looks like someone with a lot to learn still in their team (which isn't a particularly good one by Championship standards) whereas with us he could look like a standout player.'

I think we'd all forgotten what good footballers looked like, hadn't we?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Flynn Downes on 11:28 - Oct 13 with 3170 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Isn't that kind of what Morsy is doing for us? If you watched us and didn't have the context of what had gone before you'd think he was neat and tidy but not spectacular and good at breaking up play in the middle.

If you'd watched us before you'd think he was bringing some much needed stability to a shakey side. (apart from Shrewsbury's goal obvs).

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Flynn Downes on 11:31 - Oct 13 with 3147 viewsN2_Blue

He lost his way badly here, for a multitude or reasons and his final performances for us were quite underwhelming.
However when he first came through for us he looked exceptional and clearly is a very talented player.
It may take him a bit of time but he will excel there I'm sure after a slow start. They've got a very good player.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes on 12:25 - Oct 13 with 2997 viewsKieran_Knows

Good stuff. Whilst a real shame to lose him, a move at that time was best for all parties. Glad its working out for him, because he was clearly too good to be playing League 1 football.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Flynn Downes on 12:25 - Oct 13 with 2997 viewsunstableblue

I always thought Downes was the best player in last season's weak squad, one of the main reasons being that he could grab a game, get stuck in, raise the energy of the team and crowd. But this was sometimes intermittent, and despite being the best potential player last season he did not perform following the failed move to Palace, and he did not then get re-energised under Cook. There were injuries.

He did break forward a little more with us at times, but I liked him when he was running round, breaking up play, winning the ball, disrupting

But the squad this year is a completely different level. The problem is that its not consistently performing and turning up with a enough drive and energy.

Morsy is streets ahead of Downes, and El Miz is beginning to look to have attributes beyond Downes.

So whilst I wish Downes well, we've replaced better, and now we need to make it click, and go on a run.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Flynn Downes on 17:47 - Oct 13 with 2621 viewsDJR

Flynn Downes on 12:25 - Oct 13 by unstableblue

I always thought Downes was the best player in last season's weak squad, one of the main reasons being that he could grab a game, get stuck in, raise the energy of the team and crowd. But this was sometimes intermittent, and despite being the best potential player last season he did not perform following the failed move to Palace, and he did not then get re-energised under Cook. There were injuries.

He did break forward a little more with us at times, but I liked him when he was running round, breaking up play, winning the ball, disrupting

But the squad this year is a completely different level. The problem is that its not consistently performing and turning up with a enough drive and energy.

Morsy is streets ahead of Downes, and El Miz is beginning to look to have attributes beyond Downes.

So whilst I wish Downes well, we've replaced better, and now we need to make it click, and go on a run.

I'm not convinced Morsy is streets ahead of Downes. He was good in the Doncaster game, very poor in the Accrington game, and not that great in the Shrewsbury game. In addition, Morsy has probably reached his potential, whereas Downes is still young.
Flynn Downes on 19:26 - Oct 13 with 2507 viewsKeaneish

Didn’t he say in an interview shortly after his move that he was there to move the ball with purpose which he didn’t feel was happening at Ipswich, or words to that effect? No doubt his experience mirrored many of ours but your point would be slightly at odds with his earlier season statement.

To be honest, he probably just wanted a fresh start and who can blame him!?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Flynn Downes on 21:12 - Oct 13 with 2384 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

it's odd isn't it that after 18 signings we were incomplete until we got Sam Morsi. Flynn Downes is the same type of player, we could have kept Flynn and had him training throughout the summer pre-season with all the incomings, maybe we would have had a better start.

Poll: would you rather

Flynn Downes on 21:16 - Oct 13 with 2376 viewsKeaneish

Flynn Downes on 21:12 - Oct 13 by LegendofthePhoenix

it's odd isn't it that after 18 signings we were incomplete until we got Sam Morsi. Flynn Downes is the same type of player, we could have kept Flynn and had him training throughout the summer pre-season with all the incomings, maybe we would have had a better start.

He didn’t want to be here though and Cook’s philosophy was counter-intuitive to keeping him.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Flynn Downes on 21:35 - Oct 13 with 2337 viewsunstableblue

Flynn Downes on 17:47 - Oct 13 by DJR

I'm not convinced Morsy is streets ahead of Downes. He was good in the Doncaster game, very poor in the Accrington game, and not that great in the Shrewsbury game. In addition, Morsy has probably reached his potential, whereas Downes is still young.

You may have a point, I guess I was comparing Morsy against Doncaster, and probably Downes performance against a few seasons back at home, where he dominated and the best I can remember.

Morsy better by a distance on those displays.

I do agree Morsy has not kicked on, and a bit like Evans I don’t think they’re playing to a high standard consistently

Flynn Downes on 23:35 - Oct 13 with 2217 viewsBurns7

It shows we did have some Championship quality players, just a hobbyist owner who squandered our chance to both stay up with a pathetic transfer window in 2018-19 (Quaner ffs) and then watched a squad cripple itself out of the top two while cutting as much as possible in the background to keep us in this league for years to come.

Evans has blue blood on his hands as far as I am concerned, he can never be forgiven.
Flynn Downes on 07:58 - Oct 14 with 2062 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely it's more damning of the franchise? Getting rid of a homegrown player deemed worthy of the Prem just a short while ago and replaced by a job lot of mercenaries - most of whom are jobbing third division players seemed and seems a tad reckless.

Even if he's performing poorly in a poor championship team - that is a whole poor division above the franchise.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Flynn Downes on 08:01 - Oct 14 with 2052 viewsNorfolkBlue1

Doncaster aside, morsy has been poor
Flynn Downes on 08:11 - Oct 14 with 2042 viewsHerbivore

Flynn Downes on 21:35 - Oct 13 by unstableblue

You may have a point, I guess I was comparing Morsy against Doncaster, and probably Downes performance against a few seasons back at home, where he dominated and the best I can remember.

Morsy better by a distance on those displays.

I do agree Morsy has not kicked on, and a bit like Evans I don’t think they’re playing to a high standard consistently

Morsy was playing against the worst side in the third division who had been traveling for the best part of four days and turned up at PR with no discernable game plan. Using that as a means to say he's streets ahead of Downes, who is impressing week in and week out in the Championship according to Swansea fans, is a really bizarre take. I know we have to pretend that everything is definitely much better now even when it's not, but surely even that has its limits.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Flynn Downes on 08:17 - Oct 14 with 2031 viewsElderGrizzly

Flynn Downes on 08:01 - Oct 14 by NorfolkBlue1

Doncaster aside, morsy has been poor

He’s only played 4 games, 1 of which was Pizza Cup with a random team.
Flynn Downes on 08:48 - Oct 14 with 2002 viewsNorfolkBlue1

Flynn Downes on 08:17 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

He’s only played 4 games, 1 of which was Pizza Cup with a random team.

I know, I was replying to a comment saying we were not complete until morsy turned up.
Flynn Downes on 08:51 - Oct 14 with 1997 viewschicoazul

He wanted to leave.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Flynn Downes on 09:17 - Oct 14 with 1963 viewsHipsterectomy

He was on Sky with Swansea a few weeks back and the commentators joked about how needlessly aggressive he is. What are his odds on a red at the weekend?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Flynn Downes on 16:50 - Oct 14 with 1751 viewsunstableblue

Flynn Downes on 08:11 - Oct 14 by Herbivore

Morsy was playing against the worst side in the third division who had been traveling for the best part of four days and turned up at PR with no discernable game plan. Using that as a means to say he's streets ahead of Downes, who is impressing week in and week out in the Championship according to Swansea fans, is a really bizarre take. I know we have to pretend that everything is definitely much better now even when it's not, but surely even that has its limits.

Here he is...

There can be no question that Morsy is proven at the Championship level as a very effective holding midfielder, ask Wigan and Boro fans, is he currently more proven in his career than Downes, without doubt... will Downes eclipse his performances and career.. he may well do

I was more looking back to games in my memory when Downes really grabbed a game and it was 2 or 3 at best, Morsy I have only seen once liv and he was excellent..but agree Doncaster were lethergic

I don't think anyone is saying that everything is definitely much better, see Cook interview, where despite an excellent 23mins... Town just fell away again. And as I have stated Morsy, Evans, Fraser perhaps, Celina.. maybe Burgess are just not turning up effectively in game consistently

Two BIG games coming up... lets see where we are after the Pompey game.. then I think we'll know how 'better' or worse things are

Flynn Downes on 17:23 - Oct 14 with 1701 viewsblueconscience

Regardless of how well he is doing for Swansea, he still flattered to deceive here at Ipswich.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 17:26]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024