Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out 17:50 - Oct 17 with 5035 viewsSuperCoops

This is the funniest, most ridiculous and unlikely thing to happen in 2021.

Ain't happening.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:40 - Oct 18 with 695 viewswitchdoctor

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 17:57 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Give Big Mick this squad in this division and he'd tear it up.

dunno..have we got 5 centre backs on the books?..😂😂
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:42 - Oct 18 with 690 viewsjayessess

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:28 - Oct 18 by positivity

"first full season" started with 2 wins, 3 draws, 7 losses

So Robson had a relatively successful half season, which meant he had enough credit in the bank to survive a bad run. A bad run which was, in any case, in the top division, and therefore not anywhere near the level of underachievement we've had this season.

Not much of a precedent, is it?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:52 - Oct 18 with 659 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:33 - Oct 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Robson won more games than Cook in his first 31 games, despite inheriting a worse team in a better division

Cook has only marginally exceeded Burley’s win rate in his first 31 games too (by a whole 1 win). And that’s despite Burley inheriting a car crash rather than a promotion challenger, and then having a vastly superior budget to rebuild with the following season

however you spin it, both would have been jettisoned by now by the trigger-happy cook-out-right-now-ers (if any exist apart from blubbers!)

burley was tasked with keeping us up, then getting us back up first time, failed at both, but was given time

robson was backed with time after rebuilding a dysfunctional team, was given time despite a disastrous start to 70-71

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:58 - Oct 18 with 647 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:52 - Oct 18 by positivity

however you spin it, both would have been jettisoned by now by the trigger-happy cook-out-right-now-ers (if any exist apart from blubbers!)

burley was tasked with keeping us up, then getting us back up first time, failed at both, but was given time

robson was backed with time after rebuilding a dysfunctional team, was given time despite a disastrous start to 70-71

Burley wasn't tasked with keeping us up. When he came in we had 13 points from 21 games and to stay up he'd have needed to accumulate 36 points from the following 21 games - we were utterly awful.

Robson was, and did.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:59 - Oct 18 with 644 viewsjayessess

I don't agree. On the margins we've got a few fans who'd keep the manager under virtually all circumstances and a few who are permanently one defeat away from calling it.

The reasons to want Cook out at the present time are substantially greater than they were at any point in Robson or Burley's reigns.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:01 - Oct 18 with 640 viewsDMDC

Why would he come back here ?....Our fans treated him awfully. Those that did should feel ashamed of themselves,because it is clear he was the only thing holding this club together, look at the disaster since. Shameful.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:03 - Oct 18 with 639 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

As has been pointed out already in the thread, Robson’s efforts in keeping us up the season before would have earned him plenty of credit in the bank

In Burley’s case we sat mid table at this stage of his second season but just 6 points from the top and firmly in the mix - and again that was in context of him inheriting a shocking side, and without the kind of resources to rebuild that Cook has been given

So no, they wouldn’t
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 10:03]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:17 - Oct 18 with 610 viewsHerbivore

Almost all of that isn't really true. There was no expectation on Burley to keep us up from the position we were in when he took us over and expectations on us the following season were mainly to keep us clear of a double relegation given how abject we were. There's a reason Burley didn't experience any pressure, he wasn't failing to meet expectations. The only person spinning stuff here is you to be frank, you're spinning so much it's a wonder you've not made yourself dizzy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:21 - Oct 18 with 604 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:58 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Burley wasn't tasked with keeping us up. When he came in we had 13 points from 21 games and to stay up he'd have needed to accumulate 36 points from the following 21 games - we were utterly awful.

Robson was, and did.

Positivity's overall point is right though. The modern football fan is way more impatient than they were back then, and if TWTD had existed there'd be plenty of the usual suspects on here calling for both their heads.

Robson didn't even come to us with any credibility or links to the club, both of which would've been used as sticks to beat him with.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:23 - Oct 18 with 592 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone still pining for Mick has a short memory. Town fans were disappearing in their droves under Mick-ball; I was close to giving up myself. Yes it was great he kept us in the Champ initially, and he even scraped us into the play-offs once on the last day, but there's only so long you can put up with his style of football (unless you're someone who doesn't go to games and are happy just staring at the league table).

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:26 - Oct 18 with 583 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:21 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Positivity's overall point is right though. The modern football fan is way more impatient than they were back then, and if TWTD had existed there'd be plenty of the usual suspects on here calling for both their heads.

Robson didn't even come to us with any credibility or links to the club, both of which would've been used as sticks to beat him with.

Football has changed, and back then the manager ran the club from top to bottom so making a change was a much bigger deal.

But at no point did Robson ever fail in his primary objectives, he got himself a lot of credit in the bank straight away by keeping us up.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:29 - Oct 18 with 573 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:23 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Anyone still pining for Mick has a short memory. Town fans were disappearing in their droves under Mick-ball; I was close to giving up myself. Yes it was great he kept us in the Champ initially, and he even scraped us into the play-offs once on the last day, but there's only so long you can put up with his style of football (unless you're someone who doesn't go to games and are happy just staring at the league table).

No one is pining for Mick - I tweeted that, clearly for a joke, as Swansea scored their 3rd goal to inflict Cardiff's 6th defeat in a row.

The sad fact remains that Mick is the only manager who has done a good job for budgets/expectations vs reality since Jim Magilton's first season in charge, and he did so consistently.

There are too many that can't and won't accept that, and still try to talk Mick down even though he left us with a good squad and solidly in the middle of the Championship - at the time the same fans who now think he was rubbish were claiming he was holding us back with the squad he had in place and the new manager would push us on. ANd we've followed it up with the total nadir of ITFC's history

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:34 - Oct 18 with 554 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:26 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Football has changed, and back then the manager ran the club from top to bottom so making a change was a much bigger deal.

But at no point did Robson ever fail in his primary objectives, he got himself a lot of credit in the bank straight away by keeping us up.

I've not made a point about how difficult it was to remove him, I'm making a point about the impatience of the modern supporter. They've had called for both his and Burley's removal regardless of how difficult it was. We thought removing ME would be nigh on impossible but there were still plenty calling for it.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:36 - Oct 18 with 541 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:34 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've not made a point about how difficult it was to remove him, I'm making a point about the impatience of the modern supporter. They've had called for both his and Burley's removal regardless of how difficult it was. We thought removing ME would be nigh on impossible but there were still plenty calling for it.

I can only talk for the Burley era, as I didn't live through the Robson one, but the only time Burley came under any sort of fan pressure was when we kept losing in the play offs and bottling promotion.

I don't see how he'd have come under any pressure before then - the relegation was nailed on and we didn't even attempt to stay up - look at how this 'modern' fan base treated Lambert when he did the same 2 years ago

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:36 - Oct 18 with 535 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:29 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

No one is pining for Mick - I tweeted that, clearly for a joke, as Swansea scored their 3rd goal to inflict Cardiff's 6th defeat in a row.

The sad fact remains that Mick is the only manager who has done a good job for budgets/expectations vs reality since Jim Magilton's first season in charge, and he did so consistently.

There are too many that can't and won't accept that, and still try to talk Mick down even though he left us with a good squad and solidly in the middle of the Championship - at the time the same fans who now think he was rubbish were claiming he was holding us back with the squad he had in place and the new manager would push us on. ANd we've followed it up with the total nadir of ITFC's history

I don't disagree with any of that apart from I knew you were joking and that you're quite wrong in saying no-one's pining for Mick (unless they're all joking too).

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:40 - Oct 18 with 521 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:36 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

I can only talk for the Burley era, as I didn't live through the Robson one, but the only time Burley came under any sort of fan pressure was when we kept losing in the play offs and bottling promotion.

I don't see how he'd have come under any pressure before then - the relegation was nailed on and we didn't even attempt to stay up - look at how this 'modern' fan base treated Lambert when he did the same 2 years ago

Indeed. There's a lot of speculation and revisionism from certain posters. Cook has underachieved massively here so far and worryingly we keep seeing the same issues underpinning that underachievement. It is perfectly natural for fans to be questioning whether he's the man to take us forward. I'm not sure why a few fans are so upset by it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:42 - Oct 18 with 514 viewsjayessess

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:21 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not sure what the purpose of the comparison is here. 1969 is a different country to 2021. In 2021, Ipswich fans are very much at the patient end of things when it comes to managers.

It's not possible to run the club like it was run in the 1960s.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 12:09 - Oct 18 with 457 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:36 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

I'm not talking about fan pressure at the time, I'm talking about it now. The modern fan lacks patience (I'm largely talking about fans on here and other social media, rather than the flask and blanket brigade who clap though anything).

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:36 - Oct 18 with 398 viewstimothyeo

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 12:09 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not talking about fan pressure at the time, I'm talking about it now. The modern fan lacks patience (I'm largely talking about fans on here and other social media, rather than the flask and blanket brigade who clap though anything).

Our fans are exceptionally patient.

To our detriment, if anything.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:17 - Oct 18 with 376 viewsKeaneish

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 10:29 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

When Mick took over he said the aim was promotion. We never achieved that and were closer to the bottom than top when he left. There is nothing successful about his time here. He did a decent job in difficult circumstances. He achieved the bare minimum he was employed on a lucrative contract to do and flirted with achieving the ambition he set out for himself. ITFC were in better shape when he left than when he came in but after 6 years, what did the investment show for it?

Championship status. He left us with Championship status. Given his ambition, that was a failure for him. Some on here celebrate it like we should be grateful that in 6 years he achieved mediocrity. I do not and will never get it how that period is a benchmark for many to point to.

Those that have come after him have been a disaster (I don’t include Cook in that). In my opinion, McCarthy has also been a disaster ever since he left us and those who point to ROI are very misguided given the lack of progression he gave to any youth and the hefty payout he took for achieving, once more, nothing.

Anyway, while you’re here, it’s a big one for you and I tomorrow night. You plumped for The Cowleys at the start of the year and I plumped for Cook. It’s going to be fascinating to watch. I really think this is going to be a big point in our season. Are you heading down?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:21 - Oct 18 with 370 viewschrismakin

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:17 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

When Mick took over he said the aim was promotion. We never achieved that and were closer to the bottom than top when he left. There is nothing successful about his time here. He did a decent job in difficult circumstances. He achieved the bare minimum he was employed on a lucrative contract to do and flirted with achieving the ambition he set out for himself. ITFC were in better shape when he left than when he came in but after 6 years, what did the investment show for it?

Championship status. He left us with Championship status. Given his ambition, that was a failure for him. Some on here celebrate it like we should be grateful that in 6 years he achieved mediocrity. I do not and will never get it how that period is a benchmark for many to point to.

Those that have come after him have been a disaster (I don’t include Cook in that). In my opinion, McCarthy has also been a disaster ever since he left us and those who point to ROI are very misguided given the lack of progression he gave to any youth and the hefty payout he took for achieving, once more, nothing.

Anyway, while you’re here, it’s a big one for you and I tomorrow night. You plumped for The Cowleys at the start of the year and I plumped for Cook. It’s going to be fascinating to watch. I really think this is going to be a big point in our season. Are you heading down?

What I don't get Is people say be had a squad that shouldn't have competed as erm well as it did..

Mcgoldrick... ended up in prem with Sheffield utd
Mings.. now captain of villa
Chambers. Skuse. Berra etc all very high quality champ players
One of the best GK outside the prem in Bart

Regardless of financial levels.. he had a very good squad and should have done better than he ended up doing.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:28 - Oct 18 with 354 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:21 - Oct 18 by chrismakin

What I don't get Is people say be had a squad that shouldn't have competed as erm well as it did..

Mcgoldrick... ended up in prem with Sheffield utd
Mings.. now captain of villa
Chambers. Skuse. Berra etc all very high quality champ players
One of the best GK outside the prem in Bart

Regardless of financial levels.. he had a very good squad and should have done better than he ended up doing.

Who brought all of those players here and how much did he spend to do so?

You make the point that MM was an exceptionally good manager very well (despite not meaning to)!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:32 - Oct 18 with 352 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:17 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

Mick came in on a contract until the end of the season with us bottom of the league. He didn't fail here - and I think what has gone on since he was here is even more evidence of what was being achieved as budgets became less and less competitive.

The football became more boring as the budget decreased, but even in our one poor season where we sold Murphy we were nowhere near relegation and never in a scrap to stay up - when your budget is small, a bad season leads to relegation and that is what we should have been gratefulk for......but poor choices when he left undid all his good work in 3 months. A platform was left to kick on from but Evans was too stupid to see what Mick was doing, and what we needed when he left. The fact we had a vacancy on Easter Monday and yet the new manager wasn't in place for pre season was criminal.

Mick's time at the ROI was par - he kept them in position to qualify for major tournaments, that is the job - all kenny is doing now is allowing them to drop down the seeding pots so that it gets harder and harder to qualify by getting awful results.

He also did a good job at Cardiff last year, they were worried about relegation and he came in and did sucgh a good job that he got a 3 year deal. This year is going badly and he'll likely be sacked and it'll be deserved.

Cook has been a disaster so far, if he were to be sacked next week he could have no complaints - we all hope that changes, and fast, but it's at least equally likely it doesn't and he totally fails here.

Cowleys and Cook were very much 1a and 1b for me, I was very happy with either but just edged towards the Cowley's. Neither have done well at their new clubs, but feels as though Cook is falling further below expectations so far after what has been spent.

I can't even watch the game tomorrow so will try and catch a replay of the game on Weds morning if I can but feels a draw is most likely

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:34 - Oct 18 with 346 viewschrismakin

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:28 - Oct 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Who brought all of those players here and how much did he spend to do so?

You make the point that MM was an exceptionally good manager very well (despite not meaning to)!

I already said forget financial which is what everyone based it on. On the player quality he actually had whether he got them. Osman got them. The other scout fella... he had a good standard of squad which he ended up not doing anything with.

Was he good at bringing in a player with his management team yes
Was the club a shambles yes
Should he have done better with the squad he had. Yes
Was he a hero. In his first season yes
Did he need to leave yes
Is he as good as a manager as he was 20 years ago. No

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:48 - Oct 18 with 318 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:34 - Oct 18 by chrismakin

I already said forget financial which is what everyone based it on. On the player quality he actually had whether he got them. Osman got them. The other scout fella... he had a good standard of squad which he ended up not doing anything with.

Was he good at bringing in a player with his management team yes
Was the club a shambles yes
Should he have done better with the squad he had. Yes
Was he a hero. In his first season yes
Did he need to leave yes
Is he as good as a manager as he was 20 years ago. No

"Forget financial".

I see now why you have been so happy with Cook. We are mid-table and if you forget our finances there is no reason why we should be better than that. An exceptionally good season and we can hope to push for the play-offs. A poor one and we can welcome ourselves to League 2. That's our lot in your mind.

The real answer is, MM identified and brought in the players (with the support of whatever scouting team he had in place of course). MM improved them as players. MM got them playing as a team that was at least as good as their individual parts. There were a few players MM brought in who didn't work out but his percentage of players he improved is very high. You cannot say that of any other manager in the past 15+ years at Town.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024