Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out 17:50 - Oct 17 with 5077 viewsSuperCoops

This is the funniest, most ridiculous and unlikely thing to happen in 2021.

Ain't happening.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:13 - Oct 17 with 1287 viewsSamWhiteUK

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 18:05 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

And anyway, the match day experience now....

Ah, there he is
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:15 - Oct 17 with 1283 viewsSkip_Intro

anyone dreaming of Mick clearly needs a check up from the neck up...did ok with limited resources but his teams play terrible football. Also clearly has no respect for the fans - I'd rather have a manager who gives a sh't about the club than a manager purely interested in his own self inflated ego.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:25 - Oct 17 with 1259 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:09 - Oct 17 by textbackup

If he ends up taking Cardiff down, what would that then mean? Would he still be too good for L1?

He won’t take Cardiff down - he likely won’t even take them to Fulham on Tuesday!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:28 - Oct 17 with 1254 viewscoleking

Mick McCarthy is exactly what we need to get outta this fevkin division.

Poll: Cook out

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:53 - Oct 17 with 1225 viewsHARRY10

If we don't go up, and he stays we could be welcoming him back to PR next season, when we are at home to Cardiff

and as the Cardiff fan said when he heard he might be visiting PR

"about time too, Dai'
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:58 - Oct 17 with 1217 viewsVic

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 17:57 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Give Big Mick this squad in this division and he'd tear it up.

Toto, Woolf, Burgess, Edmundson, Coulson and JD would be the first names on the team sheet.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:00 - Oct 17 with 1211 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 20:28 - Oct 17 by coleking

Mick McCarthy is exactly what we need to get outta this fevkin division.

and exactly what cardiff need to get them into it...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:04 - Oct 17 with 1200 viewsitfcjoe

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:00 - Oct 17 by positivity

He did an excellent job last year, but whatever had happened this year it’s not worked and he’ll be getting the boot soon.

Should’ve just left in summer and set himself up as a man who comes in, does a job, gets paid handsomely then leaves.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:10 - Oct 17 with 1182 viewsStenvict

The irony is that Mick is exactly the type of manager we need to get us out of this league.

Unfortunately a lot of fans and happier seeing 2-2 draws and 5-2 losses than 3 points.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:30 - Oct 17 with 1160 viewsitfcsuth

Mick did a good job here, his remit was to survive, and he can do that - there is no getting away from the fact he has a certain approach to games, and it isn’t easy viewing at times.

Wouldn’t be a good fit for us now.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:41 - Oct 17 with 1135 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:30 - Oct 17 by itfcsuth

Mick did a good job here, his remit was to survive, and he can do that - there is no getting away from the fact he has a certain approach to games, and it isn’t easy viewing at times.

Wouldn’t be a good fit for us now.

There is no way he is coming back.

Truth is we need someone of his ability to turn us around. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done with the best budget in the league instead of pretty much the lowest.

What I do hope is that we can get a manager who can get us playing attractive and effective football. We seem to have gone from one to neither (repeatedly) to now just the other.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 07:55 - Oct 18 with 1032 viewstimothyeo

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 21:00 - Oct 17 by positivity

Inevitably managers have bad seasons or they'd all be one club managers. Mick initially done an excellent job there as he has everywhere he's been.

Whereas Cook has come in and done a dreadful job from day one.
Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:14 - Oct 18 with 1019 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 07:55 - Oct 18 by timothyeo

Inevitably managers have bad seasons or they'd all be one club managers. Mick initially done an excellent job there as he has everywhere he's been.

Whereas Cook has come in and done a dreadful job from day one.

yes, i'd rather have someone who starts poorly and builds a legacy than someone who does a good job to start with and tails off leaving a mess behind him as some do everywhere they've been.

let's all hope cook can be the former

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:19 - Oct 18 with 1016 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:14 - Oct 18 by positivity

yes, i'd rather have someone who starts poorly and builds a legacy than someone who does a good job to start with and tails off leaving a mess behind him as some do everywhere they've been.

let's all hope cook can be the former

It's very, very rare for a manager to come in and do as poorly as Cook has done in his first 30 games and go on to be a success.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:30 - Oct 18 with 1000 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:19 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

It's very, very rare for a manager to come in and do as poorly as Cook has done in his first 30 games and go on to be a success.

not unheard of though, how many points did burley get in his first 30? (are we counting cup games now?)

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:34 - Oct 18 with 990 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:30 - Oct 18 by positivity

not unheard of though, how many points did burley get in his first 30? (are we counting cup games now?)

Think we only count cup games that we've won. I believe that's the rule.

Burley became our manager nearly 30 years ago. He joined the worst side in the Prem, adrift at the bottom of the league, and we stayed there. In his second season we exceeded expectations by only missing out on the play offs on the last day. Many had predicted a double relegation for us. Cook joined a side 7th in League 1 and talked about automatic promotion before preceding to show relegation form over a very kind run in. The form has scarcely improved over a quarter of the way into the following season. In short, I think you're clutching at straws here.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:44 - Oct 18 with 973 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:34 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

Think we only count cup games that we've won. I believe that's the rule.

Burley became our manager nearly 30 years ago. He joined the worst side in the Prem, adrift at the bottom of the league, and we stayed there. In his second season we exceeded expectations by only missing out on the play offs on the last day. Many had predicted a double relegation for us. Cook joined a side 7th in League 1 and talked about automatic promotion before preceding to show relegation form over a very kind run in. The form has scarcely improved over a quarter of the way into the following season. In short, I think you're clutching at straws here.

i thought it was we only count cup games that cook loses?!

if you don't like the burley example, then robson didn't start his first full season that well, either, 6 losses in a row wasn't it?

ramsey was before my time, the point is that a slow start isn't *always* an indicator of brilliance.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:46 - Oct 18 with 972 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:44 - Oct 18 by positivity

if you don't like the burley example, then robson didn't start his first full season that well, either, 6 losses in a row wasn't it?

ramsey was before my time, the point is that a slow start isn't *always* an indicator of brilliance.

A slow start is usually an indicator of a duff manager, I agree. That you're using examples from 30 and 50 years ago when we were in the top flight and the managers in question largely did as expected given our statute at that level at the time shows a degree of desperation. I get from your username that you want to remain positive but there is scant evidence that Cook can turn this around and take us up.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 9:20]

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:00 - Oct 18 with 951 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:46 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

A slow start is usually an indicator of a duff manager, I agree. That you're using examples from 30 and 50 years ago when we were in the top flight and the managers in question largely did as expected given our statute at that level at the time shows a degree of desperation. I get from your username that you want to remain positive but there is scant evidence that Cook can turn this around and take us up.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 9:20]

i'm using managers from our history as that 's what i have most expertise in. 2 of our last 3 successful managers started slowly.

it's not guaranteed that cook will repeat the successes shown at his last few clubs and get promotion with ipswich, but it's also not totally unlikely!

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:22 - Oct 18 with 930 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:00 - Oct 18 by positivity

i'm using managers from our history as that 's what i have most expertise in. 2 of our last 3 successful managers started slowly.

it's not guaranteed that cook will repeat the successes shown at his last few clubs and get promotion with ipswich, but it's also not totally unlikely!

Their starts weren't exceptionally slow given what they inherited and what was expected though, plus you're going back a hell of a long way. The game has changed massively since we appointed Burley, let alone Robson.

It's not impossible that Cook turns it around and takes us on a run, but all evidence so far suggests it isn't likely.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:23 - Oct 18 with 928 viewsjayessess

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 08:44 - Oct 18 by positivity

Took over January 1969 - results from January then were:

2-0 win over Burnley
2-2 draw with Everton
1-0 win over Man United
2-0 win over Arsenal
1-1 draw with Wolves
2-1 win over Man City

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:28 - Oct 18 with 918 viewspositivity

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:23 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Took over January 1969 - results from January then were:

2-0 win over Burnley
2-2 draw with Everton
1-0 win over Man United
2-0 win over Arsenal
1-1 draw with Wolves
2-1 win over Man City

"first full season" started with 2 wins, 3 draws, 7 losses

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:31 - Oct 18 with 907 viewsHerbivore

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:28 - Oct 18 by positivity

So now you're having to cherry pick what counts as the start of Robson's reign to try to back up your point. This isn't going very well, mate.

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:33 - Oct 18 with 895 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:28 - Oct 18 by positivity

Robson won more games than Cook in his first 31 games, despite inheriting a worse team in a better division

Cook has only marginally exceeded Burley’s win rate in his first 31 games too (by a whole 1 win). And that’s despite Burley inheriting a car crash rather than a promotion challenger, and then having a vastly superior budget to rebuild with the following season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 09:39 - Oct 18 with 867 viewswitchdoctor

Whether you're a Cook In or Cook Out on 17:59 - Oct 17 by SuperCoops

I hope so. But I spat my coffee out at the thought he might be serious.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 9:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024