Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homophobia and banning 16:44 - Oct 18 with 9233 viewsBluefish

I've never been one to call for bans and I have some proper weirdos that spend their time abusing me on here but...
If the club are going to rightfully clamp down on homophobia sury twtd should as well. Only last week we had a moron poster posting homophobic nonsense and then claimed anything else was woke

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Homophobia and banning on 07:46 - Oct 19 with 1296 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 07:41 - Oct 19 by Bluefish

Just pissed

That seems to be the case a lot, mate. I'm not sure it's good for you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Homophobia and banning on 08:42 - Oct 19 with 1229 viewsBluefish

Homophobia and banning on 07:46 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

That seems to be the case a lot, mate. I'm not sure it's good for you.

I was at the food and drink awards ceremony celebrating, besides it would have been painfully dull to sit through that sober

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Homophobia and banning on 08:47 - Oct 19 with 1218 viewswkj

Homophobia and banning on 08:42 - Oct 19 by Bluefish

I was at the food and drink awards ceremony celebrating, besides it would have been painfully dull to sit through that sober

At the "Food and drink awards ceremony celebrating" - in other words watching channel 5 and the ads came on.

Understandable.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Homophobia and banning on 08:53 - Oct 19 with 1205 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobia and banning on 19:03 - Oct 18 by Clapham_Junction

You absolutely tarred people voting Labour at the last election. Do you not remember threads like this?
Bring back Blair..... by GlasgowBlue 12 Dec 2019 22:24
This 100%

Edit. A centrist dad wouldn't have gone balls deep for Corbyn in this election Joe.

Blimey. You trawled through two years and three hundred plus pages of my posting history to find a post where i “tarred anyone who voted Labour as supporting antisemtism in light of the EHRC report” and came up with a post where show incredulity at Joe doing a 180 turn from fervent corbynite to centrist dad Blairite.

As massive fails go that’s pretty impressive fella.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Homophobia and banning on 09:13 - Oct 19 with 1168 viewstractorshark

There was homophobic chanting by Ipswich fans at Cheltenham.
Nothing we haven’t heard before and it didn’t last long. But still ill advised and unacceptable in today’s world.
I think most people who heard it (including me) would have just written it off as moronic yoofs trying to be clever but if you are gay you could feel uncomfortable or take offence. I suspect most would laugh at it for its lack of originality.
Football crowds will never be places for the politically correct and I wouldn’t want them to be either.
But a genuine question….if we (and I include me) tolerate this sort of stuff on the terraces, will it ever be eradicated from society?
Homophobia and banning on 10:06 - Oct 19 with 1107 viewscharlie_blue

Homophobia and banning on 17:35 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I had an awkward situation against Shrewsbury - someone behind me repeatedly shouted "you poofta" at the Shrewsbury keeper. I turned round to see who it was/have a word, and it was this really old guy with about 3 teeth. Never seen him before so I suspect he's a dad or grandad of someone.

Long and short, I couldn't bring myself to have a go at him. And he stopped after a bit. But it was awkward, because I think someone ought to point it out to him that that sort f thing isn't acceptable anymore, but then I don't want to put the fear of god into a clearly old guy who probably doesn't know any better, because he's from another time.

Should I have said something? I mean technically I should've spoken to a steward, but then an old man gets thrown out and/or arrested. It's not acceptable... but is it a bit more understandable when it's someone very old and their intent won't be the same as a young person, who ought to know better?

The last match I attended was against Shrewsbury whenever it was. There was a bloke about 40 surrounded by his mates and his kids. When Shrewsbury came onto the pitch he was off, calling them the harlem globetrotters, suggesting they had large appendages and ridiculing them for being on their period among a string of gems. I thought what should I do but being nearly 70 do I want to draw attention to myself, then noticed the female steward was right next to him, her only job seemed to be to get a good view of the match
Homophobia and banning on 10:47 - Oct 19 with 1072 viewsMookamoo

Homophobia and banning on 10:06 - Oct 19 by charlie_blue

The last match I attended was against Shrewsbury whenever it was. There was a bloke about 40 surrounded by his mates and his kids. When Shrewsbury came onto the pitch he was off, calling them the harlem globetrotters, suggesting they had large appendages and ridiculing them for being on their period among a string of gems. I thought what should I do but being nearly 70 do I want to draw attention to myself, then noticed the female steward was right next to him, her only job seemed to be to get a good view of the match

This is what I mean about the club needing to educate and inform the supporters in what to do if they witness anything homophobic or racist. If we don't stamp it out it will breed.

Its all very well to release statements condemning the actions of idiots once they have the evidence, but I haven't seen anything pro-active that the club have done to help the supporters in these situations. Is there a procedure other than to inform the nearest steward? Where is the number you can text to get a steward, whose job it is to specifically monitor these instances, to come and hear for themsleves and then act. It should not be up to the crowd to intervene.

I see lots of posters and platitudes, but not a lot else.
Homophobia and banning on 10:57 - Oct 19 with 1052 viewsRyorry

Homophobia and banning on 10:47 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

This is what I mean about the club needing to educate and inform the supporters in what to do if they witness anything homophobic or racist. If we don't stamp it out it will breed.

Its all very well to release statements condemning the actions of idiots once they have the evidence, but I haven't seen anything pro-active that the club have done to help the supporters in these situations. Is there a procedure other than to inform the nearest steward? Where is the number you can text to get a steward, whose job it is to specifically monitor these instances, to come and hear for themsleves and then act. It should not be up to the crowd to intervene.

Unlikely anyone from the Club will read this (?) - maybe email or put it in a letter to them?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Homophobia and banning on 12:05 - Oct 19 with 993 viewstractorshark

Homophobia and banning on 10:47 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

The issue with away games is not everyone stands in their allocated seat.
In fact the people most likely to chant something offensive have probably crowded into a different row to be with mates.
So reporting seat numbers and rows leaves it open to someone innocent being accused.
So that leaves you with the option of informing a steward. And let’s be honest they aren’t paid enough to want to take on 6-10 lads who have probably been on the sauce since early morning.
I don’t blame them. I could have said something at Cheltenham but I had my kids with me and I didn’t want them to see their old man potentially subjected to verbal or physical abuse.
Unfortunately, the problem is not football, it’s people themselves.
Some are homophobic, some are racist, the issue is a lot of those people don’t always see it that way. They think it’s banter, it’s harmless or fair game etc etc.
It’s like the taking of the knee and the booing that goes with it. You don’t have to agree with all the policies of Black Lives Matter, that’s fair enough. But the taking of the knee is an anti-racism gesture.
Why would you boo anything that protests against racism? Unless, of course, you’re racist yourself.
So why would you chant something homophobic? Unless you are homophobic.
It is an uncomfortable truth but many are in denial and that’s why the cycle continues.
Homophobia and banning on 12:13 - Oct 19 with 969 viewsBlueBadger

Homophobia and banning on 17:51 - Oct 18 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all act with a lot more dignity and respect following on from the statements given today by Chris Bryant and the family of Sir David Amess. The former calling for us to be kinder to one another and the latter expressing wishes that we can set aside differences and show kindness and love to all.

Perhaps YOU could start by not referring to people who object to the sort of bigotry being discussed in the OP as 'bullies'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Homophobia and banning on 12:20 - Oct 19 with 959 viewsClapham_Junction

Homophobia and banning on 08:53 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

Blimey. You trawled through two years and three hundred plus pages of my posting history to find a post where i “tarred anyone who voted Labour as supporting antisemtism in light of the EHRC report” and came up with a post where show incredulity at Joe doing a 180 turn from fervent corbynite to centrist dad Blairite.

As massive fails go that’s pretty impressive fella.

There were several of these types of comments from you at the time which can be easily found via Google.

Corbynism - The Post mortem by GlasgowBlue 20 Jan 2020 8:47
Adam Langleben “ A senior member of staff in Jeremy Corbyn’s office admitted to me that they thought that Jeremy Corbyn was an antisemite but they were going to try and manage it. This member of staff still works there”

Just over a month ago you were prepared to put this bloke into number ten Joe.

And before anyone says “yeah but Boris”. I didn’t vote to put Johnson in number ten. I concluded that neither he is Corbyn were fit for office.

Homophobia and banning on 12:21 - Oct 19 with 954 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 12:20 - Oct 19 by Clapham_Junction

There were several of these types of comments from you at the time which can be easily found via Google.

Adam Langleben “ A senior member of staff in Jeremy Corbyn’s office admitted to me that they thought that Jeremy Corbyn was an antisemite but they were going to try and manage it. This member of staff still works there”

And before anyone says “yeah but Boris”. I didn’t vote to put Johnson in number ten. I concluded that neither he is Corbyn were fit for office.

So we can conclude from this that it's okay to blame people for who they voted for but only if they voted Labour?

Homophobia and banning on 12:22 - Oct 19 with 952 viewsMookamoo

Homophobia and banning on 12:05 - Oct 19 by tractorshark

The issue with away games is not everyone stands in their allocated seat.
In fact the people most likely to chant something offensive have probably crowded into a different row to be with mates.
So reporting seat numbers and rows leaves it open to someone innocent being accused.
So that leaves you with the option of informing a steward. And let’s be honest they aren’t paid enough to want to take on 6-10 lads who have probably been on the sauce since early morning.
I don’t blame them. I could have said something at Cheltenham but I had my kids with me and I didn’t want them to see their old man potentially subjected to verbal or physical abuse.
Unfortunately, the problem is not football, it’s people themselves.
Some are homophobic, some are racist, the issue is a lot of those people don’t always see it that way. They think it’s banter, it’s harmless or fair game etc etc.
It’s like the taking of the knee and the booing that goes with it. You don’t have to agree with all the policies of Black Lives Matter, that’s fair enough. But the taking of the knee is an anti-racism gesture.
Why would you boo anything that protests against racism? Unless, of course, you’re racist yourself.
So why would you chant something homophobic? Unless you are homophobic.
It is an uncomfortable truth but many are in denial and that’s why the cycle continues.

Yes, policing away fans is difficult. Having a clearly defined system in place for home games should be easier to sort. The same system can be offered to away fans at Portman Road with recordings sent to the opposition organisation for them to deal with. If all the teams took this seriously, they could quite easily identify those responsible, and assuming they are also regulars at home games, do something about it. Identify an offender and offer them a choice - they get banned or they attend a session at Portman Road where are taught why this is not acceptable.

I just think there are lots of words an no action. Just telling the homophobes and racists to not be homophobic and racist isn't going to work.
Homophobia and banning on 12:50 - Oct 19 with 901 viewsGlasgowBlue

Still failing to find where I said that anyone who voted Labour also supported antisemitism. But keep googling if it brings you a sense of achievement in your day.

Listen, I can save you some bother. I categorically said that a bi product of voting Labour was to put an antisemtie into number 10. Just kike a bi product of voting Tory was to put a homophobe and racist into number 10.

Each time I added that there will be plenty of decent Labour voters, I know quite a few of them from on here, who will put their x in the Labour box for all different reasons. All of the genuine decent reasons. I never once suggested that anyone who voted Labour at the last election supported antisemitism.

That is completely different to what Herbie was suggesting to a Tory voting poster on here who was commenting on homophobia.

Anyway, keep googling.

Iron Lion Zion

Homophobia and banning on 12:55 - Oct 19 with 894 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 12:50 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

Still failing to find where I said that anyone who voted Labour also supported antisemitism. But keep googling if it brings you a sense of achievement in your day.

Listen, I can save you some bother. I categorically said that a bi product of voting Labour was to put an antisemtie into number 10. Just kike a bi product of voting Tory was to put a homophobe and racist into number 10.

Each time I added that there will be plenty of decent Labour voters, I know quite a few of them from on here, who will put their x in the Labour box for all different reasons. All of the genuine decent reasons. I never once suggested that anyone who voted Labour at the last election supported antisemitism.

That is completely different to what Herbie was suggesting to a Tory voting poster on here who was commenting on homophobia.

Anyway, keep googling.

Nice wriggling, but I see little difference in what I've said on this thread to what you've said in the past. I merely pointed out that the poster in question voted for someone with a history of making homophobic comments. That's no different to your post to Joe.

Homophobia and banning on 12:56 - Oct 19 with 889 viewstractorshark

Homophobia and banning on 12:22 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

Yes, policing away fans is difficult. Having a clearly defined system in place for home games should be easier to sort. The same system can be offered to away fans at Portman Road with recordings sent to the opposition organisation for them to deal with. If all the teams took this seriously, they could quite easily identify those responsible, and assuming they are also regulars at home games, do something about it. Identify an offender and offer them a choice - they get banned or they attend a session at Portman Road where are taught why this is not acceptable.

I just think there are lots of words an no action. Just telling the homophobes and racists to not be homophobic and racist isn't going to work.

Agree 100%

The message is clear and I think most right-minded people in the world agree with it but, sadly, words alone are not enough.

It needs organisations, particularly the social media ones, to enforce it and follow through with significant punishments.

I applaud the actions of our club yesterday over the banning of a fan for life. That is a clear and strong message and maybe potential offenders will think twice now and hopefully re-educate themselves on why this is unacceptable in modern society.
Homophobia and banning on 13:09 - Oct 19 with 848 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobia and banning on 12:55 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

Nice wriggling, but I see little difference in what I've said on this thread to what you've said in the past. I merely pointed out that the poster in question voted for someone with a history of making homophobic comments. That's no different to your post to Joe.

You pulled somebody up yesterday for speaking out against homophobia because they voted Conservative.

If you can find a single post where I have pulled up a poster for speaking out against antisemitism because they voted Labour, or a post where I have said that anyone voting Labour is supporting antisemitism, then I'll concede the point.

Edit. Just to clarify I posted "I don't tar anyone who voted Labour as supporting antisemtism in light of the EHRC report".

Clapham has stated that I "absolutely did". So far he's failed to produce a single link where I've done this. Two of the most vocal opponents of Labour's antisemitism issue on here, Steve M and BlueBadger, are what I assume to be Labour voters. Clapham is just trying to stir the pot. It's a nonsense to suggest that by voting Labour people are supporting antisemitism anymore than a Tory voter is supporting homophobia and racism.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 13:15]

Iron Lion Zion

Homophobia and banning on 14:08 - Oct 19 with 768 viewsjaykay

if you get accused of trawling through peoples history, you can always use, "total recall " when they were accused of that

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Homophobia and banning on 14:28 - Oct 19 with 748 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 13:09 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

You pulled somebody up yesterday for speaking out against homophobia because they voted Conservative.

If you can find a single post where I have pulled up a poster for speaking out against antisemitism because they voted Labour, or a post where I have said that anyone voting Labour is supporting antisemitism, then I'll concede the point.

Edit. Just to clarify I posted "I don't tar anyone who voted Labour as supporting antisemtism in light of the EHRC report".

Clapham has stated that I "absolutely did". So far he's failed to produce a single link where I've done this. Two of the most vocal opponents of Labour's antisemitism issue on here, Steve M and BlueBadger, are what I assume to be Labour voters. Clapham is just trying to stir the pot. It's a nonsense to suggest that by voting Labour people are supporting antisemitism anymore than a Tory voter is supporting homophobia and racism.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 13:15]

Mind that ditch when you swerve, Glassers.

Homophobia and banning on 14:47 - Oct 19 with 727 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobia and banning on 14:28 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

Mind that ditch when you swerve, Glassers.

“ If you can find a single post where I have pulled up a poster for speaking out against antisemitism because they voted Labour, or a post where I have said that anyone voting Labour is supporting antisemitism, then I'll concede the point.”

How the fook is that swerving? Put up or shut up herbie.

Iron Lion Zion

Homophobia and banning on 15:24 - Oct 19 with 689 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 14:47 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

“ If you can find a single post where I have pulled up a poster for speaking out against antisemitism because they voted Labour, or a post where I have said that anyone voting Labour is supporting antisemitism, then I'll concede the point.”

How the fook is that swerving? Put up or shut up herbie.

I struggle with reading your posts on current threads, let alone going back through old ones. Likewise though, my post did not accuse the poster of being homophobic. I merely pointed out he voted for someone who has made homophobic remarks, which is essentially what you did to Joe previously.

Homophobia and banning on 16:19 - Oct 19 with 629 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobia and banning on 15:24 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

I struggle with reading your posts on current threads, let alone going back through old ones. Likewise though, my post did not accuse the poster of being homophobic. I merely pointed out he voted for someone who has made homophobic remarks, which is essentially what you did to Joe previously.

Joe wasn't speaking out against antisemitism. You've taken two threads, not even linked by you, and stripped them of any context.

Hey ho. As long as you win the internet for the day herbie.

Iron Lion Zion

Homophobia and banning on 16:20 - Oct 19 with 629 viewsHerbivore

Homophobia and banning on 16:19 - Oct 19 by GlasgowBlue

Joe wasn't speaking out against antisemitism. You've taken two threads, not even linked by you, and stripped them of any context.

Hey ho. As long as you win the internet for the day herbie.

Ffs.

Homophobia and banning on 18:31 - Oct 19 with 539 viewssolomon

It’s a tricky one this. I objected to a post a few days ago I felt was homophobic in its content and subsequently pointed it out. Unfortunately the poster in question didn’t really make any attempt to redeem themselves and went on to brand anyone who objects to such language as woke. I didn’t report it as I’d prefer to challenge these views and hope that they will see the errors of their ways. Fully appreciate that not everyone will share my view on this.
Homophobia and banning on 18:36 - Oct 19 with 515 viewsMullet

Homophobia and banning on 18:31 - Oct 19 by solomon

It’s a tricky one this. I objected to a post a few days ago I felt was homophobic in its content and subsequently pointed it out. Unfortunately the poster in question didn’t really make any attempt to redeem themselves and went on to brand anyone who objects to such language as woke. I didn’t report it as I’d prefer to challenge these views and hope that they will see the errors of their ways. Fully appreciate that not everyone will share my view on this.

Calling people woke deserves a ban in itself.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024