Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Took my Eye off the Championship 22:02 - Oct 20 with 5911 viewsOsborneOneNil

Aren’t Cardiff struggling! 4th bottom.

Really surprises me seeing as they’ve got Mick at the helm. He’s normally amazing.
Took my Eye off the Championship on 09:16 - Oct 21 with 1260 viewshype313

Took my Eye off the Championship on 09:13 - Oct 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Read it. It's a very balanced discussion.

Think my second para was as balanced as you could get.

I'm over this whole Mick debate, it's been done to death.

He's a poundland John Duncan.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:16 - Oct 21 with 1209 viewsChurchman

Took my Eye off the Championship on 07:20 - Oct 21 by Vic

Cant agree with you Mach. No manager will be swayed too much by fans - we’ve always been experts and most of us are wrong. OST of the time. Partly because we lack any real knowledge of pro football and partly because we don’t know all the in-house, behaving the scenes nuances of a club.

He’s a professional footie coach, paid to do a job. He has his methods and style of play which have been successful in the passed, but no longer work for any length of time.

I think this is fair comment.

MM has a way of doing things and it has served him well over the years. Personally, while respecting his success I’ve never been a fan of the way his teams play or warmed to him as an individual. However I’ve not met the bloke and I’ve certainly no idea how a football club works on the inside, other than by snippets from the likes of Dyer, Lee etc.

MM had a successful three years here followed largely by decline - most of it down to Evans hollowing the club out. He was good at finding players, especially from speculative punts and was clearly respected by the players. He certainly knew how he wanted to set a team up.

For me, the mugs that preceded and succeeded him are irrelevant. I can’t look back on his time with any great fondness apart from the relegation escape and some games in the play off season (Charlton, Watford away, dirty Leeds and Middlesbrough at home in particular). I wish him and TC well in the future.
Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:54 - Oct 21 with 1169 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:16 - Oct 21 by Churchman

I think this is fair comment.

MM has a way of doing things and it has served him well over the years. Personally, while respecting his success I’ve never been a fan of the way his teams play or warmed to him as an individual. However I’ve not met the bloke and I’ve certainly no idea how a football club works on the inside, other than by snippets from the likes of Dyer, Lee etc.

MM had a successful three years here followed largely by decline - most of it down to Evans hollowing the club out. He was good at finding players, especially from speculative punts and was clearly respected by the players. He certainly knew how he wanted to set a team up.

For me, the mugs that preceded and succeeded him are irrelevant. I can’t look back on his time with any great fondness apart from the relegation escape and some games in the play off season (Charlton, Watford away, dirty Leeds and Middlesbrough at home in particular). I wish him and TC well in the future.

Well put. He's a lovely bloke incidentally and the players loved playing for him. Wish he'd left us a season before he did.
Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:58 - Oct 21 with 1150 viewsSwansea_Blue

Took my Eye off the Championship on 23:13 - Oct 20 by Keaneish

What I found interesting tonight is that he moved away from his 5 CB strategy to play a more attacking system, which, by all accounts, had a lot more endeavour. Now, the obvious question is, why not do this against your fierce local rivals? Why wait until it’s really toxic to finally succumb to fan pressure. Seems he does give a flyin’ one after all…

Where do people think he’ll go from here?

Where does he go from here is an interesting question. Unless he turns performances and results around quickly he'll soon be out of a job. Although it sounds like there is potential to improve things if last night was a bit more ambitious.

But as for what's next after Cardiff assuming he's sacked soon, I wonder what level his stock is really at. It's been a long time since he had any success. His name will carry a bit of weight and his Ireland stint was seen as making the best of a bad situation. He doesn't scream 'progressive manager who's going to get you promoted' any more now though. Remember his Wolves side went up by actually playing some good stuff around his wingers. He's gone increasingly more Pulis-like since then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:03 - Oct 21 with 1134 viewspositivity

Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:58 - Oct 21 by Swansea_Blue

Where does he go from here is an interesting question. Unless he turns performances and results around quickly he'll soon be out of a job. Although it sounds like there is potential to improve things if last night was a bit more ambitious.

But as for what's next after Cardiff assuming he's sacked soon, I wonder what level his stock is really at. It's been a long time since he had any success. His name will carry a bit of weight and his Ireland stint was seen as making the best of a bad situation. He doesn't scream 'progressive manager who's going to get you promoted' any more now though. Remember his Wolves side went up by actually playing some good stuff around his wingers. He's gone increasingly more Pulis-like since then.

someone (joe?) was saying on here that he should see himself as a fire-fighter, sort out a club quickly, save them from relegation, get a big pay cheque and move on.

seems to be his best quality, better for his reputation and bank balance too?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:33 - Oct 21 with 1104 viewstextbackup

what was it he said when nobody even asked... "that went well"

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:42 - Oct 21 with 1084 viewsKeaneish

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:33 - Oct 21 by textbackup

Haha! I’d forgotten about that. For some whose, “..been in the game long enough to know…”, he clearly hasn’t learnt that there are always ups and downs. I guess the ego took over on that one.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 13:52 - Oct 21 with 1028 viewsHipsterectomy

I listened to a Cardiff podcast on the way to work, View From the Ninian which was interesting (and entertaining). They definitely see Mick as a senile old man there and have zero affection for the guy. There’s quite a few comparisons with us in that every season the owner makes funding cuts, Mick has slowly gained more control of the running of the club, they have 10/11 first teamers out of contract in the summer which always seemed to happen here.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Login to get fewer ads

Took my Eye off the Championship on 13:55 - Oct 21 with 1022 viewsDavoIPB

There's an even bigger problem with Mick than just results. His style of football is so rubbish that the fans give up watching. Football after all is about entertainment. It's the only real reason I have been to the home games this year (moved away last year so it's a bit of a hike). The football level is still awful at times and we look like we could lose from a 3-0 winning position but it is very entertaining.
Took my Eye off the Championship on 13:58 - Oct 21 with 1010 viewsSwansea_Blue

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:03 - Oct 21 by positivity

someone (joe?) was saying on here that he should see himself as a fire-fighter, sort out a club quickly, save them from relegation, get a big pay cheque and move on.

seems to be his best quality, better for his reputation and bank balance too?

Possibly. Although he seems to leave clubs in a bit of a mess. Whether that's because he manages to paper over the cracks or he genuinely leaves them in a worse position, I'm not so sure about.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:14 - Oct 21 with 980 viewsSteve_M

Took my Eye off the Championship on 13:52 - Oct 21 by Hipsterectomy

I listened to a Cardiff podcast on the way to work, View From the Ninian which was interesting (and entertaining). They definitely see Mick as a senile old man there and have zero affection for the guy. There’s quite a few comparisons with us in that every season the owner makes funding cuts, Mick has slowly gained more control of the running of the club, they have 10/11 first teamers out of contract in the summer which always seemed to happen here.

Cardiff are reminding me of Sunderland in the Premier about a decade ago, albeit a division lower. An annual change of manager - didn't Harris do quite well when first appointed? - seems to keep them comfortably mid-table but then there isn't enough to start the next season strongly. And then repeat.

It worked at Sunderland for a few years, right until it didn't.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:14 - Oct 21 with 976 viewspositivity

Took my Eye off the Championship on 13:58 - Oct 21 by Swansea_Blue

Possibly. Although he seems to leave clubs in a bit of a mess. Whether that's because he manages to paper over the cracks or he genuinely leaves them in a worse position, I'm not so sure about.

he does leave them in a mess, but that damage generally isn't done in the first year...

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:29 - Oct 21 with 955 viewsHerbivore

Took my Eye off the Championship on 11:33 - Oct 21 by textbackup

Since he left us he's managed the Republic of Ireland and Cardiff who are in the Championship. Meanwhile, we've finished bottom of the Championship with a pitiful points total and had back to back mid table finishes in League 1, where we currently sit 13th. I think the gloating from some quarters is a little misplaced.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:33 - Oct 21 with 949 viewsCoastalblue

Took my Eye off the Championship on 10:58 - Oct 21 by Swansea_Blue

He was never actually that popular at Wolves believe or not, more of a begrudging respect. The company I worked for at the time had a box there and I used to get the chance to go there fairly often and while you could undoubtedly pick out a decent and quite long highlights reel from that time there was also a lot of what we became accustomed to embedded in as well.

I think he's a guy who for a few years now has accepted that he's happy to grind out mid table and be respectable and then if it does click every so often all well and good. Clearly the jobs he's had have dictated that to a degree as well.

I hope he gets to leave in a better way that he did here and opts to top up the bank balance with occcasional pundit jobs.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:36 - Oct 21 with 943 viewsHerbivore

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:14 - Oct 21 by positivity

he does leave them in a mess, but that damage generally isn't done in the first year...

He didn't leave us in a mess though. He left us midtable in the Championship with a squad that had a good blend of young prospects and more established players. The mess was created by his successor ripping the guts out of the squad and replacing it with lower league players who weren't good enough to step up.

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:50 - Oct 21 with 920 viewspositivity

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:36 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

He didn't leave us in a mess though. He left us midtable in the Championship with a squad that had a good blend of young prospects and more established players. The mess was created by his successor ripping the guts out of the squad and replacing it with lower league players who weren't good enough to step up.

or he left us in a mess with an ageing squad with too much player power, over-reliant on loanees, a disillusioned fanbase and players on short contracts.

we've discussed this before many times, i doubt you'll convince me to change my mind, and i know i won't convince you!

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:51 - Oct 21 with 916 viewsHerbivore

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:50 - Oct 21 by positivity

or he left us in a mess with an ageing squad with too much player power, over-reliant on loanees, a disillusioned fanbase and players on short contracts.

we've discussed this before many times, i doubt you'll convince me to change my mind, and i know i won't convince you!

Yeah, you won't convince me as you're clearly talking nonsense.

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:59 - Oct 21 with 904 viewspositivity

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:51 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Yeah, you won't convince me as you're clearly talking nonsense.

*sigh*!

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:16 - Oct 21 with 894 viewsclive_baker

Good mate of mine is a Cardiff ST holder. He's absolutely furious at the situation, hating on McCarthy and I must say the theme is familiar. I liked Mick here on the whole, and think his pragmatism, ability to man manage and eye for a bargain really helped paper over some cracks and underinvestment, but I can see how he's got a shelf life. It's a brand of football that relies so much on results. It's passable while the points are rolling in, but the second that stops happening there will be little appetite for it.

He said they lines up at Swansea with 5 centre backs and 2 holding midfielders, and still lost 3-0. Not fact checked that claim, but it does sound pretty dire.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:18 - Oct 21 with 880 viewstextbackup

Took my Eye off the Championship on 14:29 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Since he left us he's managed the Republic of Ireland and Cardiff who are in the Championship. Meanwhile, we've finished bottom of the Championship with a pitiful points total and had back to back mid table finishes in League 1, where we currently sit 13th. I think the gloating from some quarters is a little misplaced.

Well done him.

Both went well.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:50 - Oct 21 with 836 viewsnoggin

I guess it depends on what you want on a match day. I took up crochet as it was more exciting than the football under Mick.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:53 - Oct 21 with 823 viewsHerbivore

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:50 - Oct 21 by noggin

I guess it depends on what you want on a match day. I took up crochet as it was more exciting than the football under Mick.

Have you watched us since he left? Promising signs this season but prior to that we've been dreadful for 3 years.

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:55 - Oct 21 with 821 viewsnoggin

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:53 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Have you watched us since he left? Promising signs this season but prior to that we've been dreadful for 3 years.

Oh, I continued with the crochet up until this season

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Took my Eye off the Championship on 16:04 - Oct 21 with 798 viewsHerbivore

Took my Eye off the Championship on 15:55 - Oct 21 by noggin

Oh, I continued with the crochet up until this season

Very wise. I foolishly kept my season ticket (last season aside).

Took my Eye off the Championship on 16:07 - Oct 21 with 799 viewsBudapestByBlimp

You've missed out his spell at APOEL where he had 5 defeats in 8 games.

I can see why Mick would be a good man-manager and I think he performed well under the circumstances, but his football was boring and disjointed with only a few exceptions over the years. Why do you think we're achieving higher attendances in the lower reaches of League One than we did in the Championship?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024