Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas 11:29 - Nov 17 with 2138 viewsElderGrizzly

Jailed for between 3 an 6 months

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/insulate-britain-nine-activists-jailed-hig
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:56 - Nov 17 with 652 viewsfooters

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:41 - Nov 17 by Clapham_Junction

One of my first thoughts on hearing this was that we'll end up seeing some kind of official apology to them in a couple of decades' time.

Will that be when MPs are all wearing scuba diving suits in the Commons wondering why the hell the country's suddenly underwater?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:58 - Nov 17 with 640 viewsXYZ

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:36 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

Canada is really getting the brunt of it at the moment.

The scenes from the heat dome and subsequent wild fires which destroyed Lytton last year were awful (there is a good Panorama on this which should be on the iPlayer).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/25/lytton-canada-heat-wildfire-record

50C temperatures followed by a totally unstoppable wild fire.

SB

Yes and basically the same area now suffering unprecedented flooding.

Siberia's record busting high temperatures; methane releasing melting "perma" frost ...

Led by Donkeys indeed.
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:07 - Nov 17 with 624 viewsSwansea_Blue

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:41 - Nov 17 by Clapham_Junction

One of my first thoughts on hearing this was that we'll end up seeing some kind of official apology to them in a couple of decades' time.

Hope so, it's disgusting treatment of them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:33 - Nov 17 with 589 viewsleitrimblue

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:51 - Nov 17 by blue62

Which extremely elderly woman! She's 58.... I'm 59 and I do not feel extremely elderly.

If yer my cellmate an I wake up with a raging morning Glory you may suddenly feel extremely frail an elderly... Prison really isn't the place for nice people in their 50,s
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:36 - Nov 17 with 583 viewsgiant_stow

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:37 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

Over the lifetime of an electric car it is far better for the environment than a petrol car. There are upfront manufacturing costs of course but after that, even if you use electricity made from polluting sources it's better than a petrol car. If you use electricity from renewable sources it's far, far better than a petrol car.

SB

A question for you Stokie (edit: or anyone else!) if poss:

What about a comparison between a new electric car and not buying a new petrol car, but instead running an old petrol car into the ground?

Maybe too a big a question unless you're some kind of car / energy analyst!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 13:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:36 - Nov 17 with 584 viewsBlueschev

Jail is harsh. They should have to do community service. I'd suggest they be made to plant concrete trees, make up for the damage they've caused.
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:42 - Nov 17 with 571 viewsJ2BLUE

Feels like someone has demanded/decided they need to be made an example of with those sentences

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:44 - Nov 17 with 552 viewsfooters

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:42 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Feels like someone has demanded/decided they need to be made an example of with those sentences

It's Priti pathetic if you ask me...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:08 - Nov 17 with 522 viewsEwan_Oozami

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:36 - Nov 17 by giant_stow

What about a comparison between a new electric car and not buying a new petrol car, but instead running an old petrol car into the ground?

Then what do you do after running an old petrol car into the ground?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:09 - Nov 17 with 514 viewsStokieBlue

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:36 - Nov 17 by giant_stow

Not sure that's a fair comparison though.

You're asking whether something which already exists consumes more resources than something that doesn't exist until it's constructed.

I think in most scenarios, continuing to use your existing petrol car is better for the environment than buying either a new electric or new petrol car (depending on it's age, engine size, efficiency and your personal mileage). However given people buy new cars all the time it's better in that realistic scenario to buy a new electric car over a new petrol one.

It's a complicated question but there is probably a cross-over point where an electric car is better than a used or new petrol car.

There is also a second part to this though, being better for the environment isn't the only consideration, there is also the fact that both old and new petrol cars are worse for air pollution in cities than a new electric car so that is a consideration as well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:27 - Nov 17 with 488 viewsgiant_stow

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:09 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

Not sure that's a fair comparison though.

You're asking whether something which already exists consumes more resources than something that doesn't exist until it's constructed.

I think in most scenarios, continuing to use your existing petrol car is better for the environment than buying either a new electric or new petrol car (depending on it's age, engine size, efficiency and your personal mileage). However given people buy new cars all the time it's better in that realistic scenario to buy a new electric car over a new petrol one.

It's a complicated question but there is probably a cross-over point where an electric car is better than a used or new petrol car.

There is also a second part to this though, being better for the environment isn't the only consideration, there is also the fact that both old and new petrol cars are worse for air pollution in cities than a new electric car so that is a consideration as well.

SB

Thats interesting thanks. I didn't mean it to be some kind of gotcha - if anything, I'm trying to ease my own guilt at only driving a petrol car and not being able to afford an electric one!

Given the price of many of those new electric ones, I'd imagine loads of bods are in the same situation.

Fair point on the air pollution for sure.

I only ask really in the spirit of questioning whether more consumption can ever really solve the crisis? That a change of mindset to conserving what we have may be at least another useful tool in the fight. I can see why that wouldn't be great for businesses but then I guess that trips into a debate about capitalism's failings in general.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:28 - Nov 17 with 484 viewsgiant_stow

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:08 - Nov 17 by Ewan_Oozami

Then what do you do after running an old petrol car into the ground?

I guess you'd buy someone else's cast-off either electric or a currently modern-eco-petrol sipper.

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:33 - Nov 17 with 471 viewsDarth_Koont

Undoubtedly.

But I think this all falls within their plan. This won’t go away as easily now it’s in the system. And now the authorities have questions to answer about the severity of these particular sentences.

Pronouns: He/Him

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:53 - Nov 17 with 438 viewsRyorry

You're assuming that 'civilisation' will be operating logically and smoothly in a couple of decades time.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:56 - Nov 17 with 431 viewsRyorry

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 12:51 - Nov 17 by blue62

Which extremely elderly woman! She's 58.... I'm 59 and I do not feel extremely elderly.

I referred to the very frail person who looked older than me (& I'm 70-something) who had to be helped to walk by 2 big boys in blue.

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 15:03 - Nov 17 with 414 viewsRyorry

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 11:57 - Nov 17 by leitrimblue

Pity there aren't any consequences for making yerself, friends and family extremely rich while destroying the planet

What's really bizarre is that the CEOs, Boards & investors of all those global corps (esp the fossil fuel giants) remain completely oblivious as to what constitutes real 'wealth'.

They seem to think their grandkids, great grandkids etc. will be able to eat, drink and breathe gold bars in bank vaults.

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 16:57 - Nov 17 with 362 viewsblue62

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:56 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

I referred to the very frail person who looked older than me (& I'm 70-something) who had to be helped to walk by 2 big boys in blue.

Arrr didn't see that, I was just reading the ages of the nine accused.

Hopefully a lot of years left in us both then.
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 17:01 - Nov 17 with 356 viewsblue62

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 13:33 - Nov 17 by leitrimblue

If yer my cellmate an I wake up with a raging morning Glory you may suddenly feel extremely frail an elderly... Prison really isn't the place for nice people in their 50,s

Mate you can keep your pointy stick thing to yourself.
Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 17:02 - Nov 17 with 353 viewsNthQldITFC

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 14:53 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

You're assuming that 'civilisation' will be operating logically and smoothly in a couple of decades time.

Now that is indeed a very well made point, which may well make an ass out of many of us.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 18:10 - Nov 17 with 312 viewsRyorry

Insulate Britain: These 9 aren't driving home for Christmas on 17:02 - Nov 17 by NthQldITFC

Now that is indeed a very well made point, which may well make an ass out of many of us.

I'll bookmark it in case we're still alive & have internet access ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024