Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… 09:25 - Nov 26 with 1671 viewsunstableblue

…. And one ‘caller’ point really stuck with me

“We completely replaced the squad because it was devoid of character, personality and drive, and this current team seem to also lack character” (I’m paraphrasing)

And that has really struck home. The team seemed to me to be a much more characterful and confident set of players.. take Piggot, Edmundson, Chaplin, Burns and Morsy.

But where the feck was the character on Tuesday night? You saw it from Edmundson in bucket loads. But no one else.

Have we sucked it out of them? The Ipswich malaise? Where is the confidence. Or is it the system, formation, coaching.

Take Burgess he oozed personality and a ‘grab the game’ bullish look… he has completely dropped form.

We need the confidence of a run, but why didn’t we keep the momentum after Wycombe.

Sunday needs a statement win, and we need a minimum of 2 points from Charlton and Wigan.

These owners listen to fans, Cooks position will become very difficult and the PackPR full house challenging unless we see a large turnaround from Tuesday
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 11:09]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:44 - Nov 26 with 1564 viewstextbackup

what i'm still (and most pissed off about) is the dropping/benching of Chaplin of late.

I'd personally be building a team around him. such a busy, clever, tough little sod. for me, head and shoulders above Celina

When he walked off vs Pompy he was smiling from ear to ear, loving life.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:49 - Nov 26 with 1524 viewsDavoIPB

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:44 - Nov 26 by textbackup

what i'm still (and most pissed off about) is the dropping/benching of Chaplin of late.

I'd personally be building a team around him. such a busy, clever, tough little sod. for me, head and shoulders above Celina

Chaplin has been poor of late. Got a run in the cup games and failed to influence the games. Celina on the other hand has been really good. Beating players. Setting play up and has scored goals.
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:49 - Nov 26 with 1521 viewsunstableblue

Celina is our Ronaldo

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:52 - Nov 26 with 1507 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Is it possible to have a statement win against the team bottom of the league?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:53 - Nov 26 with 1502 viewstractorboy1978

2 points from Charlton and Wigan? We need 4 from those minimum. I don't think it's unfair to say we are getting towards last chance saloon territory. 26 games left and we need 2+ points per game just to finish 6th.
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:54 - Nov 26 with 1496 viewsabracaDOBRA_

think he originally got dropped due to back spasms but since its cleared up he hasn't come straight back in which is odd. Reckon he will start Sunday. Think Celina works as a 'super sub'
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:02 - Nov 26 with 1447 viewschrismakin

Honestly. I can't imagine to many of these players signed expecting to be midtable.

Some have played under PC. Some haven't. But if we question certain things. Players must do too.

The coaching set up
Players being played in wrong positions
1 chosen formation and no flexibility

How many players find it frustrating that a 20+ goalscorer is on the bench
We have a league 1 assist god. Being played as a winger!

It's not a surprise that attitudes change

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:06 - Nov 26 with 1436 viewsSomethingBlue

Don't see why we can't play both Chaplin and Celina — they offer different things and we could do with all of it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:09 - Nov 26 with 1420 viewschrismakin

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:06 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

Don't see why we can't play both Chaplin and Celina — they offer different things and we could do with all of it.

Because Celina doesn't cover when wide and Chaplin is best as the 10. Imo

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:25 - Nov 26 with 1357 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:52 - Nov 26 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Is it possible to have a statement win against the team bottom of the league?

Yup.. it needs to be a ruthless, high energy, high intent and dynamic display.

It needs to show that we can dispatch lower level teams easily, and to put to bed a number of queries:

- can we break the lines
- can we turn up as a team with drive and intent
- is the formation able to open up teams effectively

But crucially it needs to build confidence ahead of these crucial away games

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:28 - Nov 26 with 1340 viewsDavoIPB

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:06 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

We did didn't we? Tuesday for example - didn't work! Chaplin wasn't very good!
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:31 - Nov 26 with 1328 viewswkj

What does a team having personality actually mean. Define it. It's an all encapsulating expression, surely.

I'll leave it there.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:39 - Nov 26 with 1314 viewsGarv

This is often a lazy argument for me.

We just got beaten, fair and square. Edmundson gives the impression of having more character because he's currently one of if not our best player. Was there a lack of character at Wycombe, at Lincoln etc?

With respect, what does this even mean?
'Take Burgess he oozed personality and a ‘grab the fame’ bullish look… he has completely dropped form.'

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:51 - Nov 26 with 1272 viewsSamWhiteUK

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:53 - Nov 26 by tractorboy1978

2 points from Charlton and Wigan? We need 4 from those minimum. I don't think it's unfair to say we are getting towards last chance saloon territory. 26 games left and we need 2+ points per game just to finish 6th.

I'd love to know how you know how many points 6th place are going to finish on. Can I have the lottery numbers as well please?
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:01 - Nov 26 with 1231 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:53 - Nov 26 by tractorboy1978

The project and Cook's tenure is on the verge of imploding

We need to beat Crewe convincingly, and then avoid losses on the road. Just get back on track. Agree its 1.7 PPG only. But a loss in these three games is going to be very negative ahead of the Sunderland home game, which I see as an opportunity to go on a run of wins.

And it is our last chance.

I said that if we can be within 7 points of the play-offs by Jan 1st we would have a chance of the play-offs, that is looking unlikely

Crewe (H) -win

A break to regroup and get some confidence from cup games

Charlton (A) - draw
Wigan(A) - draw
Sunderland (H) - win
Gillingham (A) - win
Wycombe (H) - draw

PPG - 2... a chance to stay in chance.. but we are at last chance saloon

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:03 - Nov 26 with 1227 viewstractorboy1978

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:51 - Nov 26 by SamWhiteUK

I'd love to know how you know how many points 6th place are going to finish on. Can I have the lottery numbers as well please?

I'll be amazed if it's less than 76 this season. Feel free to come back to me at the end of the season if it isn't.
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:08 - Nov 26 with 1199 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:39 - Nov 26 by Garv

This is often a lazy argument for me.

We just got beaten, fair and square. Edmundson gives the impression of having more character because he's currently one of if not our best player. Was there a lack of character at Wycombe, at Lincoln etc?

With respect, what does this even mean?
'Take Burgess he oozed personality and a ‘grab the fame’ bullish look… he has completely dropped form.'

'Take Burgess he oozed personality and a ‘grab the game’ bullish look… he has completely dropped form.'

For large swathes of the MK Dons and Wimbledon home game Burgess looked to be a really classy addition to the team, vocal, bossing play.. Everyone around me in the ground was going - 'what an addition' but then those games went south and so have his performances, he looks lost. I'm not sure he's settled into the team and area.

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:42 - Nov 26 with 1105 viewsjayessess

I think when things are going badly people fixate on intangibles like character and it's not something I'm very convinced by.

Last season's team was supposedly devoid of character, personality and drive, but amongst our mainstays we had plenty of players who'd had shown those qualities over the course of their career (Chambers, Sears, Judge, Ward), others who are thriving now they've left (Dozzell, Wilson, Downes), some whose character Cook clearly liked well-enough by the Summer to keep them involved (Donacien, KVY, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Dobra, Norwood, Jackson).

Football is the most competitive sport to get into on the planet. You've got to be incredibly driven to get anywhere in it, otherwise there's a 1000 other kids who'll progress instead of you, no matter your talent.

For the old lot the problem was quality. Quality as individuals, quality as a team. On Tuesday it was the same. Rotherham's players and the way they worked together was on another level to us.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 11:43]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

78 points this year... 74 last year; 73 18/19; 71 17/18 on 11:44 - Nov 26 with 1078 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 10:51 - Nov 26 by SamWhiteUK

Sunderland are at a projected 86 on their current PPG, but they are going to fall away as are others

And given our current points, and remaining games.. hey presto we are back to 2 PPG

With this kind of results, hitting that rate:
Crewe (H) - win
Charlton (A) - draw
Wigan(A) - draw
Sunderland (H) - win
Gillingham (A) - win
Wycombe (H) - draw

Which on paper looks eminently doable... but is has to START NOW, pivotal 3 games or good - MUST NOT LOSE

It's 78.... on 11:49 - Nov 26 with 1052 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:03 - Nov 26 by tractorboy1978

I'll be amazed if it's less than 76 this season. Feel free to come back to me at the end of the season if it isn't.

...I have spoken

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 12:28 - Nov 26 with 988 viewsGarv

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 11:08 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

'Take Burgess he oozed personality and a ‘grab the game’ bullish look… he has completely dropped form.'

For large swathes of the MK Dons and Wimbledon home game Burgess looked to be a really classy addition to the team, vocal, bossing play.. Everyone around me in the ground was going - 'what an addition' but then those games went south and so have his performances, he looks lost. I'm not sure he's settled into the team and area.

I missed those games but I'm sure you're right.

I have to say I don't know how you would know if he hasn't settled into the area though? This is just guesswork, no?

I also don' think it's fair to say his performances went south either really. He had one 'iffy' game at Cambridge where he was a tad outbattled but other than that, had he been that bad at all?? I feel it more a case of bringing Toto in for his own attributes than it was dropping an out of form player.

The players and manager will know the character of the squad. Until they've spent two years in L1 not being able to win big games or look like being successful - like the last squad we had - I don't think you can label them as not having character. It's just an easy and lazy tag.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 12:29 - Nov 26 with 979 viewschicoazul

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 09:49 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

Celina is our Ronaldo

A drain on the team who has catastrophically changed the way they play and makes them much worse every time he does?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 13:37 - Nov 26 with 867 viewsunstableblue

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 12:28 - Nov 26 by Garv

I missed those games but I'm sure you're right.

I have to say I don't know how you would know if he hasn't settled into the area though? This is just guesswork, no?

I also don' think it's fair to say his performances went south either really. He had one 'iffy' game at Cambridge where he was a tad outbattled but other than that, had he been that bad at all?? I feel it more a case of bringing Toto in for his own attributes than it was dropping an out of form player.

The players and manager will know the character of the squad. Until they've spent two years in L1 not being able to win big games or look like being successful - like the last squad we had - I don't think you can label them as not having character. It's just an easy and lazy tag.

Yes a bit silly saying he hasn't settled, reading too much into some comments on the coffee roulette

I thought we were developing a strong team spirit, and a strong set of personalities

But only wins really make that happen, and we're not getting them!

Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 13:59 - Nov 26 with 804 viewsAlanG296

Celina is our Ronaldo

The original Ronaldo would be more use in our team, even at 45.
Listening to the BlueMonday podcast… on 14:07 - Nov 26 with 774 viewsitfc1108

Celina is our Ronaldo

For me, Edwards and Celina are not suitable for this league.
They are luxury players and are more like YouTube footballers, all teckers and scoring bangers in training.
I would play Chaplin every time, even if he is a bit out of form.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024