Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The straw that broke the camels back? 20:58 - Dec 5 with 1829 viewsitfcjoe

“We’re not under great pressure, we’re not getting pinned back and clearing it off the line. We have massive individual errors that keep costing us and until we change the individuals at times, then the individual errors won’t change.”

I can't imagine this went down brilliantly with mark Ashton et al, as soon as I heard these words leave Paul Cook's mouth on Wednesday I thought he was pushing for something that couldn't happen.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:02 - Dec 5 with 1741 viewschrismakin

Mine were 2 things.

" Jackson is honest something that would go a long way right now ( bit odd)

Then after sat
It's the pitch. The media and the fans.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:03 - Dec 5 with 1713 viewsfooters

He's gone. Relax.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:21 - Dec 5 with 1574 viewsRegencyBlue

He was dead meat after the Rotherham game imho.

It was glaringly obvious just how far away we were from a top six team on that showing and things didn’t improve subsequently!
The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:56 - Dec 5 with 1402 viewsVic

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:21 - Dec 5 by RegencyBlue

It was glaringly obvious just how far away we were from a top six team on that showing and things didn’t improve subsequently!

If you’re right then it’s reassuring to know that the powers that be also recognized it and acted quickly.

Let’s hope they manage to get someone in who does a better job. If they don’t then Ashton won’t grow old here!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 00:47 - Dec 6 with 1158 viewsGarv

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:02 - Dec 5 by chrismakin

Mine were 2 things.

" Jackson is honest something that would go a long way right now ( bit odd)

Then after sat
It's the pitch. The media and the fans.

Some of our fans have been a whining bunch of pillocks at times this season, so if he was having a little dig, and it was little, then I don't blame him.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The straw that broke the camels back? on 01:09 - Dec 6 with 1113 viewspointofblue

The straw that broke the camels back? on 21:21 - Dec 5 by RegencyBlue

Yes, I think the Rotherham game was the moment the die was cast. Though convincing victories against Crewe, Arsenal U21s and Barrow would have probably given him more time.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 07:47 - Dec 6 with 864 viewsBlueBoots

Since the Wycombe game, we've had 7 home games (2 draws against lower league opposition in the cups, a goalless draw against a team in and around the play-offs, the Rotherham "game", a scraped win against the bottom club, and 2 more draws against lower league opposition in the cups) and 2 away games (the Oldham cup replay, and the Sunderland game) Regardless of how well we've played in any of those games, that's not a run of results that reflects the ability of the players recruited to the club (or the manager for that matter)

I don't think any one thing would have triggered the sacking...I think the new owners / O' Leary / Ashton have judged Cook on a month of poor results, and come to the decision that he wouldn't have been able to turn that around in time to give us a chance of a crack at promotion (just by making the playoffs) We now know that they're willing to act quicker than the previous owner, but to be fair to Cook, he wasn't their appointment, and they couldn't really have done much more in the summer to back him to succeed...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:02 - Dec 6 with 810 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some of his statements over the past week suggest he knew the trigger was about to be pulled.

Digs at some fans, digs at the players. Similar to Lambert’s last days.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:08 - Dec 6 with 772 viewsHerbivore

The straw that broke the camels back? on 00:47 - Dec 6 by Garv

Some of our fans have been a whining bunch of pillocks at times this season, so if he was having a little dig, and it was little, then I don't blame him.

That's just utter nonsense though, Garv. The fans have turned up in numbers all season and applauded him on to the pitch when he'd shown nothing here to earn that applause. A couple of times towards the end there as a bit of booing of an abject performance, big deal. The fans gave him excellent backing and he didn't deliver, he couldn't realistically expect nothing but goodwill forever. To have a pop at the fans was ridiculous, but fitted with his pattern of blaming everyone and everything but himself when things weren't going well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:15 - Dec 6 with 721 viewsSwansea_Blue

It was that run of 6 games where we were really going to see if he'd made a difference or whether we'd been papering over the cracks with superior players compared to the lower teams we thumped.

He did make some odd comments at the end though, which as Glassers says was reminiscent of Lambert's end. So he won't have been surprised (he may have been under a bit more pressure than a lot of us realised).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:38 - Dec 6 with 629 viewsSaigonTractor

The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:02 - Dec 6 by GlasgowBlue

Some of his statements over the past week suggest he knew the trigger was about to be pulled.

Digs at some fans, digs at the players. Similar to Lambert’s last days.

To be fair the players probably deserved a bit of a dig. Same as they did under Lambert if I'm being honest.
The straw that broke the camels back? on 08:46 - Dec 6 with 581 viewsYallop

I read that as changing the individuals decision making by improving them.

I think the club want to build a relationship with the fans and when they saw that was going they decided to act to give the new mam time to assess before the window opens.
The straw that broke the camels back? on 09:03 - Dec 6 with 518 viewsVic

You may well be right. It also feels to me like after the poor, but perhaps forgivable start to the season it looked like th8ngs were beginning to move in the right direction. The team was fit, they’d had time to get to know each other and what was being asked of the manager. But they came to a run of games where they needed to hit the throttle and they failed miserably to deliver.

It seems to me now that his/the recruitment policy was a little more scatter gun than I realized. It began to look like he signed a load of players because he could, but actually couldn’t fit them all in and so got lost in fitting a jigsaw of his own making together. In one sense he might have been better with fewer top signings and gradually building over two or three windows- plus doing all he could to keep the best of the players he rejected Dozzer and Downes)

I look forward to learning the true story of what really went on during Cooks time here. Was he really the 3 Lions choice? why did he really rip apart the old squad? How many of this squad was his choice and how many were Ashtons?

My fear is now that unless things improve they may unravel even more and the rumors from BCFC re Ashton could start to be proven correct.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024