Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook's sacking means... 12:03 - Dec 6 with 2798 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

... every single manager appointed by Marcus Evans has been either a failure, or an abject failure.

We'll never know if Gamechanger went along with Cook just to ensure the deal would go through.

But goodness me, Evans' record of failure is shocking.
Cook's sacking means... on 12:06 - Dec 6 with 2763 viewsSwailsey

Except for MM, obviously. Except you know that and are looking for bites. Which I’ve done. Darn.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Cook's sacking means... on 12:07 - Dec 6 with 2750 viewsSomethingBlue

McCarthy was no failure whatsoever, although it was a failure that we were in a position to need him.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Cook's sacking means... on 12:10 - Dec 6 with 2718 viewsDavoIPB

Cook's sacking means... on 12:07 - Dec 6 by SomethingBlue

McCarthy was no failure whatsoever, although it was a failure that we were in a position to need him.

McCarthy was a failure in terms of the club. He literally lost fans and the ground was half full at some of the matches I went to. So, so boring to watch.
Cook's sacking means... on 12:27 - Dec 6 with 2617 viewsIllinoisblue

Cook's sacking means... on 12:10 - Dec 6 by DavoIPB

McCarthy was a failure in terms of the club. He literally lost fans and the ground was half full at some of the matches I went to. So, so boring to watch.

Imagine a failure of reaching the playoffs in the Championship. We remain a million miles away from that.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cook's sacking means... on 12:35 - Dec 6 with 2573 viewsmrshallisfit

Someones being a teensy weensy bit selective in their memory.
Cook's sacking means... on 12:37 - Dec 6 with 2553 viewsSwailsey

Every manager has a shelf life - that doesn’t mean they were a failure.

Was Burley a failure?
Was Wenger?

Extreme examples yes, and in no way did MM come close. But his ‘failure’ was punching above and getting us in the play offs. He was no more a failure than JR was.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Cook's sacking means... on 12:39 - Dec 6 with 2531 viewsmrshallisfit

In other news, George VI has died and his daughter Elizabeth, abroad on official engagements, will take the reins on her return.
Cook's sacking means... on 12:47 - Dec 6 with 2508 viewsRadlett_blue

Let's hope that Mark Ashton is better at picking football managers than Marcus Evans.
The usual, expensive clear-out of Cook's 4 coaching staff.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Cook's sacking means... on 13:23 - Dec 6 with 2398 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

I should say that I agree that MM, of all the Evans era managers was unquestionably the most successful.

I also think that, if MM had had the resources placed at Cook's disposal, together with proper management of the club, players' contracts, training etc that Gamechanger have brought in, he would have done far, far better.

But not one of Evans' managers achieved anything. Getting into the playoffs, well, fine. Losing in the playoffs is not an achievement.

MM's finest achievement was staving off relegation in his first season.

Sorry for not joining the open-top bus tour for any of that - although Norwich would of course have done so!
Cook's sacking means... on 13:27 - Dec 6 with 2367 viewsJ2BLUE

Lol

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cook's sacking means... on 13:36 - Dec 6 with 2306 viewsMattinLondon

Cook's sacking means... on 13:23 - Dec 6 by NorthLondonBlue2

I should say that I agree that MM, of all the Evans era managers was unquestionably the most successful.

I also think that, if MM had had the resources placed at Cook's disposal, together with proper management of the club, players' contracts, training etc that Gamechanger have brought in, he would have done far, far better.

But not one of Evans' managers achieved anything. Getting into the playoffs, well, fine. Losing in the playoffs is not an achievement.

MM's finest achievement was staving off relegation in his first season.

Sorry for not joining the open-top bus tour for any of that - although Norwich would of course have done so!

On the pitch MM kept things stable which he was well rewarded by ME.

Off the pitch, MM was not a fan of sports science and this old school approach - in terms of club culture, MM shaped a lot of things which his successors were critical of.

MM was by no means a failure but he is just as guilty of taking the club backwards just like all of the managers have since since relegation from the PL.
Cook's sacking means... on 13:37 - Dec 6 with 2306 viewsBonneNIL

Cooks appointment was weird, he genuinely didn't know about a takeover Evans had been planning for over a year. I think Lambert already knew he was a gonner months prior and had checked out. I think Evans was trying to hang on to the club with Gamechanger just acting as financial backers until the 11th hour, otherwise why even appoint Cook? He could have left Lambert to be their problem.

Imagine the financial backing Cook would have got if Evans had stayed... the Downes and Dozzell sales would have been about as much money as he would have got at best, but weirdly, he may have done a little better with his hands tied and been forced to work with more of what we had rather then taking a sledgehammer to the squad so quickly which ultimately was his doom.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Cook's sacking means... on 13:40 - Dec 6 with 2279 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook's sacking means... on 12:37 - Dec 6 by Swailsey

Every manager has a shelf life - that doesn’t mean they were a failure.

Was Burley a failure?
Was Wenger?

Extreme examples yes, and in no way did MM come close. But his ‘failure’ was punching above and getting us in the play offs. He was no more a failure than JR was.

He was just 'meh'. On the plus side he got us into the playoffs once. On the down side the mood over his last year was as toxic as I've ever known. Bang average really. Which is a damning indictment of Evan's choices and support if that's the best he managed (the emphasis here is as much on Evans as Mick, as we all know Mick was having to fight with one hand tied behind his back).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cook's sacking means... on 13:40 - Dec 6 with 2276 viewswkj

Marcus Evans was the abject failure. Pure and Simple.

I doubt any manager in the world could have achieved sustained success under that structure.

I am not a big fan of MM, but for all he had available to him - he did pretty well.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cook's sacking means... on 13:42 - Dec 6 with 2261 viewsRadlett_blue

Cook's sacking means... on 13:37 - Dec 6 by BonneNIL

Cooks appointment was weird, he genuinely didn't know about a takeover Evans had been planning for over a year. I think Lambert already knew he was a gonner months prior and had checked out. I think Evans was trying to hang on to the club with Gamechanger just acting as financial backers until the 11th hour, otherwise why even appoint Cook? He could have left Lambert to be their problem.

Imagine the financial backing Cook would have got if Evans had stayed... the Downes and Dozzell sales would have been about as much money as he would have got at best, but weirdly, he may have done a little better with his hands tied and been forced to work with more of what we had rather then taking a sledgehammer to the squad so quickly which ultimately was his doom.

The timing of Lambert's sacking & replacement by Cook was incredibly odd as the new owners inherited a manager they hadn't chosen, but had only just been appointed. Another disastrous master stroke by the hapless Evans.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cook's sacking means... on 13:42 - Dec 6 with 2255 viewsThe_Major

But if you look at it, every manager since 1982 has left because of "failures" at that point. Possibly the only one that is debatable is Royle. "Mutual consent" can cover a multitude of sins.

(See also Bobby Ferguson's departure which apparently wasn't a sacking, just a non-contract renewal, as Mr Patrick didn't want Town to become "a sacking club")
Cook's sacking means... on 13:44 - Dec 6 with 2240 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook's sacking means... on 13:40 - Dec 6 by wkj

Marcus Evans was the abject failure. Pure and Simple.

I doubt any manager in the world could have achieved sustained success under that structure.

I am not a big fan of MM, but for all he had available to him - he did pretty well.

Yes this, and more this, with a sprinkling of this on top.

Cook's sacking means... on 13:45 - Dec 6 with 2222 viewschicoazul

Cook's sacking means... on 12:07 - Dec 6 by SomethingBlue

I suppose if his job was to get us up he failed…? But that would be an extreme point.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cook's sacking means... on 13:52 - Dec 6 with 2184 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook's sacking means... on 13:42 - Dec 6 by Radlett_blue

The timing of Lambert's sacking & replacement by Cook was incredibly odd as the new owners inherited a manager they hadn't chosen, but had only just been appointed. Another disastrous master stroke by the hapless Evans.

It was horrendous, especially when Cook could have had some of the January window to play with (albeit not a lot - but I think I'm right in remembering we were all fairly united in a change in mid-Jan). And when he did sack Lambert it was after we'd picked up a bit of form (unbeaten in 5, 4 wins in 7). His 5 year contract extension was peak banter era too.

But then this is the man who sacked Jim after a derby win, so nobody's surprised by his poor timing. The guy would could have given Mick some support when he needed it to make a difference, and not splash out on Keane and Hurst when they didn't. Pretty much everything Evans touched turned to crap.

Cook's sacking means... on 13:53 - Dec 6 with 2168 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook's sacking means... on 13:45 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

I suppose if his job was to get us up he failed…? But that would be an extreme point.

It wasn't though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cook's sacking means... on 13:53 - Dec 6 with 2167 viewschicoazul

Cook's sacking means... on 13:52 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

It was horrendous, especially when Cook could have had some of the January window to play with (albeit not a lot - but I think I'm right in remembering we were all fairly united in a change in mid-Jan). And when he did sack Lambert it was after we'd picked up a bit of form (unbeaten in 5, 4 wins in 7). His 5 year contract extension was peak banter era too.

But then this is the man who sacked Jim after a derby win, so nobody's surprised by his poor timing. The guy would could have given Mick some support when he needed it to make a difference, and not splash out on Keane and Hurst when they didn't. Pretty much everything Evans touched turned to crap.

“Rotherham….wow” by chicoazul 26 Nov 2021 12:26
Thank you so much Marcus Evans and your line of terrible managers terrible decisions terrible appointments obsessive controlling behaviour lack of time investment & communication and awful ownership.
You have reduced us to looking at Rotherham, yes that is what I said, Rotherham, and aspiring to be like them. You are without doubt the worst thing to ever happen to our football club. Please please disinvest from your tiny last bit of ownership and leave never to return as I for one am confident that such is the shadow you cast that this club will never have anything like success for as long as your pestilential presence persists.
Go.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cook's sacking means... on 14:29 - Dec 6 with 2071 viewsronnyd

I cannot, in these days of constant IT, social media etc. think that Cook was unaware of Evans selling the club. If i were looking at joining a new organisation, i sure as hell would have checked them out before i signed on the dotted line.
Cook's sacking means... on 15:35 - Dec 6 with 1989 viewsbroncos77

Yes agree; I was making similar point on another thread - he overloaded firstly on 'demolition' then on new players giving an overblown squad with similar abilities and couldn't manage keeping them all happy - especially those he'd 'promised' to be key men in his new team
The additions of Morsy, Celina, Edmondson, Chaplin, Walton were not 'icing on the cake' but top heavy disruption; if he'd built (as first intended?) around Burgess, Fraser, Evans Harper?, Pigott, Burns, Coulson he may well have been much more successful
Sometime 'More' is 'Less'
so now what does the new manager offload - the 'icings' who think they're Champ-level, or the 'building blocks' who know they are League One first-teamers elsewhere
- for me he(she) should get as much money back from the 'icings' as poss, let Bonne go back, and buy a new support striker for Pigott and a left winger to make a proper 'Team'
Cook's sacking means... on 15:57 - Dec 6 with 1936 viewsKropotkin123

Cook's sacking means... on 12:27 - Dec 6 by Illinoisblue

Imagine a failure of reaching the playoffs in the Championship. We remain a million miles away from that.

Not where we ended up though was it. We had our worst finish in how many years under him. Only eclipsed by the dross that followed him through the door.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cook's sacking means... on 16:08 - Dec 6 with 1910 viewsChurchman

I understand what you are saying about the football/club/supporters. However, he got us out of a certain relegation hole and gave us a couple of seasons in and around the playoffs. In his five and a half years he did well within the limitations imposed upon him and especially compared to his predecessors and successors. Certainly no failure.

Did I enjoy the football under McCarthy? Not really, though I always enjoy winning. But I do respect a good chunk of what he did for us under Evans’ depressing regime and what he’s done in the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024