Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Omicron 20:01 - Dec 11 with 5253 viewsOldsmoker

Here's a blog from a doc I stumbled on a few months ago when I had Covid and wanted some facts and not opinions or government spin. The first vid I saw of his was brutal 'cos his interpretation of the facts had no sugar coating.
This vid is in the same tone but the message about Omicron is encouraging.
I wish this guy was my doctor.
Watch the first 90 seconds and you'll watch the whole thing.
Proper facts delivered concisely and with no fuss.

If you only have 30 secs then watch 4.40 onwards.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 20:10]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Omicron on 20:05 - Dec 11 with 3513 viewsJ2BLUE

He kept me sane during the first two waves.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 20:05]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Omicron on 20:06 - Dec 11 with 3510 viewsDmodeboy

I've been watching him too. Gives a balanced view. No bias or political bias. Well researched and informative.

I no longer really watch mainstream media news..they just cause panic and fear with no positivity at all. As shown by the petrol/bog roll nonsense.
Omicron on 20:10 - Dec 11 with 3470 viewshype313

This is a good twitter feed discussing Omicron.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Omicron on 20:19 - Dec 11 with 3415 viewsTrequartista

Omicron on 20:05 - Dec 11 by J2BLUE

I've watched a few of his vids since you recommended him to the board a while back. He can get a bit carried away at times with some of his theories, but he always presents facts and citations, and presents quite complex biological information in a way ignorant punters like me can understand. He seems to have been proven right about the aspiration thing as well.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Omicron on 20:21 - Dec 11 with 3402 viewsgordon

That's pretty misleading from the bit I watched - the Omicron Wave could still be very, very bad based on what we currently know, and he doesn't seem to be aware that in infectious disease increased transmissibility is generally more dangerous than increased pathogenicity.
Omicron on 20:38 - Dec 11 with 3311 viewsfactual_blue

Omicron on 20:05 - Dec 11 by J2BLUE

Hmmmm......

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Omicron on 20:46 - Dec 11 with 3266 viewsJ2BLUE

Omicron on 20:19 - Dec 11 by Trequartista

I've watched a few of his vids since you recommended him to the board a while back. He can get a bit carried away at times with some of his theories, but he always presents facts and citations, and presents quite complex biological information in a way ignorant punters like me can understand. He seems to have been proven right about the aspiration thing as well.

Can't take the credit for that. Not sure who first posted his videos on here but it wasn't me.

I feel a bit guilty as when things improved I stopped watching. I might start again now though. For quite a while I watched every video he made.

Truly impaired.

Omicron on 20:48 - Dec 11 with 3264 viewsgtsb1966

January and February are depressing enough as it is and you can see what's coming with this new variant.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 20:55]
Login to get fewer ads

Omicron on 21:09 - Dec 11 with 3171 viewsdavblue

Omicron on 20:48 - Dec 11 by gtsb1966

January and February are depressing enough as it is and you can see what's coming with this new variant.

The noises are Christmas will have some restrictions.
Omicron on 21:21 - Dec 11 with 3128 viewsLord_Lucan

Omicron on 20:48 - Dec 11 by gtsb1966

What he said though was correct, it could have been like MERS and we would be in the sh1t.

I still think we have been extremely lucky, Covid-19 hasn't had much effect on kids and the deaths are minimal - it's not like millions per country have died after all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Omicron on 21:33 - Dec 11 with 3063 viewsgtsb1966

Omicron on 21:21 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

What he said though was correct, it could have been like MERS and we would be in the sh1t.

I still think we have been extremely lucky, Covid-19 hasn't had much effect on kids and the deaths are minimal - it's not like millions per country have died after all.

im sick of it all now. It's not going away so just get jabbed and live life as normal.
Omicron on 21:36 - Dec 11 with 3032 viewsJ2BLUE

Omicron on 21:33 - Dec 11 by gtsb1966

im sick of it all now. It's not going away so just get jabbed and live life as normal.

We could be coming to the end IF omicron is mild.

Truly impaired.

Omicron on 21:42 - Dec 11 with 3004 viewsLord_Lucan

Omicron on 21:36 - Dec 11 by J2BLUE

Who actually knows, we may have years and years of twists and turns

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Omicron on 21:51 - Dec 11 with 2960 viewsericclacton

Sorry i pressed the wrong arrow i will put it right.
Omicron on 21:57 - Dec 11 with 2922 viewsgtsb1966

Omicron on 21:42 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

Who actually knows, we may have years and years of twists and turns

We won't. The people won't have it
Omicron on 21:58 - Dec 11 with 2925 viewsStokieBlue

Hopefully that will be the case but there is already a mutated variant of Omicron which we know very little about and which can't be spotted using S gene dropouts on PCR tests.

People need to get their boosters (which I know most on here have/are doing) and that will help things immensely.

SB
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 22:06]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Omicron on 22:00 - Dec 11 with 2909 viewsStokieBlue

Some of his videos are very good, others are not so good (such as the one about Japan a few weeks back). I think it's a bit early to say it's "probably going to be the end of the pandemic" although it's certainly possible.

As an aside he couldn't be your doctor as he's a nurse rather than an MD.

SB
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 22:02]

Omicron on 22:21 - Dec 11 with 2793 viewsdickie

I wouldn't want him to be my GP seeing as he's not actually a medical doctor
Omicron on 05:43 - Dec 12 with 2558 viewsgordon

Not sure there's really any evidence to support it being more mild than Alpha or Delta, it's just that more immunity is built up in populations.
Omicron on 05:45 - Dec 12 with 2554 viewsgordon

Omicron on 22:21 - Dec 11 by dickie

I wouldn't want him to be my GP seeing as he's not actually a medical doctor

At least Sikora actually was a doctor I suppose.
Omicron on 08:47 - Dec 12 with 2421 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 05:43 - Dec 12 by gordon

Not sure there's really any evidence to support it being more mild than Alpha or Delta, it's just that more immunity is built up in populations.

Except there is data, although very early, to suggest it more mild than Alpha or Delta.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/12/11/early-data-on-omicron-show-s

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/cdc-chief-omicron-mild-early-data-

South Africa has a poor vaccination rate so your final sentence doesn’t apply.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Omicron on 09:24 - Dec 12 with 2359 viewsgordon

Omicron on 08:47 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Except there is data, although very early, to suggest it more mild than Alpha or Delta.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/12/11/early-data-on-omicron-show-s

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/cdc-chief-omicron-mild-early-data-

South Africa has a poor vaccination rate so your final sentence doesn’t apply.

43 cases in young adults with 3/4s of them double vaccinated doesn't provide any evidence that could be used to compare with the pathogenicity of previous waves - it's inevitable that Omicron results in proportionally less hospitalisations and deaths than Alpha and Delta because of greater previous exposure, but it's wrong to say that this means it is more 'mild'. It will take a dataset of thousands of cases and months of research to compare pathogenicity.

Also, in South Africa, the Delta wave was thought to have infected a very high proportion of the population.
Omicron on 09:29 - Dec 12 with 2353 viewsgordon

Omicron on 22:00 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

Some of his videos are very good, others are not so good (such as the one about Japan a few weeks back). I think it's a bit early to say it's "probably going to be the end of the pandemic" although it's certainly possible.

SB

The suggestion that this is the end of the pandemic is probably misleading as well - it's probably better to characterise this as the beginning of endemic covid-19, where each autumn/winter there's a new strain that needs to be dealt with. The fact that Omicron is highly transmissible means that more virus circulates and thus the chances of dangerous mutations and vaccine escape is greater in the future.
Omicron on 09:34 - Dec 12 with 2321 viewsStokieBlue

Omicron on 09:29 - Dec 12 by gordon

The suggestion that this is the end of the pandemic is probably misleading as well - it's probably better to characterise this as the beginning of endemic covid-19, where each autumn/winter there's a new strain that needs to be dealt with. The fact that Omicron is highly transmissible means that more virus circulates and thus the chances of dangerous mutations and vaccine escape is greater in the future.

That would be more accurate as you say.

Omicron has already mutated into the BA.2 variant which is growing but untraceable using the PCR s-gene dropout and we know very little about that variant so as you say, variants are and will arise.

SB

Omicron on 09:40 - Dec 12 with 2305 viewsDanTheMan

Omicron on 22:00 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

SB

I did see him being cited by a few anti vaxers because of that Japan video. There was another video too about intravenous injections that caused some alarm.

Bit of a counter point here:
(at 18:10)

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024