Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster 16:28 - Dec 15 with 6191 viewsStokieBlue

Clearly most of the country don't want more restrictions which is absolutely understandable but Omicron is absolutely running riot.

78000 cases today is massive, a 19% increase on cases from last week and more importantly as of Saturday hospitalisations are up 10.4% so that's likely more than that given we have seen a huge jump in cases since Saturday.

Deaths are slightly down this week but that would lag behind hospitalisations.

Given >10 million aren't yet boosted it's hard to see how the current level of restrictions are going to do anything given the steep rise in cases even with them. Most of that rise is going to be from the SE and London as Omicron is only thought to be 5% of cases up North but once it hits there it's going to keep on rising.

It's an impossible situation now where people absolutely understandably don't want more restrictions but without it the trend is only going to go one way over a short time horizon.

Perhaps at the very minimum the schools should close for the last 2 days of term and WFH should become mandatory rather than advice.

What are peoples thoughts? Would people want some tougher restrictions for a few weeks or do we agree with the Tory rebels that enough is enough?

Boris is speaking at 5pm, we shall see what he says. Either way, getting your booster is absolutely key now.

SB
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 16:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:32 - Dec 15 with 2435 viewsbluelagos

The way Omicron is spreading I can't see how tighter restrictions won't come. Rule of 6? Closing hospitality? Max number of families or contacts over xmas?

And if it shown we need to take action ffs do it sooner rather than later...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 with 2402 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Got to do something haven't we? I have tickets for Saturday and haven't been to a match for a long time but it seems madness to go.

Booster booked for next week but that won't give me full protection in time for Christmas. I am not sure if I am fully over having had Covid and with the likelihood of seeing elderly relatives at Christmas, this does not look good at all.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 with 2398 viewsJakeITFC

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:32 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

The way Omicron is spreading I can't see how tighter restrictions won't come. Rule of 6? Closing hospitality? Max number of families or contacts over xmas?

And if it shown we need to take action ffs do it sooner rather than later...

Think it is quite likely that a fair amount of people will say bolllocks to No.10 if they try to limit Christmas mixing.
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 with 2389 viewsIpswich24

And where are these 'stats' coming from exactly?
BBC, Sky scaremongering again!

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:36 - Dec 15 with 2368 viewsfooters

And what about the good news on covid, Stokie?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:37 - Dec 15 with 2337 viewsElderGrizzly

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 by JakeITFC

Think it is quite likely that a fair amount of people will say bolllocks to No.10 if they try to limit Christmas mixing.

I assume they’ll follow the Scotland approach.

Recommend limiting to 3 households before Xmas but not affect Christmas day.
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:37 - Dec 15 with 2333 viewsgiant_stow

I think its too late already personally. Its going to rip though the country and there's not a lot to stop it, short of individuals locking themselves up.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:38 - Dec 15 with 2294 viewsLeoMuff

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 by Ipswich24

The government provides the data, the news reports it.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Login to get fewer ads

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 2282 viewsbluelagos

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 by JakeITFC

Some people for sure. Pictures of last years Tory parties breaking the rules at the time will hardly help will they. There is a widespread CV fatigue.

But - I have to say when I was in London Monday night, the mask wearing on the tube was near universal. People don't want to kill their loved ones so most will am sure be sensible(ish).

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 2270 viewsfooters

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:35 - Dec 15 by Ipswich24

Please tell us more, professor.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 2272 viewsStokieBlue

They come from the exact metrics of the tests taken by the general public.

It's simple primary school maths which might be why you're struggling with it.

SB

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 2263 viewsIpswich24

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:38 - Dec 15 by LeoMuff

The government provides the data, the news reports it.

The good old government hey.. the ones that make up the rules but don't follow them

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:40 - Dec 15 with 2253 viewsCotty

They come from government testing figures, nothing to do with the media.
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:42 - Dec 15 with 2197 viewsElderGrizzly

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

They come from the exact metrics of the tests taken by the general public.

It's simple primary school maths which might be why you're struggling with it.

SB

Looks like the youngest taking the hit

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:43 - Dec 15 with 2188 viewsWD19

'Some people' will simply say that they have had enough of COVID and that they won't tolerate any more restrictions.....and ignore them if they are introduced.

These people will then complain later that nothing was done and/or anything that was done was done too late....

Its enough to make Mick's blood boil.

January is going to be the worst we have seen.....by a distance. At this rate about a quarter of the country is going to be either ill or self isolating at any one time. I look forward to lots of people expressing surprise.
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:43 - Dec 15 with 2178 viewsElderGrizzly

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:36 - Dec 15 by footers

And what about the good news on covid, Stokie?

Here’s a little bit

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:45 - Dec 15 with 2147 viewsBlueBadger

You seem like a fully qualified statistician or epidemiologist.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:45 - Dec 15 with 2149 viewsStokieBlue

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:42 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Looks like the youngest taking the hit

That's a massive rise in hospitalisations in London.

Given the spread of Omicron across the country that would mean a huge increase in hospitalisations if it's repeated in other areas before the boosters are rolled out.

SB

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:46 - Dec 15 with 2126 viewsLeoMuff

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:39 - Dec 15 by Ipswich24

The good old government hey.. the ones that make up the rules but don't follow them

Precisely, so blame the government covid response, not the news outlets

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:47 - Dec 15 with 2120 viewsgiant_stow

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:43 - Dec 15 by WD19

'Some people' will simply say that they have had enough of COVID and that they won't tolerate any more restrictions.....and ignore them if they are introduced.

These people will then complain later that nothing was done and/or anything that was done was done too late....

Its enough to make Mick's blood boil.

January is going to be the worst we have seen.....by a distance. At this rate about a quarter of the country is going to be either ill or self isolating at any one time. I look forward to lots of people expressing surprise.

I think you touch on the biggest problem we're facing there - how will society function for that month or so when everyone's got it?

Edit: to answer my own question: the requirement to isolate will have to be dropped for those able to work.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 16:52]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:47 - Dec 15 with 2120 viewsElderGrizzly

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:45 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

That's a massive rise in hospitalisations in London.

Given the spread of Omicron across the country that would mean a huge increase in hospitalisations if it's repeated in other areas before the boosters are rolled out.

SB

London is more sparsely vaccinated though. Which is the challenge of the next 6 weeks or so
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:48 - Dec 15 with 2100 viewsStokieBlue

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:47 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

London is more sparsely vaccinated though. Which is the challenge of the next 6 weeks or so

That is a fair point but there will be plenty without vaccines and boosters outside the capital when it hits those areas.

Just makes it all the more clear people need to be vaccinated and boosted.

SB

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:48 - Dec 15 with 2099 viewsTrequartista

Stay as we are. Is there any evidence this 10% rise in hospitalisations is due to omicron? The number was 10 yesterday. I don’t see how we are going to fare worse than South Africa when we are far more vaccinated than they are when even 2 doses gives good protection against hospitalisations and death, even factoring in an older population (they still have some old people in SA)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:48 - Dec 15 with 2097 viewsgtsb1966

Enough is enough is my answer to the original post.....when everyone who wants to be vaccinated has been vaccinated.
Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:50 - Dec 15 with 2053 viewsElderGrizzly

Some difficult discussions are going to have to be had in Westminster on 16:48 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

That is a fair point but there will be plenty without vaccines and boosters outside the capital when it hits those areas.

Just makes it all the more clear people need to be vaccinated and boosted.

SB

Absolutely.

Omicron cases are up 87% today vs yesterday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024