Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness 17:35 - Dec 18 with 4450 viewsMartus

First off, it looks fantastic. Great pose and really does look powerful and well done.

But considering the likeness of Sir Alf and Sit Bobby were done so well, am I the only one who thinks the face doesnt really look like Kevin Beatie?

The only reason I say it was because the other two were done so well and the standard set is so high.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

[Redacted] on 20:45 - Dec 18 with 1097 viewsvictorywilhappen

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:38 - Dec 18 by blueboyd

Sir Bob looks like Sir Bob
Sir Alf looks like Sir Alf
The Beat does not look like the Beat

[Redacted]
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:00 - Dec 18 with 1058 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

As I understand it the era from which the "model" photo was taken KB had no 'tache. The consultations on the statue I believe elicited at least this response, "You've got to include the 'tache!"

So facially the statue is a bit of a composite of eras. If I have that correct then maybe that feeds into the "It doesn't look like KB" view.

Then again maybe that's all bull.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:08 - Dec 18 with 1042 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Maybe it is due to looking up at an angle and it would look better square on.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:33 - Dec 18 with 1006 viewsGeoffSentence

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 17:52 - Dec 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Not set at the right angle for me. Should be coming down over the ball, not shying away from it.

Where will John Warks go?

The pose is taken from an actual image of him, as used on the cover of the 976 Shoot annual.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/immortalising-the-beat

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:39 - Dec 18 with 999 viewsjeera

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:33 - Dec 18 by GeoffSentence

The pose is taken from an actual image of him, as used on the cover of the 976 Shoot annual.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/immortalising-the-beat

I used to buy this mag as a kid! I'd forgotten about it.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 21:39]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:41 - Dec 18 with 994 viewsMijckl

When I saw it I thought that fella who played Sir Bobby at the New Wolsey must have been the model. Maybe it's the hair - that just ain't The Beat's hair
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:47 - Dec 18 with 977 viewsPinewoodblue

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:41 - Dec 18 by Mijckl

When I saw it I thought that fella who played Sir Bobby at the New Wolsey must have been the model. Maybe it's the hair - that just ain't The Beat's hair

Yes the hair looks too well kept for The Beat, not flowing enough, when he directed a header his hair was all over the place difficult, if not impossible, to replicate.

Everyone who looks at it will see The Beat and it will bring back memories for those old enough to have been there.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 22:07]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:49 - Dec 18 with 970 viewsWhos_blue

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 21:39 - Dec 18 by jeera

I used to buy this mag as a kid! I'd forgotten about it.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 21:39]

And here in lies the problem. Even the Shoot photo doesn't look like a posed photo of the Beat.

https://images.app.goo.gl/iCYx2HKHGQgfNMrEA

Although I haven't seen it yet, for me it's a composite piece that captures the essence of the man. On that level, it's a masterpiece.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Login to get fewer ads

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 00:19 - Dec 19 with 865 viewsheavyweight

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 17:53 - Dec 18 by exeterblue10

Somehow the face isn’t right - it looks more like Allan Hunter to me. Such a shame because the rest of it is superb

Yes it reminded me of big Al too.
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 00:31 - Dec 19 with 851 viewssnotbucket

Saw it before the game today. Facially it doesn't look like Beattie so rather disappointing in that respect, particularly considering how much it has cost, but the pose is great and the fact that there is a publicly funded statue commemorating this great player has to be applauded.
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 00:40 - Dec 19 with 835 viewsstonojnr

my impression was it captures him from that moment in time in the late 70s as per this

and most of our living memories of Beattie, unless you are 50plus are going to be of him like this

so fwiw I do think its a good likeness actually, its just its been nearly 45 years since anyone one of us saw him like that and thats the thing you are noticing.
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 19:44 - Dec 19 with 700 viewsBluespeed225

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 17:58 - Dec 18 by Pendejo

Is there a picture SHQ worked from to compare against.

Action face often looks bit different to the face "at rest"

Anyone who has seen a picture of their fk face, or indeed having just headed the ball knows it doesn't look right
(It = own face)
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 18:17]

If you look at the 1976 Shoot annual cover, the face is actually vey accurate, as you say, an ‘action ‘face. The kit, tache and hair are various Beatties.
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 19:57 - Dec 19 with 675 viewstownblue

Said the same when I saw it in person. Unless you knew who it was meant to be, I don't think you would guess based on the face.
Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:10 - Dec 19 with 662 viewsNthQldITFC

The pose is fantastic - all power, flow and movement, and that ball he is about to head will clear the North Stand and end up in the bus depot.

The body and musculature and representation of the kit including the badge and Ad!das logo is also fantastic.

When I first saw the face I was a bit unsure too, but looking at the two photos above (jeera and particularly stonjnr's posts) I can definitely see what they mean - it's like a composite of the two to me, and whilst not perfect is a really strong, slightly stylised, composite version of the great man in action.

I love it.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 20:25]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:14 - Dec 19 with 653 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:10 - Dec 19 by NthQldITFC

The pose is fantastic - all power, flow and movement, and that ball he is about to head will clear the North Stand and end up in the bus depot.

The body and musculature and representation of the kit including the badge and Ad!das logo is also fantastic.

When I first saw the face I was a bit unsure too, but looking at the two photos above (jeera and particularly stonjnr's posts) I can definitely see what they mean - it's like a composite of the two to me, and whilst not perfect is a really strong, slightly stylised, composite version of the great man in action.

I love it.

It's a reasonable representation of the early Shoot photo. Which is still the Beat, so good enough for me. None of us look as handsome as we once did (me excepted of course)!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:15 - Dec 19 with 654 viewsWarkystache

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 20:10 - Dec 19 by NthQldITFC

I love it.

It's excellent. You want an example of how bad football statues can be, search for Ted Bates original at Southampton FC.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Kevin Beatie Statue Likeness on 22:47 - Dec 19 with 563 viewsChurchman

I had a good look at it today in the tin and I think it’s great.

Looking at the other posts on this thread, it’s clearly taken from the Shoot picture and that’s very KB as I remember him. As far as the moustache is concerned it kind of looks like the 1976 image plus the moustache from a few years later and that makes the face slightly compromised.

However, I don’t care. It’s a wonderful piece of work and for me it’s Beattie! What great memories he gave us, not least along with a certain Mr Hunter trampling all over MacDonald and Stapleton etc at Wembley.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024