Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sewage released into rivers 19:43 - Mar 31 with 1473 viewsjeera

as often as a thousand times per day.

The government want this cut by half by 2040.

I can't be alone in wanting this cut completely by the end of last week at the latest.

What happened to our values?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sewage released into rivers on 19:52 - Mar 31 with 1431 viewsPlums

Privatisation really isn’t working is it?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Sewage released into rivers on 20:01 - Mar 31 with 1408 viewsjeera

Sewage released into rivers on 19:52 - Mar 31 by Plums

No.

Sewage released into rivers on 20:03 - Mar 31 with 1410 viewsSwansea_Blue

I saw an interesting stat on this the other day showing how we’d no longer any rivers classed as clean, despite making great strides up to 2010 (I wonder what changed then!). I’ll see if I can find it again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sewage released into rivers on 20:06 - Mar 31 with 1399 viewsjeera

Sewage released into rivers on 20:03 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

I saw an interesting stat on this the other day showing how we’d no longer any rivers classed as clean, despite making great strides up to 2010 (I wonder what changed then!). I’ll see if I can find it again.

We're talking public property being abused by profit-making companies pumping sh1t, literally, into it. And legally.

People used to swim in rivers, paddle at least, canoe, people fish in them.

Fish live in them for pity's sake.

This cannot be ok on any level. It seems to be one of those things that is so blatantly wrong we ignore it when we hear it because it can't be really true.

Sewage released into rivers on 20:16 - Mar 31 with 1381 viewsfactual_blue

Don't worry; our true-blue, libertarian, capitalist values are still intact, as this example of irresponsible stupidity demonstrates.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sewage released into rivers on 20:44 - Mar 31 with 1317 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

They were sold to share holders.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sewage released into rivers on 21:01 - Mar 31 with 1301 viewsNthQldITFC

When politicians and big business break the law and get away with it as they arrogantly lower standards and raise profits, I'm not far from thinking why should I bother following any of their fking laws. Do they want anarchy?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Sewage released into rivers on 21:10 - Mar 31 with 1284 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 20:06 - Mar 31 by jeera

We're talking public property being abused by profit-making companies pumping sh1t, literally, into it. And legally.

People used to swim in rivers, paddle at least, canoe, people fish in them.

Fish live in them for pity's sake.

This cannot be ok on any level. It seems to be one of those things that is so blatantly wrong we ignore it when we hear it because it can't be really true.

Agreed. I can’t find what I saw, but that’s the crux of it. None of the things you mention are deemed important when there’s a profit to be made. It’s disgusting. I bet the CEOs of the water companies don’t go home and crap on the floor in their lounge. They’re happy enough to pump crap into environments other people use though.

Login to get fewer ads

Sewage released into rivers on 21:12 - Mar 31 with 1282 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 20:03 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

This really doesn't surprise me. I often spend time alongside a river and have noticed the increase in effluent, certainly over the last seven or eight years, but dramatically so in the last two years.

All of this at a time that many species are being re-introduced into the river system after long periods of being totally extinct in the UK.

Salmon numbers in the Thames started to fall, since reaching a modern day peak in the 90's, with their numbers always a key indicator of water quality. No Salmon have been recorded in the Thames since 2005.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sewage released into rivers on 21:24 - Mar 31 with 1256 viewsChurchman

Sewage released into rivers on 21:10 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. I can’t find what I saw, but that’s the crux of it. None of the things you mention are deemed important when there’s a profit to be made. It’s disgusting. I bet the CEOs of the water companies don’t go home and crap on the floor in their lounge. They’re happy enough to pump crap into environments other people use though.

This summarises it rather neatly.

Our ‘born to rule betters’? As long as they get their share, their expenses, their seats on the Board when they leave govt, cash for questions, their hands on stolen Russian money, who cares about dead bodies in Salisbury, dead fish in the river or the plebs living with sewage pumped in the rivers or anywhere else? Ukraine invaded, Covid? Profit first, second, third.

They disgust me.

Rant over.
Sewage released into rivers on 21:35 - Mar 31 with 1236 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 21:12 - Mar 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

This really doesn't surprise me. I often spend time alongside a river and have noticed the increase in effluent, certainly over the last seven or eight years, but dramatically so in the last two years.

All of this at a time that many species are being re-introduced into the river system after long periods of being totally extinct in the UK.

Salmon numbers in the Thames started to fall, since reaching a modern day peak in the 90's, with their numbers always a key indicator of water quality. No Salmon have been recorded in the Thames since 2005.

I’ve oversold the historical situation a bit. Back at the end of the 00s we were concerned that a lot of our rivers would struggle to meet EU standards under the Water Framework Directive. Only 26% of rivers were of good ecological standard back then (although it had been improving).
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/22/pollution-rivers-environment

12/13 years on and only 14% of rivers meet those standards. That despite a target to hit 95% by 2015. You can see another example here of why the Tories wanted out of the EU. Environment standards get in the way of profits.

Shame about the Salmon - it’s a similar story everywhere. Migratory fish are getting hammered from every angle - loss of spawning sites due to low flows caused by agricultural abstraction, poor water quality, netting, commercial fishing at sea, ocean chemistry and acidification changes. We don’t look after this place do we?

Sewage released into rivers on 21:38 - Mar 31 with 1229 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 21:24 - Mar 31 by Churchman

This summarises it rather neatly.

Our ‘born to rule betters’? As long as they get their share, their expenses, their seats on the Board when they leave govt, cash for questions, their hands on stolen Russian money, who cares about dead bodies in Salisbury, dead fish in the river or the plebs living with sewage pumped in the rivers or anywhere else? Ukraine invaded, Covid? Profit first, second, third.

They disgust me.

Rant over.

And even down to the individual landowner pumping water out to water his crops or cattle. It’s always profit first.

Sewage released into rivers on 21:57 - Mar 31 with 1198 viewsSuffolktractor

Sewage released into rivers on 21:38 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

And even down to the individual landowner pumping water out to water his crops or cattle. It’s always profit first.

Although to be fair unless the farmer can make a profit then we will not be able to eat locally sourced beef, milk, potatoes, carrots etc.
Then we could always import our beef, protein and sugar from Brazil where they have kindly cut down the rainforest (not for profit, of course) just for us.
Sewage released into rivers on 22:44 - Mar 31 with 1137 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 21:57 - Mar 31 by Suffolktractor

Although to be fair unless the farmer can make a profit then we will not be able to eat locally sourced beef, milk, potatoes, carrots etc.
Then we could always import our beef, protein and sugar from Brazil where they have kindly cut down the rainforest (not for profit, of course) just for us.

Yes, fair point. It’s not a simple case of farmers = bad. They need help to be responsible custodians of the land. In some cases that could help them make more money from leisure and tourism as they’re forced to diversify income streams.

Sewage released into rivers on 22:56 - Mar 31 with 1120 viewsSuffolktractor

Sewage released into rivers on 22:44 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, fair point. It’s not a simple case of farmers = bad. They need help to be responsible custodians of the land. In some cases that could help them make more money from leisure and tourism as they’re forced to diversify income streams.

You are correct, but an unfortunate fact of life with the enormous world population and aspirations, industrial scale farming is here to stay and will have to expand even further.
Sewage released into rivers on 23:00 - Mar 31 with 1113 viewsjeera

Sewage released into rivers on 22:56 - Mar 31 by Suffolktractor

You are correct, but an unfortunate fact of life with the enormous world population and aspirations, industrial scale farming is here to stay and will have to expand even further.

Genius insight.

Thanks.

Sewage released into rivers on 23:07 - Mar 31 with 1096 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whilst we need industrial farming to provide for a growing worldwide population, we can still drive higher environmental, labour and health standards too. Instead, it is profit above all of these and this was a major driving force in leaving the EU. It does not have to be one over the other. It is possible to make reasonable profits, provide for population needs and be responsible towards welfare and the environment.

It is like when the Government says it can't afford to spend on this, that or the other. It is never that they cannot afford to, it is a political decision that they are not prepared to raise the necessary funds or limit the profits of businesses in order to do so.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sewage released into rivers on 23:24 - Mar 31 with 1071 viewsbudgiebasher

Winds me up. Massive bugbear. I swimming Inrivers should be good clean fun instead it’s a load of sh1t

Poll: Who should be the next manager of ITFC

Sewage released into rivers on 23:27 - Mar 31 with 1063 viewsSwansea_Blue

George Monbiot’s thoughts on this are interesting. It doesn’t have to be that way (although greed and vested interests mean what you describe is probably inevitable).

He’s just written a book on the topic, although I’ve only read what he’s Ben saying on Twitter and in the Guardian.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/regenesis/george-monbiot//9780241447642?awaid=3

Sewage released into rivers on 23:32 - Mar 31 with 1059 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sewage released into rivers on 23:07 - Mar 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Whilst we need industrial farming to provide for a growing worldwide population, we can still drive higher environmental, labour and health standards too. Instead, it is profit above all of these and this was a major driving force in leaving the EU. It does not have to be one over the other. It is possible to make reasonable profits, provide for population needs and be responsible towards welfare and the environment.

It is like when the Government says it can't afford to spend on this, that or the other. It is never that they cannot afford to, it is a political decision that they are not prepared to raise the necessary funds or limit the profits of businesses in order to do so.

It should be that way. Some people seem to not give a flying feck about the world they live in or the people they share it with. I don’t understand it.

Sewage released into rivers on 23:34 - Mar 31 with 1059 viewsjeera

Sewage released into rivers on 23:24 - Mar 31 by budgiebasher

Winds me up. Massive bugbear. I swimming Inrivers should be good clean fun instead it’s a load of sh1t

When we played pooh sticks as kids this is not what we had in mind.

Sewage released into rivers on 23:44 - Mar 31 with 1051 viewsjeera

Sewage released into rivers on 23:32 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

It should be that way. Some people seem to not give a flying feck about the world they live in or the people they share it with. I don’t understand it.

Back to water collection.

As a species we've been doing this farming lark for quite some time now and I am sure years ago fields used to have irrigation ditches. Then they also had hedges you may remember, to aid wildlife but also to protect the top layer of soil from erosion.

I dunno what happened to that but I'm fairly sure much was removed in the name of gaining more ground. I may well be wrong, dunno.

I do know my uncle managed many acres in Western Australia for several decades which contained horses and a small holding of cattle.

He used to be involved in rodeo, bizarrely.

Being a lorry-driving Scotsman who'd married a Maltese lady from London I suppose it was inevitable really.

But they had to collect and rely heavily on their own water for the lot; employing massive funnel things which ran into silo type containers, (you can see I'm well up on the jargon).

I fully appreciate the circumstances and quantities are not remotely equivalent but nonetheless as far as principals go surely it's not far from the realms of possibility that someone with a few thousand acres can come up with something a bit bigger than a bucket to collect some sodding water to at least put towards their crops.

This came about for reasons I cannot remember but I'm sure we can look up at some point.

The rules changed at some point about irrigation and access to rivers. It wasn't always thus. And you sure as hell couldn't always pour contaminated sewer junk into them in such quantities.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 23:46]

Sewage released into rivers on 08:12 - Apr 1 with 871 viewsBlueBadger

We traded them in in favour of Getting Are Country Back in 2016.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sewage released into rivers on 08:41 - Apr 1 with 837 viewsGeoffSentence

Sewage released into rivers on 23:44 - Mar 31 by jeera

Back to water collection.

As a species we've been doing this farming lark for quite some time now and I am sure years ago fields used to have irrigation ditches. Then they also had hedges you may remember, to aid wildlife but also to protect the top layer of soil from erosion.

I dunno what happened to that but I'm fairly sure much was removed in the name of gaining more ground. I may well be wrong, dunno.

I do know my uncle managed many acres in Western Australia for several decades which contained horses and a small holding of cattle.

He used to be involved in rodeo, bizarrely.

Being a lorry-driving Scotsman who'd married a Maltese lady from London I suppose it was inevitable really.

But they had to collect and rely heavily on their own water for the lot; employing massive funnel things which ran into silo type containers, (you can see I'm well up on the jargon).

I fully appreciate the circumstances and quantities are not remotely equivalent but nonetheless as far as principals go surely it's not far from the realms of possibility that someone with a few thousand acres can come up with something a bit bigger than a bucket to collect some sodding water to at least put towards their crops.

This came about for reasons I cannot remember but I'm sure we can look up at some point.

The rules changed at some point about irrigation and access to rivers. It wasn't always thus. And you sure as hell couldn't always pour contaminated sewer junk into them in such quantities.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 23:46]

On the hedge front, it may be of interest to know that Suffolk County Council are restoring hedgerows to their farms. There is a Suffolk County Farm not far from from me and I came across a gang planting hedges along the fields a few days ago. Had a bit of a chat with them and they had been all over the county planting hedges for the council, think he said they were up to 80,000 hedging plants by that time.

I also recall a couple of decades ago just after I moved here, one of the local farmers ripped out a load of hedges. A few months later he featured in the East Anglian complaining about how the winter rain had washed his topsoil away.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sewage released into rivers on 11:46 - Apr 1 with 755 viewsBlueBadger

Sewage released into rivers on 19:52 - Mar 31 by Plums

Neither is Brexit, given that that's removed a whole of legal protections regarding this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024