Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government 23:04 - Apr 5 with 5190 viewsunstableblue

This is a political move and not in the public good. This is an erosion of the quality of our media and ability to truly critique and question those in power.

Just can’t believe it.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 23:05]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:40 - Apr 6 with 1442 viewsJ2BLUE

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 00:19 - Apr 6 by Darth_Koont

I get your point – and it’s not wrong.

But no-one cares about millions of poor children in the UK. Amongst many other injustices and inequalities.

Our apathy is pretty endemic.

And yet you spend most of your time attacking Labour, the only viable alternative to the Tories.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:43 - Apr 6 with 1421 viewsBlueBadger

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:16 - Apr 6 by usm

I am sure you know the answer to that question, you are so incisive.

This is the most cowardly, 'yes but Labour' I've ever seen.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:17 - Apr 6 with 1383 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:40 - Apr 6 by J2BLUE

And yet you spend most of your time attacking Labour, the only viable alternative to the Tories.

The current Labour Party is no alternative.

What will they change? They’ve backtracked on every single one of Starmer’s progressive leadership “pledges”.

They just want to be in charge for the next stage of “competent” managed decline. While the underlying structural issues remain unaddressed.

Hey! But as long as they keep taxes low ... and just say the right things.

Pronouns: He/Him

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:19 - Apr 6 with 1382 viewsThe_Major

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:23 - Apr 6 by usm

Maggie

Just checking, is that the same Maggie who's pet project was the European Single Market as it created huge opportunities for trade, created the Channel Four funding model, and coming from a scientific background, followed the science with regards to HIV/AIDS, ploughing funds into research? You know, some of the things that the broken garden gnome made of mashed potato and his incompetent bunch of sociopaths are intent on destroying?

Or was that Maggie Philbin?
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:23 - Apr 6 with 1370 viewsJ2BLUE

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:17 - Apr 6 by Darth_Koont

The current Labour Party is no alternative.

What will they change? They’ve backtracked on every single one of Starmer’s progressive leadership “pledges”.

They just want to be in charge for the next stage of “competent” managed decline. While the underlying structural issues remain unaddressed.

Hey! But as long as they keep taxes low ... and just say the right things.

Clearly they would be better than the Tories.

Better is never enough for some of you, it's all my way or nothing.

People keep talking about how the centre had been edging to the right for ages. Surely the way to reverse that is to start edging back? This massive leap you want is clearly not going to happen any time soon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 13:18 - Apr 6 with 1298 viewsRyorry

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:19 - Apr 6 by The_Major

Just checking, is that the same Maggie who's pet project was the European Single Market as it created huge opportunities for trade, created the Channel Four funding model, and coming from a scientific background, followed the science with regards to HIV/AIDS, ploughing funds into research? You know, some of the things that the broken garden gnome made of mashed potato and his incompetent bunch of sociopaths are intent on destroying?

I loathed her & what she stood for, but she had a brain, cared about the UK, and was competent - compared with the current shower of liquid sh1te. That I'd swap her & her cabinet right now for this bunch of corrupto criminals speaks volumes.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:18 - Apr 6 with 1274 viewsgalacticoblue

If it was a news channel, or indeed it actually shows quality programs, I may be able to see your point.
On the flip side you may have come up with a great idea how to make C4 programs newsworthy and political. How about, ‘Homes in the sun, no thanks to Boris’ or ‘Naked MP attraction’?
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:20 - Apr 6 with 1268 viewsLord_Lucan

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:18 - Apr 6 by galacticoblue

If it was a news channel, or indeed it actually shows quality programs, I may be able to see your point.
On the flip side you may have come up with a great idea how to make C4 programs newsworthy and political. How about, ‘Homes in the sun, no thanks to Boris’ or ‘Naked MP attraction’?

It went downhill when Damon left Brookside.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:23 - Apr 6 with 1258 viewsEdwardStone

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:19 - Apr 6 by The_Major

I met Maggie Philbin a couple of times. She lived a friend's home

I thought she was gorgeous
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:25 - Apr 6 with 1256 viewsBonneNIL

I am sure the world can live without 8 hours of big bang theory re-runs.

As someone under 40, I forgot Channel 4 even existed to be fair. That TV format is dead, whoever owns it, and they will all go over the next few years as the world moves on from the 20th century.

Is Big Brother still a thing? If so, it deserves to go for that alone but I can't recall which trash TV station that was on, as it's the garbage you see on ITV and Channel 5 as well. British TV is awful!

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 16:04 - Apr 6 with 1203 viewseireblue

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:17 - Apr 6 by BlueBadger

It is very weird that self-proclaimed anti-authoritarian Chico is always keen to take the side of a law-breaking government that is desperate to avoid scrutiny of any kind.

I think it is called being socially conservative.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:01 - Apr 7 with 1101 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:23 - Apr 6 by J2BLUE

Clearly they would be better than the Tories.

Better is never enough for some of you, it's all my way or nothing.

People keep talking about how the centre had been edging to the right for ages. Surely the way to reverse that is to start edging back? This massive leap you want is clearly not going to happen any time soon.

The answer to the centre edging right is to stop fecking edging right. We’ve been seeing this since the 80s and the result is the status quo where widening gaps and inequalities have gone unchecked ever since. Despite the trumpeting of flagship projects like education that did have a positive effect, New Labour were as bad (and in some cases worse) on many of the key issues like manufacturing, housing, the NHS, immigration, wage inequality, regional inequality etc. They helped sow the seeds and tend the crop of what we’ve been failing to deal with ever since.

So no, I don’t think it is actually all that clear that they’d be better than the Tories. For starters, they’re killing the debates that need to happen and marginalising those voices who have an actual alternative to this gradual decline of the UK.

A softer version of the Tories is still a turd that needs flushing.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:44 - Apr 7 with 1058 viewsRyorry

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:01 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

The answer to the centre edging right is to stop fecking edging right. We’ve been seeing this since the 80s and the result is the status quo where widening gaps and inequalities have gone unchecked ever since. Despite the trumpeting of flagship projects like education that did have a positive effect, New Labour were as bad (and in some cases worse) on many of the key issues like manufacturing, housing, the NHS, immigration, wage inequality, regional inequality etc. They helped sow the seeds and tend the crop of what we’ve been failing to deal with ever since.

So no, I don’t think it is actually all that clear that they’d be better than the Tories. For starters, they’re killing the debates that need to happen and marginalising those voices who have an actual alternative to this gradual decline of the UK.

A softer version of the Tories is still a turd that needs flushing.

So if Labour's candidate was the one most likely to overturn the Tory in your constituency in the next GE, you wouldn't vote for that Labour candidate?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:47 - Apr 7 with 1051 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:40 - Apr 6 by J2BLUE

Well quite, it’s not like the millions of children in poverty reduced under the last Labour government, or anything

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:02 - Apr 7 with 1028 viewschicoazul

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:47 - Apr 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well quite, it’s not like the millions of children in poverty reduced under the last Labour government, or anything

Would you like to know how many children were living in poverty when Brown left office? Clue; it was a lot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:16 - Apr 7 with 1015 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Yeah but Starmer has a smart haircut, and was seen with a flag once.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:22 - Apr 7 with 1005 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:47 - Apr 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There was an upswing in the global economy that lifted many people out of poverty. Nothing to do with policy. After all, those gains were wiped out by the financial crash and the problems were then exacerbated by austerity that had the backing of both sides of the house.

Let’s get real for a change.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:29 - Apr 7 with 988 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:44 - Apr 7 by Ryorry

So if Labour's candidate was the one most likely to overturn the Tory in your constituency in the next GE, you wouldn't vote for that Labour candidate?

You clearly think that Labour in their current guise are the answer.

I don’t think you’re asking the right question.

The real question is what do we need to do to actively make Britain a better place to grow up in, grow old in, live in and work in. The Labour right and the centre as a whole have no idea that doesn’t first reinforce the status quo and then suggest tinkering at the edges.

How is that different from Boris’s equally inadequate and politicized “leveling up”? In real terms, that’s just cosmetics.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:41 - Apr 7 with 960 viewsRyorry

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:29 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

You clearly think that Labour in their current guise are the answer.

I don’t think you’re asking the right question.

The real question is what do we need to do to actively make Britain a better place to grow up in, grow old in, live in and work in. The Labour right and the centre as a whole have no idea that doesn’t first reinforce the status quo and then suggest tinkering at the edges.

How is that different from Boris’s equally inadequate and politicized “leveling up”? In real terms, that’s just cosmetics.

Could you just answer my question please.

TWTD would love to know.

You can make it theoretical if you like, wouldn't want to breach your individual right to confidentiality.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:47 - Apr 7 with 961 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:02 - Apr 7 by chicoazul

Would you like to know how many children were living in poverty when Brown left office? Clue; it was a lot.

…but much less than it was when Blair assumed office, and that’s including the increase that happened after the banking crisis

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:59 - Apr 7 with 940 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:22 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

There was an upswing in the global economy that lifted many people out of poverty. Nothing to do with policy. After all, those gains were wiped out by the financial crash and the problems were then exacerbated by austerity that had the backing of both sides of the house.

Let’s get real for a change.

Yes, nothing to do with policies like the introduction of the minimum wage, or increases in benefits and tax credits that were well above inflation and specifically focused on families with children. The IFS estimated that the levels of support for lone parents had increased by 20-30% in real terms by the end of New Labours government, but what do they know eh

As for those gains being wiped out once Labour were no longer in power, I’m completely baffled as to how you think that supports your whole ‘Labour would be no better’ argument, bonkers gymnastics

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 13:11 - Apr 7 with 924 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:41 - Apr 7 by Ryorry

Could you just answer my question please.

TWTD would love to know.

You can make it theoretical if you like, wouldn't want to breach your individual right to confidentiality.

‘Course I wouldn’t vote for them. I hope Labour in its current guise crashes and burns and has to re-invent itself as a party of opposition. Otherwise, we’re just wasting time while situations will still worsen.

And as I said, I can’t see any real, practical difference between the two parties despite what you and others believe you can project onto them. “Better than the Tories” is pretty meaningless if they’re aligned on a majority of issues. And especially if Labour seem hell-bent on proving their value to the interests of capital and the right-wing media that’s leading its portion of the electorate by the nose.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 13:18 - Apr 7 with 917 viewsDarth_Koont

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 12:59 - Apr 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes, nothing to do with policies like the introduction of the minimum wage, or increases in benefits and tax credits that were well above inflation and specifically focused on families with children. The IFS estimated that the levels of support for lone parents had increased by 20-30% in real terms by the end of New Labours government, but what do they know eh

As for those gains being wiped out once Labour were no longer in power, I’m completely baffled as to how you think that supports your whole ‘Labour would be no better’ argument, bonkers gymnastics

Yes, that’s what I said. Labor did nothing positive at all ...

My point is that they didn’t do anything like enough in 13 years of power to address structural inequalities that needed to be changed. And in many cases like housing and manufacturing the situation actively worsened on their watch. Then we end up where we are today with a divided nation that is seemingly stuck without any form of strategy that doesn’t involve blaming others, propping up home owners and keeping taxes low.

Simply not fit for purpose and the needs of the UK as a whole. Now and especially in the future.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 13:20 - Apr 7 with 909 viewslongtimefan

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:23 - Apr 6 by EdwardStone

My Mum used to serve meals to Maggie T when the later was a research chemist at Lawford Place near Manningtree.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 13:26 - Apr 7 with 893 viewsjeera

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 14:23 - Apr 6 by EdwardStone

I listened to Maggie May when I was a kid.

I also once met a girl called Maggie online who was going to come and visit but then didn't.

Then one time I found a cat that had been run over in the road so I stopped and wrapped her in a furniture blanket I had in the boot and put her on the pavement. I then rang the number on her collar.

The cat's name was Maggie.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024