Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results 14:57 - Apr 11 with 3178 viewsSTYG

It wouldn't hurt to remind people that even with defeat to Cambridge, failing to beat Shrewsbury and Morecambe and Cheltenham and throwing away points at the death at Oxford, it all still looks rosy.

McKenna has 10 wins, 6 draws and 3 defeats in 19 games. 1.89 points per game. 87 points over a projected season.

This is with a team he inherited. With no permanent signings of his own, straight off the bat and without being able to shape the team to how he wanted it. It's also with no prolific or in form striker.

Despite this, we would be on target to finish:

20/21 - 1st (Joint)
19/20 - 2nd
18/19 - 3rd
17/18 - 3rd
16/17 - 2nd
15/16 - 1st
14/15 - 3rd (Joint)
13/14 - 3rd
12/13 - 1st

So even taking 1/6 points in the last two weekends, we have only dropped to the level where we'd have got automatic promotion in over half of the last nine seasons.

We'd actually be sitting in 4th this season, the lowest position of all ten seasons I looked at, which just goes to show how ridiculous this season has been in League One.

If McKenna can come in and do this (he took a team that had 1.26 PPG and transformed them into 1.89 PPG) immediately, without knowing the division much, without a transfer window to identify players, without Sam Williams etc, then it really is appropriate to believe we can be serious promotion contenders next season as a misfiring team with out of form strikers that keeps clean sheets, let alone as one that will no doubt aspire to sign some top strikers.

Furthermore, Hull and Posh both went up automatically last year with 11 defeats each. We have lost 1 in 13 (3.5 over a season) and 3 in 19 all together (7 over a season). We would need to turn a few draws into wins of course, but again, this could be achieved with something as simple as rub of the green, before we get onto efficient strikers.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 15:02]
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:00 - Apr 11 with 2577 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Cook couldn't get a tune out of a squad he built, Mckenna has. People seem to forget that, and that he hasn't bought in any of his own players. Imagine what he can do with a few of his own signings
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:04 - Apr 11 with 2553 viewsSTYG

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:00 - Apr 11 by abracaDOBRA_

Cook couldn't get a tune out of a squad he built, Mckenna has. People seem to forget that, and that he hasn't bought in any of his own players. Imagine what he can do with a few of his own signings

He's made the defenders he inherited efficient in his system. Likewise, midfielders and wing backs. The same players that were regularly conceding two goals in a game.

He's sorted what was a massive issue and made us near impossible to score against and even harder to beat, whilst allowing us to still create plenty of chances.

Once he can get forwards that work in his system, which will likely free up the midfielders to change their roles slightly, we will be a very good side.

Unless of course McKenna is brilliant defensively and terrible in an attacking sense, which seems very unlikely, but would be the only reason not to be confident of him having a window to bring in the Walton, Morsy, Celina stature strikers.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 15:10]
All done without a decent or form striker on 15:05 - Apr 11 with 2509 viewsunstableblue

But let's be clear there is still a LOT MORE to do in our attacking play, out tempo and how we stretch teams to make space for a DECENT striker!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

All done without a decent or form striker on 15:08 - Apr 11 with 2524 viewsSTYG

All done without a decent or form striker on 15:05 - Apr 11 by unstableblue

But let's be clear there is still a LOT MORE to do in our attacking play, out tempo and how we stretch teams to make space for a DECENT striker!

There is.

But the fact is we are currently a side that would get promoted automatically half the time and be the highest placed playoff teams in every other season.

So whilst the attacking side needs to improve, it's not as if we have to dramatically improve it. Without improvement we might go straight up on the basis of the current performance. With even a modest increase we probably would and with anything above a modest increase we almost certainly would.

Of course, it's not that simple, but it just goes to show how close we already are, from Cook's mess and the team at Charlton four months ago that couldn't string a pass together.
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:13 - Apr 11 with 2502 viewsfooters

I'm honestly amazed at some of the comments I've seen over previous weeks regarding McKenna.

We have one of the best young coaches in the UK and we should be happy as a pig in proverbial he's chosen us as his first manager's job.

What we have seen since he's taken over is night and day in contrast to Cook. In fact, it's amazing that it's even the same squad at his disposal.

As far as I'm concerned he has carte blanche for the foreseeable for what he's been able to accomplish. Haven't been this excited as a Town fan since the Burley years and it's fantastic to be a part of.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:15 - Apr 11 with 2474 viewsDJR

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:13 - Apr 11 by footers

I'm honestly amazed at some of the comments I've seen over previous weeks regarding McKenna.

We have one of the best young coaches in the UK and we should be happy as a pig in proverbial he's chosen us as his first manager's job.

What we have seen since he's taken over is night and day in contrast to Cook. In fact, it's amazing that it's even the same squad at his disposal.

As far as I'm concerned he has carte blanche for the foreseeable for what he's been able to accomplish. Haven't been this excited as a Town fan since the Burley years and it's fantastic to be a part of.

I second that.
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:15 - Apr 11 with 2471 viewshype313

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:13 - Apr 11 by footers

Here Here.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:20 - Apr 11 with 2447 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Well said.
Login to get fewer ads

All done without a decent or form striker on 15:29 - Apr 11 with 2375 viewsFrimleyBlue

Which is pretty much all anyone has been saying isn't it.

It's not really doom and gloom just a handful of people not seeing everything as perfect which of course it's not.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:44 - Apr 11 with 2357 viewsGuthrum

My concern comparing things with previous seasons is that League One this time around has been extraordinary in both the strength of the top teams and the weakness of the bottom ones. The question follows, is this an outlier, an aberration, or is it the new normal?

Have the financially weaker teams been so damaged by the effects of the Covid Pandemic that they are unable to put up so much of a fight, thus making it easier for the more robust to reap points? Is this something they'll recover from, or will they eventually drop down and the stronger ones from L2 replace them over the next couple of seasons?

Will we be left with a situation where there will be as many teams as this season with unusually high points totals? I fully expect us to be in the mix with that, but it intensifies competition. We are currently 5th in the 19-game form table, some distance short of the automatics.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:48 - Apr 11 with 2322 viewsN2_Blue

Crazy isn't it.

I despair at 'some' of our fans sometimes. Anyone who thinks the club is not in a good place needs to think again.

People get too involved in stats and more stats and trying to fit them to make certain agendas. Anyone who has caught a little bit of live football under Mckenna knows we are are far better than anything that Lambert or Cook presided over.

A transfer window with Mckenna just to fine tune what is a very good squad could and should make all the difference.

There are no guarantees in football and auto promotion is difficult in any division and never a certainty.

We have failed to even make the playoffs pretty badly 3 seasons in a row. However I will be astonished if we do not comfortable finish inside the top 6 next season. I know we want more than that, and i expect we may get more that fingers crossed. Nothing under Mckenna suggests we are suffering the issues of Lambert/Cook etc.

Cambridge aside we've dominated teams even when we've not won all 3 points. Under cook and Lambert we 'stole' some games undeservedly and when we drew or lost we were generally getting what was deserved after having been outplayed. It's different now. Mckenna over a full season shows every sign of delivering.

What he achieved this season has been pretty impressive when you think of that Charlton performance, and had it not been for a freakish season with so many teams excelling he would have made the playoffs which would have been a great achievement.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:52 - Apr 11 with 2270 viewsFrimleyBlue

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:48 - Apr 11 by N2_Blue

Crazy isn't it.

I despair at 'some' of our fans sometimes. Anyone who thinks the club is not in a good place needs to think again.

People get too involved in stats and more stats and trying to fit them to make certain agendas. Anyone who has caught a little bit of live football under Mckenna knows we are are far better than anything that Lambert or Cook presided over.

A transfer window with Mckenna just to fine tune what is a very good squad could and should make all the difference.

There are no guarantees in football and auto promotion is difficult in any division and never a certainty.

We have failed to even make the playoffs pretty badly 3 seasons in a row. However I will be astonished if we do not comfortable finish inside the top 6 next season. I know we want more than that, and i expect we may get more that fingers crossed. Nothing under Mckenna suggests we are suffering the issues of Lambert/Cook etc.

Cambridge aside we've dominated teams even when we've not won all 3 points. Under cook and Lambert we 'stole' some games undeservedly and when we drew or lost we were generally getting what was deserved after having been outplayed. It's different now. Mckenna over a full season shows every sign of delivering.

What he achieved this season has been pretty impressive when you think of that Charlton performance, and had it not been for a freakish season with so many teams excelling he would have made the playoffs which would have been a great achievement.

"Nothing under Mckenna suggests we are suffering the issues of Lambert/Cook etc"

apart from the same goal scoring issues.

That's not being negative, that's just how it is.
I think we will go up next season. But after a handful of the current lineup are replaced imo, but I wouldn't say there's nothing similar to recent seasons when we are indeed struggling to score.

Waka waka eh eh

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:54 - Apr 11 with 2280 viewsitfcjoe

Think this post should be pinned
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 15:56]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:01 - Apr 11 with 2224 viewsitfcjoe

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 15:52 - Apr 11 by FrimleyBlue

"Nothing under Mckenna suggests we are suffering the issues of Lambert/Cook etc"

apart from the same goal scoring issues.

That's not being negative, that's just how it is.
I think we will go up next season. But after a handful of the current lineup are replaced imo, but I wouldn't say there's nothing similar to recent seasons when we are indeed struggling to score.

It’s like saying there is nothing different because we still play in blue.

Our defence has been incredible, there hasn’t been any part of our performances over the last few years that competes - and it has gone on for long enough to see it isn’t fluke or a statistical anomaly.

That Jackson is the striker that McK has got the biggest tune out of shows we simply don’t have the players for how he wants to play going forwards - anyone who can’t see where we are going is mad

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:08 - Apr 11 with 2161 viewsFrimleyBlue

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:01 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

It’s like saying there is nothing different because we still play in blue.

Our defence has been incredible, there hasn’t been any part of our performances over the last few years that competes - and it has gone on for long enough to see it isn’t fluke or a statistical anomaly.

That Jackson is the striker that McK has got the biggest tune out of shows we simply don’t have the players for how he wants to play going forwards - anyone who can’t see where we are going is mad

Last year we kept a large amount of cleansheets. The problem was when we tried to do both the goals went in the wrong end... slightly similar at present that we are keeping them out overall but not doing enough going forwards. I think it's fair to have that view. That doesn't mean it's not going to change and it doesn't mean overall the football isn't better. I agree with Footers that the football itself is probably the best seen since the Burley years in regards to some of the phases of play.. we just need that cutting edge
And cutting edge is indeed something we've spoken of for a few years. The different tho for Me is we are in a a better position financially and structurally to get it resolved before we start pre season friendlies.

Waka waka eh eh

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:12 - Apr 11 with 2170 viewsTresBonne

We have the most reactionary fanbase in the country, I am convinced. Both ways.

If we win a game, we're going to be in the Premier League in 5 seasons and McK is god.

If we lose, we're a mid table L1 team, McK is overrated, this player is sh*te, etc.
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:13 - Apr 11 with 2170 viewsSteve_M

Yes, but in the late 90s there was a persistent minority who thought Burley was a bottler and needed to be replaced. At the time we were about the fourth most successful clubs in the country in terms of points per game.

Some Ipswich fans will always be like that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:18 - Apr 11 with 2138 viewsfooters

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:13 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

Yes, but in the late 90s there was a persistent minority who thought Burley was a bottler and needed to be replaced. At the time we were about the fourth most successful clubs in the country in terms of points per game.

Some Ipswich fans will always be like that.

How about Neil Warnock?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:19 - Apr 11 with 2128 viewsclive_baker

You're spot on, and thanks for the good post. It's one of those where the numpties that need reminding of these things probably aren't worth the effort.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:45 - Apr 11 with 2035 viewsIllinoisblue

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:12 - Apr 11 by TresBonne

We have the most reactionary fanbase in the country, I am convinced. Both ways.

If we win a game, we're going to be in the Premier League in 5 seasons and McK is god.

If we lose, we're a mid table L1 team, McK is overrated, this player is sh*te, etc.

The idiocy is amplified by social media but ALL fans are somewhat insane

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

All done without a decent or form striker on 18:12 - Apr 11 with 1885 viewsNthQldITFC

To some extent, but in my opinion a lot of it is down to a vicious cycle up front of glaring misses and lost confidence and more glaring misses and more lost confidence, happening for at least two, maybe three of our strikers. It's kind of freakish how it's happened and there's not too much wrong apart from psychologically as far as I can see.

Whilst none of our strikers are ideal for what we need, each of them is decent enough in their own right, and in any normal situation we would have had one or two of them on decent veins of form at different stages during the season (in addition to Bonne at the start).

I'm sure there should and will be big turnover up front in the close season, and with the quality of management and staff we seem to have here now I'm convinced they'll get it right, but even if for some reason we started next year with the same mob, a decent break and some psychological work with them would surely not result in the same freakish dry periods next season.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 18:29 - Apr 11 with 1857 viewsLankHenners

Football is a cliched 'game of opinions' and as a result I don't really like the shutting down of anyone coming at something from a different angle or having a slight concern over something, but anyone who can't see the transformation we're going through and what McKenna's managed to do relative to the state of what he inherited doesn't know what they're talking about and isn't worth listening to.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 18:39 - Apr 11 with 1815 viewsHighgateBlue

We're about to play Rotherham and Wigan, which may affect the figures somewhat, but yes, overall you illustrate that our form under our current manager (right from the off and with no further gelling period) is promotion or at the very least playoff form. The fact that that still leaves us in 9th position may lead people to draw their own conclusions about the first half of the season, but I shall say no more about that.

Optimistic for next season, certainly.

COYB
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 19:06 - Apr 11 with 1697 viewspointofblue

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:45 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

The idiocy is amplified by social media but ALL fans are somewhat insane

Exactly. And I doubt even those who are most nervous about our slight slip in form, of which I am one, is saying anything along the lines of what is being put in our mouths either. McKenna has done a very good job but there are still issues which need sorting out - shot conversion, creation and set plays in particular.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

All done without a decent or form striker on 20:57 - Apr 11 with 1545 viewsBlueBadger

All done without a decent or form striker on 15:29 - Apr 11 by FrimleyBlue

Which is pretty much all anyone has been saying isn't it.

It's not really doom and gloom just a handful of people not seeing everything as perfect which of course it's not.

LOL

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024