Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazing isn’t it… 11:20 - Apr 17 with 3075 viewsKieran_Knows

… we spent last summer attracting players down from the Championship to play for us. We had players reject Championship clubs to sign for us. We’ve since appointed a manager with contacts at some of the best academies in the Premier League with an assistant manager who has contacts all over South America and yet we have some clowns on here who don’t think we can sign anyone better than Norwood.

Jesus wept.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing isn’t it… on 11:31 - Apr 17 with 2645 viewstimothyeo

This is slightly delusional.

With a season having fans back and covid losses now known, I expect championship clubs to be a bit more willing to spend this summer.

We also had the advantage last summer and still didn't sign better than Norwood then.

We're also now looking at a 4th season in League One, players aren't going to see us as a one-season stop until they're back in the championship.

We've also conversely got a manager with little to no experience of putting together a squad capable of getting promoted from the third tier backed up by evidence this season that he doesn't really know how to change a game.

Also, is the new EFL FFP coming into force for this summer? Because of our fanbase we will still be in a better position to spend than most in this division but far from easy.
Amazing isn’t it… on 12:13 - Apr 17 with 2537 viewsJimmy86

For me that's where some of our problems lie!! We are looking at championship level players in league 1... on paper we should smash the league, as our players should be superior in technical terms... league 1 is not a technical league.. in horse racing terms it would be like turning up to a donkey Derby on an Arab thoroughbred... could the Arab thoroughbred deal with the shingle on Blackpool beach?! 🤣🤣

It's also a mentality thing, we've had such a weak mentality for an awfully long time, we need 11 winners on the pitch.. a lot is spoken of Sam Morsy and his mentality.. we need 11 Sam Morsy's, he should be the norm instead of the exception
Amazing isn’t it… on 14:28 - Apr 17 with 2369 viewsBlueBadger

Amazing isn’t it… on 12:13 - Apr 17 by Jimmy86

For me that's where some of our problems lie!! We are looking at championship level players in league 1... on paper we should smash the league, as our players should be superior in technical terms... league 1 is not a technical league.. in horse racing terms it would be like turning up to a donkey Derby on an Arab thoroughbred... could the Arab thoroughbred deal with the shingle on Blackpool beach?! 🤣🤣

It's also a mentality thing, we've had such a weak mentality for an awfully long time, we need 11 winners on the pitch.. a lot is spoken of Sam Morsy and his mentality.. we need 11 Sam Morsy's, he should be the norm instead of the exception

Christ alive. Again, for the slow of thinking - the idea that good championship players won't improve the team is laughable.

Our team captain is a Good Championship Player and we considerably weaker without him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:39 - Apr 17 with 2341 viewstextbackup

painful isnt it.

still worries me that jackson will be kept on, however, im willing to trust KMc on that, because he knows 289886475950 time more about football than me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:39 - Apr 17 with 2336 viewsJ2BLUE

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:28 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

Christ alive. Again, for the slow of thinking - the idea that good championship players won't improve the team is laughable.

Our team captain is a Good Championship Player and we considerably weaker without him.

Absolutely. Can kind of see the argument for a couple of grizzled league one veterans who graduated from the school of sh1thousery though. Don't expect to see it as that doesn't seem McKenna's style.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 14:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:41 - Apr 17 with 2332 viewsitfcjoe

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:39 - Apr 17 by textbackup

painful isnt it.

still worries me that jackson will be kept on, however, im willing to trust KMc on that, because he knows 289886475950 time more about football than me

Jackson is a pure athlete, fact McK so happy with him makes me think he’s the sort of player we’ll be after in the summer - but technically better whixh isn’t going to come cheap

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:43 - Apr 17 with 2318 viewstextbackup

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:41 - Apr 17 by itfcjoe

Jackson is a pure athlete, fact McK so happy with him makes me think he’s the sort of player we’ll be after in the summer - but technically better whixh isn’t going to come cheap

might as well just say fck it, break the bank for Johnnos boy...... so what if forest end up going up!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:56 - Apr 17 with 2265 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kinda have a point

But also. We've signed a lwb who's turned out worse at attacking than penney and a midfielder who scores less than our other midfielder..

You can see why some may wait to see who we get before saying they're an improvement on norwood.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 14:56]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:57 - Apr 17 with 2266 viewsjeera

Amazing isn’t it… on 11:31 - Apr 17 by timothyeo

This is slightly delusional.

With a season having fans back and covid losses now known, I expect championship clubs to be a bit more willing to spend this summer.

We also had the advantage last summer and still didn't sign better than Norwood then.

We're also now looking at a 4th season in League One, players aren't going to see us as a one-season stop until they're back in the championship.

We've also conversely got a manager with little to no experience of putting together a squad capable of getting promoted from the third tier backed up by evidence this season that he doesn't really know how to change a game.

Also, is the new EFL FFP coming into force for this summer? Because of our fanbase we will still be in a better position to spend than most in this division but far from easy.

Are you sure you're a Town fan?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Amazing isn’t it… on 15:23 - Apr 17 with 2198 viewsBlueBadger

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:39 - Apr 17 by J2BLUE

Absolutely. Can kind of see the argument for a couple of grizzled league one veterans who graduated from the school of sh1thousery though. Don't expect to see it as that doesn't seem McKenna's style.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 14:41]

There are very few pure footballing teams that succeed constantly, even at the top level.

Even Arsenal's Invincibles had the likes of Viera, Keown, Parlour and even Bergkamp who could, at worst, look after themselves a bit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Amazing isn’t it… on 15:29 - Apr 17 with 2168 viewsJimmy86

Amazing isn’t it… on 14:28 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

So, why are we falling so far short then?! Explain with your superior football knowledge.. yes on paper championship standard players are better than league 1 cloggers... yet in a game like yesterday where they turn it into a slog, we went to complete and utter sh1t... my point is that whilst on paper these players should be head and shoulders above league 1 players, some are found wanting if the game doesn't go to our possession based game.. need to be able to adapt to the dark arts, or more long ball/physical type of game we saw yesterday..

Not that hard to understand surely?!
Amazing isn’t it… on 15:33 - Apr 17 with 2139 viewsFrimleyBlue

Amazing isn’t it… on 15:29 - Apr 17 by Jimmy86

So, why are we falling so far short then?! Explain with your superior football knowledge.. yes on paper championship standard players are better than league 1 cloggers... yet in a game like yesterday where they turn it into a slog, we went to complete and utter sh1t... my point is that whilst on paper these players should be head and shoulders above league 1 players, some are found wanting if the game doesn't go to our possession based game.. need to be able to adapt to the dark arts, or more long ball/physical type of game we saw yesterday..

Chaplin scored 4 goals last season in the champ 34 games
Celina 0 goals last season in 31 games

And we wonder why they aren't scoring enough for us.

Might be higher level signings. But not great figures.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Amazing isn’t it… on 15:33 - Apr 17 with 2149 viewsJimmy86

Amazing isn’t it… on 15:23 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

There are very few pure footballing teams that succeed constantly, even at the top level.

Even Arsenal's Invincibles had the likes of Viera, Keown, Parlour and even Bergkamp who could, at worst, look after themselves a bit.

And that was the point I was trying to make with my earlier post... all well and good signing these championship quality players, but if they aren't capable of having a scrap in this type of league it's absolutely pointless them being technically superior.. need a good mix, but apparently that makes me thick...
Amazing isn’t it… on 16:10 - Apr 17 with 2036 viewsLeoMuff

Thing is it’s very difficult to attract these players, no one’s keen on dropping levels,some of the ones we persuaded had a close relationship with Cook which swung things.

When it’s comes to strikers it’s even tougher, they come at a premium, prem and champ club stockpile them, Norwood for his faults scores at this level, anyone else coming from even a higher level is a gamble look ar Bonne from the championship for example.

I don’t think working with premier league academies makes much odds either way, may mean we get a decent loan or buy, may mean we get Louie Barry.

Not saying we won’t pick up what we want/need but I’m afraid you are a clown if you think it’s nailed on.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Amazing isn’t it… on 16:30 - Apr 17 with 1934 viewsMullet

Marcus, then Paul, then Paul and especially this season; Paul.

Fairly easy to see isn't it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Amazing isn’t it… on 16:49 - Apr 17 with 1856 viewsJimmy86

Amazing isn’t it… on 16:30 - Apr 17 by Mullet

Marcus, then Paul, then Paul and especially this season; Paul.

Fairly easy to see isn't it?

Is Mckenna not showing the same rigid approach the way Cook did though? For someone who seemingly is so adaptable he hasn't moved too far away from the system and tactics he has deployed so far... alright when it works in our favour (teams who sit off for example) but teams like Rotherham, who are physical and get in our faces, he didn't have the answer, which for a rookie manager I'm fine with, as he will learn from it
Amazing isn’t it… on 16:58 - Apr 17 with 1804 viewsMullet

Amazing isn’t it… on 16:49 - Apr 17 by Jimmy86

Is Mckenna not showing the same rigid approach the way Cook did though? For someone who seemingly is so adaptable he hasn't moved too far away from the system and tactics he has deployed so far... alright when it works in our favour (teams who sit off for example) but teams like Rotherham, who are physical and get in our faces, he didn't have the answer, which for a rookie manager I'm fine with, as he will learn from it

Not really. He's playing the hand he's been dealt. Retrofitting the season since he took over based on a game where the season is over and we've got a dearth of CBs and fit and available in a squad established with 3 at the back doesn't mean much.

Changing it for a game is possible, but likewise he might have wanted to see what several of yesterday's players have about them before making a decision. If he changes it and loses the same people would be bemoaning that too.

Ultimately this sh1t the bed approach to defeats from fans is pretty pointless. We all know results aren't going to change our fate, so defining much based on yesterday or even since Cambridge is lopsided.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Amazing isn’t it… on 19:34 - Apr 17 with 1597 viewsBlueBadger

Look who's agreeing with you lad. That's how wrong you are.

Amazing isn’t it… on 21:39 - Apr 17 with 1382 viewsJimmy86

Amazing isn’t it… on 19:34 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

Look who's agreeing with you lad. That's how wrong you are.

What I'm saying is that I agreed with an earlier point you made about being able to mix it up and getting the balance right... buying championship quality players in league 1 should have been enough to get us out of league 1, so the question remains, why have we fallen short the way we have?
Amazing isn’t it… on 21:57 - Apr 17 with 1303 viewspointofblue

Amazing isn’t it… on 21:39 - Apr 17 by Jimmy86

What I'm saying is that I agreed with an earlier point you made about being able to mix it up and getting the balance right... buying championship quality players in league 1 should have been enough to get us out of league 1, so the question remains, why have we fallen short the way we have?

Because we don't have enough fight in the team. Too many players who are strong at the technical side but can't cope with a physical game. Admittedly we're missing Edmundson and Evans, who cope better with that approach.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Amazing isn’t it… on 22:34 - Apr 17 with 1196 viewsjayessess

Why is "mixing it up", "not physical enough" always the first place people go when we don't win?

Of the teams above us I'd say only Rotherham and Wycombe are noticeably rougher and more direct than we are and we handled the latter just fine.

But MK Dons, Oxford, Plymouth, Wigan, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday didn't look any more robust than we are. Most of them are above us because they didn't spend the first half of the season constantly dropping points against bottom half opposition.

I also don't know why people have the idea that the Championship is full of technically-skilled waifs unable to handle the rigours of League One.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Amazing isn’t it… on 22:46 - Apr 17 with 1174 viewsmarchy

Because the quality of strikers we brought in is nothing like the quality of everything else.
Amazing isn’t it… on 22:57 - Apr 17 with 1140 viewsLankHenners

Amazing isn’t it… on 22:34 - Apr 17 by jayessess

Why is "mixing it up", "not physical enough" always the first place people go when we don't win?

Of the teams above us I'd say only Rotherham and Wycombe are noticeably rougher and more direct than we are and we handled the latter just fine.

But MK Dons, Oxford, Plymouth, Wigan, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday didn't look any more robust than we are. Most of them are above us because they didn't spend the first half of the season constantly dropping points against bottom half opposition.

I also don't know why people have the idea that the Championship is full of technically-skilled waifs unable to handle the rigours of League One.

Plus people making this argument conveniently leave out the home game vs Accrington under McKenna where the opponent is about as stereotypical a 'physical league one' side as you can get. We fielded a relatively small team with the belief that our way of playing would trump whatever they threw at us, we had to fight back from a goal down and ended up winning.

It was a good example of how to beat those sorts of teams without resorting to trying to match them physically in any way. It won't work every time (like every team in the league will have games where things won't work for them) but how anyone can look at what McKenna's done since coming in and not see that his methods are worth persevering with to perfect them is madness.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Amazing isn’t it… on 23:19 - Apr 17 with 1076 viewsbroncos77

Amazing isn’t it… on 22:57 - Apr 17 by LankHenners

Plus people making this argument conveniently leave out the home game vs Accrington under McKenna where the opponent is about as stereotypical a 'physical league one' side as you can get. We fielded a relatively small team with the belief that our way of playing would trump whatever they threw at us, we had to fight back from a goal down and ended up winning.

It was a good example of how to beat those sorts of teams without resorting to trying to match them physically in any way. It won't work every time (like every team in the league will have games where things won't work for them) but how anyone can look at what McKenna's done since coming in and not see that his methods are worth persevering with to perfect them is madness.

Signing players from the league above doesn't guarantee success; it needs the right attitude

If you disparage the likes of Accrington (see Morsy's comments) or Cambridge ('we've got so much better players than them') and think 'we're a big club with the best squad , and shouldn't be down here' when starting the season against 'small' Morecambe, these teams will get in your face and enjoy turning you over and employing some of the dark arts you think you are 'above'

We better sign someone in midfield prepared to compete against the likes of Rathbone, O'Keefe and Camps, who've been successfully slugging it out at this level for a while

So the orig posters point is right that we need a 'mix'; lets look at the attitude of the new signings as well as their paper ability; anyone who says 'we dont want to be playing at Forest Green or Cheltenham ever again' will be a disaster

On that logic I'd let Morsy and Celina go (back to where they seem to think they belong)

The only barrier to playoff or better next season will be 'complacency'; lets hope McK sees that and doesn't get complacent himself - the jury's out
Amazing isn’t it… on 23:22 - Apr 17 with 1072 viewsjayessess

Amazing isn’t it… on 22:57 - Apr 17 by LankHenners

It's just the standard repertoire whenever we have a bad spell.

"We need 2 strikers!"
"We're not streetwise!"
"We're getting bullied!"

If we don't finish the season strongly, we'll no doubt be onto the old fave:
"The players don't care!"
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 23:28]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024