Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frustrating end to the season..... 21:52 - Apr 23 with 5074 viewsitfcjoe

....lets a hope a positive is that it ensures McKenna leaves no stone unturned in improving things - and that players who shouldn't be here next season haven't earned a stay of reprieve by turning up in some dead rubbers.

Lots to do this summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:14 - Apr 23 with 2870 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ashton will be feeling the pressure and rightly so, season not gone to plan. Miles off the play offs again.

However, progress off the pitch and we seem to now have the right manager. BIG transfer window and pre-season ahead.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:26 - Apr 23 with 2830 viewsdavblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:14 - Apr 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Ashton will be feeling the pressure and rightly so, season not gone to plan. Miles off the play offs again.

However, progress off the pitch and we seem to now have the right manager. BIG transfer window and pre-season ahead.

I know we are miles off the play offs on points but we aren’t that far away on the pitch as daft as that sounds, I think the foundations have been laid this season, for us to improve next season.

I went to the Wycombe v Sheffield Wednesday game today and it was such a poor game, Wycombe snuffed Wednesday’s attacking threat totally and Wycombe scored a decent goal and shut the game off like they do but neither team talent wise are better than us, what they both are, are more effective at what they do than us, more streetwise.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:29 - Apr 23 with 2803 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:26 - Apr 23 by davblue

I know we are miles off the play offs on points but we aren’t that far away on the pitch as daft as that sounds, I think the foundations have been laid this season, for us to improve next season.

I went to the Wycombe v Sheffield Wednesday game today and it was such a poor game, Wycombe snuffed Wednesday’s attacking threat totally and Wycombe scored a decent goal and shut the game off like they do but neither team talent wise are better than us, what they both are, are more effective at what they do than us, more streetwise.

I agree, after the PC disaster things have improved under KM.

Poor end to the season, but seems to be the right man.

But in terms of Mark Ashtons pre season objectives, he's not likely to have met many.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:34 - Apr 23 with 2801 viewsPinewoodblue

On 1st December we were 11th in the League
Table from 1st December we are 10th in the League

I know it has been an unusual season and teams will need over 80 points to make the play offs but is still disappointing to see us, with just one game to play in the same league position as we were four months ago.

I honestly thought when KMc was appointed that lowest acceptable final position would be 9th but we will, it seems, fall short of that.

We really need to sort our attack it is letting everyone down. Hopefully the retained list will be known soon after the season ends, that will give us some idea where we intend to strengthen.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Frustrating end to the season..... on 23:25 - Apr 23 with 2702 viewsjayessess

On 1st April I thought we were in pretty good shape, wherever we ultimately ended up, but gotta say, feeling a lot less confident about next year than I was.

Still think we'll show up with a stronger, better drilled squad than we did last August and hopefully we won't have already kneecapped ourselves before the nights draw in. Still, there's going to be a lot of traffic in this division and it's hard to tell what we'll be like at this point.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Frustrating end to the season..... on 01:43 - Apr 24 with 2577 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

you got to be tough to follow this team. Strong will and character.

I couldn't abide McCarthy but he got us to a play-off finish (even if the remainder of it were near total garbage) Other than that haven't been caught up in an end of season finish since 2004-05 at least in terms of hope or what could be. Sometimes wonder what may have come to pass if Royle had stayed on that little bit longer but it's all rather hypothetical now.

Author says there's lots to do this summer, what more than one year back. Can't remember so much activity within the club that took place between June and August but pity is there's been no real end product from it.

McKenna had done well, there can be no question but truth is, got to feel disappointed with again what could or should have been, and like it or not, this season HAS met with failure.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 01:54 - Apr 24 with 2564 viewspointofblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 23:25 - Apr 23 by jayessess

On 1st April I thought we were in pretty good shape, wherever we ultimately ended up, but gotta say, feeling a lot less confident about next year than I was.

Still think we'll show up with a stronger, better drilled squad than we did last August and hopefully we won't have already kneecapped ourselves before the nights draw in. Still, there's going to be a lot of traffic in this division and it's hard to tell what we'll be like at this point.

The last month has hit me hard, I have to admit. The rate we have shot backwards with poor performances coming in quick succession and empty platitudes coming out of the club once again… it feels like we’re back to the end of the Paul Cook era. At least we were able to beat Crewe under him.

Unfair? Yes. Just feeling tired and bitter at the moment. Need a convincing performance and win against Charlton for it not to feel like a deflating summer wondering if we’re just making the same mistakes again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 02:26 - Apr 24 with 2534 viewsdavblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:29 - Apr 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree, after the PC disaster things have improved under KM.

Poor end to the season, but seems to be the right man.

But in terms of Mark Ashtons pre season objectives, he's not likely to have met many.

I was never one who thought we would steam roller the league not with the wholesale changes we made, I thought play offs were a realistic target for this season. Wigan have done it which I’m will be the counter argument but it’s hard to do what they’ve done.

Where are we for next season? Play offs have to be made no excuses at a minimum, we are a more stable club now and at a much better starting position than last year. Will be a tough one to get automatic promotion with who’s come down so far.
Login to get fewer ads

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:17 - Apr 24 with 2411 viewshype313

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:26 - Apr 23 by davblue

15 draws has really hurt us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:07 - Apr 24 with 2312 viewsChurchman

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:17 - Apr 24 by hype313

15 draws has really hurt us.

15 draws and a woeful start of 3 points from 18 killed us. As was said at the time, few teams ‘do a Blackpool’ and recover from that.

Interestingly, we have lost 3 less hames than last year, particularly at home where we lost 6 and were played off the pitch in each and every one of them. In the away losses we were given good hidings at Donny, Gillingham, Wimbledon and Northampton.

This season we were well beaten by Rotherham and SW away. The rest, we were the better team more often that not. Goals. We are not finishing games. Nor do we score from dead ball situations. This is what needs addressing. General play and defence, we have the basis of a good side.

The ‘here we go again’ ‘no free hits’ brigade will claim we are no better than last year. That the changes off the field have made no difference. I disagree. We are a long way from 12 months ago with a long way to go.

Bring in a new manager and churn the players is very exciting but hasn’t worked and nor will it. It’s ok to make mistakes but to keep repeating them is plain stupid. Give KM a little more time than 5 months with somebody else’s chaos of a team and have a little faith is how I see it.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:19 - Apr 24 with 2283 viewsDJR

Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:07 - Apr 24 by Churchman

15 draws and a woeful start of 3 points from 18 killed us. As was said at the time, few teams ‘do a Blackpool’ and recover from that.

Interestingly, we have lost 3 less hames than last year, particularly at home where we lost 6 and were played off the pitch in each and every one of them. In the away losses we were given good hidings at Donny, Gillingham, Wimbledon and Northampton.

This season we were well beaten by Rotherham and SW away. The rest, we were the better team more often that not. Goals. We are not finishing games. Nor do we score from dead ball situations. This is what needs addressing. General play and defence, we have the basis of a good side.

The ‘here we go again’ ‘no free hits’ brigade will claim we are no better than last year. That the changes off the field have made no difference. I disagree. We are a long way from 12 months ago with a long way to go.

Bring in a new manager and churn the players is very exciting but hasn’t worked and nor will it. It’s ok to make mistakes but to keep repeating them is plain stupid. Give KM a little more time than 5 months with somebody else’s chaos of a team and have a little faith is how I see it.

Agreed. Whilst yesterday was disappointing, let's not forget the Wigan game where we were great. Admittedly we are not the finished article but with a few acquisitions over the summer, I think things are definitely on the up. And we can trust that McKenna will know the type of players we need, rather than last summer where it seemed a case of acquiring players on a kiddy in a sweetshop basis.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 8:20]
Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:28 - Apr 24 with 2254 viewsChurchman

Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:19 - Apr 24 by DJR

Agreed. Whilst yesterday was disappointing, let's not forget the Wigan game where we were great. Admittedly we are not the finished article but with a few acquisitions over the summer, I think things are definitely on the up. And we can trust that McKenna will know the type of players we need, rather than last summer where it seemed a case of acquiring players on a kiddy in a sweetshop basis.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 8:20]

We didn’t so much build a team as try and buy a bunch of players, chuck them together and hope for the best. There was no discernible pattern to it. At least this summer there should be.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:46 - Apr 24 with 2222 viewsGuthrum

Frustrating end to the season..... on 02:26 - Apr 24 by davblue

I was never one who thought we would steam roller the league not with the wholesale changes we made, I thought play offs were a realistic target for this season. Wigan have done it which I’m will be the counter argument but it’s hard to do what they’ve done.

Where are we for next season? Play offs have to be made no excuses at a minimum, we are a more stable club now and at a much better starting position than last year. Will be a tough one to get automatic promotion with who’s come down so far.

As Alex Mathie said yesterday, we need to get off to a strong start to next season.

In a hypthetical world where we'd been in the top six but Cook had still been replaced by McKenna when he was, there is a very good chance we'd be in the play-offs now. The fact we'd fallen so far behind was what, in the end, made it impossible to catch up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:02 - Apr 24 with 2202 viewsIllinoisblue

I’m hoping this poor run serves as a wake-up call to the manager and the fans. We are firmly midtable and struggle to score goals or see out games. No matter what happens in the summer not convinced next season will be as easy as some think it is going to be.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:05 - Apr 24 with 2181 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Frustrating end to the season..... on 02:26 - Apr 24 by davblue

Not many expecting a steam roller, we had all the gelling excuses.

I did expect more than solid mid table without seriously troubling the playoffs.

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:11 - Apr 24 with 2160 viewsGuthrum

Lots to do, yes. But I don't think that's entirely about signing players.

Certainly we need changes on the left and up top, but, for me, that's five or six, not a dozen or more.

What also really needs looking at is tactics and philosophy. The defence is pretty solid, conceding 0.55 goals per game since 20th Dec (by some margin the best in the division over that period). We have also mastered passing and moving to get the ball up into the opponents' area. But the thing which is missing is turning that position to shots on target and goals often enough.

Too often this season we see an attack move into a strong position, then recycle the ball out wide or backwards. We always seem to be wanting to manufacture a perfect cross-and-shot/header combination, rather than simply taking a chance from further out. Watching the Quest highlights, a lot of L1 goals seem to be scored by the latter method. I feel we should be trying the same.

That may require a change of personnel, but also training the players so they have an instinct for shooting. Even through crowded penalty areas - that can lead to all sorts of things, deflections, corners, penalties, goalmouth scrambles, followed-up rebounds.

Corners are another thing. We can't afford to be earning so many and wasting all of them. That also comes down to drill.

I'm more looking forward to what McKenna can achieve in pre-season than what the club delivers in the window.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 9:22]

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:19 - Apr 24 with 2129 viewsVeggie

Who are you referring to with regard to turning up in dead rubbers? Hopefully not Chaplin, as I think he’s one of our best players and probably our best finisher.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:20 - Apr 24 with 2123 viewsurbanblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:11 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Lots to do, yes. But I don't think that's entirely about signing players.

Certainly we need changes on the left and up top, but, for me, that's five or six, not a dozen or more.

What also really needs looking at is tactics and philosophy. The defence is pretty solid, conceding 0.55 goals per game since 20th Dec (by some margin the best in the division over that period). We have also mastered passing and moving to get the ball up into the opponents' area. But the thing which is missing is turning that position to shots on target and goals often enough.

Too often this season we see an attack move into a strong position, then recycle the ball out wide or backwards. We always seem to be wanting to manufacture a perfect cross-and-shot/header combination, rather than simply taking a chance from further out. Watching the Quest highlights, a lot of L1 goals seem to be scored by the latter method. I feel we should be trying the same.

That may require a change of personnel, but also training the players so they have an instinct for shooting. Even through crowded penalty areas - that can lead to all sorts of things, deflections, corners, penalties, goalmouth scrambles, followed-up rebounds.

Corners are another thing. We can't afford to be earning so many and wasting all of them. That also comes down to drill.

I'm more looking forward to what McKenna can achieve in pre-season than what the club delivers in the window.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 9:22]

Our shots yesterday were more like passes to their keeper. Not sure what was going on there but quite bizarre.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:24 - Apr 24 with 2105 viewsDavoIPB

Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:07 - Apr 24 by Churchman

Totally agree. We are a much better side despite the league position. Despite not getting results we have been the better side than most of the teams in this league. Much better than Wigan! They just had Keane who single handedly got them a point. He is a similar player to pigott except with good touch and ability to score goals.

Think it's going to be play offs next year. If we get a couple of strikers.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:26 - Apr 24 with 2090 viewsGuthrum

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:20 - Apr 24 by urbanblue

Our shots yesterday were more like passes to their keeper. Not sure what was going on there but quite bizarre.

A confidence thing, perhaps? Maybe fearing that really leathering it will send the ball off target?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:27 - Apr 24 with 2083 viewstextbackup

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:14 - Apr 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

For me Ashton acted as soon as he reasonably could with sacking PC

He gave the man a fair crack at it, identified it needed changing, acted, and has brought in a quality manager.

Whilst there have been a few iffy results of late I’m sure KMc smashes the arse out of the closed season/pre season… and we hit the ground running next year

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:35 - Apr 24 with 2052 viewsurbanblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:26 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

A confidence thing, perhaps? Maybe fearing that really leathering it will send the ball off target?

I actually think they all appeared a bit tired and jaded yesterday. That's why I'm not worrying too much like many on here. Typical 'on the beach' performance from some of them. I also think McKenna may have been having one more look at two or three, maybe more, of them before end of season decisions. Some may have known that so played it too safe.

I really would have liked to see Cheiwara given a run. Bringing Bonne on with 4 minutes to go was a strange decision.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:42 - Apr 24 with 2036 viewsjayessess

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:02 - Apr 24 by Illinoisblue

I’m hoping this poor run serves as a wake-up call to the manager and the fans. We are firmly midtable and struggle to score goals or see out games. No matter what happens in the summer not convinced next season will be as easy as some think it is going to be.

Fans can't really do anything about anything, so I'm not sure why they need a wake up call?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:43 - Apr 24 with 2024 viewsGuthrum

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:35 - Apr 24 by urbanblue

I actually think they all appeared a bit tired and jaded yesterday. That's why I'm not worrying too much like many on here. Typical 'on the beach' performance from some of them. I also think McKenna may have been having one more look at two or three, maybe more, of them before end of season decisions. Some may have known that so played it too safe.

I really would have liked to see Cheiwara given a run. Bringing Bonne on with 4 minutes to go was a strange decision.

I think if we'd been two goals up, rather than just one (or level), we'd have seen Chirewa. Bonne was just an attempt to win the game in added time.

Frustrating end to the season..... on 10:09 - Apr 24 with 1947 viewsbluefunk

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:34 - Apr 23 by Pinewoodblue

On 1st December we were 11th in the League
Table from 1st December we are 10th in the League

I know it has been an unusual season and teams will need over 80 points to make the play offs but is still disappointing to see us, with just one game to play in the same league position as we were four months ago.

I honestly thought when KMc was appointed that lowest acceptable final position would be 9th but we will, it seems, fall short of that.

We really need to sort our attack it is letting everyone down. Hopefully the retained list will be known soon after the season ends, that will give us some idea where we intend to strengthen.

Why December 1st? KMc took charge from Wycombe at home , and we are 8th in the table from that point one point from 6th, despite our poor April.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024