Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frustrating end to the season..... 21:52 - Apr 23 with 5061 viewsitfcjoe

....lets a hope a positive is that it ensures McKenna leaves no stone unturned in improving things - and that players who shouldn't be here next season haven't earned a stay of reprieve by turning up in some dead rubbers.

Lots to do this summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 14:37 - Apr 24 with 1064 viewsKieran_Knows

Frustrating end to the season..... on 14:04 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

Lots of people get annoyed when this simple fact is pointed out. It’ll be 8 at minimum and prob more like 10 but at least we have a solid core of 10 or so players here now so hopefully it won’t look quite as janky early in the season.

You’d be mad to think otherwise IMO.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Frustrating end to the season..... on 14:43 - Apr 24 with 1041 viewsSteve_M

Frustrating end to the season..... on 13:58 - Apr 24 by LankHenners

Why does it have to be so black and white? It’s going to get incredibly tedious if every disappointing result or iffy run of form is met with thinly (or not at all) veiled suggestions that he’s failing or making us worse etc. accompanied with general doom and gloom.

He came in and immediately stopped us conceding which allowed us to win games by a narrow margin, then for what could be a variety of reasons (injuries, the mental switch going from ‘lots of games to play for’ to ‘we need to win almost every game now’, a drop off in intensity with the season done) we haven’t quite replicated that consistently since. We’ve still only conceded more than once in a game twice under McKenna, and the main issue has shifted, generally, from ‘being bullied and out fought every week’ to ‘not doing enough to make sure we don’t end up on the wrong side of fine-margin moments’. That’s a much healthier position to be in and, to me at least, it seems McKenna is very aware of what he needs to do and I’m sure he’s absolutely relishing the opportunity for a proper pre-season.

The other thing that I think is getting missed is that the recent drop off in performance is - Cambridge aside- mainly in away matches. That doesn’t really excuse yesterday but it’s not quite an across the board failing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Frustrating end to the season..... on 17:23 - Apr 24 with 955 viewsTheBlueGnu

the biggest thing to sort out is to stop being pussies when we are winning a game and actually do what other teams do - shut up shop and p1ss off the opposition with time-wasting tactics. And, to stop trying to play premier league football in League 1.

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 19:00 - Apr 24 with 924 viewsIllinoisblue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:42 - Apr 24 by jayessess

Fans can't really do anything about anything, so I'm not sure why they need a wake up call?

Stop posting hms piss the league memes?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 21:42 - Apr 24 with 870 viewsBigCommon

It's not a 1 season project.. So why the frustration??.... Ashton made it quite clear, after a few months here. How poorly run the club had been , from top to bottom.... Squad clear out, staff recruitment, land purchase, community trust re-kindled.. Growing crowds and season ticket sales..etc etc.. Whilst all the time trying to be connected to the supporters through interviews and fans forums.... Can't have imagine any of this , just over 1year ago.. There is so much hard work being done throughout the club.. Whilst so many plates are being spun . I find it hard to make too harsh a judgement, at this moment in time. Or feel any frustration at all.... Bought a season ticket for next season. For the first time in 15 years. I usually get to about 8-10 games a season. Doubt I'll get to every home game with the ST next year.. But wanted to show some appreciation towards the club. For all they are doing for the fans and community.....
Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:54 - Apr 24 with 850 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:11 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Lots to do, yes. But I don't think that's entirely about signing players.

Certainly we need changes on the left and up top, but, for me, that's five or six, not a dozen or more.

What also really needs looking at is tactics and philosophy. The defence is pretty solid, conceding 0.55 goals per game since 20th Dec (by some margin the best in the division over that period). We have also mastered passing and moving to get the ball up into the opponents' area. But the thing which is missing is turning that position to shots on target and goals often enough.

Too often this season we see an attack move into a strong position, then recycle the ball out wide or backwards. We always seem to be wanting to manufacture a perfect cross-and-shot/header combination, rather than simply taking a chance from further out. Watching the Quest highlights, a lot of L1 goals seem to be scored by the latter method. I feel we should be trying the same.

That may require a change of personnel, but also training the players so they have an instinct for shooting. Even through crowded penalty areas - that can lead to all sorts of things, deflections, corners, penalties, goalmouth scrambles, followed-up rebounds.

Corners are another thing. We can't afford to be earning so many and wasting all of them. That also comes down to drill.

I'm more looking forward to what McKenna can achieve in pre-season than what the club delivers in the window.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 9:22]

100%. I've been saying for a while that we don't shoot enough.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:14 - Apr 25 with 778 viewsFrimleyBlue

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:54 - Apr 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

100%. I've been saying for a while that we don't shoot enough.

Didn't KM say recently that we started to take pot shots and that's not what he wants?

Pot shots tbh are great to see. You never know what might happen with a rebound or a bounce in front of the keeper. Imo

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:48 - Apr 25 with 761 viewsBigCommon

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:14 - Apr 25 by FrimleyBlue

Didn't KM say recently that we started to take pot shots and that's not what he wants?

Pot shots tbh are great to see. You never know what might happen with a rebound or a bounce in front of the keeper. Imo

I'd say that KM's thinking , is that, 9 times out of 10 ,a pot shot , just leads to, , conceding possession.... The stats probably back that up... He likes to play "keep ball"... Same reason our keeper rarely punts it...
Login to get fewer ads

Frustrating end to the season..... on 08:47 - Apr 25 with 739 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Frustrating end to the season..... on 11:08 - Apr 24 by FrimleyBlue

We are further away from the top 6 since PC got sacked. With only 1 club having a game in hand at that point.

You have a point regarding not his team etc. But it's not an inexpensive squad to choose from and even Wycombs manager didn't understand how we have failed to make the most of the strikers available to us.

Every club above us bar one had a game in hand when McKenna was appointed, and some had 2

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:26 - Apr 25 with 687 viewsNthQldITFC

Frustrating end to the season..... on 22:26 - Apr 23 by davblue

I know we are miles off the play offs on points but we aren’t that far away on the pitch as daft as that sounds, I think the foundations have been laid this season, for us to improve next season.

I went to the Wycombe v Sheffield Wednesday game today and it was such a poor game, Wycombe snuffed Wednesday’s attacking threat totally and Wycombe scored a decent goal and shut the game off like they do but neither team talent wise are better than us, what they both are, are more effective at what they do than us, more streetwise.

That first paragraph is so important for people to grasp. It's easy to just focus on the points gap and say "we're miles away again, boo-hoo", but the important point is that with an effective striker (and at least one effective deputy) we'll be a great team at this level.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:55 - Apr 25 with 658 viewstractorboy1978

Frustrating end to the season..... on 09:26 - Apr 25 by NthQldITFC

That first paragraph is so important for people to grasp. It's easy to just focus on the points gap and say "we're miles away again, boo-hoo", but the important point is that with an effective striker (and at least one effective deputy) we'll be a great team at this level.

We have a strong, solid, stable back end of the team. Barring injuries I think we can say with some certainty we will be lining up with Walton, Donacien, Woolfy, Edmundson, Morsy, Burns as 6 of the 'back 7'.

A lot can change in a summer with new signings and pre-season. This time last year, people said MK Dons were a side that had possession without a punch and now look at them. We need to find that punch over the summer. Once we do, we will be very hard to contain and get a result against.
Frustrating end to the season..... on 14:22 - Apr 25 with 553 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Frustrating end to the season..... on 07:14 - Apr 25 by FrimleyBlue

Depends what you mean by pot shot! I wouldn't want us having a go willy-nilly, just a bit more bravery than we currently show (rather than overplaying while looking for the perfect opportunity). If the playing around ends up coming to nothing anyway then all you've done is wasted time.

As with anything it's about getting the right balance and I feel like we're too far on the side of caution at the moment. Particularly in League 1, where the keepers and pitches won't be as good as at a higher level.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Frustrating end to the season..... on 17:12 - Apr 25 with 473 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Interested to know how much you think is 'a lot'.

I don't think another wholesale rebuild is a good idea.

That'd probably have us go nowhere fast again.

I think a few judicious signings might see us right.

I think the goalscoring malaise is not really a striker issue.

I've heard people say and read on here we need a forward(s) who only need 1 chance to score.

THERE ARE NO SUCH FORWARDS AT THIS LEVEL.

It's why the forwards we have are at this level.

What we need is more variety in attack. To be fair our forwards in the last third of the season have been feeding off scraps.

I think the focus needs to more on the creation of chances, not the conversion.

A stronger left side will do this. I don't think Thompson is the answer. But with a more Burns like winger he might be. I think that's NO 1 area of priority for me.

A midfielder to play alongside Morsy that actually compliments him. That could be Evans, but we might get someone new. Someone who shows as much creativity and passing range as Morsy shows fight and determination.

A lightening fast forward that can get in behind. Jackson can do this. Norwood can do this. Pigott can't. Simpson won't. So we need someone who can so we can play the way KMcK wants us to.

I make that 4 signings to make us competitive for a play off spot. Maybe a cover signing for Morsy too if we're being greedy.

I think Bonne will go. I'd hope Celina would stay. I think Norwood will stay. I think Pigott will go. Carroll will go. I'd like another year of Aluko, but maybe he's gone too. Bakinson, hmmm. He's not the player I think we need, but I think he'll sign. The players loaned out Kenlock, Holy will go. Dobra I don't know, the Col Utd loan really backfired. McGavin I think will go. Ndaba maybe stay...but I wonder if with the players in front of him he might not see a pathway.

I've probably missed someone obvious but off the top of my head that's how I see it.

A few out. 4 in.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024