Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pizza ovens 23:07 - May 26 with 4392 viewsSwansea_Blue

They seem to be all the rage for lefty bumfest types with more money than sense. Are the commercial options worth it? I keep getting spammed ads from Ooni (pic below), but you’re looking at ~£500 for a 16” multi fuel oven. Cooking in a couple of minutes sounds good, but otherwise Domino’s sounds a better bet! Anyone built their own, any hints, tips, etc?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pizza ovens on 23:18 - May 26 with 2477 viewsjeera

Never did find out how Bully got on with his.

I was quite invested in that and a bit disappointed at the lack of updates following his unexpected departure.

Speaking for myself, (I have no experience whatsoever with these and am not qualified in any way), the type there looks too glossy and fake and I would prefer the home brick built, clay lined sort of thing.

You know, the shiny silver and all that doesn't exactly shout authenticity and natural wood burning flavours and all that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pizza ovens on 23:32 - May 26 with 2446 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pizza ovens on 23:18 - May 26 by jeera

Never did find out how Bully got on with his.

I was quite invested in that and a bit disappointed at the lack of updates following his unexpected departure.

Speaking for myself, (I have no experience whatsoever with these and am not qualified in any way), the type there looks too glossy and fake and I would prefer the home brick built, clay lined sort of thing.

You know, the shiny silver and all that doesn't exactly shout authenticity and natural wood burning flavours and all that.

That’s a fair point and pretty much what I’m thinking. Rustic, brick built and ideally with burly Italians fanning the flames would be more my style, but it sounds like a lot of work. I’m sure the commercial options work well, but yeah, lots of unnecessary shiny metal and silly money. Their usp is getting to >500°C in a few minutes. I reckon you’d get that with a wood fire in a home built kiln after a little longer, for a fraction of the cost. The only trouble is, I struggled to lay the missus to produce our kids. Laying bricks is well beyond my skills and ‘can be bothered’ level 😂
[Post edited 26 May 2022 23:34]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pizza ovens on 23:40 - May 26 with 2419 viewsjeera

Pizza ovens on 23:32 - May 26 by Swansea_Blue

That’s a fair point and pretty much what I’m thinking. Rustic, brick built and ideally with burly Italians fanning the flames would be more my style, but it sounds like a lot of work. I’m sure the commercial options work well, but yeah, lots of unnecessary shiny metal and silly money. Their usp is getting to >500°C in a few minutes. I reckon you’d get that with a wood fire in a home built kiln after a little longer, for a fraction of the cost. The only trouble is, I struggled to lay the missus to produce our kids. Laying bricks is well beyond my skills and ‘can be bothered’ level 😂
[Post edited 26 May 2022 23:34]

If you were busy dreaming about burley Italians it's not surprising you and the missus were struggling...

It's not the cost for me. I just like authenticity and am a bit stuck in those ideals I suppose. That looks clinical and not at all foody if you know what I mean.

Like an oversized toaster laid on its side or something.

It can't be hard to build one, and whilst at it add a bbq to one side and a tandoor to the other.

Think of the satisfaction and bragging rights. And great food.

Pop down to the local builder's merchants and they'll put you right no worries.

Looking forward to the step by step project photos.

Pizza ovens on 23:41 - May 26 with 2413 viewsJ2BLUE

No idea on quality and i'm sure you could build one but even at £500 that's not that may uses before the money is recouped at Dominos prices, assuming they are built to last for a while.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Pizza ovens on 23:58 - May 26 with 2378 viewsSarge

You can get the Ooni Karu 12 for just over £200. Multi fuel as well. Also probably more efficient for normal use as you won’t have to heat a large oven just to cook a handful of pizzas. I would also wager that building your own may not come in all that cheaper than the Karu 12 although obviously would be much more fun and far more satisfying.
Pizza ovens on 00:07 - May 27 with 2361 viewsLord_Lucan

You are fecking crazy

Pizza is basically cheese on toast with some unwarranted extras.

This is why I have suspicions about Italians, how can you have cheese on toast as a national dish? What I find more explicable is that other nations claim to have invented Pizza fist - my daft Turkish friend "Paul from Skegness " always harps on about it. Why on earth would you admit to creating this monstrosity and why would you want to claim it as a national dish? It's madness!

And you want to pay money for an oven that cooks this is some way?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pizza ovens on 00:08 - May 27 with 2349 viewsSarge

Pizza ovens on 00:07 - May 27 by Lord_Lucan

You are fecking crazy

This is why I have suspicions about Italians, how can you have cheese on toast as a national dish? What I find more explicable is that other nations claim to have invented Pizza fist - my daft Turkish friend "Paul from Skegness " always harps on about it. Why on earth would you admit to creating this monstrosity and why would you want to claim it as a national dish? It's madness!

Pizza is cheese on toast in the same way that a burger is a corned beef sandwich.
Pizza ovens on 00:28 - May 27 with 2320 viewsjeera

You are fecking crazy

You have specified in the past how you like to make cheese on toast in the oven.

Login to get fewer ads

Pizza ovens on 00:49 - May 27 with 2300 viewsLord_Lucan

Pizza ovens on 00:28 - May 27 by jeera

You have specified in the past how you like to make cheese on toast in the oven.

I've kiboshed the oven version

But, cheese on toast is a beautiful snack or lazy meal - it is a magnificent thing.

Pizza is just one of those things that you end up eating and and you don't know why, I tend to not bother with it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Pizza ovens on 00:51 - May 27 with 2285 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Been at my mates and we’ve done this plenty of times in his out on his balcony and whilst I’m theory it sounds good, it’s always either not fully cooked to instantly too crispy within about 10 seconds. It’s very hard to work out when to actually take it out. Also find it thins out very quickly as well and for those of us who prefer a thicker crust type pizza, it’s not quite as hoped.

Rommy Review - A bit like a mini fridge and an air purifier, they sound great in theory as something for the middle class to desire but in practice they’re overpriced and not that special.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Pizza ovens on 00:54 - May 27 with 2284 viewsLord_Lucan

Pizza ovens on 00:51 - May 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Been at my mates and we’ve done this plenty of times in his out on his balcony and whilst I’m theory it sounds good, it’s always either not fully cooked to instantly too crispy within about 10 seconds. It’s very hard to work out when to actually take it out. Also find it thins out very quickly as well and for those of us who prefer a thicker crust type pizza, it’s not quite as hoped.

Rommy Review - A bit like a mini fridge and an air purifier, they sound great in theory as something for the middle class to desire but in practice they’re overpriced and not that special.

A decent pizza is;

Portion of pitta bread - tinned mackerel - grill - done.

Pizza ovens on 00:56 - May 27 with 2279 viewsjeera

Pizza ovens on 00:49 - May 27 by Lord_Lucan

I've kiboshed the oven version

But, cheese on toast is a beautiful snack or lazy meal - it is a magnificent thing.

Pizza is just one of those things that you end up eating and and you don't know why, I tend to not bother with it.

I remember working Brandon market for a short while back many years ago.

There was a cracking little sandwich shop on the square which would send out a waitress to take orders from the traders periodically and then bring food/drinks to the stalls.

I wandered in there one day to see my cheese toastie being popped into a plastic bag before being toasted. I had never before witnessed such a thing. Surely the bag would melt!

Not much relevance there really other than those bags were magical and produced the most amazing toasted cheese sandwiches.

Also the owner's daughter was the prettiest girl I'd eve seen but the family were Jehovah's Witnesses which sort of complicated any hopes I'd harboured.

Pizza ovens on 00:57 - May 27 with 2271 viewsJ2BLUE

Pizza ovens on 00:54 - May 27 by Lord_Lucan

A decent pizza is;

Portion of pitta bread - tinned mackerel - grill - done.

Log out mate, you're pissed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Pizza ovens on 01:03 - May 27 with 2266 viewsjeera

Pizza ovens on 00:57 - May 27 by J2BLUE

Log out mate, you're pissed.

That's the best time to log in!

Pizza ovens on 02:08 - May 27 with 2224 viewsIllinoisblue

On a par with ice cream makers and rice steamers for unnecessary kitchen gadgets.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Pizza ovens on 03:11 - May 27 with 2199 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Pizza ovens on 02:08 - May 27 by Illinoisblue

On a par with ice cream makers and rice steamers for unnecessary kitchen gadgets.

Honourable mention for doughnut makers which are also unnecessary

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Pizza ovens on 04:10 - May 27 with 2172 viewsKropotkin123

For £500, my tip would be fly to Naples and get a pizza from Sorbillos.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Pizza ovens on 06:59 - May 27 with 2026 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I'm thinking of putting one next to my shoffice.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pizza ovens on 07:07 - May 27 with 2005 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pizza ovens on 02:08 - May 27 by Illinoisblue

Can I interest you in a spralizer?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pizza ovens on 07:27 - May 27 with 1949 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thé problem with my bread oven now restored and operating as a pizza oven is the faff involved in lighting it and getting it up to temperature - not turning pizzas (or bread) to cinders then cleaning out the cinders afterwards. All rather daft really - but strangely satisfying when it actually works

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Pizza ovens on 07:29 - May 27 with 1941 viewsblue62

Does that mean I’m a lefty bum fest type!

I bought the gas version, was about £275 I think and use it a lot, probably costs less that the take always you get.

Easy to use, just don’t take you eye off the pizza as they are done in about 60 seconds.

Right must get on with my lefty bum fest life.
Pizza ovens on 07:29 - May 27 with 1937 viewsblueprint

You are fecking crazy

I have always said the same, “glorified cheese on toast”.

I don’t mind a proper pizza with just a few toppings like Anchovies and Olives but it is never my first choice. I will only eat it if everyone else in the family wants it and I’m outvoted.

And as for the sloppy takeaway muck you get from the likes of Domino’s or Papa Johns….
Pizza ovens on 08:15 - May 27 with 1836 viewsgalacticoblue

I love my ooni koda - takes a while to learn how to do the proper dough and techniques - but it’s a doddle now.

Also, I rarely use my bbq now with the cast iron pan accessory- cooking steaks at that temperature takes them to another level - good for veggies etc too.
Pizza ovens on 08:16 - May 27 with 1837 viewseastangliaisblue

For anyone in Ipswich thinking of buying a fancy pizza oven, just save your money and time, by going to Sourdough Street next to Three Wise Monkeys. It's the best pizza around.
Pizza ovens on 08:19 - May 27 with 1824 viewsBiGDonnie

Sod dominoes. Get yourself a Franco Manca pizza - top notch.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024