Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Embarrassing from England 21:22 - Jun 14 with 3228 viewsGlasgowBlue

0-3

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Embarrassing from England on 21:54 - Jun 14 with 1240 viewsWhos_blue

Embarrassing from England on 21:52 - Jun 14 by Powrigan

Southgate needs to go, he is useless.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Embarrassing from England on 21:57 - Jun 14 with 1223 viewsPowrigan

Embarrassing from England on 21:54 - Jun 14 by Whos_blue

Exactly how I felt watching his joke management today
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 22:01]
Embarrassing from England on 22:09 - Jun 14 with 1188 viewsxrayspecs

Why are we playing friendlies in June? The players need a rest.
Embarrassing from England on 22:15 - Jun 14 with 1175 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Southgate has always handled himself very well and I’m sure he’ll continue to do so. One thing he has done in a short spell is make us atleast capable of being a ‘Tournament Team’ something we were hopelessly terrible at for years.

I couldn’t care less about friendlies and even qualifying (obviously we need to qualify) but when it matters, in the big tournaments, Southgate has produced something better than everyone other than Sir Alf. Copello and Hodgson had incredible records in qualification but failed miserably when it mattered
Embarrassing from England on 22:27 - Jun 14 with 1152 viewsEnigma_Blue

Embarrassing from England on 21:52 - Jun 14 by Powrigan

Southgate needs to go, he is useless.

So who do you suggest replaces him?
Embarrassing from England on 22:40 - Jun 14 with 1126 viewsGlasgowBlue

Embarrassing from England on 21:40 - Jun 14 by ElderGrizzly

I’m more concerned why we are still playing glorified friendlies in mid-June, 10 months after the season started and when pre-season starts for many clubs in 2 weeks.

Woeful result, but Southgate clearly deserves the opportunity to take England to the World Cup

And does anyone really care about the Nations League? It’s the Papa Johns of international football

If the WC wasn’t in Qatar during the winter we would now be playing in the group stages of the finals.

Iron Lion Zion

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 with 1051 viewspointofblue

Embarrassing from England on 22:27 - Jun 14 by Enigma_Blue

So who do you suggest replaces him?

Pochettino?

ETA - if Southgate was told his future rested on these four matches he would have picked his strongest team for each one; not mixed and matched, trying different things.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 23:42]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 with 1051 viewsZXBlue

Embarrassing from England on 22:40 - Jun 14 by GlasgowBlue

If the WC wasn’t in Qatar during the winter we would now be playing in the group stages of the finals.

Finals whcih would have some point and incentive.

Players after a long season, and the climax or anit climax of whatever they have won or lost in those final days, being asked to play meaningless friendlies with no fans?

Its absurd, and no surprise that there is no edge to their game. let them have a fecking holiday.
Login to get fewer ads

Embarrassing from England on 00:11 - Jun 15 with 1010 viewsEnigma_Blue

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 by pointofblue

Pochettino?

ETA - if Southgate was told his future rested on these four matches he would have picked his strongest team for each one; not mixed and matched, trying different things.

Would Pochettino even want the job?

If you are going to mix and match and try knew things, much better to do it in what is effectively a meaningless friendly. I would say Southgate has learned more from this humbling defeat than he would have from a victory fielding his strongest players that he already knows and can trust.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 0:19]
Embarrassing from England on 07:49 - Jun 15 with 902 viewsGlasgowBlue

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 by ZXBlue

Players after a long season, and the climax or anit climax of whatever they have won or lost in those final days, being asked to play meaningless friendlies with no fans?

Its absurd, and no surprise that there is no edge to their game. let them have a fecking holiday.

Yeah I made the same excuse.

Fair play to England by GlasgowBlue 14 Jun 2022 21:28
In fairness, this is taking place at the end of a long seasonand the players would rather be anywhere else. Whereas the World Cup will take place whilst the players are at the peak of form in the middle of the season.

However, the facts are that Hungary were motivated enough to beat us twice, with yesterday’s result being an embarrassment, and we have failed to score in open play in 4 competitive games.

The Wales manager was brave enough to experiment with the likes of Burns and Johnson. Southgate put a tired Harry Kane on the pitch for all but 60 minutes of our 4 games. Why not play hungry players who would have busted a gut to try and make the World Cup Squad?

Iron Lion Zion

Embarrassing from England on 08:06 - Jun 15 with 885 viewsButterbing

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 by ZXBlue

It might be a bit rubbish but these were competitive matches not friendlys. Most other countries took it seriously. It can have a negative future effect in terms of seedings for qualification groups.

Also, why do England always throw away games in the run up to tournaments by experimenting? Look at Italy in the Euros, they came in on the back of a long confidence building run and won the tournament.
Embarrassing from England on 09:23 - Jun 15 with 829 viewsibbleobble

That might be the heaviest defeat in my lifetime. I’m struggling to think of another that eclipses that.
Embarrassing from England on 09:29 - Jun 15 with 823 viewsSTYG

Embarrassing from England on 09:23 - Jun 15 by ibbleobble

That might be the heaviest defeat in my lifetime. I’m struggling to think of another that eclipses that.

Biggest home defeat for 94 years.

I can't think of another that big home or away off the top of my head. Even the 4-1 Germany, should have been 2-2.

Clearly Hungary are now a very. very good side. Look how they did in a group with Germany, Italy and Portugal in the Euro's and now with Germany, Italy and England. Can't be a fluke after 7 games against the top sides in Europe.

But nonetheless, a defeat would have been disappointing but acceptable with the side we put out. But a home hammering!

I don't want to appear ungrateful for Southgate because we've gone to another level but, approaching these matches as friendlies or not, we've really not looked at it for large parts of the last year and I'd be very concerned moving forward.
Embarrassing from England on 09:33 - Jun 15 with 819 viewsclive_baker

What I find a bit annoying is we should either take it seriously as a competition, or not. We seem to be in this halfway house where the senior pro's are largely there chasing caps and really look like they can't be arsed. Fair enough, I don't blame them particularly but if that's the case we might as well play the U21s.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Embarrassing from England on 09:43 - Jun 15 with 804 viewsGlasgowBlue

Embarrassing from England on 09:33 - Jun 15 by clive_baker

What I find a bit annoying is we should either take it seriously as a competition, or not. We seem to be in this halfway house where the senior pro's are largely there chasing caps and really look like they can't be arsed. Fair enough, I don't blame them particularly but if that's the case we might as well play the U21s.

4 years ago we continued the momentum from the WC semi final and got to the semi final of the Nations League. Incredibly frustrating that we now seem to be going backwards.

Iron Lion Zion

Embarrassing from England on 09:44 - Jun 15 with 802 viewsitfcjoe

Embarrassing from England on 07:49 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah I made the same excuse.

Fair play to England by GlasgowBlue 14 Jun 2022 21:28
In fairness, this is taking place at the end of a long seasonand the players would rather be anywhere else. Whereas the World Cup will take place whilst the players are at the peak of form in the middle of the season.

However, the facts are that Hungary were motivated enough to beat us twice, with yesterday’s result being an embarrassment, and we have failed to score in open play in 4 competitive games.

The Wales manager was brave enough to experiment with the likes of Burns and Johnson. Southgate put a tired Harry Kane on the pitch for all but 60 minutes of our 4 games. Why not play hungry players who would have busted a gut to try and make the World Cup Squad?

Wales had a WC Play Off to play and had to rest 11 players for the first game Burns played.

Guehi, Tomori and especially Jarrod Bowen got good minutes to have a look at them, as did James Justin.

Southgate can't win whatever he does, England fans don't deserve nice things

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Embarrassing from England on 09:52 - Jun 15 with 769 viewsSteve_M

Embarrassing from England on 09:44 - Jun 15 by itfcjoe

Wales had a WC Play Off to play and had to rest 11 players for the first game Burns played.

Guehi, Tomori and especially Jarrod Bowen got good minutes to have a look at them, as did James Justin.

Last night was clearly crap but we are definitely back in the realm of over the top expectations about what England can be and should expect to be. Possibly because the more moderate of England fans don't pay loads of attention to matches outside of qualifying and tournaments.

There are better tactical managers out there than Southgate, but he's done the best of any England manager since Robson. All this talk of easy routes in 2018 and 2020 largely ignores the prior performances of England teams in too many similar matches previously.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Embarrassing from England on 09:56 - Jun 15 with 766 viewsRobTheMonk

The Hungarian strikers' holdup player was exceptional to be fair. They gave them a focal point to aim for rather than Kane who comes incredibly deep and then tries to hit one our our midgets up front. Hungary did a job on England yesterday and that's down to their players playing well and being well trained.
Embarrassing from England on 10:02 - Jun 15 with 763 viewstractordownsouth

Embarrassing from England on 23:40 - Jun 14 by pointofblue

Pochettino?

I'm pro-Southgate but to be fair Pochettino is probably the only good answer to the replacement question. Far better than the Twitter numpties suggesting Lampard. However, wasn't his time at Spurs exactly the same as Southgate? As in massively improving a team but falling short in finals and semi-finals.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Embarrassing from England on 10:03 - Jun 15 with 761 viewsitfcjoe

Embarrassing from England on 10:02 - Jun 15 by tractordownsouth

I'm pro-Southgate but to be fair Pochettino is probably the only good answer to the replacement question. Far better than the Twitter numpties suggesting Lampard. However, wasn't his time at Spurs exactly the same as Southgate? As in massively improving a team but falling short in finals and semi-finals.

Pochettino's main thing was getting the players incredibly fit as well - that isn't something that can be done at international level

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Embarrassing from England on 10:24 - Jun 15 with 729 viewsRyorry

Embarrassing from England on 09:44 - Jun 15 by itfcjoe

Agree. Liked the look of Tomori & Bowen (didn't watch last night tho). I'd add that perhaps Southgate also needs a holiday for 2-4 weeks - a mental break & refresh/re-think/re-charge.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 10:28]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Embarrassing from England on 10:42 - Jun 15 with 706 viewsrickw

I think it showed the players would rather be on holiday then playing 4 matches in 10 days after a long season.

It was an embarrassing result, to be fair Hungary scored every chance or half chance they had, but who'll care if we get relegated in the nations league if we win the World Cup (obviously no chance on this form though!)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024