Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be nice to make a marquee signing... 10:59 - Jun 23 with 3906 viewsOriginalMarkyP

....to calm the restless natives.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:41 - Jun 23 with 818 viewsMediocre_Quick

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:27 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

Restless natives?

Same crowd of demanding fans who never ever learn and demand all our business is completed by the end of June. It’s ridiculous. We have more than enough for the first few games. Clearly it’s not idea if we are waiting until later to bring players in but the right player is worth waiting for.

You say that, however, Peterborough have concluded their business, and it's only the 23rd,

I think what fans realistically want is a cohesive unit by the end of Pre-Season to start the season off strong, and then when any weaknesses, or long term injuries occur, we fill those gaps later in the window
Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:42 - Jun 23 with 812 viewsBig_Jase

By restless natives, do you mean yourself?

Ladapo is a marquee signing, I will be surprised if he isn’t our main man next year.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:45 - Jun 23 with 811 viewsRobTheMonk

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:41 - Jun 23 by Mediocre_Quick

You say that, however, Peterborough have concluded their business, and it's only the 23rd,

I think what fans realistically want is a cohesive unit by the end of Pre-Season to start the season off strong, and then when any weaknesses, or long term injuries occur, we fill those gaps later in the window

- Back line will remain unchanged (presumably).
- Midfield has added Ball who is a massive upgrade on Carroll (who left and needed replacing).
- New LB which was needed has come in.
- We've replaced Norwood and Bonne.

We've not even had one pre season game yet...
Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:49 - Jun 23 with 780 viewsMediocre_Quick

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:45 - Jun 23 by RobTheMonk

- Midfield has added Ball who is a massive upgrade on Carroll (who left and needed replacing).

Agreeing with you here, and we're likely to see a couple more in, I'd assume by the time we kick a ball at the start of the season
Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:53 - Jun 23 with 760 viewsSouperJim

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:41 - Jun 23 by Mediocre_Quick

The players only came back on Monday. We've got 5 weeks before the start of the season.

What's far more important is getting the right players, rather than exactly when we get them.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:53 - Jun 23 with 759 viewsKeno

here's a big marquee, happy now?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:55 - Jun 23 with 750 viewsMediocre_Quick

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:53 - Jun 23 by SouperJim

The players only came back on Monday. We've got 5 weeks before the start of the season.

What's far more important is getting the right players, rather than exactly when we get them.

That's exactly the point I was making...
Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:56 - Jun 23 with 736 viewshype313

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:24 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe we'll hear in the m-awning...

Hoppy will be proud.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:56 - Jun 23 with 737 viewspointofblue

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:45 - Jun 23 by RobTheMonk

I hope we’ve only really replaced one of Bonne or Norwood. There is quite a risk that Ladapo, Jackson, Pigott and John-Jules won’t be a strong enough forward line to compete next year.

I like the signing of Ladapo. We need someone else.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 15:01]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:57 - Jun 23 with 734 viewsclive_baker

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:19 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

If that's a marquee transfer, on a free, then we really aren't going anywhere. Walton, Morsy, Celina, those are the type of signings that we need.

I don't understand why Ladapo isn't classed in that category if you're saying Walton was. Similarly to Walton he's coming in off the back of 3 or 4 very good seasons, including some football in the Championship.

We've signed a 29 year old striker who got promoted out of this division last season, and has proven he can score goals in this league (and the one above to some extent).

An all action central midfielder, 26, who has played the best part of 100 times in the Championship over the past 3 years.

One of the best left backs in the division last season, 27, a decade in Man City academy and Jamaica international.

And a youngster on loan from Arsenal who has been on KM's radar for a long time.

All that and not spent a penny in transfer fees. And our shopping probably isn't done. Football fans will never learn though, unless there's a big price tag they can't seem to get too excited. I can't help but cast my mind back to November when Rotherham absolutely schooled us 2-0 at PR on their way to 90 points and auto promotion, one of the most complete performances I've seen at PR from an away side at this level. Hard to know exactly what they spent, but I dare say there were no marquee signings in that side. Barlaser, Ferguson, Smith, Ladapo. Just a very professional, well organised and hard working side who knew their roles and appeared to want it more than we did. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're signing the right characters as well as the right footballers this summer.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:00 - Jun 23 with 721 viewsKeno

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:57 - Jun 23 by clive_baker

I don't understand why Ladapo isn't classed in that category if you're saying Walton was. Similarly to Walton he's coming in off the back of 3 or 4 very good seasons, including some football in the Championship.

We've signed a 29 year old striker who got promoted out of this division last season, and has proven he can score goals in this league (and the one above to some extent).

An all action central midfielder, 26, who has played the best part of 100 times in the Championship over the past 3 years.

One of the best left backs in the division last season, 27, a decade in Man City academy and Jamaica international.

And a youngster on loan from Arsenal who has been on KM's radar for a long time.

All that and not spent a penny in transfer fees. And our shopping probably isn't done. Football fans will never learn though, unless there's a big price tag they can't seem to get too excited. I can't help but cast my mind back to November when Rotherham absolutely schooled us 2-0 at PR on their way to 90 points and auto promotion, one of the most complete performances I've seen at PR from an away side at this level. Hard to know exactly what they spent, but I dare say there were no marquee signings in that side. Barlaser, Ferguson, Smith, Ladapo. Just a very professional, well organised and hard working side who knew their roles and appeared to want it more than we did. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're signing the right characters as well as the right footballers this summer.

Well if e dont sign Renaldo, Rashford, Kane and Mbappe all for big fees then the new owners really serious about getting us promoted are they!!

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:03 - Jun 23 with 694 viewshoppy

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 12:03 - Jun 23 by SouperJim

6 years ago, maybe - all the signs were there at the time, but think it's as likely as Nugent now.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:06 - Jun 23 with 683 viewsDJR

To my mind a marquee signing would be someone who had played games in the Premiership, and even Celina doesn't fit that bill as he only ever played one game. Indeed, he is the only player we signed in the last year that I had ever heard of before, as I don't really take any interest in players from other teams. At the end of the day what really matters is that whoever we sign fits what McK want, given that some of the so-called marquee players we signed last year, and who generated great excitement, just didn't work out well.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 15:08]
Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:06 - Jun 23 with 681 viewsitfcjoe

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:57 - Jun 23 by clive_baker

You would think ipswich fans would remember as well...

Magilton, Keane and Jewell spent millions on Norris, McAuley, Edwards, Leadbitter, Priskin, Taylor, Martin, Civelli and in reality Carlos Edwards aside, we got very little return for the money invested.

Mick came in and signed on free transfers Berra, McGoldrick, Murphy, Skuse, Bialkowski adding to Chambers who Jewell had just nabbed and we got into the top 6 and thos eplayers played hundreds of games at the top half of the Championship

As always, it's all about wages - Ball and Ladapo will both be on serious money for a L1 club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:08 - Jun 23 with 677 viewshoppy

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:56 - Jun 23 by hype313

Hoppy will be proud.

Why bring me into it? Don't be a bell.

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:08 - Jun 23 with 673 viewshype313

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:08 - Jun 23 by hoppy

Why bring me into it? Don't be a bell.

Can I be a Knocker?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:14 - Jun 23 with 657 viewshoppy

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:08 - Jun 23 by hype313

Can I be a Knocker?

I think you'll have to canvas opinion about that.

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:21 - Jun 23 with 623 viewsKeno

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:14 - Jun 23 by hoppy

I think you'll have to canvas opinion about that.

that was a sheet reply

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:22 - Jun 23 with 622 viewssuffolkpoker

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:17 - Jun 23 by OriginalMarkyP

Hope so. Remember being sure Piggot would score a hatful for us...and well, it was a very small hat.

I thought Norwood would be our top scorer the last few years.
Piggot needs a change of club, clearly he didnt work here. I expect him to leave in this window by perm or loan deal.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:23 - Jun 23 with 618 viewsSouperJim

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 15:06 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

You would think ipswich fans would remember as well...

Magilton, Keane and Jewell spent millions on Norris, McAuley, Edwards, Leadbitter, Priskin, Taylor, Martin, Civelli and in reality Carlos Edwards aside, we got very little return for the money invested.

Mick came in and signed on free transfers Berra, McGoldrick, Murphy, Skuse, Bialkowski adding to Chambers who Jewell had just nabbed and we got into the top 6 and thos eplayers played hundreds of games at the top half of the Championship

As always, it's all about wages - Ball and Ladapo will both be on serious money for a L1 club

Very well said

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 16:54 - Jun 23 with 562 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:42 - Jun 23 by Big_Jase

By restless natives, do you mean yourself?

Ladapo is a marquee signing, I will be surprised if he isn’t our main man next year.

Nope. Not me.

I'm not that bothered if we don't sign any more players.

Think we'll make the top 8 with what we've got. Playoffs at a push. Think top 2 is beyond us.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 16:58 - Jun 23 with 550 viewsnodge_blue

Who is a marquee signing at this level.

People were having kittens that Shef Wed signed two Rotherham players yesterday! I mean really.....

Celina back will do me.

Cant see another striker coming in as we've signed two and still have two here already.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 17:03 - Jun 23 with 523 viewsSwansea_Blue

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 14:56 - Jun 23 by hype313

Hoppy will be proud.

I bet it wasn't camp enough for Hoppy

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 17:05 - Jun 23 with 518 viewsBig_Jase

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 16:54 - Jun 23 by OriginalMarkyP

Nope. Not me.

I'm not that bothered if we don't sign any more players.

Think we'll make the top 8 with what we've got. Playoffs at a push. Think top 2 is beyond us.

If we only make top 8 this season, it’s a failure and McKenna will not be here.

Top two is definitely the target, If it looks like we are not making play offs, changes will be made again.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 17:20 - Jun 23 with 506 viewsSTYG

Be nice to make a marquee signing... on 17:05 - Jun 23 by Big_Jase

If we only make top 8 this season, it’s a failure and McKenna will not be here.

Top two is definitely the target, If it looks like we are not making play offs, changes will be made again.

I'd say anything under 82 points is a failure. 2 points per game.

In past seasons that would have taken you up as Champions, had you promoted as runners up or you'd have finished 7th last season!

I think it has to be judged on its merits. We'd have been mad to sack Burley after losing in the playoffs three years in a row, we just had to trust we'd get there.

We could finish 6th one year with a better points total than we'd win the league with another.

Saying that, with the size of the club there should not be finishing outside the playoffs regardless of how many points the top 6 get. There shouldn't be 6 clubs ahead of us over 46 games.

Automatics are the aim. Anything less than playoffs then changes would need to be made unless there were circumstances such as we were 2nd until March and a monumental injury crisis struck for example.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024