Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? 13:46 - Jun 23 with 2496 viewsgiant_stow

No worries if not, but I now accidently have 7 or 8 good food lovers coming over on Saturday to mine and am stumped on what to provide. The limitations of the brief are:

- My main oven is broken - I only have a crap small low powered top oven
- My table only sits 4, so its eat on laps / buffet style
- I can't really cook
- I'll have to cook as much as poss in advance, as I don't want to be in the kitchen much when they're here.

...So all told, simple is king

I only ask as I know this place is crawling with food lovers and bod what can cook innit.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:05 - Jun 23 with 943 viewscatch74

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:33 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

If she'll nibble at a bit of fish, what about a whole salmon? Cook it the morning of and let it cool, have it with a bunch of different salads buffet style. People can dig in an perch in whatever space they can find (outside if you've got anywhere to sit and the weather's good). Ask the mrs to come up with some interesting veggie salad recipes too. Can all be prepared beforehand and just covered in foil/cling film 5 mins before you're ready. Job done.

Edit - balls oven broken probably rules this out. Ask a neighbour to cook it for you lol.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:34]

Cook it in the dishwasher.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:07 - Jun 23 with 937 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:59 - Jun 23 by Illinoisblue

What kind of middle class hellscape are you trapped in? “Oh, Rupert we must get together for a dinner party at Ulla’s. Yeah, super.”

Sack it off, get down the pub for a few sherbets and hit up the kebab shop on the way home.

It's ok - Ulla has employed me to take virtual control.

Nothing can now go wrong!

I've also just given him my home made baileys recipe for additional middle class bragging rights. In fact it's that good (lethal) that I will share it with TW4TDers.

4 x wine glasses whiskey
1 pint single cream
12 dessertspoons condensed milk
4 dessertspoons camp coffee
6 eggs

Put in blender and blitz.

refrigerate for 24 hours and drink within 2 - 3 weeks

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:09 - Jun 23 with 934 viewshype313

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:07 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

I've also just given him my home made baileys recipe for additional middle class bragging rights. In fact it's that good (lethal) that I will share it with TW4TDers.

4 x wine glasses whiskey
1 pint single cream
6 eggs

With an Immodium chaser.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:19 - Jun 23 with 921 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:29 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

I read that as 7 or 8 good lovers, and was wondering why the rest of the family aren't coming

brute

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:22 - Jun 23 with 919 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:59 - Jun 23 by Illinoisblue

What kind of middle class hellscape are you trapped in? “Oh, Rupert we must get together for a dinner party at Ulla’s. Yeah, super.”

Sack it off, get down the pub for a few sherbets and hit up the kebab shop on the way home.

lol!

Its honestly not like that - it will be a collection of boozers and drugged-up reprobates + my mum! ...She does have high expectations in general but is also aware of my failings.

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:24 - Jun 23 with 913 viewsgiant_stow

4 x wine glasses whiskey
1 pint single cream
6 eggs

Yes indeed, the situation is now in hand!! The boozer-attendees are going to love this. One question though and its probably stupid: do you cook the eggs?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:24 - Jun 23 with 912 viewshype313

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:22 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

lol!

Its honestly not like that - it will be a collection of boozers and drugged-up reprobates + my mum! ...She does have high expectations in general but is also aware of my failings.

Sounds like a Pot Noodle kinda night then

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:25 - Jun 23 with 908 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:24 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

Yes indeed, the situation is now in hand!! The boozer-attendees are going to love this. One question though and its probably stupid: do you cook the eggs?

FFS

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:49 - Jun 23 with 885 viewsblueasfook

Just insult them all when they arrive and just walk around in your undies scratching your nads a lot.

Most will probably make their excuses and leave early and NOBODY will want food.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 17:06 - Jun 23 with 849 viewsfactual_blue

Take them to your local all you can eat Chinese.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 17:10 - Jun 23 with 847 viewsjeera

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:04 - Jun 23 by Parsley

Sounds like an ideal excuse for a barbeque if the weather's decent

I vote for this ^

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 17:20 - Jun 23 with 840 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:24 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

Wrong login J2

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 18:04 - Jun 23 with 814 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If it was me… I’d do a barbecue. At uni I reckon I used every excuse possible to get the troops round for a few burgers and hotdogs. In this instance I’d even say you’ve got the perfect excuse with the oven shenanigans

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 18:12 - Jun 23 with 807 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 17:20 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

Wrong login J2

I’ve been called many things but a scummer is the most offensive.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 18:13 - Jun 23 with 805 viewsjontysnut

Meze type thing.

Good Greek salad, some local charcuterie, good cheese, good bread, dips perhaps a few bits of grilled chicken loads of booze jobs a goodun
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 20:53 - Jun 23 with 778 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 15:22 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

lol!

She's presumably your grandmother as well.

Here's a norfolk type song for you

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 22:15 - Jun 23 with 756 viewsjeera

Not understanding why the BBQ suggestion didn't/hasn't received more of a response.

It is fairly failproof and a pretty obvious answer.

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:03 - Jun 24 with 723 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 22:15 - Jun 23 by jeera

Not understanding why the BBQ suggestion didn't/hasn't received more of a response.

It is fairly failproof and a pretty obvious answer.

The only problem with the bbq, is my brother did one last Saturday, which was also where I promised to do this Saturday!

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:05 - Jun 24 with 720 viewsgiant_stow

4 x wine glasses whiskey
1 pint single cream
6 eggs

Sorry, one more question: Full 'home'wine glasses or little pub measure single wine glasses?

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:14 - Jun 24 with 714 viewsjeera

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:03 - Jun 24 by giant_stow

The only problem with the bbq, is my brother did one last Saturday, which was also where I promised to do this Saturday!

I'm fairly sure it's ok to eat food cooked on a bbq twice in a season.

Make the most of the weather while you can.

If you have two bbs better still so you can keep the veggies happy.

Go to butchers and get chops and ribs and steaks... none of this sausages and burgers stuff. Although to be fair if you're feeding a bunch of heathens then that's what they'll expect so go with it maybe.

Buy salad stuff, a few French sticks, some decent butter...

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:19 - Jun 24 with 707 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 00:05 - Jun 24 by giant_stow

Sorry, one more question: Full 'home'wine glasses or little pub measure single wine glasses?

Always go large Ulla

Just think Ipswich - go large!

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 02:07 - Jun 24 with 673 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Mexican all the way.

Make a really nice Mango salad, Guacamole and some Pico de Gallo.

Make your own Tortillas. Soooo easy. The trick is to follow a recipe that uses Lard.

Follow a Pork Shoulder Pibil recipe. If you have a slow cooker, use that and find a SC recipe. If not then low and slow in your top oven for several hours is fine.

Cut chicken thighs quite small and cook with Mexican spices, peppers, mushrooms.

Make a Vegetarian alternative if necessary.

Buy lots of limes.

Ask people to bring Tequilla or Mexican beers. Have some ginger beer in for an easy cocktail.

Set everything up on the table and get people to assemble their own Tortillas.

Fairly easy to eat off a plate on their laps.
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 02:09 - Jun 24 with 673 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 14:06 - Jun 23 by Mookamoo

Fajatas or Tacos are always good. Assuming you have somewhere (the kitchen) for people to construct them, they're good to have your lap, plus you can cater for all dietary needs by getting them to make their own.

Do some fresh guacamole, get plenty of fresh veg which you can chop up and advance and buy a few nice chilli sauces.

Fish tacos are easy. Get to a market on Saturday morning and get some good, fresh fish. All you have to do is chop, it up, dust the chunks a bit of flour and flash fry it - takes a few mins. If they are food lovers they will just appreciate the good ingredients.

Few tortillas and salsa on the side -maybe homemade if you can bothered.

I should read the thread before answering!

Pretty much what I just wrote!
Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 08:29 - Jun 24 with 649 viewsElephantintheRoom

Make some sandwiches and call it ‘afternoon tea’. Poseurs are usually impressed by that. Add in some kylie Minogue pink fizz and hey presto - job done

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone fancy a cooking / hosting dilemma? on 10:38 - Jun 27 with 548 viewsgiant_stow

Just a quick not to say thanks to you all and especially Lucan for taking me in hand!

I did Meatballs, homemade Baileys, FIsh, chicken, fake meat, and black bean tacos, with home made slaw and mango salsa.

It actually went really well and I had lots of compliments on the food!

Heartily recommend the Baileys, even it did turn out that 4 wine glasses of whiskey is basically a bottle!

Another win the hive mind of twtd. thanks people.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 10:40]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024