Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Used cars. 11:17 - Jul 1 with 2556 viewsFromReuserWithLove

with the market as it is, what are you supposed to do if you're in need of a new car? What a time to be alive.
Used cars. on 11:59 - Jul 1 with 2223 viewstonybied

I think the process is still the same isn't it? Go to a secondhand car sales showroom or find someone privately selling their vehicle and then either sort out a finance package or pay cash, hand over said monies and then drive the car away.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 12:00]
Used cars. on 12:14 - Jul 1 with 2183 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

There are 2 options at the moment:-

1-get ripped off by buying a used car at massively inflated market values (due to demand)

2-wait 18 months for a new one, and with no good deals to be had due to demand.

The chip shortage is supposedly due to ease later this year, but imagine it will take a long time to catch up the backlog. There are also supply chain knock on effects due to the Ukraine war.
Used cars. on 12:17 - Jul 1 with 2155 viewsGeoffSentence

zipcar

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Used cars. on 12:30 - Jul 1 with 2108 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Used cars. on 11:59 - Jul 1 by tonybied

I think the process is still the same isn't it? Go to a secondhand car sales showroom or find someone privately selling their vehicle and then either sort out a finance package or pay cash, hand over said monies and then drive the car away.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 12:00]

Ahhhhhh sarcasm!
Used cars. on 12:32 - Jul 1 with 2093 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Used cars. on 12:14 - Jul 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

1-get ripped off by buying a used car at massively inflated market values (due to demand)

The chip shortage is supposedly due to ease later this year, but imagine it will take a long time to catch up the backlog. There are also supply chain knock on effects due to the Ukraine war.

It’s a nightmare isn’t it! No idea what a car should cost anymore. Then their is the push towards electric of course…
Used cars. on 12:33 - Jul 1 with 2089 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Used cars. on 12:36 - Jul 1 with 2066 viewsElephantintheRoom

You might find that ‘expensive’ used cars are here to stay if manufacturers insist on building impractical (and expensive) new cars

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Used cars. on 12:46 - Jul 1 with 1977 viewsdavblue

We ordered our new car at the end of Jan, been told late August/start of September to get that, so quite a wait.

We got a good offer for our car and they've held the value in the car through until when we get the new one.

Tough though if you need one very quickly.
Login to get fewer ads

Used cars. on 12:48 - Jul 1 with 1964 viewsFreddies_Ears

Used cars. on 12:14 - Jul 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

3 Sell or trade in your existing car for a new one that's already in the showroom. You will likely need to compromise on colour, spec and maybe model, but there are deals still to be done.

I got a ridiculously good trade in on a less than 3 year old basic estate, 30,000 miles, last year. Even once my PCP was paid off + balloon payment, there was still enough to pay the deposit on something that was gleaming at me in the showroom.
Used cars. on 12:57 - Jul 1 with 1914 viewsJammyDodgerrr

We took at a low % loan to buy one. Not ideal but miles better than the finance being floated by dealerships atm.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Used cars. on 13:05 - Jul 1 with 1864 viewsDecageBruce

My last 3 cars have all been about £5k second hand. I have bought on Credit Card and then done 0% transfer to another CC. All 0% terms have been 36 months so, other then 1-2.5% fee for using CC at where I bought it, it has been an interest free loan
Used cars. on 13:31 - Jul 1 with 1776 viewsjeera

Used cars. on 13:05 - Jul 1 by DecageBruce

My last 3 cars have all been about £5k second hand. I have bought on Credit Card and then done 0% transfer to another CC. All 0% terms have been 36 months so, other then 1-2.5% fee for using CC at where I bought it, it has been an interest free loan

Probably not necessary to switch to another card?

I needed to change my car and a 24 month interest free offer landed on my mat.

Like you I popped out and bought a car for the amount offered and paid it off monthly with no extra cost.

Obviously anyone doing that needs to be damn sure they don't miss a payment or it's gonna hike up to the full apr and backfire badly.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 13:40]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Used cars. on 13:37 - Jul 1 with 1754 viewsSwansea_Blue

Borrow more. I can't see interest rates rising

Not a good time to be buying is it? We were going to change our little runaround, but have decided to hang on to it for now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Used cars. on 13:41 - Jul 1 with 1718 viewsDecageBruce

Used cars. on 13:31 - Jul 1 by jeera

Probably not necessary to switch to another card?

I needed to change my car and a 24 month interest free offer landed on my mat.

Like you I popped out and bought a car for the amount offered and paid it off monthly with no extra cost.

Obviously anyone doing that needs to be damn sure they don't miss a payment or it's gonna hike up to the full apr and backfire badly.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 13:40]

Mine also coincided with other £0% offers from current providers but I like to move around a little with the CCs. No idea why or any logic to it but has lead to some quite good insurance deals etc from companies I've either gone to or left.

You are right to point out though. The key is to remain disciplined with the payments to ensure not getting any further debt
Used cars. on 13:43 - Jul 1 with 1704 viewsITFC_Forever

On a similar subject, my PCP deal is due to end in 6-8 months or so, and given I was able to end it 4 months early last time with no hassle, I've already started looking round..... that was an eye opener as to how much the car market has gone up!

Someone once put a PCP calculator website on here, don't suppose anyone knows of a similar one?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Used cars. on 13:53 - Jul 1 with 1664 viewsFreddies_Ears

Used cars. on 13:43 - Jul 1 by ITFC_Forever

On a similar subject, my PCP deal is due to end in 6-8 months or so, and given I was able to end it 4 months early last time with no hassle, I've already started looking round..... that was an eye opener as to how much the car market has gone up!

Someone once put a PCP calculator website on here, don't suppose anyone knows of a similar one?

Main issue if you are looking for a new new car, is availability. 6-12 months is often being quoted. So, it could be a long wait for something specific, or much, much quicker if you'll compromise a bit.
Used cars. on 14:05 - Jul 1 with 1623 viewsITFC_Forever

Used cars. on 13:53 - Jul 1 by Freddies_Ears

Main issue if you are looking for a new new car, is availability. 6-12 months is often being quoted. So, it could be a long wait for something specific, or much, much quicker if you'll compromise a bit.

Don't mind a 3 - 4 year old on a PCP...

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Used cars. on 14:26 - Jul 1 with 1556 viewsScotBlue

Highlighting any conflict of interest the company I work for links dealers and buyers around the country with unbiased car reviews and the ability to converse with dealers offering in the main discounted vehicles.
https://www.whatcar.com/new-car-deals

Stock is an issue across the board although there are some new models coming through with a reasonable lead time - Nissan Qashqai, Hyundai Kona, Skoda Karoq are some that dealerships I work with have advised on.
Used cars. on 14:54 - Jul 1 with 1464 viewsBloomBlue

Big problem is the wiring loomes, Ukraine was a massive supplier of those to the car and lorry industry adding to more delays in car delivery. Nissan had to close the Sunderland factory for a week or 2 again a few weeks ago as they had run out of looms.
Used cars. on 19:26 - Jul 1 with 1250 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.parkers.co.uk/cars-for-sale/price-1000/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Used cars. on 06:45 - Jul 2 with 1044 viewsstopmoaning

End of 2020 I bought a brand new car for around £19k, 11 months later I sold it for £20k!

Replaced it with a 10 year old 3 series for 4 grand, does the job.
Used cars. on 09:56 - Jul 2 with 917 viewsbluelagos

Frustrating as hell at present.

I spoke to a garage about a new EV. Lead time was 6 months, but the retailer could do no more than give an indicative value for my car as trade in. He explained that 2nd values were high but any price could move around.

He indicated/offered me £12k trade in on my car, same as he had on his forecourt for £17k. (Same model, mileage.year). Now I know these guys are a business but that's some margin.

All in, opted to keep existing car until things are more certain in terms of timings/costs.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Used cars. on 10:24 - Jul 2 with 886 viewsBent_double

I went down the leasing route earlier in the year - my son needed a car as he was starting a new job, and used car prices were starting to take-off, so we decided to give him our old car and get a new one ourselves.

The whole process of ordering and getting a leased car delivered took just over 2 weeks - OK, it was a 'stock' car - I wasn't too bothered about make/model/colour/spec, just that it was within my budget - so might be worth phoning around some of the leasing companies to see what they have for delivery right now.

Of course it will cost you more, and you have to just give it back at the end of the lease, but might be an option to get you over the next 12-18 months of turmoil in the car industry.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Used cars. on 10:33 - Jul 2 with 870 viewsZXBlue

Used cars. on 09:56 - Jul 2 by bluelagos

Frustrating as hell at present.

I spoke to a garage about a new EV. Lead time was 6 months, but the retailer could do no more than give an indicative value for my car as trade in. He explained that 2nd values were high but any price could move around.

He indicated/offered me £12k trade in on my car, same as he had on his forecourt for £17k. (Same model, mileage.year). Now I know these guys are a business but that's some margin.

All in, opted to keep existing car until things are more certain in terms of timings/costs.

That 17k, after vat, is about 14k. Plus a service and mot and any modest discount / deal to the next buyer. Less overheads.

Not a lot of meat in it for the dealer at all tbh.
Used cars. on 10:45 - Jul 2 with 858 viewssuffolkpoker

Used cars. on 10:33 - Jul 2 by ZXBlue

That 17k, after vat, is about 14k. Plus a service and mot and any modest discount / deal to the next buyer. Less overheads.

Not a lot of meat in it for the dealer at all tbh.

Not all vehicles are VAT registered. They will only pay VAT on there profit of the sale.
Service and MOT would be under £100 cost for a garage / dealership.

That’s a huge mark up even for main dealer

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024