Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town 12:25 - Jul 5 with 5405 viewscbower

Leigh in and Still looking to bring in another. Question mark against Ndaba's future to if this kid from Leeds can play cb , lb and lwb. 1 million plus add ons is serious money for us.

bluescouser

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:56 - Jul 5 with 759 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:50 - Jul 5 by HighgateBlue

Well how about this - during his actual time with us, his mean average performance score from the many hundreds of ratings of all our players on this website, was very significantly above any other player that season. And he won player of the year. At Ipswich. I thought it was stupid to let him go at the time, I said so, and I still think that. The evidence from what came afterwards simply proves that correct.

Because at the time. You're looking at making changes. You have a player of 32 who had managed just 17 games that season coming to the end of his contract. You have a financial pot available to make changes to the squad. Do you go the Evans route and play safe or spend a bit of what you have and get a younger fresher covering cb.

If he played 17 for Plymouth no one would be saying it was wrong to let him go.

There is no evidence to suggest its gone wrong either. We kept 17 clean sheets this season gone.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:59 - Jul 5 with 762 viewsBarcaBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:42 - Jul 5 by clive_baker

Let's be honest, he's pretty pony. As weak as p1ss and never looked particularly convincing in a Town shirt.

His defensive frailties made it appear that getting forward was his strong point. It was only strong in the sense that in those moments he wasn't defending.
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:06 - Jul 5 with 727 viewsBig_Jase

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:59 - Jul 5 by BarcaBlue

His defensive frailties made it appear that getting forward was his strong point. It was only strong in the sense that in those moments he wasn't defending.

Agreed, he is awful, although there does seem to a small fan club on here that will downvote every single negative comment about him. The performance at Plymouth away was school boy stuff.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:11 - Jul 5 with 715 viewsjayessess

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:36 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

It was a sht year. Christ people made jokes of who to vote for as POTY

When he played he was fine. Nothing special nothing bad. Absolutely fine. But he did have fitness issues. So it makes complete sense why he wasn't kept when his contract was up. He'd played 17 games in that season.
Aged 32. And people think it was wrong to let go??

Again no one moaned about burgess signing and no I don't see him in the picture going forwards under KM but he's the only one who knows that. But it doesn't mean it was the wrong direction last summer.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 13:41]

We're talking about hindsight, but the people running the club are supposed to have foresight, aren't they?

You're supposed to be good enough at squad planning that you aren't desperately casting about for a centre back in mid-August. You're supposed to be good enough at judging a player's underlying ability that you aren't recruiting Cam Burgess because you think he's better than Luke Woolfenden.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:16 - Jul 5 with 694 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:11 - Jul 5 by jayessess

We're talking about hindsight, but the people running the club are supposed to have foresight, aren't they?

You're supposed to be good enough at squad planning that you aren't desperately casting about for a centre back in mid-August. You're supposed to be good enough at judging a player's underlying ability that you aren't recruiting Cam Burgess because you think he's better than Luke Woolfenden.

Indeed and that opens up a different discussion in regards to the clubs summer spree last year.

This one is more about letting an older injury plagued player leave and an ageing captain as if they were wrong decisions at the time of making them.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:21 - Jul 5 with 675 viewsdavblue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 13:22 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Interesting you think we spent more on burgess than we did on morsy. 750k lol.

what was it then Mark?
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:23 - Jul 5 with 672 viewshype313

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:58 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

You'd have kept an ageing cb who just scrapped relegation with Colchester? I know he's a mate but come on Joe.

So Jealous.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:25 - Jul 5 with 658 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:23 - Jul 5 by hype313

So Jealous.

Yes I dream of chambers daily

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:25 - Jul 5 with 669 viewsGarv

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:06 - Jul 5 by Big_Jase

Agreed, he is awful, although there does seem to a small fan club on here that will downvote every single negative comment about him. The performance at Plymouth away was school boy stuff.

I'm sadly a member of said fan club, but you can't label perfectly adequate players as awful or pony and not expect to see some objection.

He's clearly not awful. I agree he was bad at Plymouth and he made a poor error, but I would argue that was a fairly isolated incident. Walton had a howler at Sunderland, it happens.

I liken Penney to Cresswell a bit when he arrived, obviously not the same quality but both quite good technically and could cross, but both weren't or aren't very physical and can be found out defensively. Cresswell had a spell of getting done at the far post at one stage. Just an example - I don't expect Penney to end up in the PL.

If the two incoming LBs, potentially, prove to be an upgrade then obviously I'm all for it. Just think MP gets a rough ride.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 14:29]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:27 - Jul 5 with 652 viewshype313

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:25 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Yes I dream of chambers daily

You think releasing Wilson and Chambers and then spending £750k on Burgess and give him a 3 year deal is sound business?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:28 - Jul 5 with 647 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:25 - Jul 5 by Garv

I'm sadly a member of said fan club, but you can't label perfectly adequate players as awful or pony and not expect to see some objection.

He's clearly not awful. I agree he was bad at Plymouth and he made a poor error, but I would argue that was a fairly isolated incident. Walton had a howler at Sunderland, it happens.

I liken Penney to Cresswell a bit when he arrived, obviously not the same quality but both quite good technically and could cross, but both weren't or aren't very physical and can be found out defensively. Cresswell had a spell of getting done at the far post at one stage. Just an example - I don't expect Penney to end up in the PL.

If the two incoming LBs, potentially, prove to be an upgrade then obviously I'm all for it. Just think MP gets a rough ride.

Careful. I said the same thing about Penney and Cresswell, it didn't go well. People take things to literal.

I liked Penney going forwards too. Of all the ones we tried he did at least try to whip the ball in.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:30 - Jul 5 with 631 viewsjayessess

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:16 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Indeed and that opens up a different discussion in regards to the clubs summer spree last year.

This one is more about letting an older injury plagued player leave and an ageing captain as if they were wrong decisions at the time of making them.

The point about squad planning and foresight is that these decisions aren't all made as one-off isolated decisions, but as contributions to a coherent and realistic plan to put together a good squad.

The question in May was "at a reasonable price, can we recruit at least 2 centre halves who are much better than Wilson and Chambers?" Our answer to that question was wrong.

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:33 - Jul 5 with 634 viewsBonneNIL

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 12:47 - Jul 5 by itfcjoe

Was so stupid to release Wilson and Chambers and then spend £750k on Burgess and give him a 3 year deal - he's just not very good.

Could have offered Wilson a 2 year deal, or Chambers a 1 year deal, on far less money than we will be paying Burgess and they'd have bitten our hand off for it

Let's be honest Alan Judge, Emyr Huws, Teddy Bishop, and Cole Skuse could have done the same jobs, Caroll, Edwards, and Harper did for us last season and would have cost half the money, even Sears would have scored more than Piggott and Jackson did, but that's not aligned to the "bomb squad" narrative Cook sold us when he decided to take a sledgehammer to things rather than fine-tune it.

At least had we kept Chambers we wouldn't have started the season without a captain, which in itself wasn't smart. I still pin most of last season's failure on the fact we signed Walton and Morsy too late, had we got those two in from the very start we would have done so much better.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:36 - Jul 5 with 620 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:30 - Jul 5 by jayessess

The point about squad planning and foresight is that these decisions aren't all made as one-off isolated decisions, but as contributions to a coherent and realistic plan to put together a good squad.

The question in May was "at a reasonable price, can we recruit at least 2 centre halves who are much better than Wilson and Chambers?" Our answer to that question was wrong.

Well is wasn't wrong was it. We got George who was an improvement on both and Burgess was younger and fitter than the one who'd just managed 17 games and could play lcb, So yes we covered both defenders leaving. Had wilson had the 42 game season he's just had back then, no I wouldn't have said Burgess was an improvement but we weren't in that situation.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:39 - Jul 5 with 608 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:27 - Jul 5 by hype313

You think releasing Wilson and Chambers and then spending £750k on Burgess and give him a 3 year deal is sound business?

I think releasing chambers and signing George was smart yes.

I think replacing a 32 year old who'd managed just 17 games that season with a 26 year old was solid business yes.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:41 - Jul 5 with 600 viewsBlueBadger

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:33 - Jul 5 by BonneNIL

Let's be honest Alan Judge, Emyr Huws, Teddy Bishop, and Cole Skuse could have done the same jobs, Caroll, Edwards, and Harper did for us last season and would have cost half the money, even Sears would have scored more than Piggott and Jackson did, but that's not aligned to the "bomb squad" narrative Cook sold us when he decided to take a sledgehammer to things rather than fine-tune it.

At least had we kept Chambers we wouldn't have started the season without a captain, which in itself wasn't smart. I still pin most of last season's failure on the fact we signed Walton and Morsy too late, had we got those two in from the very start we would have done so much better.

Huws. LOL.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:42 - Jul 5 with 594 viewshype313

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:39 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

I think releasing chambers and signing George was smart yes.

I think replacing a 32 year old who'd managed just 17 games that season with a 26 year old was solid business yes.

Yet we gained 1 point, for all that upheaval.

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:45 - Jul 5 with 571 viewsjayessess

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:36 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Well is wasn't wrong was it. We got George who was an improvement on both and Burgess was younger and fitter than the one who'd just managed 17 games and could play lcb, So yes we covered both defenders leaving. Had wilson had the 42 game season he's just had back then, no I wouldn't have said Burgess was an improvement but we weren't in that situation.

You know the thing I said about foresight...

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:45 - Jul 5 with 567 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:42 - Jul 5 by hype313

Yet we gained 1 point, for all that upheaval.

Are you saying releasing judge was wrong and we should have kept him over celina. Or sears should have stayed instead of Chaplin?

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:46 - Jul 5 with 570 viewsmarkchips

He get's a rough ride because he is not very good. Something of a half baked player , neither a winger nor a full back. Definitely not good enough defensively and , since we don't do left midfield any longer, surplus to requirements.
Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:54 - Jul 5 with 541 viewsGarv

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:33 - Jul 5 by BonneNIL

Would you still rather have all those old names ahead of the ones we have now then?
Would you also rather not have had Morsy and Walton at all?

We could have not made wholesale changes, or we could have got the likes of Morsy and Walton in early doors, finished 3rd and lost in a narrow play off final and been perceived to have had a good season...we'd still be in League One like we are now.

The ripping up of the squad was needed and overall we're better for it.

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:54 - Jul 5 with 536 viewshype313

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:45 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

Are you saying releasing judge was wrong and we should have kept him over celina. Or sears should have stayed instead of Chaplin?

Where did I say that?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:55 - Jul 5 with 537 viewsBig_Jase

Being an adequate squad player is subjective, and your opinion. In my opinion he is incredibly lucky to even be back up at a L1 club.

He is weak, always out of position and at best has an average delivery. I would be very surprised if he leaves here, he ends up at another L1 club. For me, comfortably the worst player in our squad.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:56 - Jul 5 with 527 viewsFrimleyBlue

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:45 - Jul 5 by jayessess

You know the thing I said about foresight...

You think the club should have expected wilson to be able to play 42 games when he'd managed previously

The last time he played over 40 games let alone even more than 30 games was back in 2015.

Waka waka eh eh

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 15:00 - Jul 5 with 522 viewsGarv

Can't see that Penney has a future at Town on 14:55 - Jul 5 by Big_Jase

Being an adequate squad player is subjective, and your opinion. In my opinion he is incredibly lucky to even be back up at a L1 club.

He is weak, always out of position and at best has an average delivery. I would be very surprised if he leaves here, he ends up at another L1 club. For me, comfortably the worst player in our squad.

See for me that's just well over the top, and I think most level headed folk would agree. Obviously it's opinions again so I'm not saying yours is wrong but 'lucky to be a back up L1 player' goes against a lot of evidence. You really think he'll struggle to get a L1 contract?

George Edmundson was on ifollow commentary on the last day against Charlton. He said Matt Penney had a 'wand of a left foot' and is 'one of if not the best crosser at the club'.

He could be the worst player in our squad but that wouldn't necessarily be an insult. We've got a very good squad.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024