Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here superstitious? 14:57 - Aug 2 with 1920 viewsSTYG

Right. Quite clearly superstition is utter nonsense. The thought that I could somehow influence how Town play by the colour of my pants or whether I've had a lucky fry up is absolutely mental. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be locked up.

However.

Last season I bought a Town shirt. Never really worn them much as an adult because they seemed to be a bit unlucky on the occasion I wore them. Bought one anyway. Laughed it off.

Went to the early home matches last season plus Burton and Cheltenham and guess what. Didn't win a single game. Went to Lincoln wearing an ITFC hoodie instead of the shirt. We won. Hoodie stayed with me on away days as we beat Wycombe and Fleetwood and didn't lose at Oxford or MK Dons.

Made the mistake of wearing it for Rotherham last season. But under McKenna we were playing like an automatic promotion side. So I dug shirt out for Cambridge at home didn't I.

Anyway. To fast forward I decided that shirt was unlucky. So bought the new one. After 30 minutes on Saturday I decided it was me all along somehow controlling the universe. So I covered up the shirt with a tracksuit top (despite being boiling) and we scored minutes later!

I mean clearly it's bloody stupid to believe otherwise. But how can I, in good conscience, wear it at FGR Saturday knowing the likely damage it'll do our promotion hopes.

Anyone here had any logic defying streaks with superstition? It must be something like 8 or 9 without a win wearing a Town shirt and 20 without defeat not wearing one (only home game I missed last year was Bolton). It's beyond stupid now!!!

* Clearly penalties / Pizza Cup don't count as it was also worn against Colchester.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 14:58]
Anyone here superstitious? on 14:58 - Aug 2 with 1747 viewsunbelievablue

If anything like this ever happens I intentionally try to 'break it' for my own sanity.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:59 - Aug 2 with 1737 viewsSTYG

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:58 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

If anything like this ever happens I intentionally try to 'break it' for my own sanity.

I'm seriously tempted to buy training tops and tracksuits before Saturday in the hope they don't seem to count and keep the shirt for non-matchdays.

It is quite literally an insane run. It's getting to Gareth Bale levels of Spurs not winning.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 14:59]
Anyone here superstitious? on 15:10 - Aug 2 with 1693 viewsKropotkin123

No, but I did a really quick poo when the Bolton game was on and I missed them get a penalty and score. It seemed the change we both needed though, as Town played better and I could enjoy the game much more.

I'll worry more about causation if the correlation continues into the next few games. I'll update if it goes from bad to worse.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Anyone here superstitious? on 15:16 - Aug 2 with 1676 viewsSTYG

Anyone here superstitious? on 15:10 - Aug 2 by Kropotkin123

No, but I did a really quick poo when the Bolton game was on and I missed them get a penalty and score. It seemed the change we both needed though, as Town played better and I could enjoy the game much more.

I'll worry more about causation if the correlation continues into the next few games. I'll update if it goes from bad to worse.

If you deduce that bad things happen to Town when you're on the pan, is that a case of 'no sh*t, Sherlock?'
Anyone here superstitious? on 15:45 - Aug 2 with 1617 viewsNthQldITFC

I will never, ever, admit to be superstitious on a Tuesday.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:00 - Aug 3 with 1437 viewsSamWhiteUK

Not an item as such, but I don't remember the last time I saw a loss in person. I don't go to many games, admittedly, and I've seen plenty of draws where we should've won, but can't remember a loss
Anyone here superstitious? on 13:04 - Aug 3 with 1426 viewsParsley

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:32 - Aug 3 with 1362 viewsthorpedo

I don't think I'll ever have a problem with being superstitious, touch wood.

Thorpedo

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:41 - Aug 3 with 1327 viewschicoazul

Matteo Sereni always said “superstition is for weak men” and look what happened to him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:05 - Aug 3 with 1296 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

If you were superstitious and an Ipswich fan for the last 20 years surely you’d have broken every single habit a long time ago.
Anyone here superstitious? on 14:11 - Aug 3 with 1293 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Linked with my mental stuff (posted on here about having Trich where i in bad spells have ripped out my eyelashes with no ability to control it), and also having been suicidal many moons ago (were talking 7 years ago now when I was in that space stood at a train station at the bottom of a very bad spiral. I’ve never told TWTD about that last stuff. I was posting on here at the time and still never said anything but I did go on a break afterwards and went and got some help which was crucial.

But pretty much since that day onwards, I don’t eat anything in odd numbers. No idea why. But for instance a packet of chicken nuggets, I’ll never ever eat the odd number. Same with the TV channel, has to be on an even number for volume or I will sit there and stress out and make sure it’s level.

Have always wondered if the even number stuff is superstition or whether it’s linked with the deeper stuff at the top. I don’t think I’ll ever know but I find it fascinating because even though I’m fully aware how weird it is, I can’t describe how much better I feel when I know it’s on number 28 volume for example and that it’s balanced.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:20 - Aug 3 with 1270 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:59 - Aug 2 by STYG

I'm seriously tempted to buy training tops and tracksuits before Saturday in the hope they don't seem to count and keep the shirt for non-matchdays.

It is quite literally an insane run. It's getting to Gareth Bale levels of Spurs not winning.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 14:59]

Even though the evidence points to training tops leading to draws???

MADNESS!!!

Hoodies only, from now on, please*!

* Just not in a "Carry on England", "You heard him girls!" kind of way!
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 14:21]
Anyone here superstitious? on 14:24 - Aug 3 with 1247 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:11 - Aug 3 by The_Romford_Blue

Linked with my mental stuff (posted on here about having Trich where i in bad spells have ripped out my eyelashes with no ability to control it), and also having been suicidal many moons ago (were talking 7 years ago now when I was in that space stood at a train station at the bottom of a very bad spiral. I’ve never told TWTD about that last stuff. I was posting on here at the time and still never said anything but I did go on a break afterwards and went and got some help which was crucial.

But pretty much since that day onwards, I don’t eat anything in odd numbers. No idea why. But for instance a packet of chicken nuggets, I’ll never ever eat the odd number. Same with the TV channel, has to be on an even number for volume or I will sit there and stress out and make sure it’s level.

Have always wondered if the even number stuff is superstition or whether it’s linked with the deeper stuff at the top. I don’t think I’ll ever know but I find it fascinating because even though I’m fully aware how weird it is, I can’t describe how much better I feel when I know it’s on number 28 volume for example and that it’s balanced.

People who have volume on an odd number are wrong 'uns, plain and simple. 17 is for weak minded people who can't decide between 16 and 18.

And good on you for opening up about stuff.
Anyone here superstitious? on 14:33 - Aug 3 with 1231 viewsKropotkin123

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:24 - Aug 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

People who have volume on an odd number are wrong 'uns, plain and simple. 17 is for weak minded people who can't decide between 16 and 18.

And good on you for opening up about stuff.

I'll often have our TV on 15. And 13 is my birthday, so I went out of my way to use the number 13 often, because people say it was bad luck. When I was a kid, there was no number 13 down the street I lived...!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:35 - Aug 3 with 1222 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:33 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

I'll often have our TV on 15. And 13 is my birthday, so I went out of my way to use the number 13 often, because people say it was bad luck. When I was a kid, there was no number 13 down the street I lived...!

I've committed to calling you a wrong 'un, and I ain't gonna Liz Truss my way out of it!
Anyone here superstitious? on 20:36 - Aug 6 with 1039 viewsSTYG

UPDATE!

Wore the shirt. We won. Curse broken. F*** you superstition.
Anyone here superstitious? on 20:42 - Aug 6 with 1010 viewsbazza

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:32 - Aug 3 by thorpedo

I don't think I'll ever have a problem with being superstitious, touch wood.

This deserved far more recognition..
Anyone here superstitious? on 21:32 - Aug 6 with 945 viewsKropotkin123

Anyone here superstitious? on 20:36 - Aug 6 by STYG

UPDATE!

Wore the shirt. We won. Curse broken. F*** you superstition.

I didn't poo and we still conceded...

Anyone here superstitious? on 22:00 - Aug 6 with 918 viewsfabian_illness

As it's pretty obvious that adults don't wear replica football shirts, just wear it for PE until you finish school.
Hope that helps.
Anyone here superstitious? on 09:36 - Aug 7 with 828 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:11 - Aug 3 by The_Romford_Blue

Don't want to diagnose you but that sounds like OCD rather than superstition.

Doesn't seem like a problem though, a mild case. Glad you're over your suicidal phase - I've been through it so feel free to message me on here or FB if ever you need to.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone here superstitious? on 09:37 - Aug 7 with 825 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I always take my trousers and pants down before having a sh!t, never the other way round.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:13 - Aug 7 with 774 viewsThrobbe

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:27 - Aug 7 with 746 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone here superstitious? on 09:36 - Aug 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Don't want to diagnose you but that sounds like OCD rather than superstition.

Doesn't seem like a problem though, a mild case. Glad you're over your suicidal phase - I've been through it so feel free to message me on here or FB if ever you need to.

Thanks. Twas many many years ago. Quite frankly over a few months things just got on top. I think over the last 6/7 years since then, there’s a lot more openness and discussion about mental health which is massive.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Anyone here superstitious? on 13:47 - Aug 7 with 702 viewsjeera

I genuinely struggle to see how anyone thinks they have the power to influence the outcome of a match depending on what they're wearing or whatever rituals they perform that morning.

I once met this woman who thought she could make clouds move by staring at them though.

What was actually happening is she would stare at one until it finally moved.

She would then look around at everyone silently taking credit.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone here superstitious? on 14:24 - Aug 7 with 676 viewsNthQldITFC

Anyone here superstitious? on 09:37 - Aug 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

I always take my trousers and pants down before having a sh!t, never the other way round.

On a similar theme, I've been fined thousands for leaving dog sh!t lying around. My problem is that the sign says "Always clean up after your dog", and so far she has shown no inclination whatsoever to do her bit, so I am still waiting. The judge won't have it though.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024