Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Radio Suffolk ... no more 16:29 - Aug 11 with 10293 viewsDJR

as the Proclaimers might say.

I emailed Marcus Nash first and then Scott Paul to request the club retain BBC Radio Suffolk for the audio coverage, just as Forest TV last season used BBC Radio Nottingham for the audio coverage last season.

The following response from Scott Paul (thanks, but no thanks) indicates they won't be shifted whatever we say. It's clearly engagement with the fans but only on their terms. And the reference to a careful process of consideration hides the fact that they didn't even consider fans who might be listening on audio only until it was pointed out to them.

"Whilst I understand your disappointment at the switch away from BBC Radio Suffolk commentary on iFollow, I do thank you for your continued support over this, past, and seasons to come.

As with anything of this nature, a careful process of consideration was completed before the Club decided to proceed with an in-house commentary team. Chiefly, this decision was formed due to the phase-out of iFollow that is planned towards the end of this campaign, when the Club plans to introduce TownTV.

The move away from BBC Radio Suffolk has allowed us to introduce a more contemporary show presentation, where co-commentary from current players and recent ex-players allows the Club to provide a unique voice/perspective to proceedings. In turn , this will enable us to convey more key Club messages to a greater extent than we would be permitted via BBC Radio Suffolk

As you will have noticed from comments during my recent interview, Glenn Wheeler (our chief commentator) has been briefed to commentate with a more radio audio-descriptive style in future, which will only improve as he voices more iFollow presentations. I am sure that people soon become more accustomed to his commentary style and be able to enjoy the Ipswich games that he brings to life.

Many thanks for your email and observations."

[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 16:33]
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:50 - Aug 11 with 1824 viewshoppy

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:25 - Aug 11 by DJR

Yes, it was shocking. And the 15 minutes silence at half time made me think my 4G was down. As I emailed Scott Paul, the impression I got was that the whole thing was being done on the cheap, and I told him that I wouldn't be buying an audio pass again.

This bit I've seen a few people mention, about the 15 minutes dead time at half time... the times when I'd watched the iFollow matches last season, this was always the way, as we would turn the radio on at half time to continue hearing Brenner and Mick/Alex giving their thoughts on the first half. It was never through iFollow, as far as I'm aware.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:52 - Aug 11 with 1827 viewsBlueForYou

For years I was frustrated by not being able to listen to the Radio Suffolk commentary when I lived away from the local area. I used to attend the occasional away game but not every one, & very few home games. Theres probably quite a few thousand of you that recognise that frustration. Why can't we listen to a football commentary of our team from anywhere when we pay the BBC licence fee? I have moved back within the local area, so have no idea if the stupid ban on access still applies? It probably does & needs to be sorted asap.
Innit on 17:57 - Aug 11 with 1805 viewsDyland

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:43 - Aug 11 by monty_radio

I think you'll find that those who were pro Brenner far outweighed the opposite. Don't remember if he was criticised for celebrating, but I do recall that some slated him for giving credit to good opposition play.

In the dark Lockdown days I had the misfortune to listen to club-supporting commentary (Accrington springs to mind). Personally, I have nothing but admiration for Brenner's work as a first-rate example of being knowlegeable, fair yet clearly a fan. I don't want my commentary sounding like some bloke two rows behind who cries foul everry time one of our own is touched - and some of those i-Follow away commentaries weren't far short of that mouthy sterotype.

though not sure Brenner is a Town fan....

It's top notch commentary. I listened to the away BBC ones during lockdown to see if they were any good and a couple were decent but I genuinely thought Brenner and Mick et al were among the A list.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:02 - Aug 11 with 1805 viewsPhilTWTD

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:52 - Aug 11 by BlueForYou

For years I was frustrated by not being able to listen to the Radio Suffolk commentary when I lived away from the local area. I used to attend the occasional away game but not every one, & very few home games. Theres probably quite a few thousand of you that recognise that frustration. Why can't we listen to a football commentary of our team from anywhere when we pay the BBC licence fee? I have moved back within the local area, so have no idea if the stupid ban on access still applies? It probably does & needs to be sorted asap.

Internet commentary rights are separate from radio rights, therefore BBC Suffolk don't have the rights to broadcast on the Internet, hence the block on RS during games which will continue.
Pedantry alert on 18:05 - Aug 11 with 1782 viewsDyland

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:02 - Aug 11 by PhilTWTD

Internet commentary rights are separate from radio rights, therefore BBC Suffolk don't have the rights to broadcast on the Internet, hence the block on RS during games which will continue.

There should be a full stop instead of the first comma, and the word therefore removed.

More to the point, not getting RS on iFollow is a shame imo but maybe the new jazzy corporate sales format will come good :)

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:07 - Aug 11 with 1774 viewsblueislander

But you can listen to BBC Radio stations on the internet. Why is then Radio Suffolk football commentary blocked? What am I missing?
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:10 - Aug 11 with 1755 viewsDarkHorse

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:43 - Aug 11 by monty_radio

I think you'll find that those who were pro Brenner far outweighed the opposite. Don't remember if he was criticised for celebrating, but I do recall that some slated him for giving credit to good opposition play.

In the dark Lockdown days I had the misfortune to listen to club-supporting commentary (Accrington springs to mind). Personally, I have nothing but admiration for Brenner's work as a first-rate example of being knowlegeable, fair yet clearly a fan. I don't want my commentary sounding like some bloke two rows behind who cries foul everry time one of our own is touched - and some of those i-Follow away commentaries weren't far short of that mouthy sterotype.

Hhmm, not sure about that, the criticism of his (apparent) over-celebrating of opposition goals has popped up here pretty frequently over the years, but obviously those who shout the loudest, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I'd have preferred us to keep RS coverage, and I thought the commentary for the first game was abysmal, but they were better against FGR - well, the main commentator was, the co-commentator may as well not have been there - so give them a chance. Appreciate that I'm only listening to it whilst watching the stream though, so I'm not as reliant on them as audio-only subs are.

My initial post was a little snarky, but there has been so much negativity on here about nearly everything in the last week.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:16 - Aug 11 with 1744 viewsDyland

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:07 - Aug 11 by blueislander

But you can listen to BBC Radio stations on the internet. Why is then Radio Suffolk football commentary blocked? What am I missing?

Sports rights innit buh

Login to get fewer ads

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:16 - Aug 11 with 1749 viewsPhilTWTD

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:07 - Aug 11 by blueislander

That Radio Suffolk only has the rights to broadcast over the airwaves, FM, DAB etc, not the Internet. The club has those rights, hence RS not available online during games.
Pedantry alert on 18:17 - Aug 11 with 1734 viewsPhilTWTD

Pedantry alert on 18:05 - Aug 11 by Dyland

There should be a full stop instead of the first comma, and the word therefore removed.

More to the point, not getting RS on iFollow is a shame imo but maybe the new jazzy corporate sales format will come good :)

Ha, maybe!
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:19 - Aug 11 with 1733 viewsIllinoisblue

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:50 - Aug 11 by hoppy

This bit I've seen a few people mention, about the 15 minutes dead time at half time... the times when I'd watched the iFollow matches last season, this was always the way, as we would turn the radio on at half time to continue hearing Brenner and Mick/Alex giving their thoughts on the first half. It was never through iFollow, as far as I'm aware.

The radio Suffolk half time coverage was on iFollow, or at least it was for international fans. Always felt good to hear some rum ol Suffolk boi reporting on Leiston Town or a Felixstowe game. Nice little slice of home. Gone now so the club can run s5itty ads for planet blue.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:26 - Aug 11 with 1724 viewsblueislander

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:16 - Aug 11 by PhilTWTD

That Radio Suffolk only has the rights to broadcast over the airwaves, FM, DAB etc, not the Internet. The club has those rights, hence RS not available online during games.

So, Radio Suffolk has a different contract to Radio 5 live who do broadcast live commentaries? I find that strange.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:30 - Aug 11 with 1717 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:47 - Aug 11 by StewartIsNowLimping

Moaning for the sake of moaning was a touch antagonistic, apologies.

But I still think the club need to be given time to get it right. Writing it off after three games of this season seems harsh. They're also proving to be receptive to feedback, so you'd like to think the product will improve in time.

Yes it gives them a platform to sell stuff, but it also allows the club to promote itself. E.g. the work in the community, which can't be viewed as a bad thing.

If it were free that would be fine. I mentioned to Scott Paul that I didn't get value for my £2.50 on Saturday, and perhaps it would be a gesture to offer to reimburse those who complain until it is better.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:32 - Aug 11 with 1714 viewsDanTheMan

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:19 - Aug 11 by Illinoisblue

The radio Suffolk half time coverage was on iFollow, or at least it was for international fans. Always felt good to hear some rum ol Suffolk boi reporting on Leiston Town or a Felixstowe game. Nice little slice of home. Gone now so the club can run s5itty ads for planet blue.

I genuinely don't get it. People buying these streams are going to be club fans and will know that the shop exists. It's not like a traditional broadcast.

Maybe you could do offers or something I guess but it all feels so unnecessary. Hopefully they get better (and a stable pairing would help) but at the moment it's nowhere near as good as Brenner and Mick.

Unfortunately not living in Suffolk I don't even have the option.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:32 - Aug 11 with 1713 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

That's a decent response from them to be fair.

As much as I think Brenner's an excellent commentator, and I enjoy Mick/Mathie et al as the sidekicks, they do make reasonable points here. Unfortunately, running things more professionally will include some things we're not so keen on at first. At the end of the day, they are doing what's in the best interests of the club long term, IMO.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:34 - Aug 11 with 1716 viewsBent_double

I've subscribed to the audio service for as long as it's been available. I've always found Brenner and his co-commentators to be informative and entertaining - sure he (Brenner) does sometimes seem to go OTT with an opposition goal, but lets be honest, he's not had too much to celebrate since he started commentating!

Anyway, not too impressed with the new lot - I'll stick with it for now, as more often than not it's the best option for me - I can walk around the house with an earpod in listening to the game whilst doing other stuff.

I can get a really weak BBC Suffolk signal on my car radio, but only if it's parked outside, weirdly - I've tried a number of different radios in the house, but nothing else picks up the FM signal - so if things don't improve, I guess sitting out in the car on a matchday is another option!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:35 - Aug 11 with 1712 viewsPioneerBlue

Whether it’s Twitter or other social media, we’ve had to put up with persistent moans about Bren and his over zealous fanboy shouting for the opposition goals. He’s obviously a talented commentator otherwise he wouldnt be with the beeb. However, now the club has made a decision to take a different path, which seems commercially advantageous to us and therefore the supporters, we’ve got others wanting Bren back. This is only to be expected.

I’m not completely sure what the independent commentary comments mean in this context, what is the fear, fake news? I’m sure there is a small chance we are duped into believing we’ve won 5 nil but in fact we lost 8-1, or the referee lost us the game when in fact it was our own poor decisions to commit a professional foul…

The good news is, if we have feedback on commentary style, the club is open to discussing, they should take onboard consistent feedback over time, otherwise people will not buy the package. I’d expect any early hiccups to be overcome pretty quickly. If not, I’m sure the club will explore other commentary options in time.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:35 - Aug 11 with 1704 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:05 - Aug 11 by DarkHorse

People moaned when RS did commentary because Brenner sounded excited when a goal went in, now they're moaning that we've got rid of them.

Moan, moan, moan.

These aren't the same people.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:35 - Aug 11 with 1706 viewsDyland

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:34 - Aug 11 by Bent_double

I've subscribed to the audio service for as long as it's been available. I've always found Brenner and his co-commentators to be informative and entertaining - sure he (Brenner) does sometimes seem to go OTT with an opposition goal, but lets be honest, he's not had too much to celebrate since he started commentating!

Anyway, not too impressed with the new lot - I'll stick with it for now, as more often than not it's the best option for me - I can walk around the house with an earpod in listening to the game whilst doing other stuff.

I can get a really weak BBC Suffolk signal on my car radio, but only if it's parked outside, weirdly - I've tried a number of different radios in the house, but nothing else picks up the FM signal - so if things don't improve, I guess sitting out in the car on a matchday is another option!

Is your car normally parked in the house?

(runs away)

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:38 - Aug 11 with 1706 viewsDubtractor

I appreciate that most of the complaints are from audio only listeners, but I thought the commentary for the TV version was actually decent for the forest green game.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Oh ffs on 18:46 - Aug 11 with 1690 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oh ffs on 17:33 - Aug 11 by Dyland

This odd 'Brenner wants the oppo to win' trope rears its head every week and is the about the only thing that makes me long for the close season on here.

On a related note I like RS's 'biased' but fair, and above all non sales commentary, and Brenner and Mick do a sterling job (notwithstanding the latter's comedy tone of voice, which he can't help), but hey ho. As long as you are happy this change is to advertise and flog all things Towen during the match commentary. Fair enough if that's your thing, and anyway maybe it will be excellent with the different guests etc. somewhere down the line.

If people actually listened to what Brenner says, there are countless examples to show he favours Town. I like that he tells it how it is rather than gushing about us. And the rise in his voice conveys his genuine excitement at a big moment, IMO. I think some get a bit butt-hurt because it happens when the opposition score as well as when we do and their egos are so fragile they want someone to convey their misery.

Well they've got what they want now. Having listened to some of the other biased-to-their-own-clubs commentators I'd rather Brenner's honesty.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:47 - Aug 11 with 1684 viewsBent_double

Oh, just remembered, Freeview channel 720 I think will also give you BBC Suffolk with full match commentary, so that's what I'll be doing in future (just need to re-route a tv ariel cable first), so the club will be losing my (albeit) small amount of revenue in the near future.

Not sure if that's the case all over the country though?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:49 - Aug 11 with 1682 viewsIllinoisblue

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:32 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

I genuinely don't get it. People buying these streams are going to be club fans and will know that the shop exists. It's not like a traditional broadcast.

Maybe you could do offers or something I guess but it all feels so unnecessary. Hopefully they get better (and a stable pairing would help) but at the moment it's nowhere near as good as Brenner and Mick.

Unfortunately not living in Suffolk I don't even have the option.

Thankfully I only heard two ads during the FGR game, first half telling us the new shirt is available to buy in the club shop. Second half mentioned to go online to buy tickets. What fan wouldn’t know how or where to buy a shirt or ticket? As you say, maybe they’ll plug promos on there too but again most fans would see/hear that here, on the club site or in the EADT/Star. It’s literally ads to the most captive audience you’ll ever have. We’re not shopping elsewhere!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:51 - Aug 11 with 1681 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:52 - Aug 11 by BlueForYou

Yeah it's a good point, why can only local people hear Radio Suffolk on a matchday? What exactly is the point of that rule?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:53 - Aug 11 with 1675 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We should all chip in to get them those rights. I'm willing to donate an Audi.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024