Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Radio Suffolk ... no more 16:29 - Aug 11 with 10296 viewsDJR

as the Proclaimers might say.

I emailed Marcus Nash first and then Scott Paul to request the club retain BBC Radio Suffolk for the audio coverage, just as Forest TV last season used BBC Radio Nottingham for the audio coverage last season.

The following response from Scott Paul (thanks, but no thanks) indicates they won't be shifted whatever we say. It's clearly engagement with the fans but only on their terms. And the reference to a careful process of consideration hides the fact that they didn't even consider fans who might be listening on audio only until it was pointed out to them.

"Whilst I understand your disappointment at the switch away from BBC Radio Suffolk commentary on iFollow, I do thank you for your continued support over this, past, and seasons to come.

As with anything of this nature, a careful process of consideration was completed before the Club decided to proceed with an in-house commentary team. Chiefly, this decision was formed due to the phase-out of iFollow that is planned towards the end of this campaign, when the Club plans to introduce TownTV.

The move away from BBC Radio Suffolk has allowed us to introduce a more contemporary show presentation, where co-commentary from current players and recent ex-players allows the Club to provide a unique voice/perspective to proceedings. In turn , this will enable us to convey more key Club messages to a greater extent than we would be permitted via BBC Radio Suffolk

As you will have noticed from comments during my recent interview, Glenn Wheeler (our chief commentator) has been briefed to commentate with a more radio audio-descriptive style in future, which will only improve as he voices more iFollow presentations. I am sure that people soon become more accustomed to his commentary style and be able to enjoy the Ipswich games that he brings to life.

Many thanks for your email and observations."

[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 16:33]
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:03 - Aug 12 with 929 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 00:06 - Aug 12 by Matt_Netherlands

Was this on Tuesday night by any chance? If so the cup games were available for online BBC radio suffolk streaming

No wasn't on Tuesday. Pretty sure it was away Sat games. Next time we have one I'll try it and report back!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:12 - Aug 12 with 917 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:03 - Aug 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

No wasn't on Tuesday. Pretty sure it was away Sat games. Next time we have one I'll try it and report back!

I've downloaded the Online Radio UK: Dab Radio app because it is supposed to broadcast the BBC Suffolk DAB station, and I am hoping that will work too. I'll be at the game tomorrow, and will see if it works on my phone. I'll report back if it does.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 16:13]
Oh ffs on 16:39 - Aug 12 with 879 viewsbalcombeblue

Oh ffs on 22:54 - Aug 11 by textbackup

i dont think he favours the opposition, but you simply cant deny the screams of almost excitement when the opposition score, over the seemingly dull tone he takes when town score.

And if you, as i know you love to argue, really cant see this, go and listen to the goals from saturdays game. Morsy got a "oh and thats a lovely finish" in a tone that had me, my missus and sister all sat 3 meters at most from radio not realise we'd score..... to FGR 1 st goal, then their offside goal.... he squealed like a pig.

Go and listen before you come back trying to argue against that.

Agreed fully on that.

Although the excitement in his voice may have been trying to hear himself over the home crowd?
Oh ffs on 16:48 - Aug 12 with 869 viewsDJR

Oh ffs on 22:54 - Aug 11 by textbackup

i dont think he favours the opposition, but you simply cant deny the screams of almost excitement when the opposition score, over the seemingly dull tone he takes when town score.

And if you, as i know you love to argue, really cant see this, go and listen to the goals from saturdays game. Morsy got a "oh and thats a lovely finish" in a tone that had me, my missus and sister all sat 3 meters at most from radio not realise we'd score..... to FGR 1 st goal, then their offside goal.... he squealed like a pig.

Go and listen before you come back trying to argue against that.

I read somewhere that it wasn't clear that Morsy had scored which may explain Brenner's lack of reaction. On the in-house audio commentary, it was not clear that either team had scored because the commentary was so detached from the match. But perhaps this is the masterplan, to bamboozle people as to what is going on, so that they go away thinking Ipswich have won when they have lost.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:13 - Aug 12 with 852 viewsxrayspecs

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 10:52 - Aug 12 by hoppy

I've not seen a reduction on the beer prices that have jumped up to £5.25 a pint (or can) this season and the doing away with the good value 'pie and pint' deal in Beatties, even though that was highlighted after the Bolton game... I assume they're just working on getting that right too?

<insert tongue in cheek emoji>

What I find amusing is engagement equates to agreement in the minds of some people.

ITFC will never get everything right, but they do seem open to discussions which is a real contrast to previous ownership.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:10 - Aug 12 with 831 viewscoolcat

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 11:47 - Aug 12 by jayessess

yeah, I presume we pay RS a fee to use their audio but it can't be a huge amount of money, can it? Not like there's any benefit to RS to going dark on the internet for 90 minutes every week.

(alternately, if we control the rights to online audio commentary on our games, could we not just sell it/gift it to Radio Suffolk and people who want it can find it on the BBC RS website?)

Re cost, I was wondering how other clubs manage to provide separate radio and tv commentary like Notts Forest, Norwich. Hence, my earlier comment about being given the option for either RS or tv commentary. Those clubs obviously looked into it. I wonder how much research was done and consideration, if any, was given to ifollow audio listeners, as the new commentary is currently geared towards those watching.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 18:12]
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:28 - Aug 12 with 811 viewsSkip_Intro

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:10 - Aug 12 by coolcat

Re cost, I was wondering how other clubs manage to provide separate radio and tv commentary like Notts Forest, Norwich. Hence, my earlier comment about being given the option for either RS or tv commentary. Those clubs obviously looked into it. I wonder how much research was done and consideration, if any, was given to ifollow audio listeners, as the new commentary is currently geared towards those watching.

to be fair the new commentary is geared towards saving the club money by employing a cheap commentator with no experience who is clearly learning on the job and using squad players as free analysts...
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:26 - Aug 12 with 785 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 18:10 - Aug 12 by coolcat

In a sane world that would be the answer but I feel this is a case where Ashton is wedded to the Robins TV model. And he is happy to have people like Marcus Nash and Scott Paul take the flack/play the nice guy for a decision they have no control over.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 19:31]
Login to get fewer ads

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:40 - Aug 12 with 761 viewscoolcat

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:26 - Aug 12 by DJR

In a sane world that would be the answer but I feel this is a case where Ashton is wedded to the Robins TV model. And he is happy to have people like Marcus Nash and Scott Paul take the flack/play the nice guy for a decision they have no control over.

As it stands it does appear atm they want to stick stubbornly to it. Worked for them before but no guarantee it will work here. A shame as other clubs have demonstrated that it's possible to do both. They clearly underestimated those who listen on ifollow audio.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:46 - Aug 12 with 751 viewsjeera

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:40 - Aug 12 by coolcat

As it stands it does appear atm they want to stick stubbornly to it. Worked for them before but no guarantee it will work here. A shame as other clubs have demonstrated that it's possible to do both. They clearly underestimated those who listen on ifollow audio.

In truth the best impact an email could have would be to link these threads so they can see for themselves there's not only some strong feeling but also coupled with sensible reasoning.

No one is throwing their toys out for the sake of it, but instead are openly discussing why the new set-up isn't a good idea for anyone.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 20:08 - Aug 12 with 732 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 19:26 - Aug 12 by DJR

I was wrong about Robins TV as it offers BBC Bristol audio coverage, so I don't really understand what the hell is going on, and why they are so wedded to not offering BBC Radio Suffolk. Someone did mention that it might not be possible to have different commentaries on I-follow for video and audio, and my email to them acknowledged that they might not be able to change things for this season. But my request for BBC Suffolk to be available next season when Town TV is up and running was rejected. All very mysterious.

EDIT: Perhaps they've been duped into signing a contract with a production company (Three Cameras Productions?) thinking it will bring them riches in the form of income from advertising, but completely ignoring audio listeners, and now can't get out of it. But as others have pointed out, how much additional revenue can they really generate from the audio-only coverage?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2022 8:17]
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:00 - Aug 15 with 562 viewsBurleysGloryDays

I have to say i think it's a good thing. I grew up listening to BBC Radio Suffolk commentary and i hope it's not going anywhere, ie it remains an option for people.

But the BBC Radio Suffolk commentary was so often so downbeat, compared to almost every other club commentary. I think it was feeding some cynicism and bad vibes around the club. I used to look forward to away teams' commentators as they were often more exciting and got more into it.

Interesting to hear more about TownTV!

We need lots more great content from everywhere.

After a win like the weekend i want to read and watch coverage for hours and there are only a couple of articles here and there...
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:10 - Aug 15 with 537 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:00 - Aug 15 by BurleysGloryDays

I have to say i think it's a good thing. I grew up listening to BBC Radio Suffolk commentary and i hope it's not going anywhere, ie it remains an option for people.

But the BBC Radio Suffolk commentary was so often so downbeat, compared to almost every other club commentary. I think it was feeding some cynicism and bad vibes around the club. I used to look forward to away teams' commentators as they were often more exciting and got more into it.

Interesting to hear more about TownTV!

We need lots more great content from everywhere.

After a win like the weekend i want to read and watch coverage for hours and there are only a couple of articles here and there...

Even without football commentary for those outside Suffolk, on BBC Suffolk there's Graham Mac at 6pm on a Thursday, and Life's a Pitch at 12 noon, and Final Whistle at 5pm, on a Saturday. All are available on BBC Sounds, discuss Ipswich and feature people like John Wark, Terry Butcher and Russell Osman. All are very worth listening too, and Life's a Pitch features the legendary Phil Ham. There are also the excellent Blue Monday and KOA (EADT) podcasts which discuss Ipswich.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 16:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024