Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? 19:25 - Sep 1 with 6154 viewsFromReuserWithLove

'give your head a wobble'
'our fanbase is....'
'melt'
'pathway'
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:53 - Sep 1 with 1209 viewsfactual_blue

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 20:37 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

I find "boils my piss" particularly unpleasant.

Although that's how you boil your eggs, isn't it?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:53 - Sep 1 with 1210 viewsfabian_illness

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:33 - Sep 1 by mrfixit426

I struggle with the new terminology for things we already have words for:

ghosting
gaslighting
catfishing
no cap and capping

and many others.

Ghosting- what kids do at Halloween.
Gaslighting- what you do to the hob so you can heat your beans.
Catfishing- rescuing a cat from a paddling pool.
Capping- is what energy companies work to.

Easy.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:54 - Sep 1 with 1203 viewsfactual_blue

'game management'.

That'll be time-wasting then.

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:57 - Sep 1 with 1188 viewsfactual_blue

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:53 - Sep 1 by fabian_illness

Ghosting- what kids do at Halloween.
Gaslighting- what you do to the hob so you can heat your beans.
Catfishing- rescuing a cat from a paddling pool.
Capping- is what energy companies work to.

Easy.

Gaslight is a fine film, directed by George Cukor and starring Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten.

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:00 - Sep 1 with 1167 viewsRyorry

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 20:41 - Sep 1 by J2BLUE

Judging by the dictionary definition that one isn't an issue.

Obviously that doesn't mean it can't annoy you.

Which dictionary did you use?

" ... Although it is grammatically correct to say a number of people, in casual English it is common to hear the amount of people. The amount of people is frequently used but not actually right. Be aware of this especially in formal situations or English language tests. 27 Jan 2015"

https://www.quora.com/Grammarians-why-should-we-write-the-number-of-people-who-a

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:00 - Sep 1 with 1176 viewsfactual_blue

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:12 - Sep 1 by Rocky

"It's your round."

Buying a round was prohibited in the UK in WW1. (The No Treating Order of October 1915)

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:05 - Sep 1 with 1150 viewsRyorry

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 21:33 - Sep 1 by mrfixit426

I struggle with the new terminology for things we already have words for:

ghosting
gaslighting
catfishing
no cap and capping

and many others.

"Ghosting" and "gaslighting" are both annoying primarily because very few people actually understand what they mean, least of all the people who use them frequently & loosely.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:11 - Sep 1 with 1140 viewsCoastalblue

One of the clients today must have said 'is the juice worth the squeeze' at least 25 times. First couple I thought it was an OK term, by about the 12th I was grinding my teeth, and my gears and boiled my piss.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:20 - Sep 1 with 1121 viewsFBI

Medalling. Sounds too much like meddling, and given the stories coming out of some athletics coaching establishments, probably best avoided.

I'm not gonna lie/to be (if I'm) honest. Implying that you would do the opposite under other circumstances but this time is an exception.

Shoooooottttt! He's 30 yards out and you're a tw@t.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:27 - Sep 1 with 1093 viewsmrfixit426

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:20 - Sep 1 by FBI

Medalling. Sounds too much like meddling, and given the stories coming out of some athletics coaching establishments, probably best avoided.

I'm not gonna lie/to be (if I'm) honest. Implying that you would do the opposite under other circumstances but this time is an exception.

Shoooooottttt! He's 30 yards out and you're a tw@t.

The "shooooooooottt!" has got old really fast.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:27 - Sep 1 with 1092 viewsEnigma_Blue

Bazball
Jesus wept
Have a word with yourself.
Straw man
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:43 - Sep 1 with 1060 viewsMattinLondon

‘Modern football’ and ‘proper’ as in proper team or supporters.

Both are used by people who are stuck it’s the 80s.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:49 - Sep 1 with 1041 viewsfabian_illness

Using the word 'bang' for emphasis.

You are not Keith Lemon.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:51 - Sep 1 with 1039 viewsjeera

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:00 - Sep 1 by factual_blue

Buying a round was prohibited in the UK in WW1. (The No Treating Order of October 1915)

What about buying a round as in a single bullet?

Or a slice of bread?

I was never keen on the 'rounds' thing as far as sandwiches go: "How many rounds would you like?"

I didn't know if one meant I would get a whole a sandwich or just half.

I think that's a Suffolk thing and I was new.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 23:33 - Sep 1 with 1005 viewsmylittletown

'to die for'
'he/she's my rock'
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 23:35 - Sep 1 with 994 viewsWeWereZombies

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:51 - Sep 1 by jeera

What about buying a round as in a single bullet?

Or a slice of bread?

I was never keen on the 'rounds' thing as far as sandwiches go: "How many rounds would you like?"

I didn't know if one meant I would get a whole a sandwich or just half.

I think that's a Suffolk thing and I was new.

A round of sandwiches is two slices of bread, buttered, with a filling. Curious thing is that the round is square.

Anyway, and this may not be popular with one or two of the TWTD management, but 'the likes of'. Sounds demeaning to whoever is being written or talked about, is imprecise and makes a judgement for the reader or listener without backing it up.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 09:20 - Sep 2 with 879 viewsRadlett_blue

Cliches ain't what they used to be, Brian.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 09:38 - Sep 2 with 869 viewsWeWereZombies

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 09:20 - Sep 2 by Radlett_blue

Cliches ain't what they used to be, Brian.

'It's déjà vu all over again', although I haven't heard that for a while.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 09:57 - Sep 2 with 862 viewsWhos_blue

Definitely "journey". Does my head in. (Oh. Is that another?!?)
MAGA
Fake news
"What the public really want is....."
"He's entitled to go down"
"The best (insert word) since the premier league started"
Two up front.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:03 - Sep 2 with 850 viewslowhouseblue

reaching out. - you're not reaching out, you're sending me an email.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:04 - Sep 2 with 850 viewssolemio

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 09:38 - Sep 2 by WeWereZombies

'It's déjà vu all over again', although I haven't heard that for a while.

This was started as a joke. Some folk failed to understand this.

By the way, some interesting facts from Facters in this thread. Now I realise where his name came from.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:31 - Sep 2 with 827 viewsEwan_Oozami

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 22:05 - Sep 1 by Ryorry

"Ghosting" and "gaslighting" are both annoying primarily because very few people actually understand what they mean, least of all the people who use them frequently & loosely.

Just wait till you hear about "breadcrumbing"!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:35 - Sep 2 with 826 viewslongtimefan

“Lived experience”. You don’t experience much if you’re not alive.
Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:45 - Sep 2 with 814 viewsDeano69

making memories
reach out
best life
TOWIE
anything 'sensational' (virtually nothing is)
Jamie Oliver

nah
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 10:59]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:47 - Sep 2 with 814 viewsRadlett_blue

Phrases/rhetoric that people mindlessly parrot that get right on yer tits? on 10:03 - Sep 2 by lowhouseblue

reaching out. - you're not reaching out, you're sending me an email.

Another bit of unbearable American corporate speak. The one I hated - and still do - is "let go". A friend of mine who worked for an American bank described a colleague of his, whom I knew, as having been "let go". Err...no, he was fired (or maybe made redundant). "Let go" makes it sound as if he was some sort of caged animal, on whom his employers had suddenly taken pity.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024