Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Better team won. 14:35 - Sep 25 with 7586 viewsOriginalMarkyP

IMHO

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Better team won. on 11:27 - Sep 26 with 1469 viewsMeadowlark

On the way home now after watching us lose winning positions two weeks running. In my opinion the better team did win yesterday, but in both matches our first substitution changed the momentum and were poor managerial decisions.
It's all very well for KMc to say we have to manage the game better but he needs to look more critically at his own decisions.
In both matches we took a forward off and put a defender on, thus inviting pressure.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 11:28]
Better team won. on 11:45 - Sep 26 with 1435 viewsRadlett_blue

Better team won. on 15:39 - Sep 25 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, I think you were a bit harshly treated on that thread. Maybe "crumbled" invokes something a bit strong, but you are right that "we were in total control one minute and all over the place five minutes later".

This is why Stokie can pull out the Xg stats that show we were the better side... because we were. But we can't continue to panic like that. If we are better or equal for 80mins, but have a 10min defensive spell where we lose our heads and concede, we won't win against the top teams.

No idea where it came from, but it suddenly flowed throughout the team. Just before the second goal I said we need to be calmer. Evan Walton shanked a kick out of play under no pressure because he rushed it.

It seems we need to deal better with times when the home team scores against us & gets some momentum. Best we don't then keep conceding fouls. We were in control against Wednesday & Plymouth but failed to get back into the game as soon as the opposition scored.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Better team won. on 11:48 - Sep 26 with 1429 viewsportmanroadblue

Personally think it was a very even game and a draw would have been a fair result. Both teams had defensive errors and unfortunately Plymouth punished us. We are definitely struggling to see games out, we seem to shut down with 15-20mins to go, not sure why, could be the subs, could be the players are tiring, good game though with a disappointing ending.

On a plus note, not a Jackson fan, but he played well.
Better team won. on 11:50 - Sep 26 with 1427 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Better team won. on 10:46 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

You're becoming rather erratic now.

Firstly, I was supporting McKenna by pointing out the other good metrics from the game, you were the one who discounted them and said only the result matters, hardly steadfast support for McKenna there.

Secondly, it's rather worrying that someone with your advanced knowledge of data analysis doesn't seem to understand what how a simile works and had instead stumbled into thinking this is some kind of political statement.

The only angry person here is you and your fish based insults.

SB

Do you record your speeches for posterity in your bedroom and then listen back to them on noise cancelling headphones and pretend they're being broadcast on Radio 4?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Better team won. on 12:38 - Sep 26 with 1365 viewsOsborneOneNil

Draw was fair. Nothing in it. The collapse in the second half makes people forget the early second half dominance where we could and maybe should have had 2 or 3.

And THAT last minute save. Unreal.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 12:46]
Better team won. on 12:41 - Sep 26 with 1365 viewsDyland

Well yes, in that they scored two cracking strikes but apart from that there was very little in it. Town didn't have shooting boots on.

As has been commented though, it was a fine old game. Walton's header and subsequent save was footy drama at its best.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Better team won. on 12:42 - Sep 26 with 1361 viewsjayessess

Like last week, we took control of the game, looked comfortable, conceded from the first meaningful chance they'd had in the second half, then didn't know how to arrest their momentum and regain control of it.

First half was pretty even, good chances both ends. At 68 minutes we were absolutely the better team and probably merited an addition to our first half lead. By 75 minutes we absolutely deserved to be losing because when they had a spell we gave them the game. Matter of perspective if that's "the better team" winning.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Better team won. on 13:12 - Sep 26 with 1319 viewsmarkchips

Better team won. on 12:42 - Sep 26 by jayessess

Like last week, we took control of the game, looked comfortable, conceded from the first meaningful chance they'd had in the second half, then didn't know how to arrest their momentum and regain control of it.

First half was pretty even, good chances both ends. At 68 minutes we were absolutely the better team and probably merited an addition to our first half lead. By 75 minutes we absolutely deserved to be losing because when they had a spell we gave them the game. Matter of perspective if that's "the better team" winning.

Don't think there was that much in it.

Time for Adahme to get a proper chance, he was scoring regularly for Burton before joining us. I think Ladapo is doing well and would appreciate the help from a physical angle.
Login to get fewer ads

Better team won. on 13:16 - Sep 26 with 1302 viewstextbackup

Better team won. on 14:49 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

Of course they mean something.

Without a contentious decision and a sloppy pass from Edmundson they don't score. It's subjective of course but to say stats mean nothing is weird.

They are the best metric to get a view of the game.

SB

Or, the result of 2-1 probably best sums up the game

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Better team won. on 13:24 - Sep 26 with 1284 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 13:16 - Sep 26 by textbackup

Or, the result of 2-1 probably best sums up the game

So you think the 2-2 against Barnsley probably best sums up the game? Or do you think other metrics might lend more context and accuracy?

I know it's complicated but have a think about it.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Better team won. on 14:06 - Sep 26 with 1211 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Better team won. on 13:24 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

So you think the 2-2 against Barnsley probably best sums up the game? Or do you think other metrics might lend more context and accuracy?

SB

Barnsley scored two goals because our defence went AWOL twice.
We had chances and a “goal “ ruled out but they just about deserved the draw because they played to our weaknesses, ie we’re not that good at defending crosses.

If stats and metrics won football matches, we’d be champions by Christmas.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Better team won. on 14:09 - Sep 26 with 1198 viewsjayessess

Better team won. on 14:06 - Sep 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

We had chances and a “goal “ ruled out but they just about deserved the draw because they played to our weaknesses, ie we’re not that good at defending crosses.

Not sure there is much to discuss about football if every result just perfectly sums up everything that happened in the 90 minutes.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 14:49]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Better team won. on 14:45 - Sep 26 with 1162 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 14:06 - Sep 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

So you'd agree the match was much more complicated that the scoreline suggests and thus using other stats apart from just the scoreline would help to tease out a true picture of the match and it's specifics.

Who said stats won matches?

SB

Better team won. on 15:14 - Sep 26 with 1119 viewsMediocre_Quick

Would disagree, suprise surprise, game was fairly even, the equaliser got their tales up and we fell apart after that

What it was though, was an excellent game!
Better team won. on 15:39 - Sep 26 with 1061 viewsKropotkin123

Better team won. on 12:42 - Sep 26 by jayessess

The problem, as I see it, after a good night's sleep is... When we are going through a period against the better teams, where they have a bit of momentum or time on the ball we suddenly become very panicked. The players start rushing things, playing nervous passes, play more direct, and not doing the basics, etc. It is not an issue that Edmundson made an error, it is that the team are creating the condition to make more and more errors. That one of them will be punished. This is why we can be the better team for 60-70mins, get the goals we deserve and still come out with a draw or loss. It is a mental thing, because we don't have the same collapse of doing the basics against weaker teams.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Better team won. on 15:40 - Sep 26 with 1060 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Better team won. on 14:45 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

So you'd agree the match was much more complicated that the scoreline suggests and thus using other stats apart from just the scoreline would help to tease out a true picture of the match and it's specifics.

Who said stats won matches?

SB

The match wasn’t complicated at all. I saw a Barnsley team ruggedly defend and score two goals against our more fluent attacking style. I was entertained though slightly disappointed we didn’t win.
Yesterday was a cracking game of football and again I was thoroughly entertained though a bit disappointed we didn’t get a favourable result. It wasn’t complicated. They in my opinion just about deserved to win.

SSB.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Better team won. on 15:52 - Sep 26 with 1037 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 15:40 - Sep 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

The match wasn’t complicated at all. I saw a Barnsley team ruggedly defend and score two goals against our more fluent attacking style. I was entertained though slightly disappointed we didn’t win.
Yesterday was a cracking game of football and again I was thoroughly entertained though a bit disappointed we didn’t get a favourable result. It wasn’t complicated. They in my opinion just about deserved to win.

SSB.

None of that has anything to do with what we were discussing with regards to stats and metrics.

I suspect McKenna may perform a more in-depth analysis with said metrics which may be more complicated that your excellent summary of what I agree was a good game

SB

Better team won. on 16:17 - Sep 26 with 981 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Better team won. on 15:13 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

Isn't the final result the best metric to get a view of the game?

It's the only metric they give you points for last time I checked.

No. That gives you a view of who won, not who deserved to win.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Better team won. on 16:23 - Sep 26 with 952 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Better team won. on 17:40 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

The fact we've spent so much on the squad yet are, at best, in the mix rather than ahead is a concern. How much more do we need to spend?

We were ahead until yesterday. Sheesh, some people are so ungrateful!

Better team won. on 14:20 - Sep 28 with 725 viewstextbackup

Better team won. on 13:24 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

SB

How someone that needs to take breaks from a football forum because he gets himself in such a mess, can try and be so arrogant cracks me right up.

Keep going little guy, it gets funnier every time you do it.

Just accept we lost, it happens. They took their chances, we didn’t.

Better team won. on 14:27 - Sep 28 with 710 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 14:20 - Sep 28 by textbackup

How someone that needs to take breaks from a football forum because he gets himself in such a mess, can try and be so arrogant cracks me right up.

Keep going little guy, it gets funnier every time you do it.

Just accept we lost, it happens. They took their chances, we didn’t.

Or alternatively you could actually address points put to you.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 14:28]

Better team won. on 14:58 - Sep 28 with 690 viewstextbackup

Better team won. on 14:27 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

Or alternatively you could actually address points put to you.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 14:28]

I could.

However you seem to never be wrong, and will argue over anything put to you, then try to put others down in the process…

so would rather laugh instead of waste my time putting effort into explaining my point.

Better team won. on 15:05 - Sep 28 with 682 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 14:58 - Sep 28 by textbackup

I could.

However you seem to never be wrong, and will argue over anything put to you, then try to put others down in the process…

so would rather laugh instead of waste my time putting effort into explaining my point.

Interesting that this is becoming the narrative for a few posters on here when I post something.

It's not arguing, it's debating points that I feel are incorrect, it's the main activity undertaken on a forum. The fact you're unable or unwilling to defend your points is up to you.

If the other stats and metrics from a match don't mean anything why do we even bother to collate and record them?

SB

Better team won. on 15:06 - Sep 28 with 674 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Better team won. on 12:41 - Sep 26 by Dyland

Well yes, in that they scored two cracking strikes but apart from that there was very little in it. Town didn't have shooting boots on.

As has been commented though, it was a fine old game. Walton's header and subsequent save was footy drama at its best.

The only thing if it had been scripted is that header would've gone in (and probably a player from each side sent off).

Better team won. on 19:16 - Sep 28 with 612 viewsDerryfromBury

The initial substitutions so soon after the break cost us the game. Totally affected the balance of the team. Sam Morsey being off his game which he was, never helped.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024