Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Better team won. 14:35 - Sep 25 with 7587 viewsOriginalMarkyP

IMHO

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Better team won. on 15:44 - Sep 25 with 1705 viewsTrequartista

Better team won. on 15:39 - Sep 25 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, I think you were a bit harshly treated on that thread. Maybe "crumbled" invokes something a bit strong, but you are right that "we were in total control one minute and all over the place five minutes later".

This is why Stokie can pull out the Xg stats that show we were the better side... because we were. But we can't continue to panic like that. If we are better or equal for 80mins, but have a 10min defensive spell where we lose our heads and concede, we won't win against the top teams.

No idea where it came from, but it suddenly flowed throughout the team. Just before the second goal I said we need to be calmer. Evan Walton shanked a kick out of play under no pressure because he rushed it.

I'm a veteran, it just bounces off me, no problem. I understand people are just frustrated because we've just er, crumbled, and lash out.

I was frustrated too, perhaps if it wasn't the heat of the moment I wouldn't have written "But keep blaming the ref eh" which is mildly provocative now i look back.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Better team won. on 15:44 - Sep 25 with 1699 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 15:13 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

Isn't the final result the best metric to get a view of the game?

It's the only metric they give you points for last time I checked.

Why would it be the best metric of the game? Many games are lost even when the play itself was dominant. By your logic McKenna shouldn't bother spending time analysing a game because all that matters is the score. Must be a huge amount of money that ITFC are wasting on a weekly basis.

By your logic the best team always wins a match and the individual battles and nuances of a performance are irrelevant because only the final score metric gives the "best" view of a game.

Your take is simplistic but to be expected for someone who spent half a year going orgasmic every time Norwood touched the ball.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Better team won. on 15:45 - Sep 25 with 1675 viewsTheBoyBlue

I think they could claim to have deserved victory, but if we'd won I think we could've rightly claimed we deserved it. Two good teams, close game, could've gone either way or been a draw and no one could have any complaints.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Better team won. on 15:47 - Sep 25 with 1667 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

On balance yep I agree.

Close game, but their dominance in the last 25 mins gave them the edge.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Better team won. on 15:48 - Sep 25 with 1648 viewsblueprint

Better team won. on 14:45 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

How low we've come. Not feeling too downbeat over losing at Plymouth in the third tier after holding a 1-0 lead and looking comfortable.

We are where we are.

We’ve got to stop looking back to past glories that we’re over 40 years ago.
Better team won. on 15:49 - Sep 25 with 1648 viewsbungaytractor

Better team won. on 15:44 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

Why would it be the best metric of the game? Many games are lost even when the play itself was dominant. By your logic McKenna shouldn't bother spending time analysing a game because all that matters is the score. Must be a huge amount of money that ITFC are wasting on a weekly basis.

By your logic the best team always wins a match and the individual battles and nuances of a performance are irrelevant because only the final score metric gives the "best" view of a game.

Your take is simplistic but to be expected for someone who spent half a year going orgasmic every time Norwood touched the ball.

SB

Xg ect is a load of made up rubbish imo... if we had warnock do you think hed be looking at stat's and chart's of course not... but hed lay in to these players who arent scoring at the end of the day
Better team won. on 15:56 - Sep 25 with 1607 viewsRyorry

Better team won. on 15:39 - Sep 25 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, I think you were a bit harshly treated on that thread. Maybe "crumbled" invokes something a bit strong, but you are right that "we were in total control one minute and all over the place five minutes later".

This is why Stokie can pull out the Xg stats that show we were the better side... because we were. But we can't continue to panic like that. If we are better or equal for 80mins, but have a 10min defensive spell where we lose our heads and concede, we won't win against the top teams.

No idea where it came from, but it suddenly flowed throughout the team. Just before the second goal I said we need to be calmer. Evan Walton shanked a kick out of play under no pressure because he rushed it.

1. Defensively, we're missing Aluko coming on to shore us up when oppos start turning up the heat (sorry for repeating this point)

2. In support of those on threads saying "we're missing that key striker signing", I think we'd have won if we'd had Whittaker in our 16 - real fizzy player, reminded me somewhat of Jonno.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Better team won. on 16:25 - Sep 25 with 1555 viewsVegtablue

Agreed! Good ding-dong and advert for League One must be said. Certainly we could have won given our opportunities but the great saves came from Walton and I think xG is a slightly flawed metric - neither of their goals will have contributed much to this figure after all and they were excellent finishes of real quality that definitely happened.

Also a reality check for me if not us. Not lost too much confidence from these two away games but they've revealed our main rivals are not obviously inferior. Automatics will be bruising and long.
Login to get fewer ads

Better team won. on 16:33 - Sep 25 with 1533 viewsKropotkin123

Better team won. on 15:56 - Sep 25 by Ryorry

1. Defensively, we're missing Aluko coming on to shore us up when oppos start turning up the heat (sorry for repeating this point)

2. In support of those on threads saying "we're missing that key striker signing", I think we'd have won if we'd had Whittaker in our 16 - real fizzy player, reminded me somewhat of Jonno.

I agree on Aluko. I think he is our best forward off the bench for killing off the game. His control, hold-up play, ability to draw a foul, ability to slow things down and kill the oppositions momentum are all missing qualities from the bench.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Better team won. on 17:30 - Sep 25 with 1437 viewsArnieM

Not for the first time this season, the refs decision changed the game, when we were in the lead. But had we scored the umpteen chances before his cock up of a decision , then that decision would have far less impact.

The refs have cost us 6 points from winning positions this season so far. Yet our part in that is we don’t take our chances when we are clearly on top. However, this doesn’t detract from the simple fact these refs are utter shyte and their decisions are hurting us . I Cant recall a simpler ref decision this season that has given us an advantage.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Better team won. on 17:38 - Sep 25 with 1424 viewswaveneyblue

Better team won. on 14:45 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

How low we've come. Not feeling too downbeat over losing at Plymouth in the third tier after holding a 1-0 lead and looking comfortable.

Last time I looked we were in the 3rd tier of English football and have been for 4 seasons.

So the arrogance and "we should be better" vibe has somewhat died.

Not to say it won't be back, but not just yet
Better team won. on 17:40 - Sep 25 with 1418 viewspointofblue

Better team won. on 16:25 - Sep 25 by Vegtablue

Agreed! Good ding-dong and advert for League One must be said. Certainly we could have won given our opportunities but the great saves came from Walton and I think xG is a slightly flawed metric - neither of their goals will have contributed much to this figure after all and they were excellent finishes of real quality that definitely happened.

Also a reality check for me if not us. Not lost too much confidence from these two away games but they've revealed our main rivals are not obviously inferior. Automatics will be bruising and long.

The fact we've spent so much on the squad yet are, at best, in the mix rather than ahead is a concern. How much more do we need to spend?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Better team won. on 17:44 - Sep 25 with 1415 viewsclive_baker

Better team won. on 14:48 - Sep 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Was Walton busier? Their keeper made a good number of saves (albeit some were regulation ones).

We had 5 shots on target to their 7. I think theirs were of a better quality too, the one he saved low to his right in the 2nd half was very good. Can’t think of too many ‘top’ saves we made their keeper make tbh.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Genuinely.... on 17:46 - Sep 25 with 1402 viewsBloots

Better team won. on 17:30 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Not for the first time this season, the refs decision changed the game, when we were in the lead. But had we scored the umpteen chances before his cock up of a decision , then that decision would have far less impact.

The refs have cost us 6 points from winning positions this season so far. Yet our part in that is we don’t take our chances when we are clearly on top. However, this doesn’t detract from the simple fact these refs are utter shyte and their decisions are hurting us . I Cant recall a simpler ref decision this season that has given us an advantage.

....what ref's decision are you talking about?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Better team won. on 18:39 - Sep 25 with 1309 viewsbraveblue

Not from my view. Nor the stats.
Better team won. on 18:46 - Sep 25 with 1303 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Better team won. on 15:44 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

SB

troll.

I think they were the better team because they made fewer mistakes and punished the ones we made when it mattered.

I've no doubt that we have the better team over a season, but on the day they were better. They won. You just have to accept it. No amount of stats will change that.

And as someone who has to do a lot of data analyisis in their work and can tell you that the stats and metrics are usually there as a guide to what went right and what went wrong, so that you can address it after the fact. In the moment they are meaningless because the result is all that matters. It's what you can learn from them afterwards and put into action to correct that gives them meaning. So maybe try not to spout such nonsense to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Oh, and Norwood? What's your problem? He was our player who I backed as did others, he's no longer our player and I no longer need to support him. You're the one bringing him up. Go on a Barnsley messageboard if you want to talk about him with people who care.

You are a funny pompous fish, you really are.

Better team won. on 18:52 - Sep 25 with 1289 viewsibbleobble

Better team won. on 17:44 - Sep 25 by clive_baker

We had 5 shots on target to their 7. I think theirs were of a better quality too, the one he saved low to his right in the 2nd half was very good. Can’t think of too many ‘top’ saves we made their keeper make tbh.

Agreed. He made a decent save when Mumba was in during the first half too and we were a little fortunate as he should have done better. It was a tight game. First 5 minutes they were on top but the next 15 we took control and did well in possession and winning second balls. The game then got niggly and scrappy but evened out after that. Second half they began to take control. Their press was better and unforced errors crept in.

I’d say they shaded it overall and we’re worthy of a win as they created the better chances. We didn’t have too many clean efforts. Ladapo should have done better on a number of occasions especially with his free header.

Trotting out stats and xg figures tells part of a story, that much should be obvious to all. What was most disappointing is that we didn’t really rally or sustain any pressure in their final third for the last ten.
Better team won. on 21:44 - Sep 25 with 1145 viewsVegtablue

Better team won. on 17:40 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

The fact we've spent so much on the squad yet are, at best, in the mix rather than ahead is a concern. How much more do we need to spend?

Fair concern 😅. However, I would like to raise you by saying we are 'right in the mix', which is an exciting place to be by all accounts.

Think there's no question we'd prefer to be some way clear of Plymouth given expenditure, but League One is that unpredictable meeting place of end and start points isn't it; career ceilings and career apprenticeships. Spend good money on proven league one talent and you inevitably face players in the season who are destined for greater than this league - players who often don't present as obvious targets in the summer due to breakthrough season etc.. Then you have talented young loan players filling squads in more unpredictable ways, likewise difficult to control or fully protect against. Our spending has lifted us to a level where end-point league one squads aren't so much of a problem. We've cleared those hurdles well to date. Plymouth I think are a team who found a good bunch last season and their stardust today came in the form of two loans.

That all being said, I hope I'm not going out on a limb when I say the potential answer to your question is zero! Because this squad is deep and our position healthy. Meaninglessly we remain big favourites with the bookies. I'd love an upgrade on our goalscoring options in January but it may not be needed.
Better team won. on 21:50 - Sep 25 with 1138 viewsWallingford_Boy

Yes.

Not going to be quite the stroll to promotion most on here thought!

RIP Sir Bobby

Better team won. on 22:33 - Sep 25 with 1092 viewscharlie1

Better team won. on 15:24 - Sep 25 by Tangledupin_Blue

What nonsense.

The most important of all stats is 'Number of goals scored' and they finished up just ahead of us.

Then why is so much time and effort wasted across all sports measuring and producing stats?

All McKenna needs to do is turn up at training on Monday, tell his players ‘score more’ and go home and put his feet up.
That’s all that matters.
Better team won. on 22:42 - Sep 25 with 1061 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 18:46 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

troll.

I think they were the better team because they made fewer mistakes and punished the ones we made when it mattered.

I've no doubt that we have the better team over a season, but on the day they were better. They won. You just have to accept it. No amount of stats will change that.

And as someone who has to do a lot of data analyisis in their work and can tell you that the stats and metrics are usually there as a guide to what went right and what went wrong, so that you can address it after the fact. In the moment they are meaningless because the result is all that matters. It's what you can learn from them afterwards and put into action to correct that gives them meaning. So maybe try not to spout such nonsense to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Oh, and Norwood? What's your problem? He was our player who I backed as did others, he's no longer our player and I no longer need to support him. You're the one bringing him up. Go on a Barnsley messageboard if you want to talk about him with people who care.

How do you know I don't know what I am talking about? Quite a presumptuous attitude I would say. For someone who claims to know what they are talking about you don't half talk a load of rubbish.

You've literally changed your entire original point from saying the only metric that was important was the result to saying, actually, all the other metrics are important but just not when I decided to post. It's the kind of U-turn the Tories would be proud of.

SB

Better team won. on 22:55 - Sep 25 with 1044 viewsbungaytractor

Better team won. on 18:46 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

troll.

Wow data is used to see what works and doesnt.... what uni did you go too and are they sill excepting cornflake box voucher's 😂😂
Better team won. on 22:59 - Sep 25 with 1041 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Better team won. on 22:42 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

How do you know I don't know what I am talking about? Quite a presumptuous attitude I would say. For someone who claims to know what they are talking about you don't half talk a load of rubbish.

You've literally changed your entire original point from saying the only metric that was important was the result to saying, actually, all the other metrics are important but just not when I decided to post. It's the kind of U-turn the Tories would be proud of.

SB

Tories?

I love how you take a simple opinion about a game of football and turn it into a political statement.

How very odd. You seem full of anger. We're doing well in the league, McKenna is a breath of fresh air, the best team on the day won, it's not the end of world, get over it.

Better team won. on 06:21 - Sep 26 with 906 viewsPioneerBlue

I have two main concerns from last two weeks

1-we appear to have departed from football principles which got us to here now playing many percentages for willing runners, we have lacked control of ball at key times
2-back up players are not maintaining the level when they get their chances, Edmundson, KVY, Edwards, and to a lesser extent TJJ

All this might be a reaction in the face of a couple of tough games, October doesn’t get easier. What makes it interesting is that despite changing game plan it worked to an extent but we’ve not then been able to dig in and protect leads, that’s where Burgess and Leigh are definitely missed.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Better team won. on 10:46 - Sep 26 with 810 viewsStokieBlue

Better team won. on 22:59 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

Tories?

I love how you take a simple opinion about a game of football and turn it into a political statement.

How very odd. You seem full of anger. We're doing well in the league, McKenna is a breath of fresh air, the best team on the day won, it's not the end of world, get over it.

You're becoming rather erratic now.

Firstly, I was supporting McKenna by pointing out the other good metrics from the game, you were the one who discounted them and said only the result matters, hardly steadfast support for McKenna there.

Secondly, it's rather worrying that someone with your advanced knowledge of data analysis doesn't seem to understand what how a simile works and had instead stumbled into thinking this is some kind of political statement.

The only angry person here is you and your fish based insults.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024