Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? 08:54 - Oct 13 with 2909 viewsfab_lover

Firstly, I'm not interested n the opinions of anti-vaxxers / people who believe this is somehow part of the "great reset" or any of that nonsense.

I've been offered the flu / Covid booster as I'm over 50. Mid fifties, "rude" good health (fat bar steward who can walk at a very brisk pace for >90 minutes without stopping despite being a smoker).

Had Covid in June, was fairly mild (i.e. didn't keep me in bed).

Had the flu jab for the first time last year, then in November the Moderna booster which really laid me out. Then had dreadful breathing issues (yes, correlation isn't causation) for the next 2 months, only went when I went to Thailand. Had some strange flu (definitely wasn't Covid, I tested) a month ago.

I want to be a "responsible citizen" but given I've had both Covid and the flu in the last 6 months, plus the nasty effects of the 3rd jab I had 11 months ago - is putting more stuff in my body a good idea or not ? I genuinely don't know...would love some SENSIBLE advice from you good people - many thanks.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 15:26 - Oct 13 with 805 viewslongtimefan

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 13:11 - Oct 13 by PiercingBlue

had fourth covid and flu jabs at the same time with absolutely no ill effects

I had mine a week apart. Flu the Saturday before last and Covid last Saturday. Because of the closeness they gave my Covid booster (Pfizer bivalent) in my right arm , whereas all previous jabs have been in my left. I had a really painful right arm the day following the covid booster, far more so than any previous injection. Whether this was due to an arm change or the change in vaccine I don't know. No other side effects at all.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 15:39 - Oct 13 with 784 viewsStokieBlue

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 13:04 - Oct 13 by BlueBadger

I wouldn't have them both at the same time, but I'd had them. Flu virulence is reported as being up this winter and I'd be inclined to err on the safe side, particularly if you're either in a vulnerable group or work/associate with vulnerable people.

This is quite interesting, in theory there should be no reason why you can't have both at the same time although the flu vaccine is essentially a weakened strain of flu so that might be harsher on the body.

Going forward, the immune system can cope with learning to stop two proteins at a time, in fact there are discussions around developing an mRNA vaccine that will cover flu, covid and about 7 to 20 other things (TB for instance) in a single jab.

This is possible because with these vaccines you encode the protein not the virus and then teach the body to recognise that protein and because it's like computer programming there is no real limit to the number of proteins you can encode for in a single vaccine.

It's a completely different to historical vaccines which can only be tailored for a single virus.

We are obviously some way from that at the moment though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 17:13 - Oct 13 with 734 viewsChorleyBoy

I've had COVID jabs but never had a flu one.

I'd keep my defences high by taking Vit D, selenium and zinc supplements (like they do in Scandinavian countries in the winter months) and eating healthily, smoking less and drinking plenty of water.

Oh, and avoid stress- easier said than done.

Good luck.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 18:30 - Oct 13 with 699 viewsphillymark

I've had every booster. All fine, all good. Get them
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 21:15 - Oct 13 with 678 viewsjeera

I had a nasty reaction to the last one last year, (the 3rd one).

And because of that I would like to have a grown-up chat with a medical professional who might actually listen and advise me rather than the idiot I tried to tell at the time who went into full-on denial as though he was trying to manage someone who doubted the safety of vaccines.

I want the thing, I just want to make sure I have the right one for me!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 23:16 - Oct 13 with 648 viewsRyorry

I had 4th (Moderna) just over a week ago, achy arm & tireder than usual for 24 hrs, otherise no side effects.

Am on second-tier immuno-suppressants for auto immune illnesses, so thought I'd have a better chance of developing antibodies for each if I had em separately with 2 weeks between - flu jab's next week.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 23:40 - Oct 13 with 638 viewsLord_Lucan

Do not take what I am saying as advice, I am merely having a chit chat.

Not sure why but my take is that I would have every covid booster I was offered but I wouldn't have a flu jab and I have never had one.

At 57 years of age I have only had flu once and it was a bit of a bügger but que sera. I'm confident I would breeze through the flu but with Covid being still relatively unknown and potentially volatile I'll take a booster all day long.

Recently found out an old mate of mine died during the original Covid sortie and he was an athlete built like a brick whatsisname.

To me Covid is too much of an uncertain bag. Get the booster baby!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 00:03 - Oct 14 with 619 viewsKropotkin123

I'm in my mid thirties and I get the flu vaccine offered at my work. I take them up on this offer as:
- I'd rather not get ill if they are correct about the likely variant.
- I'd rather not spread it to vulnerable people (not catching it impacts this)
- There is no significant risk of me taking it

I apply the same rationale to Covid boosters.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 05:30 - Oct 14 with 572 viewsdickie

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 15:39 - Oct 13 by StokieBlue

This is quite interesting, in theory there should be no reason why you can't have both at the same time although the flu vaccine is essentially a weakened strain of flu so that might be harsher on the body.

Going forward, the immune system can cope with learning to stop two proteins at a time, in fact there are discussions around developing an mRNA vaccine that will cover flu, covid and about 7 to 20 other things (TB for instance) in a single jab.

This is possible because with these vaccines you encode the protein not the virus and then teach the body to recognise that protein and because it's like computer programming there is no real limit to the number of proteins you can encode for in a single vaccine.

It's a completely different to historical vaccines which can only be tailored for a single virus.

We are obviously some way from that at the moment though.

SB

I was told this year when I had my flu jab that it is an inactivated version of the virus (I don't know whether that makes a difference)
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 06:56 - Oct 14 with 555 viewsEly_Blue

Had my flu jab last Sunday and had no side effects, although I tested positive for covid within a couple of days, probably would have been positive the day after but put the sniffles and head cold down to the effects of the jab, had been with work colleagues and a customer on Monday so felt a duty of care to take a covid test, otherwise I think I’d have just brushed it off as the first cold of the winter and carried on as normal, it’s a really mild dose of the virus for me this time, still trying to decide if I should risk going to the game tomorrow though

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 08:38 - Oct 14 with 530 viewsElephantintheRoom

A flu vaccine is pretty pointless for most people as it is a ‘best guess’ at what strains might occur. - and they rarely if ever do occur It can’t do any harm really and is only beneficial to those at risk - ie the elderly and those with co-mornities.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 08:47 - Oct 14 with 525 viewsChurchman

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 08:38 - Oct 14 by ElephantintheRoom

A flu vaccine is pretty pointless for most people as it is a ‘best guess’ at what strains might occur. - and they rarely if ever do occur It can’t do any harm really and is only beneficial to those at risk - ie the elderly and those with co-mornities.

I think it is wrong to call flu vaccine ‘pretty pointless’. My very limited understanding is that the vaccine covers a number of the considerable number of strains of the virus. I don’t know what the percentage is, but if it’s say 10%, I’ll take that.

I’ve actually never had proper flu but I know people who have - not nice and with the years piling up I’ll take what’s on offer.. If it ‘can’t do any harm’, why not?
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 08:57 - Oct 14 with 519 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Had my COVID booster yesterday - feel so rough today. Ache all over, headache and couldn't sleep last night. I was fine with the previous jabs.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 19:39 - Oct 14 with 463 viewsHARRY10

If you don't then let us know so we can use you as a sort of guinea pig. As in ...........Fab lover snuffed it so I better get my booster

Seriously, it comes down to risk over return. Some will get uncomfortable side effects, but I doubt there's been (m)any deaths attributed to the booster.

Whereas, with the disbelievers*, there were too many stories of them wishing they had taken the original jab, and it was too late. We all have greater responsibilities (family) than just ourselves

I cannot see you having any regrets in taking it (other than discomfit), but the chance of a regret in not having it is not something I would want to live with.

In fact you won't live with it for very long, if that is any comfort

* swear filter blocked other words
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024