Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd 16:39 - Dec 10 with 8255 viewsnodge_blue

The players need support. Of course, there’s tension when you’ve dropped points late on in your last game,

Think he's right. We as a 25k crowd just go quiet at times. It's good to create an atmosphere away but we need to up it at home to help get this campaign over the line.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:41 - Dec 10 with 5326 viewsDubtractor

Tbh, it was a really weird/dead atmosphere in the first half. Not sure if the crowd reflected the game, or the game reflected the crowd, but it was really odd. Not helped by Peterborough wasting time at every opportunity, making the pace of the game mega slow.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:43 - Dec 10 with 5270 viewsFrimleyBlue

On a bitterly cold afternoon, the game didn't really follow previous home games in the way we played it, that's not a negative, but I felt it was more of chess game today and not one that was going to get people off their seats.

Trust will come with more wins at home and seeing games through, when you've dropped so many points at home, it can't be a shock that the majority of the crowd are going to be nervous.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:49 - Dec 10 with 5227 viewsEastTownBlue

There was certainly a sense of nervousness amongst the crowd. Although lunchtime kick offs have never usually been great for a decent atmosphere at matches.
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:50 - Dec 10 with 5212 viewsnodge_blue

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:43 - Dec 10 by FrimleyBlue

On a bitterly cold afternoon, the game didn't really follow previous home games in the way we played it, that's not a negative, but I felt it was more of chess game today and not one that was going to get people off their seats.

Trust will come with more wins at home and seeing games through, when you've dropped so many points at home, it can't be a shock that the majority of the crowd are going to be nervous.

You could say support should be unconditional.

I sit in the Magnus middle tier and so many people just sit there saying nothing. Even though there's no singing as such there I'll often just shout out come on town etc. I don't know why people feel inhibited or something.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:00 - Dec 10 with 5130 viewswkj

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:43 - Dec 10 by FrimleyBlue

Bitter cold rarely usually impacts support from town fans. Ipswich 3 - 0 Leicester under RK was a good example of this, by most accounts it was a game that shouldn't have ever seen kick off.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:01 - Dec 10 with 5111 viewsstonojnr

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:50 - Dec 10 by nodge_blue

You could say support should be unconditional.

I sit in the Magnus middle tier and so many people just sit there saying nothing. Even though there's no singing as such there I'll often just shout out come on town etc. I don't know why people feel inhibited or something.

25k plus fans for a lunchtime kickoff league 1 game when it's freezing cold and people are worried about money IS unconditional support.

There are plenty of other ways you can spend the same time & money and get far more for your money, never forget that.

Ipswich crowds have always been reserved, you want a singalong go sit in the North & let others enjoy the game on their terms.
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:02 - Dec 10 with 5065 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:00 - Dec 10 by wkj

Bitter cold rarely usually impacts support from town fans. Ipswich 3 - 0 Leicester under RK was a good example of this, by most accounts it was a game that shouldn't have ever seen kick off.

quite, I did explain further why I felt it would have been a bit flat too.

Waka waka eh eh

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:05 - Dec 10 with 5019 viewsBlue_Order

BA the only ones putting any effort in. I didn’t hear anything from anywhere else until the 51st minute. Fleetwood game was the same, although that took until the 60th minute.

Everyone always makes excuses for it but the fact is Ipswich fans at Portman Road just can’t be arsed to get behind their team.
Login to get fewer ads

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:06 - Dec 10 with 4971 viewsGeoffSentence

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 16:41 - Dec 10 by Dubtractor

Tbh, it was a really weird/dead atmosphere in the first half. Not sure if the crowd reflected the game, or the game reflected the crowd, but it was really odd. Not helped by Peterborough wasting time at every opportunity, making the pace of the game mega slow.

I thought the North Stand was pretty good at the start of the first half in the face of some pretty poor football. The more it went on like a sort of pre-season kick about, the more the atmosphere faded.

My favourite bit of atmosphere was Posh singing 'e-i-e-i-e-i-o up the football league we go' half heartedly having scraped an equaliser out of nowhere.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:09 - Dec 10 with 4900 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:05 - Dec 10 by Blue_Order

BA the only ones putting any effort in. I didn’t hear anything from anywhere else until the 51st minute. Fleetwood game was the same, although that took until the 60th minute.

Everyone always makes excuses for it but the fact is Ipswich fans at Portman Road just can’t be arsed to get behind their team.

25000 people going clearly can be as$ed to get behind the team by going. it's not a condition of the ticket sales that you must sing.

Most clubs have 1 or 2 areas of vocal fans, PR isn't any different. It was always the same even back in the 99 promotion season, sometimes the ground overall got involved, but mostly it was the north stand alone whilst the others just watched.

Waka waka eh eh

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:09 - Dec 10 with 4905 viewsLankHenners

Same most games - people give up chanting/singing etc. as soon as the opposition score and only make a noise when they're shouting at the ref.

It's like the expectation is that the team should be giving them something to shout about (which is of course true to an extent) and then sulk if it doesn't happen.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Everyone was sober.... on 17:09 - Dec 10 with 4906 viewsBloots

....but yeah, pathetic effort from most today.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:09 - Dec 10 with 4904 viewsDubtractor

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:06 - Dec 10 by GeoffSentence

I thought the North Stand was pretty good at the start of the first half in the face of some pretty poor football. The more it went on like a sort of pre-season kick about, the more the atmosphere faded.

My favourite bit of atmosphere was Posh singing 'e-i-e-i-e-i-o up the football league we go' half heartedly having scraped an equaliser out of nowhere.

I liked when they sung 'You're not singing anymore' after they equalised, which implied we had indeed been singing.

We're a weird set of supporters, so conditioned to failure in the last 2 decades, that even the slightest dip in form (a couple of draws) seems to suck all the positivity out of us.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:17 - Dec 10 with 4786 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Yes, sounded particularly flat on iFollow today. Just as I felt you could feel the cold with the lack of snappy play in the first half, you could feel it in the lack of atmosphere. Even tucked up in the comfort of home, there was a sense of trepidation in the air.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:24 - Dec 10 with 4671 viewsBroadhill

After 20 years of dross it's hard to believe anything better will happen.
Dare to believe? Not me until its rubber stamped l won't be convinced.
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:28 - Dec 10 with 4626 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:05 - Dec 10 by Blue_Order

I really appreciate what BA are doing but think we should be careful not to make this into an "us and them" thing. Many Town fans will support the team but lack the confidence to start a chant or be the only one around them singing. Lots of things do affect the atmosphere and, overall, Town fans have been led by the performance on the pitch rather than the ones to drive the atmosphere. The away following has been much better for driving it.

And, in response to the OP, if McKenna was at all critical of this then he is in good company. I am sure Sir Bobby said pretty much the same thing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:29 - Dec 10 with 4622 viewsBobbychase

Have said this before, some of our fans should get on the road a bit more to see what's possible. Only one stand really sings at our place. Plymouth make more noise with 15,000 because the whole stadium joins in.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:34 - Dec 10 with 4544 viewsGeoffSentence

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:28 - Dec 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

I really appreciate what BA are doing but think we should be careful not to make this into an "us and them" thing. Many Town fans will support the team but lack the confidence to start a chant or be the only one around them singing. Lots of things do affect the atmosphere and, overall, Town fans have been led by the performance on the pitch rather than the ones to drive the atmosphere. The away following has been much better for driving it.

And, in response to the OP, if McKenna was at all critical of this then he is in good company. I am sure Sir Bobby said pretty much the same thing.

Bobby was rather more brutal

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:34 - Dec 10 with 4538 viewsBobbychase

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:09 - Dec 10 by FrimleyBlue

25000 people going clearly can be as$ed to get behind the team by going. it's not a condition of the ticket sales that you must sing.

Most clubs have 1 or 2 areas of vocal fans, PR isn't any different. It was always the same even back in the 99 promotion season, sometimes the ground overall got involved, but mostly it was the north stand alone whilst the others just watched.

Doesn't help the team to have 25,000 people in the ground and most of them quiet. Helps the bank balance though which will prove useful come transfer window time.

The problem I have is that a lot of people go, and won't encourage the team or join in with singing but are very, very quick to find their voices if there is a misplaced pass or other mistake, and THAT definitely transfers itself to the players in tight games.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:47 - Dec 10 with 4422 viewsChurchman

24,800 at the game today. On a cold December day, two weeks before Christmas with a lot of people facing economic hardship in the coming month/years. It was the second highest attendance in the Championship (Sheffield U 27k) or L1.

I think that’s amazing.

Do I wish all four sides were roaring the team on Bolton play off style? Of course. But it isn’t like that, never has been and never will be. It’s the same with most clubs and most of their home games.

I’m just over the moon that interest in the club and the club itself is moving in the right direction.
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:53 - Dec 10 with 4355 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:47 - Dec 10 by Churchman

24,800 at the game today. On a cold December day, two weeks before Christmas with a lot of people facing economic hardship in the coming month/years. It was the second highest attendance in the Championship (Sheffield U 27k) or L1.

I think that’s amazing.

Do I wish all four sides were roaring the team on Bolton play off style? Of course. But it isn’t like that, never has been and never will be. It’s the same with most clubs and most of their home games.

I’m just over the moon that interest in the club and the club itself is moving in the right direction.

Am I imagining that the atmosphere was consistently good in the seasons going into the Premier League and the first one up? Which, again, is the performance on the pitch driving the atmosphere.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:58 - Dec 10 with 4302 viewsWickets

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:17 - Dec 10 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Yes, sounded particularly flat on iFollow today. Just as I felt you could feel the cold with the lack of snappy play in the first half, you could feel it in the lack of atmosphere. Even tucked up in the comfort of home, there was a sense of trepidation in the air.

That's the problem too many lazy so and so's watching on ifollow instead of singing g their heads off at Portman RD .. please note this is a tongue in cheek comment .
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 18:04 - Dec 10 with 4238 viewsOldFart71

If we saw off teams by scoring a second, third or fourth maybe there wouldn't be so much tension. Also two other things spring to mind. Firstly the number of games we have been ahead, only to draw or lose as at Plymouth and it is always at the back of fans minds are previous seasons. I know we look better, more organised, better backing, a great manager etc but the thought of failure is never far from their minds.
Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 18:06 - Dec 10 with 4224 viewsjaykay

may be some cant remember our european nights in the 70s and 80s or maybe some had hadn't been thought of.

Town Fans Praised Again 31st Mar 2001 18:36
Town's fans have been praised again with Premier League chief Richard Scudamore using the Portman Road atmosphere as an example of one Premiership ground that hasn't become more like a library. 0

sir alex said ipswich fans make the ground rock well before this article

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 18:07 - Dec 10 with 4222 viewsBLUEBEAT

Think that McKenna just had a slight dig at the crowd on 17:29 - Dec 10 by Bobbychase

Have said this before, some of our fans should get on the road a bit more to see what's possible. Only one stand really sings at our place. Plymouth make more noise with 15,000 because the whole stadium joins in.

So true.

Portman Road is a pretty quiet ground considering the amount of attendees.

You can hear how loud it can be when we score but there isn’t a constant wave of noise that you hear at a lot of other grounds. Plymouth, as mentioned, is a good example of a smaller ground created a fine roar. Lincoln is another.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024